Brexit anxiety.

BoogieBoogie Shipmate
edited March 13 in All Saints
I’ve had a variety of ways of dealing emotionally with the Brexshit mess.

My main coping strategy has been the ostrich - listening to and watching very little of it. The media are loving it.

But today I recognise that I feel on edge - and a generalised anxiety, which I can’t put down to anything which is happening in my life. I’m not a naturally anxious person at all.

It’s Brexshit related, I think.

How is all this making you feel, and how are you dealing with it?

🤔🧐😔

Comments

• MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    I have to monitor myself on the anxiety front as it is and at the moment i also have a huge amount of family stuff to contend with......so on top of all that Brexit and its possible outcomes for my children and grandchildren quite honestly make me feel sick.

I am coping by eating as well as I can, sleeping as much as I can and spending as much time as I possibly can in contemplative prayer!
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    edited March 13
    I try to get balanced views. And not watch the news.

But we are living in an "interesting" time. I would rather not.

And thoughts and prayers with all those here who are struggling, whether they post or not.
  • The only thing keeping me going through all this is the assurance that our times are in His hands
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOHue_lwpI
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    I've been throwing myself headlong into work. Though I've had to, since we're under-resourced. Since the start of the year, I've been averaging 52 hours a week. But the European Working Time Directive is based on a 19 week average, so by the time it would threaten to kick in, we'll be outside of the protection that that brings.

In the little spare time, I've been stockpiling food . My cupboards are now full of pasta, jars of sauce, as well as tins of beans and soup. Hoping it's not needed, but as it'll all keep and it's stuff I'll eat anyway, the only effect has been to accelerate a bit of cash outflow.
  • My wife and I watch the news and rail together at the stupidity and intransigence of the politicians. Still doesn't much help the general sense of unease mentioned in the OP.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    The only thing keeping me going through all this is the assurance that our times are in His hands
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOHue_lwpI

Bless you @Roseofsharon.

This sort of hymn is a comfort, I think, in hard times. If I were ill or dealing with serious illness in a loved one, for example.

But I’m a doer. I’m fine if I know what the problem is, I can get on and deal with it.

Not knowing what on Earth will happen is at the root of Brexshit anxiety.

• GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    First, "Well done, Boogie" ... I am so glad to see this thread as I have been saying to myself how can the poor (individual) Brits stand all this uncertainty? What is happening psychologically to people over such a long period of indecision not to mention some utter nonsense? I live in the Middle East and I see how long term lack of security and ongoing public discord affect human beings. How are your public Mental Health Services addressing this?

I lived in London for a couple of years in the Thatcher-era and have wonderful memories of that city and of Greenham; and of seeing other places whose names I'd heard all my (colonial) life: like Oxford, Canterbury, Hereford. So I do kind of care in a sentimental way.

I have been feeling awfully anxious for the Brits for months because I saw 35 years ago how they so need "order". Even when the bus doesn't come on time, Brits knew that in 10 minutes three would come at once. And this saga has been everything but "certainty".
    Even though I don't live there now I have felt for them and it has preyed on my mind way out of proportion to the absolutely zero practical effect it has on my life. (Which is probably how some of you feel about the Middle East)

I have dealt with it mostly by watching BBC World TV. When I feel at my most anxious I watch a news and get some facts into my head - what is happening, what people are saying, polls and statistics. I have found this very helpful on a few other issues (Da'esh and Climate Change are two that spring to mind). It stops my mental "spin" and gives me some dry information. I see what is happening and it is a lot less frightening than what I am making up in my mind. And I also realise (again) it is Not My Problem to Solve or even live with. (Except on the level of deeply-held personal opinions; eg I would rather countries got together than separated, that if something is decided it should be implemented, societies should become more and not less equal and just, that The Poor should get Assistance, etc)

Thanks for the chance to express myself
  • From the outside, it looks like your parliament is in one of the scifi repetitive loops where you're trying to get on to a time line where there's actually a direction to follow. Again from the outside, perhaps the parliamentarians are the wrong people to be voting. Perhaps the wrong parliamentarians.

