Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Purgatory: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

Comments

• Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Yikes re Secret Service.
  • In his video announcing the drive-by, Trump says he now understands the coronavirus, and he will soon "tell you all about it".

Sorta like Neville Chamberlain announcing on Sept. 2 1939 that he's going to inform everyone about the evils of Nazism.
  • stetson wrote: »
    Trump says he now understands the coronavirus, and he will soon "tell you all about it".

Oh, thank goodness! Finally! The world has been in darkness about it for so long. :joy:
    Was T actually in that car? Could his face be seen?
  • The video clips of a very pale Don trump look like his coughing has been edited and things are spliced.
    TT--

Ummm...do you really think the people around the president would agree among themselves to just dump the knowledge of a president's death on the public, without any planning for fallout, and just "cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war"?

They might well be tempted, but it would be thoroughly irresponsible to do that, and very unwise.

I'm not saying they'd stash his remains the basement and forget about them for a long time. Just that there'd be a lot to do, and they'd need time, and a chance to exhale.

A couple of days to do that could be justified.
  • People--as of October 4, 2020, he is not dead. Time will tell what will happen next.
  • At this point I believe his leaving hospital was premature. He'll wind up back in hospital.
  • Day ten is the killer I have heard. Someone said old Boris posted some happy vids from hospital before arriving at Death's door.
  • At this point I believe his leaving hospital was premature. He'll wind up back in hospital.

He is his own man.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    At this point I believe his leaving hospital was premature. He'll wind up back in hospital.

He is his own man.

What does that mean?
  • Well, yes, but none of those examples involve the actual death of the President being concealed.

Weekend at Donnie's?

What? Too soon?
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    At this point I believe his leaving hospital was premature. He'll wind up back in hospital.

He is his own man.
    What does that mean?

It means he's a remorseless sociopath who will endanger the lives of his bodyguards for a photo-op.

It should be noted that, while the Secret Service agents in the vehicle with him are wearing protective gear, deliberately manufacturing a scenario where they'll need it is criminally negligent. Also, the types of armored vehicles the president* usually rides around in are hermetically sealed to prevent gas attacks (meaning that whatever viral agents get exuded aren't flushed out of the vehicle), while hospital HVAC systems are, by regulation, 100% outside air with no recirculation.
    One article said that all the Secret Service from his ride will need to quarantine.

Also saw mention that there are thousands (?) of Sec. Serv. agents active because of the election. (They do more than physically protect T.)

So what happens if huge swathes of them get sick?
  • If none of the SS who were in the car get sick, it'll be spun as a win for Trump. "See? His enemies went into a panic and accused him of spreading the disease, but everyone was just fine! Victory!"

In related news, I just saw a headline to the effect that Biden is only managing to tie Trump in Ohio.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    My husband is retiring soon, and one of his friends sent him an email saying he expects my husband is hoping for a Trump win as his pension will be worthless if Biden gets in. I'm not sure where this friend gets his news from, but he thinks all conventional news services are lying. We're in the UK and I haven't come across anyone who thought like that before. I just hope there aren't too many like him in the USA.
    In Trump illness news, the Guardian is assuming that Trump is directing his own care and that his doctors are not pointing out to him, that taking every drug available for Covid isn't necessarily a good idea. The next two or three days are going to be interesting.
    On the plus side, Barron (T's teen son) has tested negative,
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Sarasa wrote: »
    My husband is retiring soon, and one of his friends sent him an email saying he expects my husband is hoping for a Trump win as his pension will be worthless if Biden gets in. I'm not sure where this friend gets his news from, but he thinks all conventional news services are lying. We're in the UK and I haven't come across anyone who thought like that before. I just hope there aren't too many like him in the USA.
    In Trump illness news, the Guardian is assuming that Trump is directing his own care and that his doctors are not pointing out to him, that taking every drug available for Covid isn't necessarily a good idea. The next two or three days are going to be interesting.

I certainly had an acquaintance tell me they were voting for Boris to protect their pension investments from Corbyn 🙄😬! To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement!
    If none of the SS who were in the car get sick, it'll be spun as a win for Trump. "See? His enemies went into a panic and accused him of spreading the disease, but everyone was just fine! Victory!

Fascinating to see a hospital transformed into a reality show set in just a couple of days. When does he start telling "you're fired" at the doctors?
    In related news, I just saw a headline to the effect that Biden is only managing to tie Trump in Ohio.

A YouGov poll released recently and taken over the period from September 30 to October 2 has Ohio as dead even. Other polls show a one or two percentage point advantage either way, but that's within the margin of error for most polls

There are nine states with current polling margins less than or equal to 6 percentage points (i.e. close enough to be within the ±3% margin of error for most polls). They are:
    • Wisconsin (10) Biden +6.0 pp
    • Pennsylvania (20) Biden +5.4 pp
    • Florida (29) Biden +2.4 pp
    • Arizona (11) Biden +2.3 pp
    • North Carolina (15) Biden +0.8 pp
    • Ohio (18) Biden +0.4 pp
    • Georgia (16) Trump +1.0 pp
    • Iowa (6) Trump +2.9 pp
    • Texas (38) Trump +4.0 pp

The states in bold have margins of 1 percentage point or less and can be regarded as true toss-ups.

