Searching for posts: what's the best way?

RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
I am one of several posters who have disagreed with one individual in a long and lively thread in Purgatory. That individual is given to strong and sweeping statements; I have mentioned a particular one a couple of times in responses. Now the other person is demanding that I show where it was said - and I'm having a terrible time finding it. I went to that person's profile and clicked on posts, but there seems to be no way to put in search terms to narrow the field. (And it's a large field.)

Is there a better search mechanism that I'm unaware of? Does anyone have any helpful hints for locating a particular post?

Thank you!

Comments

• Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    The fastest way I've found of finding a specific post on a thread is going through the thread page by page, searching for the name of the poster using the find feature in Google Chrome, scanning each time the name is mentioned.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    I use Firefox, not Chrome (Google knows too much about me already), but I found it. Thank you!
  • W HyattW Hyatt Shipmate
    It seems to be rather "hit-or-miss," but you can try entering something like the following into your favorite general search engine (google, duckduckgo, ... ):
    site:https://forums.shipoffools.com "hyatt shipmate" oops

and then comb through the results by applying the tip from Curiosity killed.

(The use of " shipmate" should help locate pages that include posts by the shipmate among all the pages where posts mention the shipmate by name.)
    Thank you!
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    The standard search engine leaves much to be desired.

By default, it ORs terms together. If you want to AND them, you can prefix the words with + or - to mean 'must contain' and 'must not contain'.

For example, searching for 'comb curiosity' returns posts containing either word, but searching for '+comb +curiosity' should return just one post. (Two by the time you read this...)
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    That's the theory. The practice isn't quite so determinate.
    Thank you, Pease.
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    edited January 17
    I was listening to a video with Matt Dillahunty yesterday, linked to on another forum, and was wondering whether he has been mentioned in discussion anywhere here on SofF, so came to the Styx to ask for search advice. The above all sounds too complicated, so may I please ask if someone would be kind enough to do the searching for me?
    But not to spend more than a minute or two ... ... he is not a person one would expect to find much included here.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    @SusanDoris , the only hit for Dillahunty that I came up with is here:

https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/comment/61580#Comment_61580
    pease wrote: »
    It's the old story: many a beautiful theory is destroyed by an ugly fact.

• Hedgehog wrote: »
    @SusanDoris , the only hit for Dillahunty that I came up with is here:

https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/comment/61580#Comment_61580
    pease wrote: »
    It's the old story: many a beautiful theory is destroyed by an ugly fact.
    Thank you - that is kind of you to do that and very much appreciated.