I suspect the anxiety is both warranted and unwarranted. Warranted because it's the average person and the working poor who always get the worst, and the quality of your political leadership seems frightfully low, self centred and ideological. Unwarranted because everything in the country will be intact the day after tomorrow.
  • I mentioned in Hell that the whole thing makes me want to curl up in a corner and gibber. I am a strange mix of utterly disbelieving, completely exhausted and so incandescently angry that I don’t even have words to sum up how angry I am. I also play the ostrich quite a lot because AFAICT any other way madness lies.

I am much less badly off than a lot of British expats, but I won’t feel completely reassured until I get my mitts on a French passport with my name on. I am eligible to apply on the grounds of marriage at the end of April, but for logistical reasons won’t be able to do so until at least the beginning of May. After that my husband and I get called in for an interview, from which date they have a year to make a decision. If there’s a transitional period, this should all be sorted out in time, but in the case of no-deal, the French government is giving us one year to get everything in order, and then the timings make me much twitchier. (If I don’t have a French passport in time, I can probably still get a residence permit, but it’s more paperwork and aggravation.)
  • For me, it's the excessive reliance on precedent and order that creates the anxiety. We are sleep walking into catastrophe and this is in no way altered by the fact that the sun will continue to rise. We have disintegrated so much as a society in the last 10 years that I simply wouldn't want to even speculate where we might be after 10 years of international isolation.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 13
    I'm not sure if I'm exactly dealing with Brexit Anxiety (I share the anger, bewilderment, and fear, expressed eloquently by others), but there is a certain Horrid Fascination in clicking on the BBC News every day.

I live in hope (not much) that one day - soon, O Lord, soon - the headline will be 'MAY RESIGNS! GENERAL ELECTION CALLED!', which would at least break the logjam, and perhaps give us a slender chance of survival...
    :flushed:

Tread softly, for you tread on my Dreams....

I know one should be careful for what one wishes, but a nice, quiet, bloodless coup d'état by sensible people, with a general election, and a fresh referendum to follow, wouldn't go amiss. No, I am not writing a short story...
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I've been in a gloom about this since before the referendum. My natural optimism bursts through every now and again to make me think that someone, even at this eleventh hour, will stop the mess. What really makes me cross is the amount of time and money that has been wasted on Brexit that could have been spent on schools, elderly care and goodness knows what else.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Sarasa wrote: »
    I've been in a gloom about this since before the referendum. My natural optimism bursts through every now and again to make me think that someone, even at this eleventh hour, will stop the mess. What really makes me cross is the amount of time and money that has been wasted on Brexit that could have been spent on schools, elderly care and goodness knows what else.

Yes :cry: :cry:

edited March 13
    No, no! All that £££ will be fully recouped, and more, by being out of the EU! Didn't you read what it said on the side of the Bus?

It will ALL - every penny! - be spent on the schools, elderly, poor and indigent, NHS, etc. etc., as long as they're not Horrible Brown People Not Like Us.

Ahem. I do apologise. For a moment, I thought I was in Hell.

O......
  • CJCfarwestCJCfarwest Shipmate
    I have given into it today to the small (but significant, in that it’s a concrete action I would not otherwise have taken) of adding a load of stuff to my supermarket shop which doesn’t really count as a stockpile but would mitigate shortages for a few weeks...
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    In have been doing that, a few items at a time for weeks. My husband mocks and I hope he is right.
    edited March 13
    @CJCfarwest, is there any indication as to what things there might be a shortage of, apart from Common-Sense, that is?

I'm off to the supermarket tomorrow (if I live), so Need To Know what items to look for. Tomato SOUP is an obvious one, also WHISKY, and perhaps a PIE or several, but perhaps painkillers, too? They only let you buy two packets at a time, presumably in case you intend to Do Yourself In.
    :wink:

I'm perhaps being a bit mischievous, but, being dependent for life on Certain Important Medications, it's worrying to think that supplies of these may be interrupted post-Apocalypse Brexit....
    :angry:

ETA: I do actually need painkillers, especially after Pilates....
    :anguished:
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 13
    Cathscats wrote: »
    In have been doing that, a few items at a time for weeks. My husband mocks and I hope he is right.

