Rachel Held Evans has died aged 37

PomonaPomona Shipmate
Although I haven't read her work in quite a while and I really don't identify as post evangelical anymore, I am truly shocked and saddened by her death. She died from seizures that were part of an allergic reaction to antibiotics after being treated for flu. She is survived by her husband Dan, a 3yo son, and a daughter who turns 1 this month.

Source at Slate.

Comments

• Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Dead Horses Host
    Absolutely gutted. Rachel was a genuinely prophetic voice. I've referred many troubled evangelicals to her writings and talks. Although I've only "met" her through her writings and talks, I feel as though I have lost a friend. Awful for her husband, and her very young children.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I'm gutted.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Another story from Religion News Service (via Presbyterian Outlook) can be found here. Very, very sad.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    I am mourning her loss so deeply. I read and loved all her books and interacted with her a few times online. She was a lovely, gracious, wise, funny person who loved God and people. She was open about her own process of growing and changing in her faith which also included listening to and learning from others, especially from those on the margins. She lifted up the voices of others and used her platform to amplify theirs.

Her last blog post was a beautiful (and sadly appropriate, now) meditation on the Lenten season and on loss and lamenting. Her last two tweets were a light-hearted comment on how going into hospital would cause her to miss the season premiere of Game of Thrones ... but the tweet before those was about what a great job her husband was doing single-handedly caring for their small children while she was sick. I'm sure none of them could have imagined that within a couple of weeks he would be permanently a single dad.

There's a wonderful virtual wake happening on Twitter as people share what her work meant to them.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    How sad.
  • Net SpinsterNet Spinster Shipmate
    I've long followed her work and Hemant Mehta (the "Friendly Atheist" blog) has a tribute to her. https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2019/05/04/progressive-christian-author-rachel-held-evans-has-died-at-37/ She will be missed and my sympathy goes out to her family.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    Just. Shouln't. Be. 😭
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    I only "knew" her online and through her book "Searching For Sunday" but feel so sad about this. My heart goes out to her husband and children.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    So sorry -- I'll miss reading her.
  • quetzalcoatlquetzalcoatl Shipmate
    Awful news. I read her blog regularly, and admired her fight against the reactionary voices. Why are the good ones taken so soon?
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    I read the Slate article this morning and cried. I don't usually cry over people I don't know, but her death was so tragic and unexpected and it seemed she had so much to do both in her work and family life. I hadn't heard she was sick so it was a real shock.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I confess I hadn't come across her until someone (I think it was Rossweisse) mentioned on the Prayer thread that she was ill.

37 is far too young to die - may she rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • MargaretMargaret Shipmate
    I only really got to know her from the mention on the prayer thread too - I'd vaguely heard of her, thought I ought to find out a bit more about her since I was praying for her, and realised she was the author of the book whose title so intrigued my husband that he bought it -"A Year of Biblical Womanhood". It's not the sort of book he usually reads, but he enjoyed it, and for the past two or three months I've been harassing him to dig it out of the heaps of debris in his study and let me read it too.

Last night I had a look at her website before I went to bed, hoping for some good news, and found instead that she'd died. I went upstairs feeling very shocked and sorry - and found that by some weird coincidence he'd found the book and put it on my side of the bed. She was far too young to die and I'm so sad for her husband and their very small children - but I hope that her books will live on and inspire and encourage many, many people.

• Jammy DodgerJammy Dodger Shipmate
    What a terrible loss - obviously for her family - but her writing was such a blessing and help to so many. So young, very sad.
    edited May 6
    This link is possibly the last thing she wrote before her illness. Certainly it would be one of the last. I found it very touching. And challenging.

https://rachelheldevans.com/blog/what-i-learned-turning-my-hate-mail-into-origami?fbclid=IwAR1QyQuRUVZ7Z4x8xqJaRXQgD_DJJMBXJR22Kc-mgBdXxB_cjwyijplmuZ4
  • It feels a bit self indulgent to cry over the death of someone you’ve never met, but I did - because of the loss to her poor family - her husband and 2 tiny kids.
    Also, though, because it makes Christian conversation so much poorer. A Jewish friend of mine said she’d never heard of RHE but there were tributes from various Rabbis that she follows, praising her work. I’ve only read one of Rachel’s books - the Year of Biblical Womanhood, and I loved it. I also heard her interviewed on a couple of podcasts which I like - she came over as intelligent, thoughtful and above all, generous, even to the people who had been really unkind to her online. I have much to learn from her. She really did seem to occupy a particular place and be able to speak to so many people. She will be so sorely missed.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    This link is possibly the last thing she wrote before her illness. Certainly it would be one of the last. I found it very touching. And challenging.

https://rachelheldevans.com/blog/what-i-learned-turning-my-hate-mail-into-origami?fbclid=IwAR1QyQuRUVZ7Z4x8xqJaRXQgD_DJJMBXJR22Kc-mgBdXxB_cjwyijplmuZ4
    It is indeed touching and challenging, but it is dated 2013.

This is her last entry at her blog. It too is challenging, and all too prescient.

Thank you for the correction. I followed the link from another person and was obviously not careful enough in my checking.
  • quetzalcoatlquetzalcoatl Shipmate
    Still in shock over this. I read her blog regularly, and admired her withdrawal from evangelicalism. Oh damn death.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I haven't read any of her work, but I find it rather shocking that a Christian writer was getting enough hate-mail to make origami out of it.

Poor lady - no-one deserves that.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    What a gracious idea. I'm afraid I (well, my son) turned my hate mail into a coffee mug to laugh at.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    This is a terrible loss. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Loth, it may not have been the final one but thanks for posting that link anyway. I found it challenging and useful.