Pond Wars

LeafLeaf Shipmate
The thread "Proof Americans and Brits speak a different language" in Purgatory was bound to cause trouble. And sure enough, it has.

It seems to me there are certain posters who cannot understand the difference between reportage and editorial. It is one thing to report on one's own idiolect and learn from the reporting of others. It is quite another to use opinion-filled commentary on the idiolects of others.

One poster is particular has demonstrated, through this and other posts, an extremely poor grasp of the difference between reportage and editorial, and consistently resorts to the latter, pointlessly causing hard feelings and derailing the discussion.

If the Ship is going to allow a thread with such loaded potential for a pond war, given the proclivities of certain posters, might I suggest a bit more attention be paid to hosting? Or perhaps not allowing such threads to be launched? I have been interested in learning more about rhoticism, but the rudeness of the current discussion is really not worth the price of admission.

Comments

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    It's in Heaven, not Purgatory. Just as an aside.
  • Leaf wrote: »
    The thread "Proof Americans and Brits speak a different language" in Purgatory was bound to cause trouble. And sure enough, it has.

It seems to me there are certain posters who cannot understand the difference between reportage and editorial. It is one thing to report on one's own idiolect and learn from the reporting of others. It is quite another to use opinion-filled commentary on the idiolects of others.

One poster is particular has demonstrated, through this and other posts, an extremely poor grasp of the difference between reportage and editorial, and consistently resorts to the latter, pointlessly causing hard feelings and derailing the discussion.

If the Ship is going to allow a thread with such loaded potential for a pond war, given the proclivities of certain posters, might I suggest a bit more attention be paid to hosting? Or perhaps not allowing such threads to be launched? I have been interested in learning more about rhoticism, but the rudeness of the current discussion is really not worth the price of admission.

I did call the poster in question to Hell.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    It's in Heaven, not Purgatory. Just as an aside.

Ah, thank you. In which case, there is even more reason to inquire about hostly latitude regarding the tone of the discussion, IMO.

mousethief: yes. May that poster profit by it.
  • The word "idiolect" is golden.

My thoughts are that a host could herd is along per usual. Always confident in that.
  • id·i·o·lect
    /ˈidēəˌlekt/
    noun
    the speech habits peculiar to a particular person.
  • Ah, I'm pretty sure the whole thing blew up rather quickly, and I see no need to fault any hosting. The poster has form, and seems to me to be attempting to be "edgy" again, as so often before. The Hell thread ought to take care of it. I would hate to start ruling interesting topics out of bounds simply because it takes a little while before certain people get their fingers slapped.
  • Ah, I'm pretty sure the whole thing blew up rather quickly, and I see no need to fault any hosting. The poster has form, and seems to me to be attempting to be "edgy" again, as so often before. The Hell thread ought to take care of it. I would hate to start ruling interesting topics out of bounds simply because it takes a little while before certain people get their fingers slapped.

Agree. No blame to the hosts at all.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Leaf, thank you for posting here. Hopefully the sniping stops now.

I'm anticipating the thread can continue in an entertaining and educational way, as it has mostly done since it was opened. I will admit that I haven't been as watchful recently as I should be, and really do ask forgiveness for that!

Heaven should be a place for friendly discussion and sharing, IMHO.

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    edited August 30
    I have really been enjoying our mutual wonderment at the language and pronunciation differences to be found in our ‘common’ tongue.
  • Fair call. It started with mild eye-rolling at sounds that are apparently homophones in certain parts of North America (Canada as well as the Pacific Northwest of the US) and nowhere else in the English speaking world and it escalated from there.

I should have expressed mild surprise and interest that this should be the case instead of taking the mickey.

Yes, I do have 'form' but also a tendency to tease people I like - and Mousethief is certainly someone I admire. It could be because I've lived in the North of England for a long time or because I'm a pain in the arse or both.

I accept the Hell Call and slapped wrist.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Yes, I do have 'form' but also a tendency to tease people I like - and Mousethief is certainly someone I admire.

It's not teasing. It's criticism. mousethief obviously didn't take it as such, and even if he had, he's not the only person from the US west coast posting here.
  • It started as teasing and ended as criticism. I don't have a problem with the west coast. I've never been there but hear good reports.

I won't trot out the old fly-over states thing about all the smart people being concentrated along the western and eastern coasts lest it be construed as a Pond War.