I considered this but didn’t really know where to start.

I can’t think of any food I couldn’t do without for a quite a while - I have a bread maker and lots of flour so we wouldn’t be without our daily bread. Hmmm - maybe coffee is a priority, I’ll stockpile some of that next time I go shopping!

• CJCfarwestCJCfarwest Shipmate
    I don’t know - don’t think anyone really does - but was thinking today especially about fruit and veg as we are in ‘hungry season’ in terms of our own production at the moment. I live in a rural area and am very aware that all there is from farm gates at the moment is some late brassicas and rather woody leeks. I like cauliflower but don’t really want to live on it for weeks. So frozen veg, also imported things I would miss, or be cross if prices shot up like coffee and olive oil. I always have plenty of dry pulses and tinned tomatoes. I try and buy locally as much as I can so am feeling aware of the things I routinely buy that depend on import supply chains.

Meds there is nothing I can do about. My current repeat prescription takes me a month past brexit and if there are supply problems then I’ll be in trouble (though not as life threatening as some people)

It may all be fine. I hope so. But people who know more about supply chains seem genuinely worried so trying to at least build in a bit of a buffer...
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Dried foods like lentils and sultanas - we eat a lot of that and they are all imported. Tinned fish - again we are tuna lovers. coffee and tea (fairtrade) for the rest of the family - I don't like them, tinned sweetcorn and beans and loo roll. I heard from somewhere that loo roll could be in short supply for a while, so we have lots of loo roll - you need that!

I am assuming that porridge oats will still be OK as at least some of them are grown locally, but I might put a pack or wo in just in case.
  • I went to Mr Google out of interest, and apparently “what to stockpile for Brexit” is quite a common search.

It looks like the basic advice is a variety of tinned everything: vegetables and fruit, plus a bit of protein (lentils, sardines, that sort of thing). Also dried carbs like pasta and rice. You can also try to get in stuff that’s likely to get more expensive, like olive oil and WINE.

If (please God) you end up not needing the stuff, either you can give it away to a foodbank or work your way through it to reduce your grocery bill for a while.

More alarmingly, I also came across a pre-prepared “Brexit box” full of tinned and freeze-dried ready meals, along with purified water and firelighters. I’m not expecting it to come to that! :cold_sweat:
  • Well, prudence is a virtue.

Thanks for the heads-up - it seems as though stocking up on some tinned foods (the Episcopal Ark has no room for a freezer) might be called for.

I'm not really a vegetable sort of person, but SOUP, tins of PILCHARDS, MACKEREL, and SARDINES come to mind, also various kinds of tinned FRUIT. Perhaps some tinned NEW POTATOES as well - they're quite palatable......and I guess tinned PEAS, CARROTS, etc. would do?

I've just renewed my meds prescription for two months. If I don't get the repeat in May (ha!), I'll sit down and expire on my next-door-neighbour's doorstep. She's our Tory MP.

Dear God. I can't believe we've descended to this level. Treeza, go away, asap.

• In spite of my previous post, I too have done a little stocking up - shocked into it when I discovered that my elder son was doing so.
    Really just buying extra cans and jars of things I use a lot of - things with a Best Before date of sometime in 2020.
    And emptying my cupboards of things with Best Before dates prior to 2018 - such as the cafe-au-lait coloured evaporated milk I found dated 2012!!
  • We do a monthly pet shop for our cockatiel, at our nearest town's only pet shop. When we went in February stocks were low, so we couldn't do a full shop. I went back last week, and they had completely sold out. First time that's happened since we got the bird in 2003.

As all cockatiel food is imported, my best guess is that another local owner was stockpiling for Brexit. I ordered online and, as I had to order £40 worth to get free P&P, we do now have a stockpile of our own. :)

The pet shop still had plenty of budgie food, which I'm sure would have done fine, but he's an old bird and I don't want to muck about with his food now.
  • Maybe I ought to think about helping to stock up our local Food Bank....Our Place is in one of the most deprived UPA parishes in England.

