Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Circus: Mafia Lifeboat

Comments

• In stormy seas like those upon which we sail, one clings on to whatever floating help you can. In the fear and panic of our interpersonal (and animal) situation one can often find the smallest thing can set one off on distrusting another..fair play for sticking to your guns in terms of persistantly aiming for Rover, but I think your suspicion is misplaced
    I vote Lambie for lynching
  • Miss du Chat had spent the evening sitting quietly, listening to the talk around her. She was a bit concerned how much alcohol was being quaffed, surely her fellow passengers weren't going to cope with the dangers, from these other survivors as well as the sea, with drink taken.

She felt jittery and anxious, hating the feeling of not being able to trust her companions, knowing that if they could identify one of the murderers they would be safer, really unhappy that this meant she had to join in with a lynching party.

She gulped and, through dry lips and a tight throat, managed to rasp -
    I vote to lynch Lambie
  • Oh dear!
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Voting is now closed. Seven votes have been cast.
    Three people: Gwai, Amy, and Chelley, did not vote.
    No votes for No Lynching or Gwai.
    One vote for Rover (Lamb Chopped)
    Two votes for The Honourable Miss Alton (Fletcher Christian, Rover)
    Four votes for Lambie: (NOProphet_N0Profit, Not entirely me, Wet Kipper, Curiosity Killed)
    With a majority of the votes cast, Lambie is lynched. She may post a death scene.
    She was innocent.

Will the mafia, detective, and doctor please post me their night actions. The rest of you may talk among yourselves.
  • "But no--oh, not me! no no no no NO!" Lambie screams shrilly as she is forced to the edge of the lifeboat. "I see a shark--and my manuscript, my precious manuscript--" she teeters for a moment--"I'M GOING TO HAUNT YOU ALL!"

Lambie swans gracefully into the open jaws of a shark, pausing only briefly to remind her erstwhile boatmates that they still have two undisposed-of bodies on board.

Pew!

Chomp.
  • GwaiGwai Epiphanies Host
    edited March 2018
    I had to save my opinion for when I'd been awake at least a few hours. But where did I wake up to. You all are disturbing. I'm going to bed.
  • Hmmh.
    Amy doesn't vote.
    Lambie is innocent
    Chelley disappears.

Are we floating aimlessly, or are we being steered by strange forces?
    I'm going to bed, worried.
  • Miss du Chat sat shivering and sobbing quietly. She was devastated that her nomination and voting had meant that poor innocent Lambie was no longer. She looked around to see if anyone else was awake, because Lambie had a point, no-one had decided what to do with the bodies of Dai Furst and Mr Sloth.
  • You fools, you fools! All remaining bodies should be slipped over the edge to suffer a sea-change, into something rich and strange.
  • We've confirmed there's sharks. Kookoosint agrees that we might as well feed them. Damn! Kind words for the innocent dead.
  • Ha! [glug, glug, glug]
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Out of character: I ended up really busy with work on Fri, and spent today super tired. I’ll try to catch up tomorrow!
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Miss du Chat looked at the others with worried eyes. "Would putting the bodies into the water bring more of those beast around us? I'm really not sure that would be safe, a feeding frenzy of sharks surrounding such a tiny lifeboat? And we have the other animals on board to protect. Can we put the bodies in the butt of Malmsey?"
  • “If we give them decaying flesh they might be put off. I’m not sure how fresh sharks like their meat.”

The shark-infested waters and the body-count are certainly starting to take their toll on Phereniki’s calm. Dutch courage time!
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Morning has broken. The sun is shining; the birds would be singing in the trees if there were any trees in the open sea.
    In the middle of the lifeboat there lies a butterknife on top of a pile of surgical bandages and an empty bottle of brandy for medicinal purposes. All of you who went to sleep in the evening have woken up alive and well.

Let the pointing fingers start. Nominations close Thursday morning GMT as per usual.
  • Well now, is anyone going to be terribly surprised if I do my usual nomination round? The evidence is mounting if you look with the right eye. So, here goes.....

