Let's put lilbuddha in charge

1234689

Comments

  • Please, please, PLEASE get a fucking grip. It's as if you don't think you exist unless you are actively opposing someone else--preferably a whole fucking threadload of us at once. Screw that, preferably FIVE fucking threadloads at once.

    And if I ever happen to agree with you, you hasten to post a reply to the effect that a) you got there first, and b) neener neener on me.

    Can you ever just BE for a moment?
  • "Ok lilbuddha" might be a useful thing, cf thread in Purgatoady.
  • Dafyd wrote: »
    If lilbuddha's account were hacked and taken over by a middle-aged right-wing would-be satirist who thinks he can write funny parodies of SJWs, would anyone notice the difference?

    I have a theory that this actually happened about two years ago.
  • lilBuddha: This thread shouldn't be in Epiphanies.
    Everybody: You're wrong.
    Admins: You're wrong.
    lilBuddha: This thread shouldn't be in Epiphanies! Why is everybody losing their minds when I say this?!!??!!?
  • To lilBuddha, "losing your mind" means "continuing to disagree with me after I have clearly stated my beliefs."
  • Frankly, I'm surprised she thinks we have minds to lose.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    She's just being polite.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    I'm still trying to figure out who appointed lb as The Sole Arbiter of All Things. It's certainly an annoying stance.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    The Sole Arbiter is naturally the one who does the appointment or they wouldn't be the Sole Arbiter. QED
  • mousethief wrote: »
    To lilBuddha, "losing your mind" means "continuing to disagree with me after I have clearly stated my beliefs."

    There is no room for honest people of good will to disagree with lb. You either agree fully and enthusiastically with her every utterance or you’re a stupid brainless sexist racist homophobic tool of the oppressive elitist slavery-loving concentration camp-running nazi fascist tyrants who grind good honest decent folk (which category obviously doesn’t include straight white men, because duh) into the dirt.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    These characterizations of @lilbuddha are false.

    In that there is no agreement permitted. Her modality is to carve out a uniquely specific slice of argument that nobody else can possible understand or represent, thereby enabling her to think of herself as being alone on her moral stilts. No amount of alignment or agreement with any issue is sufficient, as she will immediately narrow the conversation (in her mind) to be even more specific to her stance to make sure she forces out any possible agreement.

    At this point, her moral stances are essentially fractal.
  • Indeed.

    For most people, the statement “I can’t agree” is derived epistemologically; but for some, it is simply a reflection of their ontological condition.

    Apparently.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    In that there is no agreement permitted. Her modality is to carve out a uniquely specific slice of argument that nobody else can possible understand or represent, thereby enabling her to think of herself as being alone on her moral stilts. No amount of alignment or agreement with any issue is sufficient, as she will immediately narrow the conversation (in her mind) to be even more specific to her stance to make sure she forces out any possible agreement.
    No, no, no. Lilbuddha is a paragon of tolerance and sweetness and light.
    It is everybody else that fits your description.

    Fortunately lilBuddha is capable of keeping her head when all about her are losing theirs and blaming it on her. (And can trust herself when all men doubt her, but make allowance for their doubting too...)

  • Dafyd wrote: »
    RooK wrote: »
    In that there is no agreement permitted. Her modality is to carve out a uniquely specific slice of argument that nobody else can possible understand or represent, thereby enabling her to think of herself as being alone on her moral stilts. No amount of alignment or agreement with any issue is sufficient, as she will immediately narrow the conversation (in her mind) to be even more specific to her stance to make sure she forces out any possible agreement.
    No, no, no. Lilbuddha is a paragon of tolerance and sweetness and light.
    It is everybody else that fits your description.

    Fortunately lilBuddha is capable of keeping her head when all about her are losing theirs and blaming it on her. (And can trust herself when all men doubt her, but make allowance for their doubting too...)

    If she can do all that, and still more
    then, then,
    hmmmm
  • And here I thought it was me. I could never understand why, when I said I agreed with her, her adversarial position intensified, as if I couldn't possibly understand enough to agree and so must be bludgeoned with additional facts and logic into a position of disagreement.

    The cheese stands alone, indeed.

    AFF
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    These characterizations of @lilbuddha are false.

    In that there is no agreement permitted. Her modality is to carve out a uniquely specific slice of argument that nobody else can possible understand or represent, thereby enabling her to think of herself as being alone on her moral stilts. No amount of alignment or agreement with any issue is sufficient, as she will immediately narrow the conversation (in her mind) to be even more specific to her stance to make sure she forces out any possible agreement.

