Words'n Images.

Hmm, first post and a popup message informed me "image not permitted"
What have done wrong??

Regards.
weewillie

Comments

• We do not like imagesses, do we, precious.

More seriously, as an old-timer, as far back as I can remember these boards have never permitted messages and I think it is unlikely to change. If a particular image is pertinent to the discussion then the culture is to link to it rather than placing it directly into a post.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    If you want an image, you will need to host it elsewhere or find one that is and post a link to it. The board is for discussion. Hosts check each and every link that is posted, so we ask that no more than three links appear in any one post.

Jengis is right that images have never been permitted.
    We do not have images and as Jengie has said, this is a longstanding practice. The Ship is for discussion and so no images.

Read around, introduce yourself on welcome thread in All Saints. Take some time to settle in and see how things are done here.

Hosts check all links posted so we ask that there be no more than three links posted in any one post.

Lothlorien, All Saints Host
  • weewillieweewillie Shipmate
    Jengie Jon & Lothlorien, thank you for replying so promptly.

I'm rather surprised to read your comments though.
    When I applied for membership and I was to state why I wished to register, I clearly stated my intention was...to post images with encouraging words on them. I received a positive reply within 24 Hrs.

I'll just mention the images are not loaded in the shipoffools, so they are not taking up any bandwidth, they are linked directly to Photobucket.com.

However, your reply clearly states the rules and I would never have posted the images if I had been informed of that when I applied for membership.
    But rules is rules, as they say. So with that, I'll bow out and wish everyone continued success with all the exceptional various boards.

Respectfully.
    weewillie.

• @weewillie , if you are on Facebook you might be interested in our sister Facebook group, also named Ship of Fools. You can post images there.
  • You should be aware that there is more than one FB group, the one set up by Simon is the closest to being associated with the Ship. Others are closer to fan groups, and only relate to us by virtue of having several Shipmates (current and former) within the membership.

• This is the one to which I refer: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170848412928848/
  • That's the fan group which isn't an actual Ship of Fools group, simply a group of people some of whom are, or have been, Shipmates. This is the FB page published by Ship of Fools Ltd.
  • I don't see any posts on that thread that weren't posted by Ship Of Fools. So our new friend is unlikely to be able to post words and images there for anyone's edification. Directing him thither is rather irrelevant to his desired purpose.
  • SpikeSpike Admin
    edited August 12
    Just to confuse matters this group is the “semi official” group set up some years ago where Simon and I are admins. It’s a public group that was originally created as a sort of extension to All Saints for Shipmates to keep in touch with each other as well as to announce features on the main site.
  • Spike wrote: »
    Just to confuse matters this group is the “semi official” group set up some years ago where Simon and I are admins. It’s a public group that was originally created as a sort of extension to All Saints for Shipmates to keep in touch with each other as well as to announce features on the main site.

Def. a hidden gem.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    @weewillie, I hope you haven't given up. Welcome to the Ship! She has her own rules, but virtually all of them make eminent good sense once you've been around for a bit.
  • Yes, and it's simple enough to link to an image, if you want to share one with us!
  • Alan Cresswell\Admin; mousethief; Spike; Rossweisse, Bishops Finger, my apologies for being so dilatory in replying to your kind helpful comments.

Unfortunately, I'm not really a fan of Facebook\Snapchat Instagram or any of the alternatives. I did have a Facebook account years ago however, I decided it was not for me as my time was taken up by replying to many messages; all were kind, humorous and pleasant but, I'm afraid it was time to say bye bye from me with love and with many happy memories.

Now then, I did mention on my reply "August 11th.........

<quote>I'll just mention the images are not loaded in the shipoffools, so they are not taking up any bandwidth, they are linked directly to Photobucket.com.<end quote>
    I overlay the "Words" on the images. The words (verses) come directly from the Bible, or words that are I am sure, are considered equally encouraging\uplifting.
    Here's an example>> if it is of help... allow me again to mention all the images are hosted on Photobucket so they are not eating up any bandwidth of ShipofFools......please see below.
    NB If my offer is acceptable, then only one image per post would be posted....Sample Image Below.
    (If still not acceptable....No hard feelings, eh ;-)
    >>>>>>
    nb Nope still not accepting the image. Ah well, that's the way the cookie crumbles, as they say. lol.

Regards to all.
    weewillie
  • Welcome, weewillie.

If I'm correctly understanding this, can you simply post a link to the Photobucket image, rather than trying to import / post the image?

Something like this:

"Pearls Before Swine" comic 9/7/2019.

There's a practice thread on the Styx board (top board on the list of boards). I used the link button that you'll see in an edit window, right in the middle of the window's top button bar.

Good luck! :)
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 10
    @weewillie , that link works perfectly (thanks, @Golden Key), so it's worth trying that method. You could, if you wish, link to several images in the same post.

The practice board in the Styx is always available to afford artful assistance!
    :smile:
  • ... amiably.
  • ...and alliteratively, as, apparently, appreciated!
  • You are all very keen to help, I'm impressed, thank you.

Golden Key, I had a look at your suggested link... "Pearls Before Swine" comic 9/7/2019.
    I've never used the html code required to post a link to an image in that manner. I'm sure it will be simple though, so I'll have a look at the styx board..... ( just had a very brief look there, very handy) I'll give it a whirl and once I figure it out, it will be my pleasure to start posting the links.

Thank you all again.

100 x 100 4 U. :smile:

weewillie
    edited September 13
    Weewillie, I have been reading here and decided to post some points , which you may not know, as you are new.

These are general points, in no way aimed at you.

Some here have phobias, for want of a better word, about some images. Pictures of spiders come to mind. These need a trigger warning at the top so the image is not inadvertently brought up.

Along similar lines is anything which could be deemed not safe for work. We ask that a double click on a link is placed for these.

Please respect the copyright of others and do not post anything copy right. The same goes for anything which could be classed as libellous. The Ship does not have resources to deal with any fallout from this.

Finally a word to help Hosts. We are all volunteers. Checking links, which is part of the job, can be time consuming. Please, no more than three links in any one post.

As I said, this is general and applies to anyone posting.

Thank you.

Lothlorien, AS Host
  • Lothlorien, thank you for your eloquent reply regarding the use of images.
    I fully understand your words and do not in any manner take them personally. I'm just sorry to have given you all such a headache regarding the offer of posting images.

You will have read Golden Key's & Bishops Finger's alternative method of posting images. If you are even slightly concerned regarding that workaround, then I will drop the issue and push it no further without a hint resentment what-so-ever.

My best wishes to you.

Regards.
    weewillie.