Questions / Requests on the new boards

Will the Limbo and Oblivion pages eventually include links to those boards on the old ship?

Comments

• (This is not strictly speaking a software question so I started a new thread. If you wish to close it and refer to the snag thread, I would not be hurt.)
  • Those sections will eventually contain archived threads from these boards (we don't have any yet!).

I think links to the equivalent boards on the old Ship would be a good idea.
  • EsmeraldaEsmeralda Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Where's the directory gone? I need to PM a shipmate to give them the link to Waving but I don't know where to find them.
  • If you know their ship name and start to type it in the Recipients box in the New Message page, then their proper ship name pops up
  • Esmeralda wrote: »
    Where's the directory gone? I need to PM a shipmate to give them the link to Waving but I don't know where to find them.

As BroJames said, you can enter the name in the recipients box and if you know how it starts you'll get a list of Shipmates that start with that letter/combination of letters. You can PM multiple people.

As for the directory, we're still looking at how we can implement that.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    edited February 28
    OK, I know this is a strange concept, but how do I log out? It's not a problem at home where I'm the only user, but I do access & post from work which isn't a private computer....

OK, back to your scheduled service - I've found it :smile:
  • The cog in the top right hand corner has an option to sign out.
    BroJames wrote: »
    If you know their ship name and start to type it in the Recipients box in the New Message page, then their proper ship name pops up
    OK, where's the New Message page then?

• BroJamesBroJames Shipmate
    edited February 28
    Near the top of the page on the right - a filing tray icon near your username. Click it and it can either take you to messages, or start a new message. This link may get you there.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    Near the top of the page on the right - a filing tray icon near your username. Click it and it can either take you to messages, or start a new message. This link may get you there.

That's also your inbox, where you'll access PMs sent to you. If there's a number on it someone has sent a PM that is unread.

Others have answered the main question, but also note that Private board members no longer need a separate bookmark for their board. Once they’ve been made a member they will see it on the main boards list automatically.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Dead Horses Host
    Many of us would like a Directory, and request are in, but it might not be that easy to achieve. Meanwhile, the drop down menu for New Message isn't a bad half way house.
  • I take it the page(s) of most recent posts is no longer a thing?
  • mousethief wrote: »
    I take it the page(s) of most recent posts is no longer a thing?

At the top of the page there are links to "Categories" and "Discussions". This switches between a list of boards, or a list of posts by most recent. "Categories" and "Recent Discussions" to the top right of the page do the same thing (the right hand menu will also provide quick links to any threads you start and any that you mark as favourites)
  • Thanks! I'll give it a go.
    Do boards no longer have a list of their hosts at the top? Also, in my profile under 'Roles' it says 'Shipmate' - should it not say 'Host' or 'Private Board Host'? Not trying to pull rank or anything, I just think it's useful for people to know.
  • Purgatory has the hosts listed in the sticky thread on Guidelines.
  • Eutychus wrote: »
    Purgatory has the hosts listed in the sticky thread on Guidelines.

All the boards do. We're working on a more elegant solution
    Also, in my profile under 'Roles' it says 'Shipmate' - should it not say 'Host' or 'Private Board Host'?
    Hmmm, when I look I also see "Waving not Drowning Host". So I can confirm you are a Private Board host. That should be visible to all (also next to your name on posts), I'll add it to our snagging list

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    What’s the reasoning for disabling sigs please?
  • We tried them, but they were visually intrusive. Especially on mobile devices, they occupied a lot of vertical space. The effect was to interrupt the flow of threads, and we want to prioritise discussion so we disabled them again.
    Also, in my profile under 'Roles' it says 'Shipmate' - should it not say 'Host' or 'Private Board Host'?
    Hmmm, when I look I also see "Waving not Drowning Host". So I can confirm you are a Private Board host. That should be visible to all (also next to your name on posts), I'll add it to our snagging list

Correction, Alan - private board roles are only visible to members of that board (and admins)
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Esmeralda wrote: »

Er, well, I seem to recall making it a role that only visible to Crew and WnD members. I suppose a peek behind the curtain is in order.
  • Ah, in which case ... @Esmeralda does that fix the problem? Can you see your own role now?
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I was close - the role was listed as private information, thus only Admins could see it. Now it's public, so "WnD Host" should be visible by all.
  • rufikirufiki Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    I was close - the role was listed as private information, thus only Admins could see it. Now it's public, so "WnD Host" should be visible by all.

I can see it, and I’m just a pleb.

• We tried them, but they were visually intrusive. Especially on mobile devices, they occupied a lot of vertical space. The effect was to interrupt the flow of threads, and we want to prioritise discussion so we disabled them again.

For the brief seconds they were on, I disagree. At least in the desktop. I thought them a better implementation than the old Ship as they were more distinct from the posts, but not obtrusive.
    Didn’t get a chance to see them on mobile, but it isn’t like the sigs on the old ship were exactly space saving.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    I'm another one who hopes you'll give sigs another chance.
  • It's quite common for forums not to show signatures in their mobile version, but just when on a desktop. That would presumably solve the main problem.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    And I’m another. I generally enjoyed them and thought they added color to the Ship’s culture, especially when they told me something about a Shipmate.