On a slightly different (but related) note, I understand from a friend, whose son-in-law is a serving soldier, that the Army is on stand-by in case riots do indeed break out at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Ah well, HM the Queen will be OK. They'll evacuate her to somewhere civilised (albeit perhaps chilly), such as Canada.

• My Scottish grandfather was born in Ireland, which allows me to apply for registration as an Irish birth abroad. Ha! Born again at my age! I have almost all the required papers now, and if it goes through, then I can apply for an Irish passport and still be an EU citizen. Then Scotland will secede, and I can have a Scottish passport too. Of all the witless, bone headed, idiotic, destructive acts ever wrought by politicians in recent times, Brexit must top the list. But I'll miss the Queen. I've always liked her.
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    To quote Flanders and Swann:
    "I'll just bury me head"
    except now I've started worrying about shortages. Might consider stockpiling cat food.
  • Or cats.
  • Congratulations Stercus Tauri! I wish we could find an Irish forebear.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Concerned expat Brit checking in. Although we won't be directly affected* by shortages or (heaven forfend!) riots, it doesn't mean we don't care what happens to the country we'll always call "home".

My mind continues to boggle at the brainlessness of a government having to advise people to stockpile necessities and redeploy the armed services to deal with a mess that's entirely of their own making.

As for the money that's already been wasted on this fiasco, don't get me started ...

* although we will be affected by things like the value of the pound: we both have British pensions, and we haven't sold my late father's house yet, so its value (assuming we can sell it) may well not be what we once thought.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    I too agree with Sarasa. I’m in despair about the whole thing, cross with friends and relatives who voted leave and so sad for those being abused just because they were born elsewhere and have the temerity to live and work here.
    I’ve been trying not to discuss it at all, but now I just feel dizzy with the turmoil among those in government who could be applying their energy to actually running the country.
  • Colin SmithColin Smith Shipmate
    edited March 13
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not

watching this unfold on scrolling news"

I tend to adopt the same attitude I do when Chelsea are trying to avoid a self-inflicted disaster and hope a Belgian comes to the rescue.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Wishing comfort, wisdom, safety, and all the best to all of you.

FWIW: When needing to listen to disturbing news (national crisis, natural disaster, etc.), I've found it helpful to involve either more senses or fewer. So if I'm watching TV coverage, having music on in the background helps. Or skip TV and just listen on the radio. (Generally NPR--it's calmer than other stations, and more reliable.) Or read the news. Can also be helpful to turn off the sound on the TV, and read the closed captioning text. NOTE: if it's a live broadcast, the text may have some flaws. Don't know if that holds true in the UK.

YMMV.
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    Terrified here. A couple of people I know are undergoing cancer checks at the moment... look at the risks in the supply chain for importing the necessary magic for radiotherapy...

I am also really struggling to deal with my contempt-verging-on-hatred for leave voters who still think “it’ll all be fine and the sooner we’re out the better”. Some of whom are my family and friends.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Assured supply of vital drugs a major concern chez Firenze. We will be asking the consultant about that next week.

If push comes to shove Mr F and I have the shamrock lifebelts - as has Mr F’s sister and she’s bought a small house in France.

As for stockpiling, I was looking at the photos accompanying an article on the subject and thinking My cupboards always look like that.

I console myself by thinking that perhaps the whole mess might shake out two things I would love to see in my lifetime - an independent Scotland and a united Ireland.

And if that consolation fails, well then, realistically, I don’t have all that much lifetime left in which to put up with whatever does come to pass.
  • Originally posted by ferijen:

I am also really struggling to deal with my contempt-verging-on-hatred for leave voters who still think “it’ll all be fine and the sooner we’re out the better”. Some of whom are my family and friends.

Me, too. My father voted leave and still thinks it was the right way to vote. It's become an unmentionable subject. Dad has said that he thinks the short term pain will be worth the long term gain, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth when some of the short term pain is being felt in the North East household.

