Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Purgatory: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

Comments

• The world has to speak, and loudly. I stand aghast that Trudeau, May, Macron and Merkel continue to kiss you-know-who's you-know-what.
  • The trouble, from the perspective of foreign leaders, is that the USA is so bitterly divided. They have to play nice, because the reality is that he controls the largest military on the planet and we might need you, and he might be there for the next six years. I would be appalled if our PM openly criticised Trump. Our previous one did, but he was filmed on a mobile phone doing it. It wasn't a public event. He was cracking a few jokes.

We are supposed to be allies. Our leaders are not supposed to criticise yours. When Trump promoted Boris as a better leader than May because she didn't do what he told her to do over Brexit (a horrendous breach of protocol), May waited and consulted before revealing that advice. She had to consider what the implications would be if she defended herself, even against Trump's boorish and improper behavior.

Ordinary people and journalists are not under these constraints, and it shows.
  • My Singapore Peace Summit Commemorative Coin arrived today. It's a bit shit and very expensive. Just like the talks themselves!
  • https://usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/01/donald-trump-suggests-migrants-could-shot-throwing-rocks/1850582002/
    The world has to speak, and loudly. I stand aghast that Trudeau, May, Macron and Merkel continue to kiss you-know-who's you-know-what.
    "who will rise up for me against the wicked? who will take a stand for me against evildoers?" Apparently no-one. As you note. Incredible how low it goes. (BTW, psalm 94:16)
  • The problem is, as we all know, that the Great Bullfrog is notoriously thin-skinned and bears grudges.
  • Grudges only work against those who permit them to.
  • When you're the leader of one of the most significant countries on the planet, grudges work against everyone.
  • I think the rock is a rifle thing might be an allusion to Israeli policy regarding their border fences with Gaza and the West Bank? The Pro-Israel vote (especially the Christian part of it) might find an attempt to make our border policy like Israel's attractive - and also see it as a sign of support for Israel. The statement from Trump after the Pittsburgh antisemitic genocidal terrorist attack (that is what it was) that those who seek to destroy Jewish people will be destroyed is also an allusion to the rhetoric of Netanyahu, Naftali Bennett, etc., and may be directed at the same audience in the US.

Of course, we need to do a lot more to address antisemitic and white supremacist terrorism in this country, and Trump has sent all kinds of dog whistles to hate groups for a long time, so his hypocrisy is glaring.

And Trump's invasion rhetoric on the migrant caravan is hate-filled invective designed to frighten people who had lukewarm support for him in 2016 who have felt disillusioned since to go ahead and vote for Republicans. Any allusion to Israel is a minor issue compared to that, if such an allusion is intentionally there at all.
  • The world has to speak, and loudly. I stand aghast that Trudeau, May, Macron and Merkel continue to kiss you-know-who's you-know-what.

Speaking as a Canadian, I don't know what anyone thinks Trudeau is obligated to do to thwart Trump. The Prime Minister's job is to guard the interests of Canada; if maintaining a judicicous silence about the internal affairs of the US helps in that goal, that's what the PM should do.

If Americans effed by electing Trump, then it's Americans' job to turn that around, not anyone else's. (And yes, I'm aware that there are voices in Canada demanding that our politicians "go down there and tell that bastard off right to his face!" That's all posturing, though. No PM with any sense of either his country's interest or his own would do something like that.)

• stetson wrote: »
    Speaking as a Canadian, I don't know what anyone thinks Trudeau is obligated to do to thwart Trump. The Prime Minister's job is to guard the interests of Canada; if maintaining a judicicous silence about the internal affairs of the US helps in that goal, that's what the PM should do.
    Absolutely.
    If Americans effed by electing Trump, then it's Americans' job to turn that around, not anyone else's. ...
    And they've got just over 24 hours to get that done. No pressure, it's just the fate of humanity in the balance.
  • Apparently, there is a billboard in St. Louis that shows a photo of Trump with the Bible verse "The Word became Flesh..." and the motto "Make the Gospel Great Again."

It is not currently known who paid for the ad. It does raise the question: is it by a truly deluded fan of Trump; or is it by a foe of Trump strategically putting up something offensive that appears to praise him?
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    It is not currently known who paid for the ad. It does raise the question: is it by a truly deluded fan of Trump; or is it by a foe of Trump strategically putting up something offensive that appears to praise him?

Poe's law strikes again!
  • Is it true if the USA Congress turns Democat, they will propose the 45th amendment to the USA Constipation? Which makes presidential lying unconstipational?
  • Constipational? Seriously? Are we four years old?
  • Poe's Law tested and proved. It is true. :wink:

On the 4 yrs old. I think he acts about twice to three times that, 8-12.
  • Love a poo joke, and billions are with me.
  • I'm thinking of you constantly American Shipmates, and I mean all of you who post here, regardless of your opinions. Whatever the outcome, life will go on and there will be other elections. Still, I'm hoping for Democratic control of Congress and expecting control of the House.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Thanks. :)
  • Thank you, Simon Toad.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I'm thinking of you constantly American Shipmates, and I mean all of you who post here, regardless of your opinions. Whatever the outcome, life will go on and there will be other elections. Still, I'm hoping for Democratic control of Congress and expecting control of the House.

Life will go on, except for the people these extremists kill.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited November 2018
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    My Singapore Peace Summit Commemorative Coin arrived today. It's a bit shit and very expensive. Just like the talks themselves!