    At this point, her moral stances are essentially fractal.

    As I noted on p. 5 of this thread, Nov. 15:

    Dunno about fighting, but LB does seem always to want to stand absolutely and unassailably alone, in some minutely-delineated, precisely-marked-off, unique-to-her, stance in any argument. (And this despite her routine failure to provide evidence or links for most of her assertions. One would think that level of finicky-ness might be accompanied by concerns for supporting evidence; sadly, no.) Carving out a space in which to stand alone is her super-power. It seems she can only be "right" in her own eyes when creating a skin-tight niche with room for only one occupant--herself.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Ohher wrote: »
    As I noted on p. 5 of this thread, Nov. 15:
    I knew I had stolen it from somewhere...
  • RussRuss Shipmate
    You either agree fully and enthusiastically with her every utterance or you’re a stupid brainless sexist racist homophobic tool

    Lilbuddha thinks she has experienced oppression, and therefore this gives her a total and infallible understanding of it in all its forms.

  • Dafyd wrote: »
    Fortunately lilBuddha is capable of keeping her head when all about her are losing theirs and blaming it on her. (And can trust herself when all men doubt her, but make allowance for their doubting too...)

    No, no, no, you’ve got it all wrong. If lilbuddha does all of that and the rest of the poem, then she’ll be a MAN, my son (presumably a straight white one, because what other kind exists?) and then she won’t be oppressed anymore and the entire reason for her existence will disappear. And the universe will go phhhuttt or something.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    edited November 2019
    Russ wrote: »
    You either agree fully and enthusiastically with her every utterance or you’re a stupid brainless sexist racist homophobic tool

    Lilbuddha thinks she has experienced oppression, and therefore this gives her a total and infallible understanding of it in all its forms.

    TBF, if her statements about herself are true, then she most definitely has. Which means her understanding of is better than most. Just not total and infallible. Because we've all got stuff.

    I'll get me coat ...
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    There is no room for honest people of good will to disagree with lb. You either agree fully and enthusiastically with her every utterance or you’re a stupid brainless sexist racist homophobic tool of the oppressive elitist slavery-loving concentration camp-running nazi fascist tyrants who grind good honest decent folk (which category obviously doesn’t include straight white men, because duh) into the dirt.

    To the contrary: it is not possible to agree with lb. Actual agreement (as defined by lb) with lb would require lb to acknowledge that you are Right and that you stand with her. This simply cannot be. lb herself occupies that position, and as already demonstrated, there's only room in that slot for one. As noted by somebody earlier, the cheese stands alone. Indeed, for lb, the cheese must stand alone, though God alone knows why.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Curioser and curioser...
  • Anyone else amused that ryandavies has out-LB'd LB in the anti-semitism thread?
  • Anyone else amused that ryandavies has out-LB'd LB in the anti-semitism thread?

    No. Exasperated.
  • I am pretty tired of the idea that keeps coming up that people and institutions are somehow tainted by being part of "bad" societies.

    It's lazy, it's boring, it diminishes all those who have been working to change society.

    But more than that, who actually cares to hear lilbuddha state that everything is shit, all things are shit and all manner of things are shit as if this is a great and inarguable truth?

    The NHS? Oh that's racist. Why? Oh because all of society is racist and it contains people who are infected by institutional racism and thus cannot help but express the inherent racism lurking within all of us.

    Or something. I don't know, I give up.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And indeed, if her recent posts be correct, she must be racist snd anti-semitic herself for just that reason.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    I find something odd about this thread... lb has dropped out. Surely this would (or should) be red meat for her, an invitation to denounce all this as a smoke screen for for all our various prejudices. Given her(?) native combativeness, I thought that she would have risen to the occasion. I am a little disappointed in her.

    Frankly, I find her a sarcastic, condescending, self-righteous bore. What might be gleaned from her contributions isn't worth the slog. With her I can't be correct even about my own sexuality. I think that much I know should intimately, usually without fear of contradiction, but somehow she managed even that.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    This is exactly correct regarding the usage of OK Boomer.
    As far as the rest of the discussion, it is a tangent.

    Which you have been more than happy to indulge, in direct conflict with the content of your indulging posts.
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Thank you, captain obvious.

    She is now admitting she's a hypocrite. That's something.
  • Just checking in to see whether this thread is still breathing.
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    So clearly I need to communicate better.
    Yes.

    And also, perhaps, to be less enamoured of arguing about the argument.