• Rossweisse wrote: »

All we are saaaaaayiiiiiiing.....
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    I'm surprised that, given this is brand new software, we don't have a WYSIWYG editor. I thought most places these days were abandoning BBCode-like solutions…
  • Joan RaschJoan Rasch Shipmate
    edited March 1
    The Vanilla posting guide shows the option of adding a category to a post. Is/will it be implemented here? So far, I don't see the option.
    * A cyclist on the information bikepath
    * AKA Fafnir the Thurifer
  • Another annoying person who would prefer signatures....

(Used to be Oscar the Grouch)

(Signature used to be "Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu" and I'm still waiting for someone (anyone!) to ask me why...)
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    ... (Signature used to be "Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu" and I'm still waiting for someone (anyone!) to ask me why...)[/i]

I'll do it! Why, Rufus T Firefly (formerly O the G)?

Rossweisse // I'm not dead yet

• Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Rufus--
    Another annoying person who would prefer signatures....

(Used to be Oscar the Grouch)

(Signature used to be "Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu" and I'm still waiting for someone (anyone!) to ask me why...)

Ok, why the sig? Is it in an African language?
  • Joan Rasch wrote: »
    The Vanilla posting guide shows the option of adding a category to a post. Is/will it be implemented here? So far, I don't see the option.

The categories are the board names. So this one is in The Styx category.
  • edited March 1
    Another vote for sigs. And does anyone know if is it possible to condense the way the page looks on the screen? For me it comes out in about 14pt text, and a lot of the page is white - if I could make it much higher density (more scanning by eye, less scrolling) it would be nice.

Edit (6 minutes!!) - OK - I just want it to look more like the old ship, on my screen at least :)
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    OK - I just want it to look more like the old ship, on my screen at least :)

One of the great things about the old ship was its minimal wasted space. Not a lot of white that could be filled with something else. One thing you can see on the new ship is the QUOTE button at the bottom of each post. To its right is a huge waste of screen space. In the old ship the quote button was on top in the area by the poster's name and avatar, space which currently is going unused. This is probably just a quibble with the Vanilla designers.
  • Hi shipmates,

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm not the designer, as such, but I was responsible for translating the new Ship's website (coming soon!) design into something that fitted in with Vanilla.

I was limited, somewhat, by what Vanilla (the new forum software) provides. You can tweak it to some extent, but in other ways it's restrictive.

There is also a certain amount of opinion involved in design. Some folk love lots of white space, and clean, airy, flat, modern design. Others want something more functional. It will be hard to please everyone. And, I should add, I've been happily surprised by how much people like the new system. Gripes have been relatively minimal.

I will review feedback with the captain at some point (I have a day off today, so this may not be until early next week when things have settled). It's vaguely possible that we could some kind of option for a condensed view that saves in a cookie in your browser. I'm not sure what he'd think of this.

One short-term option on desktop/laptop browsers would be to zoom out your browser window (this is usually Ctrl-minus or Cmd-minus and you can use Ctrl/Cmd-0 to reset the zoom). Also if you're on a desktop, there's the option to use an extension like Stylish to apply your own styles to the page. This is another way to fix things in the short term. Let me know if you want more info on that I can maybe throw together a set of styles for you.
  • Great! Several ctrl-minus later, that's a lot better - but it seems like text is grey, not black. So is there anything similar to do to achieve high contrast?
  • Thanks for all your hard work!

I've just noticed that "reader view", which comes as standard on Firefox, puts the page in sans-serif format automatically.
  • Great! Several ctrl-minus later, that's a lot better - but it seems like text is grey, not black. So is there anything similar to do to achieve high contrast?

Hah. This is my life as a web developer. You can't please everyone. Super-high contrast full-black-on-full-white text is actually supposed to be bad for accessibility and readability because it's too strong. So yes, the body-text is off-black (#404040 if you must know).

This effect is probably amplified when you zoom out and have smaller text.
  • There is also a certain amount of opinion involved in design. Some folk love lots of white space, and clean, airy, flat, modern design. Others want something more functional. It will be hard to please everyone.

To give a brief peek behind the curtain, this was an issue on which the Editor/Admins/Techies had some disagreement. I was in the "too much white space" camp myself, if that makes you feel any better @mousethief . But the majority decision carried the day, as it generally must when designing something like this that's going to be used by a myriad of people from all over the world with different expectations and preferences.

I've got used to it. I'm sure the rest of you will as well. And just think - your minor aesthetic sacrifice means others will be happier with the boards than they would otherwise be :smile:
  • Am I imagining things or are the magic faeries (or more likely software) actually taking me to the last post I read when I click on a thread? If so I'm very impressed.
  • Yes they are :smiley:
  • Actually, it should be the post below the last one you read (though, if there have been no more posts since then it'll probably be the last one)
    Ah, in which case ... @Esmeralda does that fix the problem? Can you see your own role now?

Yes I can - thanks. Another question: how do I pin or highlight a thread?
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    You 'announce' it. It'll stick at the top, in the order you announce them.
  • The "cog" icon provides access to a set of options (edit, delete etc). The icon for the thread itself (either at the top of the thread, or next to the thread on Category view) includes an "announce" option which pins the thread to the top of the board (only announce to your own board, otherwise it appears on the top of recent posts as well).