Not including these states, Biden can anticipate 250 electoral votes and Trump 125. In other words, if Biden wins both Wisconsin and Pennsylvania or Florida alone he's accumulated enough electoral votes to win, assuming no surprises elsewhere.

Recent polling out of Pennsylvania looks good for Biden.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Our television news this evening was trying to evaluate how the Greatest President There Ever Has Been Or Will Be might really be faring from the various heavy duty drugs he's being plied with.

I'm not convinced that this approach will yield any valuable interpretation. Since he's the President, he knows everything about everything, is better than the experts and His Word is Law, I suspect he's just ordered his medical minions to pump the lot into him, irrespective of whether he needs them, whether they will react well or badly with each other and irrespective of whether they are best used at particular stages in the progress of the disease.

• Any doctor who does that should be -- what would the equivalent of defrocked be -- destethescoped? Just ask Michael Jackson's ghost.
  • TurquoiseTasticTurquoiseTastic Kerygmania Host
    I think "struck off" is the term you're looking for Miss Amanda.
  • Donald J. Trump
    I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!

5 October 2020

My guess is that he and his campaign team have decided that he has to play the strong man. The polls look really bad for him right now and he needs to do something to change the election dynamics, so they're rolling the dice on him not needing re-hospitalization in the next four weeks.

Instituting adequate COVID-19 protections/procedures at the White House is going to be a nightmare, but of course President* Super-Spreader doesn't care if anyone else gets infected.
  • From the BBC:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news

It's about 830pm here in Boris Island, so presumably there's still plenty of time in Trumpland for the POTUS to be taken home...

...and there have also been reports of a number of junior White House staff testing positive. Is it time to isolate the whole building from the Rest Of The World?
  • For obvious reasons Trump's "Don’t be afraid of Covid" tweet made me think of this.
  • :scream:

I've never seen that film, but one wonders...
  • :scream:

I've never seen that film, but one wonders...

It is, of course, based on a book.
  • Yes - that was mentioned in the credits.

I wonder if Mr King is also writing the screenplay for the horror film which is today's world?
    Thoughts:

--Is it safe for him to announce to the world what time he's leaving? Of course, the Secret Service might change that schedule.

--Did they get sick of having him in the hospital? "Yes, sure, sir, we understand you want to go home, and that's an excellent idea. There's a good team of people there who will be running away screaming to take good care of you."

--AIUI, the meds can have negative mental effects, particularly the steroid. If it's true that he feels better than he has in years, might that sense of euphoria (or whatever) be a symptom, and could reasonably be kept in the hospital longer for his own good?

--Odd thing about the pics/film of him "working" in various rooms of the hospital: AIUI, the metadata shows that they were done within a short period of time, and he'd had to have been changing clothes between takes. So all to make him look like he's busy. In and of itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing. But doing it for his campaign, and for convincing the public that Covid isn't really anything to worry about...not good.

--There's some questioning about one pic, where he seems to have signed his name on a blank piece of paper. ISTM, the signature was towards the bottom, about where'd sign papers given to him. Why? Are they going to paste it into documents? Does he feel happy signing his name, and they indulged him? Was it a mental functioning check?
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    I’ve never heard a doctor sound more like a politician. He prevaricated all the way.

I found it disturbing.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 2020
    One wonders how much he was paid.
    :disappointed:

As regards the steroid, yes, AIUI the good feeling might indeed be a negative thing. It seems it's wrong to give dexamethasone too early.

I hasten to say that IANAD.

The next few days might be...interesting...
  • Boogie wrote: »
    I’ve never heard a doctor sound more like a politician. He prevaricated all the way.

I found it disturbing.

That'll be the joy of trying not to say anything that will come back to bite you about your patient and his condition when the eyes of the world are upon you.
  • Dave WDave W Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    --There's some questioning about one pic, where he seems to have signed his name on a blank piece of paper. ISTM, the signature was towards the bottom, about where'd sign papers given to him. Why? Are they going to paste it into documents? Does he feel happy signing his name, and they indulged him? Was it a mental functioning check?

It's not the first time he's posed for a photo pretending to do something resembling work. This time, though, he forgot to tilt the pad.
  • Dave W wrote: »
    Golden Key wrote: »

It's not the first time he's posed for a photo pretending to do something resembling work. This time, though, he forgot to tilt the pad.

