Cool Britannia (sort of): the British thread 2019

1808182838486»

Comments

• NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Sorry to double post.

Throughout this year I've been filling a flower jug that belonged to my mum with slips of paper on which I've written things I'm thankful for. I'm looking forward to reviewing them all this afternoon. It's been a difficult year for Family Nen but there have been things to be thankful for; probably more than I realise.

Meanwhile, I've done a grocery shop and we're out this evening seeing the New Year in with friends. No more driving for me today so hello to wine with my lunch. :smile:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited December 2019
    It's a really glorious day here - not very warm (3°) - but the sun's splitting the trees. Should be quite nice, if a bit chilly, for the revellers later on. My brother's flat has a balcony from which I understand we can see the fireworks being set off at the castle, which should be rather fun.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    That sounds delightful, Piglet! Have a great time.
  • Gloomy and dull further south!
  • As has been the case for a number of years, (even before we had kids) I expect to be in bed for "the bells". I've never been a fan of New Year parties and celebrations.
    The last time I remember being up and actually noticing it was Midnight on the 31st was 10 years ago when our oldest was just 7 weeks old and needed a feed.
    As the New Year arrived, I had a girl in one hand, and a bottle in the other....
  • I don't have a choice - Herself is Scottish.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    As the New Year arrived, I had a girl in one hand, and a bottle in the other....
    True for many, I suspect, though not quite in the way you describe!

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited December 2019
    While @Piglet swans around on her balcony (if that's not too zoologically confusing) I expect to be standing on the Meadows, champagne at the ready.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Nenya wrote: »

Throughout this year I've been filling a flower jug that belonged to my mum with slips of paper on which I've written things I'm thankful for. I'm looking forward to reviewing them all this afternoon. It's been a difficult year for Family Nen but there have been things to be thankful for; probably more than I realise.

What a lovely idea.
    We’re off to friends’ for the evening. I”m not a party animal but other half likes that sort of thing. Our eldest is pleased because us going out means his father won’t be drinking (he’s the driver) and so son can go to a party in town and we can give him a lift home in the early hours.
    Quite right, Firenze - I shall raise my glass in your general direction! :)

@Wet Kipper, are you quite sure you're Scottish? :wink:

Crudites have been chopped (not very artistically), raita has been made (both by me), and my s-i-l has just arrived with the curries from Mother India which will be the main course. Apparently we're going to have some just now for quality control purposes (or it may be because she's run out of pots to heat it up in ... ).
  • I’m with @Wet Kipper, in spirit at least. The aim is to be asleep before the fireworks begin, so they can’t keep me awake. (There is also a procession with flaming torches first).
    #partypooperandproud.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Waiting for the guests chez rouge. On the menu:

Various canapes
    Foie gras
    Roasted duck with quinces and roast potatoes

Cheese and dessert being provided by the guests so we don't know what they are yet. There is also WINE, obviously (Champagne because you have to, and a nice Bordeaux for the duck).

PS Please pretty please can we call next year's British thread "More tea vicar"? I've wanted to call it that for years and I never get there in time 😋
  • 'Take some more tea,' the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.

'I've had nothing yet,' Alice replied in an offended tone, 'so I can't take more.'

'You mean you can't take less,' said the Hatter: 'it's very easy to take more than nothing.'
  • Just had a lovely dinner cooked by husband, son and I. Brussels sprout tart, roast potatoes with thyme, roast parsnips, sage and onion stuffing, amazing vegetarian pigs in blankets ( who knew that you could make aubergine taste like bacon) , carrots with caraway and peas with mint. Totally stuffed and very happy.
    Here’s to a 2020 that is as good as it can be for all of us.
  • [...] PS Please pretty please can we call next year's British thread "More tea vicar"? I've wanted to call it that for years and I never get there in time 😋
    Yes, please! :)

• Number Two son turned up unexpectedly - he'd been back with his unit since Boxing Day - so we had a crowd for dinner before the younger generation went out to party and I sat back with a glass of champagne, one ear on the TV and the other on the dishwasher, which has developed an annoying small leak.

Idiot locals who can't tell the time started to let loose with fireworks at 11.50pm so the barrage lasted for a good 30 minutes all told.