Speaking of which:
    Got a chance to see the White House commemorative coin from Trump’s meeting with Putin in Helsinki. So far spotted 3 typos in the Russian inscriptions, including in the word “Helsinki.”

Also the inscribed Trump quote is from his meeting with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un a month earlier...

You'd think Trump would have access to native Russian speakers at this point.
  • LadyleftfieldloverLadyleftfieldlover Shipmate Posts: 17
    I too am thinking of all my American friends. I know a few who can live elsewhere, and have said they will do so, rather than live any longer with the reign of Trump.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited November 2018
    @Crœsos wrote:
    You'd think Trump would have access to native Russian speakers at this point.

If you sometimes don't click on links, make sure you click on the one in Croesos' post above. The third reply spruiking a book on Trump is a beauty!

Classic!!! :lol:
  • Looks like we won't have Jeff Sessions to kick around any more. According to Trump's twitter feed the acting Attorney General is now Matthew G. Whitaker, Sessions' former chief of staff at the Justice Department.

The two possibilities about why Sessions resigned now are that it's either a prelude to firing Robert Mueller now that the midterms are behind us or that he's trying to beat the rush out the door ahead of House Democrats getting subpœna power in January.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Oh, I reckon he's going for Mueller. The Senate Majority will block the protests. They already have the cover story in place.
  • For those who wonder what Mr. Whitaker thinks about the Mueller investigation, here's a piece he wrote for CNN in August 2017 titled Mueller's investigation of Trump is going too far.
    Says it all, really. Look out for squalls.
  • I don't think Mueller will be fired but I think it is likely he may be told to wind down his investigation quickly (and/or that he needs to shut down any part of it looking into Trump's finances). The report that his investigation produces at the hastened end of does not legally need be be shared with anyone, not even Congress, by the Justice Department so it could just be filed away forever.

I don't think there is any way for a House Committee to subpoena contents of Mueller's report or evidence he has collected - or is there?

I think any investigation done by Federal Prosecutors in New York (it was they who indicted Michael Cohen) is completely separate and much harder for an Attorney General to shut down than Mueller's investigation - is that true?
  • Is someone going to burn down the Reichstag Congress soon? Or equivalent crisis. Be a great time for a terror attack to unite everyone against a common foe. I don't think the people walking from Honduras are threatening enough.

Interesting how the Nazi tiki-torch Charlotte white people were "nice" and how the brown walking trauma people are so scary bad.
  • nice comparison, NP.
  • News here is that Sessions was sacked.
  • Yep, and it couldn't have happened to a nastier person. That bloke almost made Trump look human.
    The latest example of Trump news management.

Trump not only abused Acosta he also abused the next questioner who defended Acosta.

I think it's time for the White House correspondents to show some solidarity here.

• romanlionromanlion Shipmate
    edited November 2018
    Not to incite panic, but RBG has fallen at work and broken several ribs. (again)
  • Did she fall or was she pushed? :paranoid:
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited November 2018
    RBG?

Google isn’t helping 🤔
  • Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
  • The Notorious RBG.

Long may she live.
    Amen. She regularly works out with a trainer and lifts weights, even though she looks frail while doing it. (Stephen Colbert worked out with her in a segment for his show.) AIUI, weight-bearing exercise is good for (women's) bones, so the fall might have been far worse if not for working out.

(votive)
  • Personally, I want RBG to do whatever makes he happy, with no regard for the makeup of the Supreme Court. My guess is that she likes being on the Supreme Court and working hard.
    Yes, but...if she retires during T's administration, he'll have a chance to put another person he likes on the court. I.e., stack the court. If approved, they'd have the job 'til retirement or death.
    Re RBG:

Search on "notorious rbg". Lots of info about her, the nickname, gifts that celebrate her, etc.
  • I have a feeling that she was hoping to be able to retire after Hillary had won the election, but that now she doesn't dare. If that is true, I feel for her.
  • Trump now claims not to know the person he appointed as interim Attorney General. I'm guessing that there must be some pretty bad skeletons in Mr. Whitaker's closet (even aside from his participation in a company that was a Trump-University-level scam). Just think about how bad it would have to be before "I appointed someone I know nothing about to head the Justice Department" becomes the face saving explanation.
  • That's just the preliminary stage before Trump blames Whitaker on Obama.

More likely, Trump may be thinking that, if he states that he does not know Whitaker, then there is No Reason for Whitaker to recuse himself from handling the investigation, like that turncoat Sessions. And any suggestion by the Democrats that he should recuse himself will just be further evidence that Democrats are Enemies Of The People and the whole organization should be banned by executive order and all those claiming to be Democrats should be imprisoned or deported.
    I think he's disavowed knowing people before, when he'd previously acknowledged them.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    He's apparently cancelled a visit to the American military graveyard in France because it's raining. Poor wee snowflake.

It's not as if he doesn't know how an umbrella works - we've all seen the picture of him holding a brolly over himself and letting Mrs. T. get wet. :rage:
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    He's apparently cancelled a visit to the American military graveyard in France because it's raining. Poor wee snowflake.

It's not as if he doesn't know how an umbrella works - we've all seen the picture of him holding a brolly over himself and letting Mrs. T. get wet. :rage:

No he doesn’t.

🙄

• A perfectly reasonable decision by Trump. He might get damp, catch a cold, which might then develop into pneumonia and he would linger for a few weeks and then die. And if that happened, who would there be to stop democracy from triumphing?!?!??!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Boogie wrote: »
    Thanks Boogie - I hadn't seen that one! What an idiot. :mrgreen: