Memories of discovering the Internet

2»

Comments

• Here's my very tenuous claim to fame as far as the www is concerned.....my ex husband's brother in law employed Tim Berners Lee as a young man ( in his printer company) before he joined CERN.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    I think I discovered the WWW at a friend's place, probably sometime in the early 90s, but I didn't have my own access till the mid-90s, first through Lynx on Telnet and then eventually through Netscape once I upgraded to a Windows machine. (I was a humanities graduate student with no money, so not really an early adopter in matters of technology.)

Speaking of which, the Mac on my desk at home is over a decade old. It still works remarkably well, considering.
  • I think it was 2000 for me at a friend’s place. I still use the email address I set up at the time. I was clearly late to the game. Even at uni I only really had access via computer rooms. Although not having a computer was part of that.
    It was 2008 when I first lived with wifi and reliable internet access.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Not necessarily - there were other Triumph car models (and motor cycles). The Herald might seem more appropriate than the Stag,

I had a Triumph Herald - it died of galloping rust. :cry:
  • As did most cars of the era.
  • jay_emmjay_emm Shipmate
    When I started secondary school in 1995, they had a room with BBC computers (with good simple games) and a slightly smaller Windows room with 'no' internet
    Around 1998 we were taught to sign into "excitepost" or "hotmail" (that was on new computers in what had been the 6th form room) but it was really too slow (massively shared connection) to be of much interest. 'I.T.' lessons became a thing around then for everyone.
    I used excel on Dad's laptop (white on black) sometime before we used it at school, but I can't put that in perspective. And at some point the home Acorn got replaced with a PC.

It was a youngish head, so (in retrospect) it may have been slightly ahead of the pack but I think would be more or less typical.
  • 1997 with my first university job. But I wasn’t at all interested in it, seldom used email and just used messaging to chat with my far more tech savvy housemates (two of who worked in IT). I didn’t really start using the internet until 2001 when we had our own home.
    My husband was far more tech aware and was using dial up at home as a teenager sometime after 1990. He managed to purchase the dot com domain in our surname.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited March 17
    The combination of my first and last name is very common in the Netherlands. But I have {myfullname}@hotmail.com because I signed up in the nineties.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by "internet" since there were ways of interacting with people in an online world before there was a World Wide Web.

Do we have to see who can remember uucp bang paths? Or <shudder> DECNET? I never did the dialup BBS thing, although I knew those that did.

I do remember, with some embarrassment, the first web page I ever wrote (and back then it was NCSA Mosaic 0.something) in 1993. Even worse, I think the wayback machine remembers it...
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by "internet" since there were ways of interacting with people in an online world before there was a World Wide Web.

Do we have to see who can remember uucp bang paths? Or <shudder> DECNET? I never did the dialup BBS thing, although I knew those that did.

We don't HAVE to do anything. I don't understand the vehemence of your answer. I was asking to be clear which of my experience I was being asked to discuss.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I read LC's reply as a question with no vehemence, just questioning how far we could go back. These strange text mediums...

Sorry I, as the OP, did not answer your question. I thought it was more a statement, and I tend not to care how threads develop. If someone worked on ARPANET in 1969 I'd be happy to hear from them...any networked system could be of interest.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Sorry mousethief; I shouldn't have written that first paragraph. I wasn't meaning to downplay how you read it, but just give my opinion. It wasn't needed. Sorry.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    I didn't take it amiss. I think your point about this being a text medium pretty much sums it up. Really I was just walking my experience forward. I used Veronica at least a full year before I got into BBS relay (RIME and FIDONet), in about 1993ish.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Using CBS and Pad from Vax cluster to connect to the City University Monochrome BBS - all text based. That'd have been 1991-ish.