AS: Far flung southern lands 2019

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was on the 4th (top) floor of the library when today's storm hit. Lots of thunder and lightening, but there didn't seem to be any hail landing on the balcony. Timaru a town about 2 hours south had hail the size of eggs,

I'm really not used to weather that changes so quickly. 2 pm at the vet, weather hot and sunny, 2.30 in town (3kms away) wind turns cold, 3pm in the library and the thunder and lightening start.
  • My son visiting yesterday referred to the noise of the storm the previous night. I had slept soundly all night — all I could say was I don't wear my hearing aids in bed. Or maybe it wasn't pounding on my house from the NW, or they got it 20 km away in a different area, Petone but not Wilton.
  • That is my judge of loud thunder GG. Can I hear it in bed without hearing aids?
  • Bushfire smoke is increasing by the minute here. It is coming from. The back burn at Webbs Creek and around Wisemans Ferry.Started about midnight last night. The river from there to Wisemans Ferry is extremely twisty and my guess is that the smoke takes a while to negotiate the bend. Just a guess really.

I know someone who lives right on the river at Leets Vale. Big block, mostly clear, well watered from underground supplies. Even so, one never knows with such fires. The other bank of the river there for Several kms is a sheer rock wall for some height.

Niece’s place is not far as the crow flies from the river.

• We can't see the other side of town here, let alone Mt Sugarloaf which is usually in line of sight from the loungeroom window. Northern edge of the Gosper's Mountain fire is about 60=70km southwest of us. There hasn't been a big fire in that region since 2000 when the Putty Road was closed for 2-3 weeks. I was principal of the little school at the northern end, and the road workers used the school verandah as their lunch shed, while they painted the new roadside marker posts ready for the road reopening.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    Hope the fire keeps its distance. And that the smoke haze is not giving you trouble.

I used to take a drive along the Putty Road a few times a yearbwgen I lived in Sydney...a nice drive. Took the Great North Road a few times too...lots of convict history as the photos there show.
  • The Great North Road is very much in the fire's range as well. The eastern boundary of the fire has now reached the Macdonald River, and those settlements from Wiseman's Ferry northwards are on high alert.
    I've seen photos today of the DC-10 waterbomber dropping retardant at Glen Davis on the western boundary while manoeuvring below the top of the escarpment - amazing skills from the pilot!
  • I thought that too. Great skill and courage from not aircraft and helicopter pilots in dangerous fire conditions and bad physical conditions like rocky cliffs

Our place in Wollombi burnt after we had sold it. Neighbours said the fire then was very fierce. We had a plan but somehow I doubt it would have been enough. Middle son went up there and found a hot plate cover from my little Metters Bega No 3 wood stove. He brought it back for me
  • I suppose fires affect air movement, maybe creating up-draughts, to make flying that much more risky.
  • Barnabas_AusBarnabas_Aus Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    When we were coming home from our parish council meeting this evening about 7.15pm, we saw the burnt orange sun setting about 30 degrees above the horizon as it sank behind the impenetrable wall of smoke. I should note that apart from smoke the sky is clear, as we are under a massive high pressure system with relative humidity as low as 6% in the upper part of our valley.

GG, an acquaintance of mine is a helicopter pilot, formerly in the military, so when I see him next, I'll ask.
  • I am listening to heavy rain, a lovely sound. Unfortunately it started as a thunderstorm, not a good thing for fires as lightning strikes can cause more fires. However, there did not seem to be as many as I have seen in electrical storms so am hoping they did not cause problems for fire fighters. Rain shows on radar as where it is needed. It will be good for our newly planted shrubs and seedlings and it is just wonderful to sit an listen to it.
  • Hurrah for the rain; and I also hope the lightning strikes do not cause fires.

