AS: Far flung southern lands 2019

Comments

• Keep an eye for clean washing heading your way,Zappa. Major cold change on eastern Australia. Snow down to many lower levels. Probably just up the road from here. Absolute gale this morning. I had washing out to dry on a rack on verandah outside my door. On return to door I saw DIL washing draped artfully over garden and chookyard fence. Mine had been draped over rack, hers had been pegged with strong pegs.
  • RowenRowen Shipmate Posts: 15
    Cold? Did someone mention cold?
    Tell that to the lady who lives in the Alps!

Just come home from a day out at meetings. Warming the house as quick as I can.
    Major snow up top. Very sullen weather here. It will be interesting to see if it snows.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    People do that in Orkney too. I used to work for a firm of solicitors and estate agents and I remember my boss trying to talk sense into people who wanted to buy houses without proper surveys, having probably only seen them in July.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    Keep an eye for clean washing heading your way,Zappa. Major cold change on eastern Australia. Snow down to many lower levels. Probably just up the road from here. Absolute gale this morning. I had washing out to dry on a rack on verandah outside my door. On return to door I saw DIL washing draped artfully over garden and chookyard fence. Mine had been draped over rack, hers had been pegged with strong pegs.

I've been getting some laps in while I've been here in 37ish South, swimming in a heated outdoor pool. I didn't today. Brrr. Not 45 South brrr, but a different sort of windy miserable brrr that reminds me why I don't like this region on the butt end of the Western Isles.

Still: six daughters and some old friendships make it bearable. Lunch today with a daughter in Sunbury, dinner last night with my training vicar and his wife (and the sad news that Melbourne Anglican fixture Bishop James Grant had died the night before) ... dinner with another daughter or two out Doreen/Mernda, suburbs that didn't even exist when I lived here, an afternoon out on another daughter's farm out Woodend-way ... and some nice restaurants and coffee houses (Fitzroy, Coburg, Gisborne ... ). The denouement approaching now, though ...
  • I know someone from a frosty NSW area who moved to those areas this year. She has been bowled over by southern cold. Katoomba has been rocked by the death of a long serving ambulance officer and the serious injuries of her adult son. A tree was blown over onto their car. She was killed almost instantly .

That sort of thing puts chasing washing around the yard into perspective.
  • Galloping GrannyGalloping Granny Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    Our parish uses a Scottish lectionary and material called Spill the Beans, and we're currently in the second week of Daniel from the Apocrypha: Bel the idol who ate the food that was brought to him. Today's hitch: the reader hadn't prepared it (very unlike him; didn't hear his excuse). Problem; can't use pew bibles. Simple solution; someone Google the passage on their smartphone. So we had the second of Daniel's detective triumphs: seventy priests with their wives and children consumed "twelve great measures of fine flour, and forty sheep, and six vessels of wine" (doesn't sound like much of a meal — I presume the sheep had been butchered and cooked?) and left their footprints in the ashes on the floor. And the king had them all put to death, men women and children.
    There are some great stories in the Apocrypha; it's a shame the king had to kill the children though.
    Last week it was Susanna and the Elders, another nice bit of detection.
    Next Sunday we have a young minister preaching for a call; he sounds a more likely prospect than the only other one who's come in the couple of years of the vacancy.
    (I had to explain to a Methodist friend that in Presbyterian terms 'preaching for a call' has nothing to do with an altar call.)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And sadly 2 more deaths from a tree falling onto a car, this time in the Dandenongs.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Very sad. I remember well being told of the dangers of gum trees in particular as a youth.

Second semester starts today and I am doing a subject on public policy data analytics -- with an essay due next Friday. No point waiting around.

I bought myself a bike two weeks ago and I have been roaming around the various bike paths, including this rather nice newish one. The new river bridge in particular is proving very popular. Happy to be in a region where art and beauty can be considered as important as function.
    When I was an undergrad there in the last '70s and earliest '80s Palmy was bland to the max. Its facelift has been a welcome development - as has been the case in many Aotearoa towns.

After a brief sojourn across in the rectal end of the Western Isles I'm back where I belong. I'm not sure which is colder.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Zappa wrote: »
    ... the rectal end of the Western Isles ...
    What a delightful description ... :confused:
  • rexoryrexory Shipmate Posts: 41
    ... the rectal end of the Western Isles ...
    I can just see it as the next ad for Tourism Victoria. Beats the heck out of "Where the b....y hell are you?"!

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Welcome back Rexory!
    edited July 2019
    Hello rexory!

Semester two has started with a bang. Week 1 this week and I have an essay, thankfully small and little research needed (relatively), due next Friday. Block course for 2 days in windy Wellington next week too. The subject/course is Public Policy Data Analytics and looks interesting...I'm doing the public policy track.

