From the Bleachers: Baseball 2019

Goodness, this snuck up on me this year, but technically the season kicks off tomorrow morning.

Yes, "morning," because the first game of the season is Seattle Mariners v. Oakland Athletics, playing in Tokyo. It will be at 5:35am ET. The Athletics will be the "home" team. As near as I can determine, they will only play 2 games (Wednesday and Thursday). The rest of the league will then start the following Thursday (March 28). Because MLB thinks all of that makes sense.

So, anyway, start of a new season! My Phillies made most of the big headlines during the off season, signing Andrew McCutchen, Jean Segura, J.T. Realmuto and some guy named Bryce Harper. That promises to make the NL East a tight division, with defending division champ Atlanta, the Nationals and the improving Mets all making a case to be the top team along with the Phils. Sucks to be the Marlins this year.

How do you think your teams will do?
Tagged:

Comments

• sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    I have this dream in which, as Cutch has moved back to Pennsylvania, he will see the Light, take a different turn out of his driveway and move back to Pittsburgh. Oh well, one can hope.

I guess we'll have a winning season (86-76?) but miss out on a Wild Card again.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    The last time I checked the predictions on Baseball Prospectus (around March 3), the Pirates were projected to go 80-82. But hopefully they will beat expectations. I was pleased that the Phils picked up Cutch.
    Also of note, as mentioned above Seattle & Oakland started the season in Tokyo. Seattle won both games. But what will be remembered more is that, after the second game, Ichiro Suzuki retired. The man is a baseball legend, a future Hall of Famer, and it was so appropriate for him to finish up while playing in Japan, where he started. Very classy of Seattle to make it happen.
    And in London on 29-30 June , the Red Sox and the Yankees will play two games at the London Stadium (the main venue for the 2012 Olympics).

Not my all-time favourite teams, although some grudging respect is due. I wonder if Pittsburgh will play over here before I snuff it? Maybe I shall have to take a break over the Pond. Shopping for Mrs Sioni (watch out quilting suppliers!), some culture for both of us and some sport for yours truly.
    Woo hoo! Cutch just hit a leadoff homer for the Phillies in the season opener!
    My annual "Last" watch (last team to lose; last team to win) is already over. The Phillies are the only undefeated team (at 3-0) while their opponent, the Atlanta Braves, are the only winless team at 0-3.

Honorable mention: The Seattle Mariners also started 3-0, but they started before most other teams and racked up their first lost back on March 29.
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Woo hoo! Cutch just hit a leadoff homer for the Phillies in the season opener!

I really should have bet the farm on that.
    Today (April 15) is the annual Jackie Robinson Day in major league baseball. It commemorates Robinson's breaking the color barrier in baseball.

In case you are interested, here is a statistical summary of Robinson's first game. It is not as dramatic as Hollywood would want it to be (0-3, including grounding into a double play) but he did reach on an error and then came around to score. He was putting down a sacrifice bunt and the error came on the throw to first. In my imagination, Jackie's speed caused the throw to be hurried, which is why it went wild.
    Another historical note of interest: May 4, 2019 marks the 150th anniversary of the first professional baseball team, the Cincinnati Red Stockings.