Sock Hop

What album instantly brings you back to your early 20s? Maybe stop everything and listen to it now.

For me, there would be many albums I would have to pull down to listen to. Simon and Garfunkel, Carole King, Neil Diamond, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Smother's Brothers, Santana and much, much more.

What would take you back to your 20s?

Comments

• Bryan Adams' Reckless and Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA.
  • The Beatles - I didn't actually like their music that much being more of a Blues fan but whenever I hear the songs (even after 50 years) I realise I know all the words.
  • I never actually owned one of their albums, but anything by Nirvana.

• Joy Division: ‘Unknown Pleasures’ (came late to that) and ‘Closer’.

The Smiths: eponymous debut album.

Some Sisters of Mercy early singles.

And many, many post-punk bands that never made it...

...Good Lord, how sensible and sedate I am these days, in comparison!

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    Weird Al Yankovic. I didn't have a TV in college so I always waited for the Dr, Demento Show (radio). Weird Al changed me for life. :smiley:
  • ELO Last train to London - memories of college
    Supertramp - Bloody well right.
    Can’t remember the titles of the albums off hand!
  • Oddly, Holst's The Planets, which was my standard essay writing accompaniment.

The Doors, which Mr Dragon introduced me to.
  • Lyda wrote: »
    Weird Al Yankovic. I didn't have a TV in college so I always waited for the Dr, Demento Show (radio). Weird Al changed me for life. :smiley:

Used to listen to Dr. Demento and Weird Al late at night on a clear-channel station out of San Fransisco.
  • The Average White Band Pick up the pieces; 10 CC I'm not in love; Chris de Burgh's Spanish Train & Other Stories; Queen A Night at the Opera. Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street was pure joy ...

Janet Baker singing Britten's Phaedra at Aldeburgh in (I think) 1976. Shostakovich's Sonata for Viola and Piano, his last work, was a stunning new piece.
  • Joni Mitchell’s Blue
  • Songs from the Big Chair
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Lyda wrote: »
    Used to listen to Dr. Demento and Weird Al late at night on a clear-channel station out of San Fransisco.
    Weird Al went to college in the town I grew up in and was a disc jockey at the college radio station when I was in high school. I didn't listen, but I knew people at school who talked about his show. I couldn't believe it when he made it big.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    He definitely found a little used niche. And still going strong! I've got to watch "White and Nerdy" about once a month.
  • cgichardcgichard Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    The sweetest girl I ever saw, was sipping soda through a straw in Katzenellenbogan by the sea, early-ish 50s;

Rock around the clock in the Senior Common Room (when we weren't laughing at the Goon Show) in the late 50s;

Joan Baez How the winds are laughing early 60s;

Cream She's a witch of trouble in electric blue (Strange Brew) in the mid 60s . . .
  • GnR - Appetite for Destruction
    Quireboys - A Little Bit of what you Fancy
    Deep Purple - In Rock, Machine Head, Who do we think we are? (much older but I played them a lot then)
    Gong - anything in the Zero the Hero, Angel's Egg, Pot Head Pixie era
    Frank Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Queen - Greatest Hits

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture and Morality

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Genesis - Duke
  • The Eagles - Hotel California
    Joan Armatrading - Back to the Night
    Neil Young
    Joni Mitchell
    Rolling Stones
    Björk
  • Any album by The Police.
    The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree by U2.
    Echo & The Bunnymen..."Songs To Learn and Sing"? Was that the title?
    Siouxsie & The Banshees.
    Love and Rockets.
    New Model Army.
    Stiff Little Fingers.
    The Sugarcubes. "Motorcrash" is still hilarious to me, as is "Deus". The loony lyrics!
  • Tubular Bells Mike Oldfield (sigh .....)

• My early 20s?

“Rock Lobster”—The B-52’s
    “Our House”—Madness
    “Safety Dance”—Men Without Hats
    “Don’t You Want Me”—The Human League
    “Africa”—Toto
    “Freeze Frame” and “Centerfold”—The J. Geils Band
    “Burning Down the House,” or pretty much anything else by The Talking Heads
    Anything by Earth, Wind & Fire
    Anything by R.E.M., though some of their music stretches to my late 20s.

But no song can work the time machine magic on me like “Dust in the Wind” by Kansas. I hear that and I’m 16 again, driving (thanks to my new driver’s license) with the window rolled down and the wind in my hair.

Kansas’s “Carry on Wayward Son”* comes a close second, with “More than a Feeling” and “Don’t Look Back” by Boston close behind.

* One of my proudest moments as a father came when my son was around 13 or 14. I’d gone up to his room to talk him about something. As I left, I said “Alright. Well, carry on, my wayward son.” I got to the top of the stairs, turned around and went back to the door to his room. “Did you get that?,” I asked. He looked at me like I was the stupidest man he’d ever met, and said “Kansas. Duh!” I smiled the rest of the night.

• REM and Nirvana.
    But I prefer my mid-late 20s, when I lived in London and had more access to gigs and festivals, things like Catatonia and Pulp.
  • Funny (not at the time, though!) memory of seeing Echo & The Bunnymen at D.A.R. Constitution Hall in D.C., probably around 1987. My gay best friend and I were nerds, just coming out of the closet and we were dressed as though we were attending a country music concert. I had long flowing hair and just looked completely out of place amongst the goths and punks. My gay buddy was not fashion forward, either. Anyway, at some point during the show, this young girl, sitting behind me with a green mohawk yells into my ear, "I don't like you! You're stupid and so is your fat-ass friend!" I didn't know how to reply so I just ignored her. Somehow, without me being aware of it, she chewed up a vast quantity of bubblegum and methodically wound it into my hair. I didn't discover it until my friend and I were walking to his car. I had no peanutbutter at home and it was too late to go to a grocery store. So...off came all my long locks and I sported a spikey, punk hairdo at work the next day. Don't mess with angry goths, I guess.
  • Here is another idea.