The grey winter I was promised is living up to expectations. Murmurings among colleagues about wanting the warmer weather are becoming more frequent.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    This is almost embarrassing, In August last year I had two backpacks replaced due to the lining shredding. One of the replacements had a strap disconnect and as the shop Manager told me to bring it back if there were any problems - I did. They sent it to the local factory but it couldn't be fixed, so the invited to chose another one. I am now the happy owner of a deep purple backpack.

I have thus cost them 3 replacements within a year. Fortunately they have changed the fabric they are using for the linings, but I think adjustable straps could do with being redesigned.
  • I wonder if that will occur to them? Sound as if design or materials or workmanship needs a rethink.
    Off to the Capital after work today for 2 days of study. Not a break as such, but looking forward to the change in scenery. Wellington is a very nice city.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Wellington to me is Heaven ...a perfect combination of hills, harbour, bush, sky, people, culture and politics.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I love Wellington too, but my family are in the Hutt valley and I travel everywhere by public transport. It takes an hour to get into town from where my youngest brother lives. When I lived there it wasn't a problem, now because I am there for a limited time, know fewer people, and have less energy I don't enjoy it as much. Also as I go in August for my oldest brother's birthday, the weather isn't usually at its best.

I think next year I may go in February and save madly beforehand so I can stay a couple of nights in the city.

A couple of small shakes here Saturday night and one that I totally missed this morning. A seismologist says we have a sixty something percent chance of not having another big one (actually she gave our odds for having one, but I'm being optimistic), I reckon I have more chance of being hit by a crazy motorist speeding through the roadworks at the end of my street. Some people here only need to see the warning signs and they speed up - open season on pedestrians!
  • LaudableLaudable Shipmate
    We gave Bishop James Grant AM a stately and loving farewell on Friday last, Archbishop Freier presiding. Splendid music (the hymns all proper ‘belters’), and a fine sermon from Bishop David Farrar. All the archbishops/bishops were in violet cope and mitre simplex, and after the Commendation in the cathedral close the procession, led by crucifer and taperers and the archbishop preceding the hearse, set off northwards along Flinders Street for a city block while a half muffled peal was rung.

He was a lovely man, a fine historian, and a dear friend. May he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

Amen. Sounds like a wonderful, if that is not an inappropriate word, funeral.
  • I read Zappa’s comments about the man and was impressed. Your account of the service, Laudable, made me weep.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Thank you for the report.
  • I also found online the order of service. I found it impressive and thorough.
  • mr curlymr curly Shipmate Posts: 42
    For those with long memories, Blackaxe’s husband, at about age 43, is having triple bypass surgery in next week. Investigations sparked by a minor incident so no residual heart damage apparent. Please pray.
    On a brighter note, I’ve just returned from a trip to Birdsville to attend the Big Red Bash music festival. That’s 2,000 km each way, camping in the middle of the desert with 10,000 other people to see/hear three days of rather nostalgic music.

Travelled with 2 long time friends in a 4WD camper van, 4 days to get there, 3 days back. Amazing experience.

And Midnight Oil were AWESOME!

Feeling refreshed from the break. Had some big things going on at the NSW UCA synod earlier in the month, so looking forward to slightly quieter times when I return to work on Wednesday. Meanwhile, an old duffer from a dying church has left me a voice mail everyday I’ve been away expecting to be treated like royalty. As a serial offender, I think he is about to experience some tough love.

mr curly
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    We saw several entrants driving past, as well as "our" team. I wonder if your's was one we saw?
  • Now there’s a name from the past. I remember Blackaxe from Shipmeet at pizza in Chatswood, a long time ago I pray all goes well with her husband in the surgery and recovery.

Voice mail every day? What a pain.
    mr curly wrote: »
    Birdsville
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Birdsville is on my list. Glad you had such a wonderful time. Best wishes for dealing with the serial offender.

(i) for Mr Blackaxe and Blackaxe.
  • The teenager returned yesterday after a fortnight away. Now 14 as he had a birthday. Very happy after negotiating his first flights, including a change both ways at Brisbane. Delays there, a flow-on from weather disruptions to flights from Sydney. He also managed to change ticket from Gladstone to another day. He has been there many times before but has always gone by car.

He took his great grandma to morning tea on money supplied by his grandma, me. Cooked several meals for her and did some heavy gardening and chopping . She turned ninety recently and heavy gardening is beyond her.

