Chasing the black dog

1272829303133»

Comments

• Is that sort-of encouraging, in a not your fault sort of way, LVER?
    I have long found all things IT to be a source of frustration unlike no other. I can do internet banking fairly well now, but for the first few years I had it, it made me cry (as I say, not unusual for me, but tears of frustration and rage more than sadness) every bloody time I used it.

Good to hear solidarity from fellow weepies, thank you.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    I think there's a couple of reasons why IT is so frustrating and enraging. First up, there's no way of reasoning with the damn thing. Secondly, it feels like the sort of thing any fairly intelligent person ought to be able to do quite simply. I'm not stupid, I followed the instructions, so why doesn't it ******* work? :bawling:
  • ArethosemyfeetArethosemyfeet Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    I think there's a couple of reasons why IT is so frustrating and enraging. First up, there's no way of reasoning with the damn thing. Secondly, it feels like the sort of thing any fairly intelligent person ought to be able to do quite simply. I'm not stupid, I followed the instructions, so why doesn't it ******* work? :bawling:

Given the behaviour, I could more readily believe the Pratchettian view of technology - it's actually small demons imprisoned in boxes doing the thinking - than the almost immeasurably complex electronics that is actually the case. And I'm someone with a decent working knowledge of computers.

Sometimes more obscure browsers are kept up to date better for older operating systems so might have more luck than mainstream ones. UR Browser is one such.
  • Things have settled, thank you. I am generally back to (as is possible for me) normal.
  • great stuff Dormouse :smiley:
  • Good news, Dormouse.

Thanks for the views on technology - really helpful and interesting. (I’ve never read any Pratchett, but I like that take on the problem!)
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I have been struggling with the hound recently, but on Friday I decided to plant a small kowhai tree that I had been given. The soil was hard and the area had some very healthy twitch (or couchgrass). The exercise really lifted my mood. The tree is not yet planted as I need to do more weeding, but I'm so pleased the weather has co-operated.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I find gardening the best resort when it all gets too much. Not always easy in northern hemisphere November, what with weather, dwindling daylight and nothing growing. But I have some digging over and mulching I'm saving for when the need arises.
  • That makes three of us - being outside in the garden, even if it's doing something faintly ridiculous like picking up the fallen magnolia leaves from the flower beds, keeps the winter blues (mostly) at bay. Sunshine helps, however cold it is.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited November 2021
    It's spring here so another mood lifter is walking 50 metres or so down the road to the river. There is a wide variety of bird life but papango/blackscaups (small diving ducks) are my favourites. I stand there looking at a seemingly uninhabited stretch of water and suddenly a duck pops up. I'm waiting for the ducklings to appear. Size wise they resemble rotund sparrows, but when they are only a few days old the can dive about 5ft down.
  • I'm glad you are successfully managing your mood with such beautiful experiences Huia. I am doing well at the moment.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    And so close to home as well. A short walk with people you know around you.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Glad to hear that Simon Toad.

I really like my neighbourhood. When I bought my house 40 years ago (!) I was concerned about whether the river flooded in my street ( it doesn't) and how frequently the buses ran into town (now every 10 minutes on week days and 15 minutes on weekends) and that my street, a U shaped crescent off a major road, would be safe for the cats I knew I would have.

Now I realise how lucky I was to end up here. If I go to the older shopping centre I walk west along the river pathway, if I go east to the newer one I can walk either beside the river or through the wetlands to the estuary. People are friendly and the wildlife is varied and interesting.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    That ability to walk to shops etc is vital. Although there are no shops or other commercial activity in our suburb, there are sufficient in the suburbs either side and within a reasonable walking distance. Even more facilities with a walk to the station and taking the train in either direction. Now that we've both retired we can combine a bit of shopping with a cup of coffee and with getting some exercise.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I agree, I knew I couldn't afford both a house and a car, so a good bus service was essential as was a short walking distance to the shops, the river and the wetlands were a bonus.
  • SnowgooseSnowgoose Shipmate Posts: 21
    Two weeks before the winter solstice and I am doing fairly well so far. When we decided to move back to Buffalo from the southeastern corner of Virginia, people would say "Oh it's so COLD there and it SNOWS so much!" but it isn't the cold (or the snow) that is the problem. I would rather have two Buffalo winters than one Tidewater summer. It's the increase in hours of darkness that gets me.

My doctor recommended a light box. I was pretty skeptical about it working, but I went and got one, and it seems to be helping. (Yay!) Now if only they made a dark box for the too-long days of summer.
  • Snowgoose wrote: »
    Two weeks before the winter solstice and I am doing fairly well so far. When we decided to move back to Buffalo from the southeastern corner of Virginia, people would say "Oh it's so COLD there and it SNOWS so much!" but it isn't the cold (or the snow) that is the problem. I would rather have two Buffalo winters than one Tidewater summer. It's the increase in hours of darkness that gets me.

My doctor recommended a light box. I was pretty skeptical about it working, but I went and got one, and it seems to be helping. (Yay!) Now if only they made a dark box for the too-long days of summer.

IKEA blackout blinds are cheap and reasonably effective (we're another 13-14 degrees further north). We also use daylight bulbs (gradually moving to LED as the CFL ones die) for all our lighting. My wife has 30W of LED in her work room which is equivalent to something like 250W incandescent.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I like daylight bulbs - they also help when choosing needlework colours.

I was feeling OK until I had to ring my youngest bro about some family stuff. The subject was depressing enough, but he is virulently anti- vaccination. I love him, but I am limiting the time I talk to him.

It was a bit like Arthur Dent in Hitch-Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy - "That's it. we're all going to die." which of course we are, in the end.

I, however am planning to be an imperious old lady who pokes cheeky little kids with her walking stick, like Nana Harris, a character from my childhood. 😛
  • I'm picturing you in Victorian dress right now Huia!! :lol:

I know what you mean by limiting time. My Mum can be so negative, always looking for the bad side of things. Sometimes I have to keep conversations short to stop myself arguing with her. Her behavior has a chicken/egg relationship with anxiety together with a rooster crow indicating her increasing lack of ability to control her own life.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Hope everyone is doing okay at Christmas. I'm in iso, along with quite a few people from church and people they provide care support to, and struggling to get a covid test as test places are mostly closed or on short hours over Christmas so feeling situational sadness, teariness and irrational guilt and anxiety. I'm usually okay at Christmas otherwise, but know it can be a hard time for many people as we are expected to be joyful and extroverted and getting along with family members and that isn't the case for many people. Especially during a pandemic that has messed our plans up many times and even taken people's loved ones. Keeping all in my prayers.
  • I'm sorry covid is having such an effect on your family Mili, having read your post in SOME.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Thanks. My sister's mother-in-law is definitely positive per PCR test 🥺. So far everyone else is negative on antigen tests and no symptoms. Her husband is about 80 with health issues but triple vaccinated so hope he will be okay. She herself has mild symptoms and thought she had a sinus infection all week so hopefully she wasn't too contagious on Christmas.