One year and one day since I got off the plane at Palmerston North. It has flown by...
  • Yes, Climacus. It seems to have gone quickly. But so does my year, a year last month since I moved here. I made an appointment the other day for mid December. Impossible.
  • Every time there is a significant bushfire in Australia I experience nightmares due to my experiences in the terrifying fires we had in Tasmania in 1967 when many people died and oh so many homes destroyed. It was so frightening fighting the fire at my parent's home and in those days there was no help to be had from any fire brigade - I think that force was very small and under developed. I had just started work at the hospital and went to work the next day only to see the devastation wrought on people, particularly with burnt patients lying on trolleys. I pray for all those being affected at present. May they be looked after and find peace.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Goodness, @Lothlorien and @Climacus - a year already since both your moves!

Time flies ...
  • Just a hint from an early morning foul up. The big burr coffee grinder works better when turned on.

Just about to take first sip.
  • Hello Shipmates down in the southern hemisphere- I hope things are OK with all of you as I know there are many challenges with the fires.
    My husband and I will be setting out for beautiful Aotearoa on 19th December to spend Christmas with our daughter and family in the Far North so I thought I'd pop in to say that I'll wave to you all as we fly past on our (gulp!) three different flights.....
    I am very excited to be returning to one the most beautiful places on earth after a gap of five years!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yay Mrs Beaky, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen and a good sunhat.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Yay Mrs Beaky, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen and a good sunhat.

Sunglasses, known in Oz as sunnies would be good too.

Lucky Mrs. Beaky! :smiley:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I tend to forget sunnies, but of course you're right Loth.

Today I bought sunscreen. I already had a bottle but Consumer Magazine has done their yearly testing of different types of sunscreen made in New Zealand and many, including those sold by the Cancer Society don't live up to the claims on the label. So, armed with the list of those that did I visited my local pharmacy and the Supermarket. I was really happy to find one of the better ones with SPF 50 on special. I do not burn easily, but I noticed that a few hours in the garden wearing sandals has left me with brown stripes on my feet from the sun.
  • With you there Huia. Strap marks from Mary Jane style, marks from two different styles of sandal. Weird looking feet. I expect a comment from podiatrist on Friday.

I was surprised a couple years ago with reports into the effectiveness of good brands and highly priced sunscreen. Especially in those classed as suitable for young children. Just not good enough.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Lucky Mrs. Beaky! :smiley:

Very lucky!
    And very thankful to see them all as well- five years is a long time and the children are now so much bigger.
    Oh my goodness - you will see a big difference in them! Hope you have a wonderful time!
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited November 2019
    Shipmate @Rowen in Victorian Alps sent pictures today of snow at Mt Hotham and Dinner Plain. Dust storms, gales and violent electrical storms up here.
  • And wild weather closer to home, too, Lothlorien. No damage here, happily, but I do hope Barnabus_Aus is OK.
  • Happy travels Mrs Beaky! 5 years... How exciting. So much change I am sure.

I have been seeing the snow in the Victorian Alps, storms in Sydney and the surrounding areas, and still fires... My best wishes to you all.
  • Kittyville wrote: »
    And wild weather closer to home, too, Lothlorien. No damage here, happily, but I do hope Barnabus_Aus is OK.

The storms in the valley seem to split and go either side of our little town. Barely a drop since the first storm on Friday evening.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Good that there's been no damage, bad that there's been no rain.

We had a very heavy storm here yesterday, with strong wind and hail. Fortunately our part of it was much briefer and less severe than a band starting a few kms away, and neither we nor neighbours had damage. That's probably the case for Mr Curly also but impossible to be sure given the way that the valleys cause the path to twist and turn. We had our turn in 91 and then again in 01.
  • Lots of sunshine here, but a typical Wellington wind with the huge gusts that I used to describe as being strong enough to blow a little old lady over. Now I'm the little old lady, and my problem was to hold the car door open so that I could get out, while a big gust was trying to force it back to shut even if it meant breaking my legs.
    Fortunately a 'gust' isn't a quick puff — while the wind is blowing gently or dropping altogether you hear a roar in nearby trees, it suddenly pounds down on you, you hang on to something for a minute or so, and then it's gone again.
    A meteorologist friend described the flow of the wind like a river that meets an obstruction or a fall, but I couldn't quite picture it.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Good to see you back GG after what seems a long time away. Hope all is well, but if you keep getting blown away, we'll send Dlet over for you to keep hold of.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    edited November 2019
    GG, the way you describe that Wellington wind reminds me of our notorious South-Easter gale in Cape Town, also called the Cape Doctor because it blows away and polluted air and cools the city perched above Table Bay. On a windy day, you suddenly get knocked flat (or almost) by a sudden blast of wind that rips through city streets and tumbles scooter riders off their bikes, then disappears.
  • Aaaaah....the Wellington wind - I do miss it sometimes
  • You can have ours if you want wind. None yesterday but much damage the day before in many parts of Sydney. Not to mention the effect on bushfires.
  • As if life down under is not dangerous enough with sharks and venomous snakes and spiders and drop bears and bunyips, here is another.