It's a Trump family tradition:
    There is a long history in the Trump family of denying serious illness. According to a Trump family friend, Trump’s father, Fred Trump Sr., insisted on working even after his Alzheimer’s disease advanced in the 1990s. “To retire is to expire!” Fred Sr. would say. The friend said that as Fred Sr.’s disease worsened –– he once came down the stairs wearing three neckties –– the family created a system so that Fred could think he was still running the Trump Organization. Every day Fred Sr. would go to the office in Brooklyn and they would give him blank papers to sort through and sign. The phone on Fred’s desk was set up so that it could only dial out to his secretary. “Fred pretended to work,” the family friend said.
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    It's a Trump family tradition:
    There is a long history in the Trump family of denying serious illness. According to a Trump family friend, Trump’s father, Fred Trump Sr., insisted on working even after his Alzheimer’s disease advanced in the 1990s. “To retire is to expire!” Fred Sr. would say. The friend said that as Fred Sr.’s disease worsened –– he once came down the stairs wearing three neckties –– the family created a system so that Fred could think he was still running the Trump Organization. Every day Fred Sr. would go to the office in Brooklyn and they would give him blank papers to sort through and sign. The phone on Fred’s desk was set up so that it could only dial out to his secretary. “Fred pretended to work,” the family friend said.

That's rather sad.
  • Well, so long as you-know-who has a TV to watch tuned to Faux News, he can pretend to work.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited October 2020
    Meme I saw today
    There are more COVID-19 cases
    in the White House
    Than active cases in Vietnam

Just checked. Vietnam has 79 active cases.
    Re Fred Sr. "pretending" to work:

Yeah, it is sad. Depending on the situation and how it was handled, might also be a great kindness. He could feel like he was still living his normal life, and probably not know any better.

Re Fred Sr. trying to wear 3 ties, due to dementia:

From the various pics of T in the hospital, I saw that he didn't wear a tie, and his shirt collar was open. I don't think I've ever seen him that way, except maybe for golf and tennis. If he and his crew are trying to make his followers think he's actually working, strange they wouldn't have him wear a tie. (Not that *I* think he should wear one.)
  • Trump's Dad was treated well. Routine is very important for dementia patients. He was fortunate that his family were prepared to do that for him.

Croesus pointed out that Trump and his campaign team want to play the strongman. They have no other play.
  • Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    edited October 2020
    If he was symptomatic from Friday Oct. 2nd, there can be no statistical all clear until Monday Oct. 12th? After 10 days, 6 days from now. If that occurs, it's four more years.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Martin54 wrote: »
    If he was symptomatic from Friday Oct. 2nd, there can be no statistical all clear until Monday Oct. 12th? After 10 days, 6 days from now. If that occurs, it's four more years.

I very much hope not.

But I’ve had the same kind of hope a few times over the last six years or so. 🙄🙄

• The Times says he left hospital in his own insistence, in other words, discharged himself against medical advice.
  • Well, his folly may yet catch up with him.
  • Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    The Devil looks after his own.
  • Ah - but who looks after the Devil?

Answer me that...
    :innocent:
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    The Obstructionist, Oblivious, Obstinate, Odious, Out-of-Touch Orange-in-Chief can't even be bothered to look after himself and his own self-preservation. How we managed to foist this ill-intentioned misguided ego-driven dunderhead with the moral judgment of a 2-year-old on ourselves still mystifies me. How he continues to have any following at all bewilders and frightens me.

If he gets re-elected, no matter how, I am taking my outrage to the streets. T's re-election Must. Not. Be. Allowed. To. Stand.
  • Ohher wrote: »
    If he gets re-elected, no matter how, I am taking my outrage to the streets. T's re-election Must. Not. Be. Allowed. To. Stand.

Some sensible people in my acquaintance (Canadians mostly, no Americans) have queried the possibility of conflict, on the continuum of "civil unrest" (whatever that means) to civil war. We've been flashed scenes of what appears to be ongoing ?daily riots in some American cities, which are hard to track as to the level of violence and numbers of people involved. I take this to be the civil unrest. Does it become civil war when some threshold of violence and causalities occur?

I'm thinking of some events family members have lived through in other countries. Two armed groups begin to escalated conflict. The existing power structure supports some form of intervention, and uses the conflict (which they may not have actually instigated) to their advantage, which angers the groups in conflict, and things escalate. Usually someone - some group takes control of someone or some facilities and announces something. In your scenario, your election result is either indeterminate or represented as such, and the winner tries to consolidate holding on to power, which upsets the other side. Multi-lateral calls for calm, while someone actually encourages unrest and violence.

Do you think America is somehow uniquely insulated from such things? Which could lead us astray into discussing exceptionalism. It's reasonably fresh in my mind the 1970 October Crisis in Canada, with the prime minister invoking the War Measures Act re "apprehended insurrection" and tanks and troops in the streets of the capital city, Ottawa, and other cities, and hundreds of arrests.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    From the various pics of T in the hospital, I saw that he didn't wear a tie, and his shirt collar was open. I don't think I've ever seen him that way, except maybe for golf and tennis. If he and his crew are trying to make his followers think he's actually working, strange they wouldn't have him wear a tie. (Not that *I* think he should wear one.)
    Having had covid myself, there was no way on the second week of 'moderate' chest symptoms that I would have tolerated anything round my neck. I couldn't even wear a round necked t shirt because of the feeling of suffocation on my upper chest.
  • That chimes in with the possibility of him still having breathing problems, no?

However much They try to dissemble...
  • edited October 2020
    If he's SOB*, let's look for some panic, irritability, cognitive derailment. More of anyway.

(*SOB - short of breath)