Tired of Christmas Songs already?

Tell your smart speaker to play the Billboard 100 list of the songs that were popular the year you graduated from your secondary education.

Name five of the songs and see if others can guess when you graduated. (no googling)

I'll go first.

To Sir With Love

Higher and Higher

Windy

There's Kind of a Hush

Groovin
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    I didn’t like most of the top 100 when I graduated from high school. I don’t think I could handle all the disco now.

Besides, I don’t have a smart speaker. (And I don’t want one.)

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Here is another idea.

Tell your smart speaker to play the Billboard 100 list of the songs that were popular the year you graduated from your secondary education.

Name five of the songs and see if others can guess when you graduated. (no googling)

I'll go first.

To Sir With Love

Higher and Higher

Windy

There's Kind of a Hush

Groovin

1963?
  • Doone wrote: »
    Here is another idea.

I'll go first.

To Sir With Love

Higher and Higher

Windy

There's Kind of a Hush

Groovin

1963?

Nope
  • 1963 is too early for Sunshine Pop, I think. I'll say 1967 for Gramps49's graduation.
  • The Boxer, Volunteers, I-feel-like-I'm-fixin-to-die Rag, Get back( The Ballad of John and Yoko), Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    @Sojourner

Was putting The Ballad Of John And Yoko in parentheses after Get Back meant to indicate that they are the same song? Because they are not.
  • You sure about that? I had the 45 and am damn sure it’s the same
  • Jojo was a man who thought he was standing on the dock at Southhampton
    Trying to get to Holland or Tucson, Arizona
    The man in the mac said you gotta get back, get back
    They didn't even give us a chance to get back to where we once belonged.
  • Didn’t realise your age, MT😜
  • Sojourner wrote: »
    You sure about that? I had the 45 and am damn sure it’s the same

YouTube would disagree with your 45.
    You sure about that? I had the 45 and am damn sure it’s the same

No. Not the same song.

Get Back is a Lennon & McCartney song (with Billy Preston on keyboards) released in April 1969 on the Let it Be album and as a single; the "get back" bit is a reference to anti-immigrant feeling un the UK.

The Ballad of John and Yoko was a stand-alone single and is all about the ruckus about Lennon and Ono's wedding and subsequent bed-in.
  • @mousethief love the combining of the two sets of lyrics.

• @mousethief love the combining of the two sets of lyrics.

Seconded.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    And it should be pointed out that none of the immigration-related lyrics from the working version of Get Back made it into the actual song.

(Though admittedly, it is difficult to say exactly what those lyrics ARE about. I gather Jojo was a bit out of his depth among the California tokers and thus needed to get back to Tuscon, but what was up with Sweet Loretta Martin? It seems she had gender-identity issues, and her friends were all convinced she was gonna get laid pretty soon, but for some reason were simultaneously pessimistic about that prospect.)
    Random selection from the UK Top 40 the week I left school:

Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
    Call Me - Blondie
    Talk of the Town - The Pretenders
    My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones
    Turn It On Again - Genesis
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    My 16th birthday was the day of the original Live Aid so anything from that would bring back memories for me.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Random selection from the UK Top 40 the week I left school:

Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
    Call Me - Blondie
    Talk of the Town - The Pretenders
    My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones
    Turn It On Again - Genesis

You graduated in 1982?
    Nope. :)
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Nope. :)
    Right. When I saw Dexy's Midnight Runners, the listed song registered in my mind as Come On Eileen, which I was pretty sure was '82. But of course Call Me was used in American Grafitti, which dates to a slightly different era.
    Didn’t realise your age, MT😜

A ten year old could buy "Past Masters II" and work it out.
  • My 16th birthday was the day of the original Live Aid so anything from that would bring back memories for me.

I watched a bit of that on TV. I think my only two clear memories are...

Madonna, with her old nudes recently published by Penthouse, jokingly saying to the crowd "I ain't takin' shit off today!"

Mick Jagger yelling "Where's Tina?" as an intro to his duet with Tina Turner.

Oddly, despite being a big Queen fan, I don't think I knew about their big set until that Freddie Mercury biopic came out a couple of years back.
  • This is from adolescence, rather than my 20s. But Elton John's "Crocodile Rock". (The music, the line dance, and his wonderful costumes back then.)
  • Another fan of Dr. Demento here, especially during the years when Jungle Judy was his sidekick. Dr. D helped get me through high school.
  • SandemaniacSandemaniac Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    It's not even a song I was hugely fond of,. but All Saints' Never Ever takes me right back to summer of 1997, because it was all over the radio like a rash.

Suffice to say that 1997 was a significant summer for me.
  • The5thMary wrote: »
    New Model Army.

Wow, that's a surprise pick from the US. But maybe not - - the land of gold and poison, that beckons to us all.
  • Things that take me back are things which were on heavy rotation on the radio, which I hated and never had in my collections of records and tapes (not CDs - they cost a fortune! :smile: ), and so never listened to after the time they were on the radio.

Things like this, for instance. I'm so, so sorry.