My niece was driving her farm ute up her drive after returning from a couple of days at her acreage in central west. Bang on the bonnet, out of the sky fell half a large dead rat. The picture looked disgusting.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Galilit wrote: »
    Aaaaah....the Wellington wind - I do miss it sometimes

I only miss it when I'm not there, though it does clen ther air. We have been sweltering in the Nor Wester, a warm wind which I have been told is similar to the Mistral in France, but late this afternoon it swung to the Nor' East which lowered the temperature from it's earlier 30c. Christchurch people curse the "beasterly easterly" in winter, but I am always grateful for it cutting the summer heat.
  • Just helicoptering in to express the hope that one of you will similarly drop in on this thread, because it could really do with the input of someone who knows. And that ain't me.
  • Cherries are on sale again. An annual treat. Somebody bought some for the household yesterday. Pleasant but I prefer Ron variety, big, juicy and dark.

It is not the season to put the sprouts on for me but the season to make the best of the short season for cherries.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    There is no season to put sprouts on. If you do find some in the fridge, they go well chopped and put into the compost; a welcome variation is to slice them and then to the compost.

Not sure what Ron cherries are. Did you meant from Young?
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited December 2019
    Ron is the variety. The big, very dark , deep red type.

https://australiancherries.com.au/varieties-and-seasonality Sorry my keyboard is unhappy and not doing brackets at all.

Scroll down to see Rons
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Thanks - I can't recall ever seeing them under that name.
  • Every year I used Fowlers Vacola set to bottle hundreds of bottles of fruit. Always did cherries. Sets started at most basic tiny stovetop model to eventually fully automatic electric model, much larger.

Three hungry, growing boys and a fairly constant flow of their friends for many meals.
  • rexoryrexory Shipmate Posts: 41
    Gee D wrote: »
    There is no season to put sprouts on. If you do find some in the fridge, they go well chopped and put into the compost; a welcome variation is to slice them and then to the compost.

Couldn't agree more!
  • Generally I would agree with you both. DIL chops and bakes them with butter and garlic and I can eat them once or twice a winter. No more.
  • I am on a tour of far flung southern lands (and thought it appropriate to drop in to this thread while visiting!)

I left a frosty Scotland behind on Saturday and landed in Cairns earlier today, where it is currently 30C. The balcony of my hotel room looks out over palm trees to the sea and the other shore of the inlet. Life is not too shabby just now...

[Must try to remember to go to the conference tomorrow, rather than sitting on my balcony all day; I am here until the coming Saturday, after which I head further south...]
  • Welcome to Oz. Sheep graziers alert for cold weather down here, strong galeforce winds blowing chairs over etc. Not really warm.
  • Welcome Cameron! Sounds like a lovely view.

Hope you have a great stay, and enjoy the conference.
  • A fire, now under control, on my road, down the street, the other side of local shops Another on Hawkesbury along the river. Wind is blowing both of these the other way to here. One on river is no real danger to the top of ridge. Another on other side of Springwood, small and a fair distance away. Very strange, not, starting much the same time.
  • Fire here also, sparked by a fatal road accident this morning, just down the hill from our old home in a neighbouring village. Only 34 hectares in size but still out of control and close to houses. The village school was evacuated to the big primary school in town.
  • At least the wind is not the gale of last few days, Barnabas. Fire down the road is now under control and not giving cause for alarm. One at Cranebrook is noted as starting in “several places.” Right on school getting out. That is blowing east.
This discussion has been closed.