Yom Kippur

Here in this hemisphere, we are not far off from the end of Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement. Among the too-many-to-enumerate blessings which we Christians have received from our older sisters and brothers of the Covenant, is that we are forgiven.
It's the nature of this medium that I haven't the foggiest what's going on in the minds and hearts and history of fellow Shipmates, but whatever, you are forgiven. Thanks be to G_d.

Comments

• It occurs to me, that although Yom Kippur as a religious observance fits in Eccles, the assurance of forgiveness might be more of an All Saints thing. So Mods, do your bit if you think appropriate, and move it. Because duplication prob makes the baby Jesus cry.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    [hosting]

due consideration is being given to this matter in arcane realms. This thought thing though may require more coffee.

[/hosting]
  • Due consideration is that it's better in AS.
  • Well, it's good to be forgiven (and to be forgiving towards others), but I must be a Very Bad Person indeed, as I'm never really conscious of being particularly sinful.

At the beginning of Sunday Mass, FatherInCharge usually invites us to join in with the Confession by saying something like 'Now, call to mind one or two of your own sins, for which you want to say 'Sorry' to God'...as though we have a really long mental list of our sins, wickednesses, shortcomings, peccadilloes etc. etc., but to the whole of which God really doesn't have the time to listen.
    :worried:

• Don't even ask about Israel - synagogues built for 2000 packed with 4000 and not a mask in sight was just the beginning.
    https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.highlight.MAGAZINE-in-ultra-orthodox-jerusalem-yom-kippur-stronger-than-virus-1.9193329
  • Well, let's hope their faith triumphs over science...
    :fearful:
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    The Sephardic (Mizrachi, non-Ashkenazi) "Pope" has just (8pm ours) asked people to stay at home or at most pray in fresh air outside and not to pass the Torah from one to another, dance close together or kiss it (all traditional liturgical acts for this season of the Jewish year)
  • Asking for your sins to be forgiven is the easy bit. For many, the difficult bit is forgiving others
  • Indeed, the prickly bit of the Lord's Prayer is that we don't actually ask Our Father to just forgive us our trespasses. Rather, we affirmatively ask Him to only forgive our trespasses "as we forgive those who trespass against us."
  • Telford wrote: »
    Asking for your sins to be forgiven is the easy bit. For many, the difficult bit is forgiving others

This.

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host
    Telford wrote: »
    Asking for your sins to be forgiven is the easy bit. For many, the difficult bit is forgiving others

This.
    Ahh-men.