Nomination: Lynch Miss Alton.
  • The two most likely candidates for lynching were Lambie and Miss Amy Alton in Kookoosint's mind. Making Lambie shark food was a mistake. This means that Amy, whether innocent or guilty would not have been killed overnight because the baddies want us to do this for them. Are we wandering into their trap?
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    Well now, is anyone going to be terribly surprised if I do my usual nomination round? The evidence is mounting if you look with the right eye. So, here goes.....

Nomination: Lynch Miss Alton.

The Honourable Miss Amy Alton wonders why Fletcher is always crusading against her.

No, on second thoughts, she knows why. It's because he's a murdering criminal murderer, and wants to pin the blame on Miss Alton instead. (Or so she strongly suspects. It's possible he's merely insane…)

Nominate: Fletcher
  • Miss du Chat, looked bewildered, "But I'm sure you said that there would be a grizzled detective on board, Miss Alton* - you wondered who it would be? Don't you have any ideas now?"

"Does anyone have any ideas why no-one was killed last night?" she mused.

* Miss du Chat had worked for a number of ladies with the title of the Honorable. She knew from this experience, that whether the Honorable Miss Amy Alton liked it or not, she is usually referred to as Miss Alton or Amy in speech, the title being used in introductions and for written addresses (on envelopes) normally. Anything else seems a little phony to Miss du Chat.

• AmyAmy Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    "But I'm sure you said that there would be a grizzled detective on board, Miss Alton - you wondered who it would be? Don't you have any ideas now?"

I've got my suspicions, but I'm not sure I want to share them yet. If I'm right, it would put a target on their back. And if I'm wrong, it would make me look like a fool.
    Does anyone have any ideas why no-one was killed last night?

One might suppose the Doctor was on his rounds. Indeed, if the Doctor was protecting someone, s/he now knows someone who is confirmed innocent…
  • Indeed, perhaps there was some merit in people staying up to chat all night, instead of just sleeping.
    My thanks and congratulations to whomever it was that kept us all safe last night.
    Applause to our wonderful watch doctor. You did well.

I would appreciate hearing reasons for any nominations. I fully see why Miss Alton would nominate Fletcher considering. Fletcher, why do you nominate Miss Alton? Otherwise the obsession with her is a bit odd.
  • Miss du Chat turned to Gwai, and without thinking said the first thing that came into her head:
    "But Gwai, the Honourable Miss Amy Alton nominated you to be lynched yesterday, while you were still asleep!"

She stopped, put her hand over her mouth to stop herself from blurting out the speculations that were wheeling around her confused brain and started trying to puzzle out any other possible implications.
  • So Fletcher say Amy and Amy says Fletcher... “Are you intending to divide us? Is this a strange ploy of some kind?”
    I rather get that a passed out guy might be trouble. I'll be a good boy next time and not follow cute sailors to sketchy bars. I mean I don't even remember my crazy night, so it was a waste.

And Fletcher may well have done something suspicious. I would just like to hear what.
  • ChelleyChelley Shipmate Posts: 16
    Chellington the parrot had been circling above the lifeboat, got caught in a rather strong crosswind and made a bit of a lengthy detour to get back... Though on returning she saw even more commotion going on below... and squawked suspiciously at the cat... hmmm
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Rover has been watching the parrot with fascination ...
  • Chellington, with your bird's-eye view, have you spotted something we've missed?

Rover, with your keen nose have you been able to sniff out anything? Or has the smell from these bodies put you off?
  • Phereniki soothes the ship’s cat and continues to ponder where loyalties lie. Who might be working together? Someone outspoken with someone quiet? Who has had much to say or very little?
  • Miss du Chat had been thinking hard. Doubtfully she started putting her thoughts into words: "Fletcher has been very sure about nominating the Honourable Miss Alton. He has nominated her for lynching three times now. The first time he was too late, so that nomination didn't count, but the second time, he voted to lynch Miss Alton. He has now nominated Miss Alton again."

Miss du Chat wrung her hands and looked worried, "Whereas Miss Alton has been most inconsistent. She didn't nominate anyone but voted to lynch Rover the first night, with poor Lambie", Miss du Chat sobbed into her handkerchief. "The second night she nominated Gwai, but didn't vote, and now she's nominated Fletcher."