I'm not aware of any of my friends having voted leave, and my FB page is an echo-chamber of anti-Brexit feeling.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 14
    Some of our art class are ardent Brexiters. Luckily the teacher has a very strict ‘no talking Brexit’ rule.

One lady is a genuinely lovely lady, yet she is very racist and a keen Brexiter.

How can that be?
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    I ignore Brexit posts on social media. That way, the reporting is down to manageable levels. For me, social media is for social posts - friends and family news, as I don't believe you can really trust it for serious news like Brexit.
    And I try only to read or listen to direct reporting, rather than opinion / speculative reporting. Most of which seems determined to ratchet up anxiety generally, not just about this specific issue.
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    I was with my grandson Little Beaky yesterday. He is still suffering and his parents are concerned as the drugs he is on to reduce his seizures aren't working and the medics would like to try other drugs but they are very expensive and subject to availability issues- you can see where this could so easily go.........
  • ....yes, but do the E**ing Gitz running the circus actually care about people like Little Beaky? Alas, I rather think not.
    :rage:
  • No one is invading. There's no life threat. There's no rounding people up in the street. Worrying about money is a first world problem. -- which isn't exactly what my 91 yr old father said, but it's pretty close. He was twice a refugee.
    ... There's no life threat ...
    There is if you're dependent on medicine that you can't get because it can't be imported.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    You don’t need to have your life threatened to feel anxiety.

Anxiety is a rare feeling for me but I do recognise it and know its source. I’m trying @Chorister’s approach, keep informed without listening to 1,000,000 opinions on the subject.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    No one is invading. There's no life threat.

Me - and many others - will die if our medicine supply is cut off (especially if unexpectedly). There is a threat to life.

People who are just about coping at the moment, if the food supplies are interrupted, or their money is stopped will die.

So yes, it is a threat to life. This government already have more blood on their hands than many other recent ones. If they push this through - especially a no-deal - they will have many more lives on their non-existent consciences.

There are a few people I am in contact with on socmed who are finding this time is putting massive extra stress on people who are already teetering. I fear for them.

Stop being so dismissive of the genuine anxieties of others. They are real anxieties, with real dangers underlying them.
  • edited March 14
    I'm not dismissive. But we're getting same news as you are.

(It's nice to have drugs covered by a publicly-funded program at all; doesn't exist in Canada, it's all user pay directly or private/employer insurance if you're lucky enough to have it.)
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    That article from back in December says there were already problems with getting drugs then, there might be unofficial stockpiles in the system, but there might not be, and no one really knew what would happen. Given the last few days of chaos in Parliament, Britons have every reason to be anxious even if they aren't on life-preserving drugs.

It is unbelievably sad to watch the ruling class do its level best to destroy a nation that has given so much to the world. It's even worse to contemplate the personal toll it will take on so many people.

But even in the absence of such thoughts, if people tell you they are suffering, telling them they won't die is neither compassionate nor helpful. It is in fact dismissive.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    ferijen wrote: »
    Terrified here.

This. It's taken me a couple of days to sum up the courage to open this thread and post on it.

Absolute head in sand, fingers in ears, lalalala, but kept informed by Mr Nen who watches every news bulletin, knowing what it's going to say because his news app keeps him up to date moment by moment.

Denial (not just a river in Egypt) and avoidance.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    (It's nice to have drugs covered by a publicly-funded program at all; doesn't exist in Canada, it's all user pay directly or private/employer insurance if you're lucky enough to have it.)

Your problem and not really relevant, or helpful.

I will curtail this post since anything more would necessarily involve a mix of imperatives and obscenities.

• @NOprophet_NØprofit - you really are within a whisker of a Hell call, it seems.

Best leave us poor souls alone with our misery.
    :tongue:
    While we may not be at risk from an invasion, if the terms of the Good Friday Agreement (which, unlike the referendum, are binding) were to be broken and the Troubles kicked off again in Northern Ireland, there would be serious risk to life and peace.