On his return he has spent time on Central Coast with his mum and been on the beach. He is usually taciturn and information has to be dragged out of him. Not last night at dinner. No one else could get a word in.
    Gosh. He sounds more mature at 14 than me now at 42!
    Kuruzaplet #2 has returned to kiwiland after seven months in Ghana. It's good to have him back. Except he's not - he's spending several weeks enjoying friends in that Other Island before sauntering down south. Ah, the joys of yoof - (I would have done the same but wasn't brave enough to take myself to Ghana or anywhere ... our Kuruzaplets have become wonderful young men).
    edited July 2019
    A credit to you and kuruman! Hope you enjoy the time together when he makes his way back from the Other Island.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Ah, the joys of yoof - (I would have done the same but wasn't brave enough to take myself to Ghana or anywhere ... our Kuruzaplets have become wonderful young men).

Good to hear, but not surprising - they were wonderful as children too -says Huia feeling old. I hope he's prepared for how cold it's going to be in the south. I'm not sure I am.
  • Galloping GrannyGalloping Granny Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    After four years with a great variety of visiting clergy and lay preachers, we for only the second time received a candidate 'preaching for a call', and at a congregational meeting the following Sunday he was unanimously accepted as our new minister.
    He has finished his training (had previously had some time in an IT job), has been looking after a parish for a couple of years, and will be ordained and inducted in December.
    I think he's in his mid-thirties, with a wife and two young kids aged 6 and 4, he would be younger than almost all the congregation, though we have one couple with children the same age as his. I think we're all looking forward to getting to know him and his family and hearing more of what he has to say.
    This is a major event! But I'm curious now: The Board of Nomination have approached (or been approached by?) a number of others during the vacancy — I'd love to know what they made of us and vice versa.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    GG our church is again looking for a new minister. I hope it doesn't take us four years to find someone.
  • Great news GG! It must be wonderful to have some certainty after all this time.

Best wishes for your church's hunt for a minister, Huia.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    GG, that sounds exciting, for him and for your congregation.

Huia, I also hope your church finds someone soon.

Out here we've had the wettest winter in years and there are wild flowers coming up all over patches of veld. Such a relief to not face another summer of drought.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Well done GG, that much be such a relief for the congregation after all that time. And who knows Huia - you might strike lucky in 3 months.

Good news from SA. Still drought here with no end in sight.
  • Great news about the rain, MaryLouise. That must be a relief.
    Gee D wrote: »
    Still drought here with no end in sight.
    I was talking to a former colleague who lives in Dubbo. Looks particularly dire there.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    It took us a year last time, and the appointee lasted 18 months. (it was anly a short term appointment, so no reflection on them). Still the people we had in the interim were mostly OK. One I would have been happy to have permanently, but she is retired.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Snow on the beach in Invercargill (southernmost city). Overnight -2c is forecast here, but fortunately no snow - we hates it hobbitses.
    'twas a tad nippy these last few days. Yesterday the "real feel" remained below zero. I escaped Invergiggle just as the snow was approaching, though we received a few flurries here in Souther Than 45 yesterday.

Egad, I miss Darwin.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Climacus wrote: »
    I was talking to a former colleague who lives in Dubbo. Looks particularly dire there.

Yes - and there are many like it with the likelihood of needing water brought in by Christmas if not before.
  • RowenRowen Shipmate Posts: 15
    Distressingly drought, distressingly cold... a bitter end to the week is predicted....

On the plus side, the manse/church house got its new oven today. The kitchen is cold, otherwise I would be in there, worshipping it. It’s beautiful but a bit scary. Very exciting.

This is my monthly week of distribution of food hampers, supplied by a local charity. So I drive, and give it, and talk, and drive tea, and listen, and give tissues. Sad yes, but I am meeting amazing, grace-filled people, in unexpected grace-filled places.
  • Enjoy the new oven, Rowen. And God bless your wonderful food hamper distribution ministry.

Turning a bit chillier and rainy here today.
    mr curly wrote: »
    For those with long memories, Blackaxe’s husband, at about age 43, is having triple bypass surgery in next week. Investigations sparked by a minor incident so no residual heart damage apparent. Please pray.

Mr Blackaxe is home after a successful operation.

We had 90 people at our place on Saturday to celebrate Mrs Curly’s 50th birthday. Biggest, Middle and Little Miss and some friends supplied musical entertainment, while the popularity of my mulled wine resulted in 2 dozen bottles getting the spicy treatment through the evening. The slow cooker is a highly recommended appliance for this task.

mr curly

Holey moley - that's a reasonable sampling of the fruit of the vine
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    A quarter bottle per guest is pretty modest, isn't it? Or am I no good at maths?
  • Happy birthday to Mrs Curly.

Have awoken to a continuance of the gales here. More forecast till Sunday. There was a three hour blackout here in the middle of the night. Flickers of lights at dinner time and we gathered candles etc just in case. I woke as emergency vehicles raced down the road.

Very grateful for those who came out in the middle of the night in dangerous gales to restore power to district. By the time I woke, son had reset timer on hot water system and aircon.
This discussion has been closed.