If I remember rightly it was No Prophet who started the thing about 'awe' and 'ah' rhyming but I had run out the old 'Merry Mary ...' thing before that so I suppose it was an accident waiting to happen or yet another occasion when I should have practised restraint and kept my gob shut.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited August 30
    Thanks for that. I just so much appreciate your promising not to refer to my current home as flyover country while... ah, referring to it as flyover country. :eyeroll:
  • It's called irony. You may have heard of it. Besides, I don't know where you currently live in the US. Remind me to fly over it.

But no, I shouldn't have mentioned fly overs, but the old saying does spring to mind when the eastern and western seaboards are mentioned. I'm sure it's grossly unfair. I know it is. My twin brother hitch-hiked across Canada and the US coast to coast and back.
  • GG--

It occurs to me that you keep digging yourself in deeper. Sarcasm/"irony" and further stand-up comedy do not help your situation.
  • You pledged to stop this. I must now take your promises to be as empty as Martin64's.
  • edited August 30
    Gamma, when in a hole stop digging. You were in a hole before posting on this thread, I strongly suggest anything else you post here is to fill the hole back in.

Alan
    Ship of Fools Admin
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    jedijudy wrote: »
    Leaf, thank you for posting here. Hopefully the sniping stops now.

I'm anticipating the thread can continue in an entertaining and educational way, as it has mostly done since it was opened. I will admit that I haven't been as watchful recently as I should be, and really do ask forgiveness for that!

Heaven should be a place for friendly discussion and sharing, IMHO.
    jedijudy, thank you for your response. I also hope the thread can continue with positive contributions.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    Ruth wrote: »
    Yes, I do have 'form' but also a tendency to tease people I like - and Mousethief is certainly someone I admire.

It's not teasing. It's criticism. mousethief obviously didn't take it as such,
    Unless you can read minds, you do not know it wasn't teasing. It is perfectly normal for teasing to be taken poorly and the fault can be on either side, depending on the circumstance.
    IMO, GG's fault is not that he did it, but that he didn't stop
    and even if he had, he's not the only person from the US west coast posting here.
    That is more relevant. It is unwise to throw a playful blow if one doesn't know where everyone is standing.
  • Gamaliel, like you I speak British English and I try to keep it that way, despite the influences of in-laws, media and everything else. Even so I did draw a sharp intake of breath when I read your comments and I was not at all surprised when you were called on it. There must be a better way for you to engage without riling others
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Thanks for that. I just so much appreciate your promising not to refer to my current home as flyover country while... ah, referring to it as flyover country. :eyeroll:
    Verily.

• RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    lilbuddha wrote: »

It's not teasing. It's criticism. mousethief obviously didn't take it as such,
    Unless you can read minds, you do not know it wasn't teasing. It is perfectly normal for teasing to be taken poorly and the fault can be on either side, depending on the circumstance.
    IMO, GG's fault is not that he did it, but that he didn't stop

Baloney. Gamma has done things like this repeatedly, has repeatedly said he would stop, and now he's done it again. It's only teasing the first time.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    It's called irony. You may have heard of it.

Ironically, it wasn't irony.
  • Type in haste, repent at leisure.

I've been to bed - and no, I hadn't been drinking - and reflected, reviewed and read the comments here and in Hell.

The damage has been done and whilst I now take up the spade in an attempt to fill the hole I regret that there will always be an ugly scar on this part of the lawn. Shipmates and Hosts/Admins were very kind, patient and understanding of me during the trauma of my bereavement and were prepared to overlook some of my egregious behaviour at that time.

Now I feel I have betrayed that trust and it smarts.

Jonah the Whale's comments are pertinent and lilbuddha's helpful and insightful.

I do like to think that I have a robust keyboard connection with Mousethief that can withstand some ribbing but I overdid it and not for the first time. So yes, the Hell Call was well deserved. There was also collateral damage in terms of offence given to other denizens of the US West Coast and Canada.

I apologise.

I also recognise as I try to tamp down the soil that any apology I now issue will have a hollow ring as I have been a repeat offender.

I will have to live with the consequences of that as I withdraw to the Land of Nod or become a pariah and a restless wanderer across the earth.

I am a mass of contradictions but a sensitive soul and don't like upsetting and offending people. I regret that I have done so, apologise and will try to be wise hereafter and seek for grace.