She looked around the huddled group and asked, "Can anyone make any sense of this?"
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    Many apologies for not voting on day two. It was an omission — the deadline (as it were) just crept upon me. I was at the time considering voting for Lambie… my nomination of Gwai having done its work prompting Gwai to speak.

Of course, it appears my gut feel from yesterday would have been mistaken, haha. Dead wrong, you could say. It happens to the best of us.

In the absence of solid information, what else can we do but attempt to trust our woefully miscalibrated instincts?
    I think it is sureness that is more peculiar than changing ones mind these days. How can anyone have been sure who was guilty from the first day?
  • and I expect it is this uncertainty which is creating the cyclical nature of our conversations.
    Immediately after an event we are all full of thoughts, worries, ideas, suspicions and nominations, but as soon as someone has been nominated - and in some cases the offer a defence - we're all too afraid to probe any further, lest we be drawing attention to ourselves as getting closer to the bad guys, or end up following the initial voices to the lynching of an innocent.
  • Miss du Chat had continued to cogitate and listen. She turned to Gwai,
    "Gwai, aren't you being awfully forgiving of someone who nominated you for a lynching."

She sat there thinking some more, and muttered to herself, almost inaudibly, "... but if Miss Alton is Mafia, as Fletcher seems to think, then it would be a very smart move indeed for a member of the Mafia to nominate their co-conspirator when there were so many nominations and another nominee acting suspiciously ... it would be a gamble but it might pay off ... it could suggest that their partner in crime was innocent ... "
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    We have two nominations at the moment: The Honourable Miss Alton (Amy) and Fletcher Christian, and No Lynching is as always on the list. If you would like to nominate anyone else (or draw my attention to a nomination I have missed) you have less than twenty hours.
  • Well, Miss Du Chat, such a ploy may well have worked, considering that nobody, as yet, is considering Gwai for lynching today.

I agree suggesting a co-mafia in a situation where they are likely to be "ignored" due to the high profile of the others under consideration, is a risky but good tactic to have been seen to be nominated at least once, and therefore when nobody votes for you, it gives the impression you can be considered "innocent"
    I was completely comatose. I'd nominate a inactive player too. Can we stop squabbling about whether I should be in-character mad that someone tried to get rid of an inactive player?

I'd still dearly love to know anyone's reasoning. We've heard that Miss Alton could be mafia for nominating me who would then also be mafia. My current leaning is to be suspicious of Fletcher for nominating someone before he could have possibly known they were guilty and then sticking to it like glue. But that's not great evidence either. What do others think?
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Fletcher has been tenacious, I agree
    Has he been able to confirm his initial suspicions of Miss Alton's guilt, and will now doggedly pursue justice?
    Did he, as one of the bad guys, know she was innocent straight away and has been trying to guide us towards lynching her for his benefit?
    Or does he simply feel like focusing on one particular person, regardless of what he knows about them, is a good way of drawing out conversation and trying to get the bad guys to slip up and reveal themselves in whether they readily go along with his suggestions / try and steer him away?
  • Miss du Chat has been pondering on Gwai's responses, and is confused. "Gwai, you're saying that you think that it is reasonable for the Honourable Miss Alton to have nominate an inactive player. But thinking about it, only the mafiosi have reason to nominate someone who is inactive as they need to kill off as many innocent people as possible. The innocent players need to keep as many people as possible alive and only identify and remove the Mafia to keep themselves safe."
  • Kookoosint feels his mapmaking is quite poor, both in terms of getting us to a nice tropical island, and understanding who is the baddies. He thought we were on the right track and now isn't sure at all. He also sees limited information with which to know what to do. He's thinking "no lynching" this time, but isn't sure yet.
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    But thinking about it, only the mafiosi have reason to nominate someone who is inactive as they need to kill off as many innocent people as possible.

There is rather a difference between nominating someone and voting for them. Nominating someone may clue them in to speaking more, and it is only by people's speech that we can ascertain guilt.
    The innocent players need to keep as many people as possible alive and only identify and remove the Mafia to keep themselves safe.
    He's thinking "no lynching" this time, but isn't sure yet.

This again? Miss Alton is rather distressed.

