Anyone up for a meet in central London, May 6?

Mrs Eutychus and I will be in London for work-related reasons for a few days, and look like being free on the evening of Monday May 6.

I realise this will be a Bank Holiday, but if anyone's around and interested in a meetup we'd be game. We'll be staying near Gloucester Road tube station. Our last attendance at a UK Shipmeet was the legendary Sidmouth meet c. 2005 so I think we're about due one.

Comments

• TubbsTubbs Admin
    Ooohhhh! I will see what our plans are and if a Shipmeet could be shoehorned in
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Me, me! I'm around, helping at a fundraising event on the Saturday. I like the Ennismore, or did last time I was there.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    No plans as yet but a night pass may be possible
    OK, the Ennismore has gone, I was trying to remember what was still around. But we did meet in The Queens Arms a few years back, which is another of my student haunts. The other reasonable pub that has survived in that area is The Anglesea Arms, which way back when was Willie Rushton's local.
  • Tubbs wrote: »

Aha! As I recall, Polly owes me several rounds of beer! :mrgreen:
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    edited April 25
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Tubbs wrote: »

Aha! As I recall, Polly owes me several rounds of beer! :mrgreen:

He may not be delivering them personally, but I will do my best to make sure they get there :mrgreen:
    @Yangtze is a maybe.
    And @Moth can't come as she's working - I did ask about ShadoK, who doesn't seem to have signed up, but didn't get an answer on that.
  • OK... how does meeting up for a meal at around 7 sound? The Queen's Arms looks attractive but also at least gives the impression of getting booked up...
    The Queen's Arms gets a lot of pre- and after-show trade from the Albert Hall. I've checked what is on and it's the Alpha Conference for 6 and 7 May. I'm not sure how many involved will be filling the local pubs.
  • Roll call:

Eutychus
    Mrs Eutychus
    @Curiosity killed
    @Tubbs
    @Yangtze

Some of those being maybes.

Internet access is going to be trickier for me from this Friday onwards, so I'd like to venture a booking by then. Any additions or drop-outs at this point for 7pm at the Queen's Arms?
    The usual London attendees are @MMM and Macarius, @Spike and @Tina , sometimes @Sarasa, depending on what we are doing.

Having seen @Yangtze tonight she's more iffy. She is having knee surgery tomorrow.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Sorry, we’ve been keeping quiet. But we’re busy all weekend and so think we’ll give it a miss, though it will be a shame not to make the acquaintance of Eutychus and Mrs Eutychus.

Poor old Yangtze!

MMM
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    I've poked Spike on FB in case he hasn't seen this thread. Hope Yangtze is better soon
  • SpikeSpike Admin
    I’m up for it
    I'm aiming to come along for a drink after feeding the offspring, who is really not safe to bring anywhere near a pub serving food. So getting there around 7:30pm, assuming tubes working normally, and almost certainly having to go early too.
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    How many people want to eat? We will be wanting to, and to do so earlier rather than later.
    Not me - I'll have to cook at home
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    <bump>

Anybody interested in joining us for a meal at the Queen's Arms at 7pm this Monday, please PM me so I can make a booking and give you contact details. Anyone else, just turn up!
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    edited May 5
    So far we have four booked for a meal at 7 tomorrow, Monday 6. If you want to join our table please message me: I'm back in the land of Internet connectivity (ask to be added to the table with Eutychus on it, I can give you a booking reference if you PM me).
  • SpikeSpike Admin
    Their website isn’t the most helpful when it comes to finding the place (at least when trying to access with an iPad). What’s the nearest tube station?
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    Probably Gloucester Road.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Have a great time, all of you. I’ve been lurking, and would have liked to meet you and Mrs Eutychus again, but we live an hour or more out of London and being a Bank Holiday, the dreaded rail buses are scheduled from mid evening. I’d have spent the whole time looking at my watch. :(

edited May 6
    @Spike - haven't you met us there before? We have had a London meet with someone else there a few years back, who wanted a South Ken meet.

It's on a mews off a road that runs between Gloucester Road and Queens Gate, Queens Gate Mews. If you walk up Gloucester Road from the tube station, you're looking for a road off to the right towards the top. The pub is on a side road down off to the left as you near Queens Gate. (It used to look a dead ringer for one of the Minder locations, iirc, it was, but it's been gentrified.) According to Google maps it's half a mile.
  • SpikeSpike Admin
    @Spike - haven't you met us there before? We have had a London meet with someone else there a few years back, who wanted a South Ken meet.

I’m sure I have been there before, but I’ve been on a lot of shipments over the years.
    I am still coming, but late, very late. With mugs. And will probably have to turn around to go back almost immediately.

Mutters under breath about consultants who don't pay attention to anyone but themselves.
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    Well hurry up because we're rapidly using up Polly's beer tokens...
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Any photos/stories/scandals that need to be shared?

MMM
    edited May 7
    No photos - small select band, Spike, Tina, Eutychus, Gracie, me and Tubbs - but I really did arrive with mugs at 8:30pm and left again at 9pm. Tubbs went shortly before me. Not sure what happened after I left.

I did slightly wonder about the lunacy of travelling for 1h 45m each way for half an hour, so walked across Hyde Park on my way back as a sensible route that wouldn't take any longer, but meant I enjoyed some of the journey and doubled my time doing things other than sitting on tubes.
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    It was great to put a few more faces to names!

Now, anybody up for a meet in Vienna next week...?
    The surprise on your face when you met me was interesting. I wondered what you were expecting.
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    A tortoiseshell cat.