Phone the Ship?

How can I get a link to the Ship on my phone, so that I don't have to go through Google everytime? This may be a foolish question to you trendy young things, but I'm 102 and technology confuses me.

Comments

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    This is the link to the forums homepage showing the different categories: https://forums.shipoffools.com/categories

And this is the link to the recent discussions page (where I often start): https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussions

If you type those links into the browser on your phone then it should go straight to whichever page you have typed in the link for. Once you’re on the relevant page you should be able to save it as a ‘favourite’ so as to be able to access it easily again without having to type in the address.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    On an iphone (using Safari), whist on the SOF page you wish to bookmark, look at the bottom of the screen. You will see a box with an arrow pointed up. Click on that. There will be an option to "Add Bookmark" click that.
    When you open Safari again, you will see an icon that looks like an open book, that is where the bookmark you have just made will be.
    On an Android phone*, whilst on the page you would like to bookmark, look for the ellipsis (...) at the bottom left and click it. scroll to where you see a star with a plus in it, next to the word Bookmark. Click that.
    When you go to use the bookmark, click on the ... and the click on the square with the star inside and it will take you to your bookmarks.

*Assuming Chrome is similar on Android and iPhone
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    On an iphone (using Safari), whist on the SOF page you wish to bookmark, look at the bottom of the screen. You will see a box with an arrow pointed up. Click on that. There will be an option to "Add Bookmark" click that.

There will also be an option for ”add to home screen”. If you select that option it will add the Ship as an icon on your home screen as if it were a separate app. There are many who find that easier than having to go through bookmarks every time.
  • I just always leave a tab open with the Ship in it!
  • My phone is a Samsung. I tried the "Add to home screen" option, but nothing seemed to happen. :(
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    I do 'add to favourites'. Then when I open my browser, I get a page that has links to all my favourite sites. Ship of Fools is represented by a black square with a white R in it (short for 'recent discussions', I assume, as that is the page I save).
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    My phone is a Samsung. I tried the "Add to home screen" option, but nothing seemed to happen. :(
    What browser are you using?

Nick Tamen wrote: »
    My phone is a Samsung. I tried the "Add to home screen" option, but nothing seemed to happen. :(
    What browser are you using?
    It might not be the fault of the browser. On some Android deceives, short cuts can be hard to find.

• Browser? I'm a Leo if that helps.
  • Google Chrome or Firefox or Safari - those are browsers
    It’s whatever you use to access websites etc. online.

If you’re using an iPhone, Safari is the preinstalled default browser. AFAIK if it’s an Android phone it will be Google Chrome. But you may be using something else.
  • If it's a Windows phone it's Microsoft Edge
  • I think I'm using Google, but I can't be sure.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    It is likely to be an android phone, iirc Samsung does depend on Android for their phones. It may well be google chrome but a little googling has revealed Samsung have their own browser.
    What do you normally click on to go onto the internet? Or do you do it all through a google search app?
    Do you use Facebook? Because it would probably be easier to ask there and show a pic of your phone screen to your friends.
    edited July 12
    Let's slow down here. Does the icon you click look like this globe thingy or like this multi-colour disc?
  • The multi disc, I think. And I've just discovered I'm an Android!
    The multi colour disc thingy is Google Chrome’s icon
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    The question may be where is Android putting the new bookmark. If it is like my phone (Android but not Samsung) then it is in the first available spot, so you might have to scroll through several screens of icons to find it. It should be a grey square with a little disc thing in the bottom right-hand corner (or that what it is like on my phone). It will be labelled with the page you saved so mine says "My Bookmarks"