I definitely believe that a No Lynching at this stage can only help the mafia. What would it gain us? Most likely, if we don't lynch, we're in the exact same situation tomorrow, with no new information, but one of our number dead. We can only win by lynching!

I suppose it is possible for the detective to gain some information in the night. But it's also possible for the detective to die in the night, so I think those cancel out!

I would rather lynch at random than not lynch. Then at least we have a chance at winning by luck. But if we only move when we are sure, then we will definitely lose. You can never be sure in this game.

I'm pretty suspicious of Kookoosint at this point. However, I will probably still be voting for Fletcher today, since I can't figure out why someone who isn't mafia would crusade against me quite that much!
  • Miss du Chat's reasoning is interesting. Please continue to a logical conclusion if you can.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    edited March 2018
    Nominations are closed. The following have been nominated:
    The Honourable Miss Alton (Amy)
    Fletcher Christian
    No Lynching

Votes before 11pm BST; please put at the end of your post in bold. Usual terms and conditions apply.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Miss du Chat looked up, she wrings her hands, and says worriedly, "I've been thinking hard all day and although I hate killing anyone, I am voting to lynch the Honourable Miss Alton." She gulps and continues, "I am pretty sure she is Mafia, from the information I've inferred from her posts:

"She has tried to convince us to vote for lynching someone, anyone, repeatedly, which only supports the Mafia. There were 11 of us, 2 Mafia, 9 innocent. So far we have lynched one innocent person and the Mafia have murdered one innocent person. So from odds of 9:2, we have now odds of 7:2, which is worse for the innocents. If I am right and Miss Alton is Mafia, we will improve our odds to 7:1."
    Amy wrote: »
    I definitely believe that a No Lynching at this stage can only help the mafia. What would it gain us? Most likely, if we don't lynch, we're in the exact same situation tomorrow, with no new information, but one of our number dead. We can only win by lynching!
    This isn't true. We only improve our odds if we manage to lynch a Mafia member - then our odds improve to 7:1, if we lynch an innocent member of the crew, we worsen our odds to 6:2. So Miss Alton has got this wrong and badly wrong - or is trying to mislead us as a Mafiosi attempting to get the crew to win the game for her.
    I would rather lynch at random than not lynch. Then at least we have a chance at winning by luck. But if we only move when we are sure, then we will definitely lose. You can never be sure in this game.
    This is another attempt to convince us to lynch at random, which only benefits the Mafiosi. We need to lynch carefully and lynch those we believe to be Mafiosi when we are sure to improve our odds. Lynching at random only helps the Mafia."

Vote - Lynch the Honourable Miss Alton
  • AmyAmy Shipmate
    Rather unsurprisingly, Vote Fletcher
  • Before I decide, I'd like to hear more from Fletcher - both in terms of why he has been so dogged in his nomination of Miss Alton, and also with regards to his response to he himself being nominated, and the reasoning others have given for that.
  • [Out of character] - if you want to attract @Fletcher Christian you need to flag him, but today is Maundy Thursday and I suspect that anyone who has any role at all in the liturgical churches has been busy / is going to be busy. I am not sure all the participants are going to be able to do much for the next few days[/ooc].
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited March 2018
    I agree with Miss Alton - no lynching will only help the guilty.

Therefore ...

I vote - The Honourable Miss Alton.
  • I shall be brief. I have a hunch,
    I vote:
    Lynch Miss Alton
  • So, we have 2 characters who have been consistent in their intentions for a lynching to occur

Miss Alton has accused / voted for different people, including missing a vote after nomination - and appears to be of the opinion that if we at least lynch somebody, then we will eventually hit the right target - is she misguided with her scattergun approach, or is she thinking how she can get us to do her bidding and bump off various people, she doesn't care who, as long as it's not her buddy?

Fletcher has always suggested Miss Amy, based on "a hunch", potentially triggered by the voting intentions of Miss Amy. Maybe the hunch is something stronger, but was it there on the first day, from something she said ? has it been confirmed by other methods since ?
    Or has Fletcher known from day 1 that Miss Alton is innocent, talkative and able to shape opinions, therefore keen to get rid of her in an underhand way rather than an obvious direct attack ?

I'm still struggling to determine which of the 2 people is more dangerous to the rest of us