Appreciation (Chocolate?) for H&As

I have been reminded recently, by something RooK said, that we haven't done this for a while, maybe even a few years. As @Jengie Jon continues to be unavailable due to stuff, I offered to take it on this year. Cribbing ruthlessly from the last thread and with thanks to Piglet:

These boards run smoothly thanks to the efforts of a relatively small group of volunteers. Every so often there has been a thread where shipmates can sign up to send a token of their appreciation to the hosts on behalf of all shipmates. Traditionally that was chocolate but in this there is no reason to be traditional! Particularly as we are setting this up in supposedly midsummer in the northern hemisphere, when chocolate may not be the ideal choice for posting, given that it melts and not everywhere is as cool and damp as the UK is currently.

Hosts and Admins opt in, and will add any important info, e.g. allergies, plus what country they're in. To do that they need to sign up below.

Shipmates post here to offer tribute. Give an idea of where you are based and please say if you are able to send to a different country to help with matching. Sorry, but you can't specify a particular person to send to. I would be grateful if one or two shipmates would offer to be reserve senders.

There is no guarantee I will be able to allocate a recipient to you, as this depends on numbers of people participating. Post here by 31st July* to join in.

I will PM the recipients the name of their suggested sender, and then post a list of matches on the thread. All senders please PM their recipient, asking for their address. I do not gather addresses of hosts so won't be able to help with this.

Would H&As please post here when they receive their goodies, so I know who still has to receive. Around the end of August I will check the thread to see what is happening with recipients who have not received. Then I will make a final allocation using any unallocated senders including the reserves. The thread should be finished by the end of September.

Suggested price guideline, is as it has always been in the region of £5-10/US $7.50-15 or local equivalent.

Now I've said that let the fun commence!

(For those who have not been around for so long (goodness, 7 years), one H&A chocolate thread had RooK blatantly begging for choccorit - the empty spaces were photos of chocolate received.)

Comments

• JapesJapes Shipmate
    Yes, I'm happy to do this and happy to send anywhere.
  • Likewise. I’m based in the U.K. but happy to send here or elsewhere.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Sign me up for sending. In Scotland, but happy to post pretty much anywhere.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Happy to send
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    edited June 20
    Happy to send and happy to be a reserve.
  • Hi @Doublethink and @Jengie Jon - I know you're both UK. Can you please confirm if you are willing to send within UK or internationally?
  • Happy to send anywhere. Can send chocolate and / or Scottish tablet.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    In the UK and happy to send anywhere.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Will send anywhere
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    Based in UK, willing to send nationally or internationally. Equally happy to be a reserve.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    Happy receive milk chocolate or other gifts relating to where you live. Thank you @Curiosity killed for organising this
  • caroline444caroline444 Shipmate
    edited June 20
    Live in the UK. Happy to be a sender or a reserve, and to send abroad if required. Chocolate or equivalent fine, but thought I'd mention that I have access to a luscious Indian shop that sells lovely patterned cotton handkerchiefs with hand-rolled hems. (Ladies only.) I could do a couple of those if preferred.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    I’m UK based, happy to send anywhere.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thanks very much for taking this on, CK!

I'm very partial to milk chocolate, and live in Canada.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    Happy to send anywhere.
  • I will do this.

As all Shipmates know our wonderful community is only possible because of the brilliant work of our amazing H&A's
  • Yum. In the EU-27.
  • St EverildSt Everild Shipmate
    I’m based in UK, will send chocolate!
  • john holdingjohn holding Ecclesiantics Host, Mystery Worshipper Host
    In Canada -- will happily accept dark chocolate
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Aussie down here. Love very dark chocolate and have no problems with nuts, fruit etc. Thank you
  • KittyvilleKittyville Shipmate
    I'm in Australia but happy to send anywhere.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    As a former recipient of this generosity, I'm happy to contribute
    based in the UK, happy to send whatever to wherever
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    I would like to be a recipient. I like dark chocolate very much, but I'm afraid it will melt in the mail. I would be very happy to receive something from wherever you live. I like to get the feel of different places.
  • So far we have 6 H&As signed up and 14 Shipmates. I know we have more H&As than that. Any more for any more?
    edited June 22
    We are spread over time zones so give the others a chance. It is 4:44 pm here but early evening to Zappa.
  • I was trying to bump the thread so it showed in the Recent Discussions, rather than getting lost.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    I’m happy to receive chocolate (or tablet), but am very newly arrived, and don’t exactly feel I’ve earned it yet. (I prefer not to have nuts or bits of nuts in it, but praline is OK)
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    UK based, OK to send elsewhere. If anyone is in China can send it back with Chilperic in August!
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Behold, mortals and tremble. Placate the Keeper of the Infernal Realms with your darkest chocolate!

