Chess Cheating

Noticed this article about widespread tournament chess cheating using computers.

I, the then-teenaged @TurquoiseTastic , predicted this in 1990 at a Q&A session at the British Chess Championship. They all LAUGHED at me except GM David Norwood who said it was a good question. He will be permitted to live when the TurquoiseTastic dictatorial regime comes in.

Have computers ruined competitive chess / chess in general or is there life in the old game yet? Is there any way of solving this problem?

Comments

• Is a live chess match subject to such cheating?
  • I would get no satisfaction out of cheating to win a game
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Is a live chess match subject to such cheating?

Sometimes yes. The "basic" method is - go to the toilet where you have a smartphone with which you can cheat. The "advanced" method would be to have a hidden earpiece or other communication device secreted about your person at the board - I don't know how widespread this is though.

I would get no satisfaction either @Telford but some people obviously seem to. And it's extremely demotivating for a non-cheat to know or suspect that your opponent is cheating.

It's pretty depressing to have on the one hand the grandmaster namesake of a former World Champion and on the other hand primary school children doing this.
  • It's pretty depressing to have on the one hand the grandmaster namesake of a former World Champion and on the other hand primary school children doing this.
    I'm sorry to say I haven't been keeping up with the news. Who is the grandmaster in question and when/where was he caught doing what, exactly?

And congratulations on your prescience, all those years ago!

• The article describes Armenian grandmaster Tigran Petrosian (no relation of - but probably named after - Armenian World Chess Champion of the 1960s Tigran Petrosian), cheating in an online match against the USA. When confronted with the evidence he responded: "You are the biggest loser!... You was doing pipi in your pampers!... You are like a girl crying after I beat you!". So we can see that this kind of on-line style is not the sole preserve of the US President.
  • Ha ha ha @ "pipi in your Pampers!"
  • NazianzusNazianzus Shipmate Posts: 16
    Is there a general chess thread here? This is the only one I can find. I'm guessing there must be other chess players here on the ship.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I play chess. My screen name is the Goddess of Chess.