Happy New Year everyone: may it bring health, wealth and contentment.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited January 1
    Happy new year!

Another vote for ‘more tea’ here. It reflects our discussions nicely :)

Went to bed about 2.30/3am, having been to friends’ for the evening. Have had a lazy morning so far and really must go out for a walk soon to start the new year with some good habits. We’re having half a salmon for lunch, with lots of veggies.
    The dishwasher heater has broken so lots of washing up to catch up on and I need to nag my husband to order replacement parts (dh is a technical whizz so will fix it himself but he’s off to a US tech fair next week!).
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Wesley J wrote: »
    [...] PS Please pretty please can we call next year's British thread "More tea vicar"? I've wanted to call it that for years and I never get there in time 😋
    Yes, please! :smile:

I like that choice too. :smile:
  • I don't drink tea.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Indeed! Happy New Year all around! :)

I had a leisurely News Year's Eve, paying off a couple of final bills, and doing a bit of tidying and cleaning at home.

After the big local village church had burned down here on Christmas Eve, or rather, it's still standing, yet much of it got seriously damaged, there were no church bells to be heard, which is a surprisingly great acoustic loss! (Nor is there any quarter-hourly ding-dong, telling you the time.)

The small local RC church did their best, but their bells are nowhere near as impressive as the big church ones. So, to take in the full festive acoustics, I decided to go on a nightly walk out and about in the fields, from where I could hear a great many churches doing their ringing thing for the about 15 minutes to midnight, and then, right after midnight, the same thing started again until a quarter past. I even heard the single bell of a small church, far out in the sticks, for the first time ever, where they only rarely have services these days!

Weatherwise and luckily, there was a very dense fog, which, while leaving the impressive sounds intact, as I found with glee considerably blurred any fireworks people did let off, which must have miffed them no end. :D Frankly, I don't understand why one might feel the need to start a new year with a multitude of humongous bangs. Just a waste of money and quiet and clean air. :)

Today, I may manage to go up onto one of the higher hills, or perhaps at the end of the week! The constant low cloud cover seems impenetrable to much sunlight, and up there all things are just bright and beautiful.

Wishing everyone a blesséd and wellbeing'd New Year from Continental WesShire! :)
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    I don't drink tea.

I'm sure there's beverages to leave you in high spirits too!
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Happy New Year everyone 🤗

Last night's dinner was a great success. We thought the second foie gras turned out even better than the first one.

The cheeses were provided by husband en rouge's best mate and ranged from fairly innocuous (a truffled creamy cows' cheese resembling Chaource) to UN-classified bio weapon (a highly aged Corsican sheep cheese). The remains are now out on our balcony on account of being too smelly to go in the fridge.

Dessert was a sort of black forest cheesecake made by a German friend of mine. About half of it is left and husband en rouge doesn't really like desserts so I suppose I'm just going to have to eat it all. 😛

For lunch today I have picked all the remaining meat off the duck and we are having parmentier de canard (hachis parmentier is what the French call cottage pie, in honour of the agronomist who introduced potato cultivation to France).
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited January 1
    Happy New Year everyone.

It’s good to be home to see the dogs again and get back into a normal routine.

But I’m going to miss our little granddaughter and her Mum and Dad!

Back there in February for a week :)
  • ThomasinaThomasina Shipmate
    Happy New Year to All Here!

I'm with the 'let the year come in by itself' brigade. It always seems to manage it. Never heard a single firework last night - there are advantages (not many though!) in being deaf!

Unfortunately I have run out of food suitable for a light lunch! I have plenty of things in the freezer for dinner (or tea) and breakfast is easy, porridge and toast, but I forgot lunch! Now have an empty fridge, bread is running out, silly me! Can't get out, Tesco's not coming until Tuesday (when my order will be huge!) Can you Shippies who can rustle up a gourmet meal from nothing send any suggestions? No potatoes either.

And Yes please! to the tea with the vicar!!
    edited January 1
    I don't drink tea.

That's OK - you're the organist, not the vicar ...

I'll see myself out.

Actually, I like the idea, so I think it'll do nicely. Other virtual beverages of your choice will, of course, be provided. :)

I'll close this thread now and start the new one.

Piglet, AS host
This discussion has been closed.