(Nearest entrance to Hell is in the UK... which isn't surprising at the moment).
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    I am feeling the same as BroJames, as I also haven't been a host very long, so it feels a bit cheeky posting here, but I am very happy to receive something. I like liquorice, or a salty, spicy snack - I'm very fond of crisps and happy to try any flavour, no matter how weird! I'm in the UK.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I was trying to bump the thread so it showed in the Recent Discussions, rather than getting lost.
    I've tweaked the thread so it should show in Recent Discussions.

Piglet, AS host

Chocolate is always welcome but other ideas include something small, easy to post showing perhaps craft, national ideas etc. I rarely use a wall calendar but was very happy with calendar sent by late-lamented Pete C. A cosy scarf was sent to me in a Christmas exchange between Shipmates.

It’s winter, very definitely, down here so no danger of chocolate melting, but that fact just reverses the hemispheres so somewhere it may melt.

BTW, we don’t do the job for the gifts or chocolate, but there are times when it is a big help.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Thanks, Ck, for organizing this! I would be very grateful for chocolate - partial to dark, but chocolate is chocolate.
  • GwaiGwai Epiphanies Host
    Enthusiastically appreciative of any kind person who might want to send me chocolate. I am less partial to fruity chocolate but you people are lovely and I promise to appreciate whatever you send.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    I would be happy to send an offering/oblation to someone in the U.S. (I'll have to do it via mail order, so U.S. is easiest for me.)

• finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    It occurs to me crisps might be hard to post, because they are an awkward shape, while chocolate is flat and easy to put in an envelope, so never mind my previous post - I didn’t think it through properly! I am also very happy to have chocolate. Yesterday was a very hot day and I was thinking chocolate would be all melty, but today is cooler and chocolate sounds quite delightful. I will be very happy with whatever is sent to me. Thank you, Ck, for organising this.
  • gizziegizzie Shipmate
    Happy to send chocolate or alternative to UK or Europe.
  • We could send goodies too. (Ross, we could handle yours if you like, at least the out-and-about bits of it--LL is volunteering)
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Oooh! Thank you for organizing this, Curiosity killed! Florida right now is Dreadfully Hot™, so chocolate would arrive in liquid form. But I would be grateful indeed for any non-melty treat!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Happy to send chocolate to UK or Europe.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    Nom Nom Nom

In NZ and happy to receive ANYTHING :heart:

Not being greedy or anything :wink:

(despite being the least of the brothers and sisters etc etc)
    (Ross, we could handle yours if you like, at least the out-and-about bits of it--LL is volunteering)
    Thank you! I'll take you up on that.

• Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    I'm in the UK and happy to send chocklit or equivalent anywhere.
  • I shall reluctantly consent to being sent tasty treats in order that all who wish to send them may be enabled to do so.

I hope you all appreciate the sacrifices I make for this place.
  • ThunderBunkThunderBunk Shipmate
    Have we heard from @RooK yet? The ground hadn't shaken.....
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I feel summoned.
    This is a delightful tradition, particularly because it reminds me of Erin and her ability to reach out with generosity in real life connections - even though I never met her in person. Thanks for continuing this.

I'm going to decline participating this year, though. My sugar addiction and I have yet to find balance.
  • If one of the Magical People need something other than choco mighten if be possible to subsitute something different on request? Say a bushel of caffeine seeds and a bucket to drink their liquor from? Or something else.

A gift certificate rather a physical article might be useful in some cases. The last thing I sent to the UK, shipping cost exceeded the thing shipped.

Otherwise I'll ship to a North American resident.
    RooK wrote: »
    ...I'm going to decline participating this year, though. My sugar addiction and I have yet to find balance.
    There's always very dark chocolate.

• Extraordinarily dark chocolate...
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    If one of the Magical People need something other than choco mighten if be possible to subsitute something different on request?

Yes. On occasion I have asked for something that gives me an idea of the place where the sender lives.

This discussion has been closed.