  • And here I thought it was me. I could never understand why, when I said I agreed with her, her adversarial position intensified, as if I couldn't possibly understand enough to agree and so must be bludgeoned with additional facts and logic into a position of disagreement.

    The cheese stands alone, indeed.

    AFF

    Not only does the position intensify, but it changes, so that additional evidence can be brought to bear which wasn't relevant to the earlier position. Isn't LB a clever beastie?
  • I just wish that she would occasionally preface or end her comments with "in my opinion" or YMMV or something.
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    I just wish that she would occasionally preface or end her comments with "in my opinion" or YMMV or something.

    Your mileage is not allowed to vary.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Cathscats wrote: »
    I just wish that she would occasionally preface or end her comments with "in my opinion" or YMMV or something.

    And if it turns out that your mileage and hers match exactly (in your own view), she will parse out some finicky way to distinguish hers from yours, leaving you still in the wrong (in her view).
  • At least Russ prefaces many of posts with "It seems..." which acknowledges that it is Russ's view, not the only view.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    In Russ' case it feels more like a get-out clause to avoid having to back up the opinion with evidence.
  • "Russ: less worse than lB"...
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    edited December 2019
    Dafyd wrote: »
    In Russ' case it feels more like a get-out clause to avoid having to back up the opinion with evidence.

    TBF, lb's technique of presenting everything they say as a FACT has the same effect. They're not big on evidence either.

    Although my favourite so far was lb telling @RooK his accusation that they were being sexist was just proof he was sexist as they couldn't possibly be so ... Which is complete Boris.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Although my favourite so far was lb telling @RooK his accusation that they were being sexist was just proof he was sexist as they couldn't possibly be so ... Which is complete Boris.

    May I nominate "complete Boris" as the new euphemism for "Self-servicing projection of bullshit lies"?

    "The US President has pulled yet another complete Boris on the issue of the House's impeachment hearings . . ."


  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    Ohher wrote: »
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Although my favourite so far was lb telling @RooK his accusation that they were being sexist was just proof he was sexist as they couldn't possibly be so ... Which is complete Boris.

    May I nominate "complete Boris" as the new euphemism for "Self-servicing projection of bullshit lies"?

    "The US President has pulled yet another complete Boris on the issue of the House's impeachment hearings . . ."


    I vote in favo(u)r.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Ohher wrote: »
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Although my favourite so far was lb telling @RooK his accusation that they were being sexist was just proof he was sexist as they couldn't possibly be so ... Which is complete Boris.

    May I nominate "complete Boris" as the new euphemism for "Self-servicing projection of bullshit lies"?

    "The US President has pulled yet another complete Boris on the issue of the House's impeachment hearings . . ."


    Quotes file!!
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    We are literally discussing this. Just not on your terms.
    What "terms"?

    Did anybody mention "disingenuous"?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Just an aside to Mousethief, whom I think introduced the phrase "Your Mileage May Vary"- I think this is one of the most useful phrases I first read on the Ship, Thank-you.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Ohher wrote: »
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Although my favourite so far was lb telling @RooK his accusation that they were being sexist was just proof he was sexist as they couldn't possibly be so ... Which is complete Boris.

    May I nominate "complete Boris" as the new euphemism for "Self-servicing projection of bullshit lies"?

    "The US President has pulled yet another complete Boris on the issue of the House's impeachment hearings . . ."
    That works for me.

  • Huia wrote: »
    Just an aside to Mousethief, whom I think introduced the phrase "Your Mileage May Vary"- I think this is one of the most useful phrases I first read on the Ship, Thank-you.

    I stole it from a car advert so no praise to me. I'm not entirely sure I was the first to use it here, but I'm happy to take credit until a better claimant comes along.
  • I always link that saying to @Ruth , but maybe she was the one who explained it to me.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    IIRC YMMV has been a standard internet abbreviation since before Berners-Lee thought of this world wide web thing or nearly.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    I always link that saying to @Ruth , but maybe she was the one who explained it to me.

    I only explained it. It's been an internet thing forever, at least among Americans.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Yes, I remember encountering it on the old Prodigy network in 1986.
  • Ohher wrote: »
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Although my favourite so far was lb telling @RooK his accusation that they were being sexist was just proof he was sexist as they couldn't possibly be so ... Which is complete Boris.

    May I nominate "complete Boris" as the new euphemism for "Self-servicing projection of bullshit lies"?

    "The US President has pulled yet another complete Boris on the issue of the House's impeachment hearings . . ."


    I'm so proud.
  • I spotted lb agreeing with someone today. Do I get a gold star or anything?
Sign In or Register to comment.