AS: 2021 The Untied Kingdom? - the British thread 2021

1145146147148149151»

Comments

• I expect they've all been packed off back to Horrid Foreign People Not Like Us Land.
    :angry:

One of our local Polskie Sklepy (Polish shops) used to sell quite a lot of food from the Baltic states - I might check them out next week, if I live...
  • Nenya wrote: »

During the course of some of my Christmas reading I was reminded of the tradition of First Foot and how my mum (who was very superstitious about certain things) used to make my eldest brother (the only dark-haired person in the family) wait outside the front door until after the last stroke of midnight. I think some years (when we used to have an open fire) he had to bring in a lump of coal as well.

A tall, dark, handsome man bearing coals and a measure of the water of life is the most lucky first foot.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    I’ve just googled Lithuanian Tree cake - they are enormous!

Every day is a school day!
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    We're just back from the local panto that we had to postpone from Monday and it was great. Just a small cast and no bored minor celebrities going through the motions, just actors I've never heard of really chucking their all at it. Nice sets, costumes and special effects too. As it was the last show of the run they ended with Auld Lang Syne, which felt really special and a good way to (nearly) end 2021
    Now the prosecco is in the freezer, the chianti is open and pasta and pesto is on the menu, well it is Friday. If there is any room they'll also be Christmas pud.
  • :wink:

Both L and I had tastes for rather more savoury dishes, I think...she made better meat dumplings than the Russians (pierogi in Polish, which was her first language - the family lived in Vilnius, which has been Polish at various times).

She was fluent in Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, German, and English - but I could manage a little French to add to the mix...

Could you tone it down, please, this is a Christian forum.
  • :lol:

Forgive an Old Man his memories of some *ahem* years ago...
    :wink:
  • HelixHelix Heaven Host

Both L and I had tastes for rather more savoury dishes, I think...she made better meat dumplings than the Russians (pierogi in Polish, which was her first language - the family lived in Vilnius, which has been Polish at various times).

I love Pierogi - it is in the chilled cabinet of my local Sainz Breeze.
  • Ha! My lunch tomorrow, as I bought a pack today!

I have a nice bottle of Polish BEER to go with them...
    :yum:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    It's going to be a very quiet Hogmanay chez Piglet - although I've just had a nice chat with David's b-i-l in Kent and am expecting a Facebook Messenger chat with my friend Joanne in Canada in an hour or so.

It doesn't come naturally to a gregarious Orcadian to be on her own at New Year, but with plagues and suchlike to contend with, I haven't much choice.

I do, however, have a glass of WINE and a tray of Tessie's finest smoked salmon nibbles beside me, so All Is Not Lost.
    On a different tack altogether, does anyone fancy thinking up a suitably witty title for next year's thread?

Happy New Year everyone, when the time comes!

edited December 2021
    This year’s can’t be beaten - sorry @Piglet!

Happy New Year when the time comes - I’ll be tucked up in me bed and fast asleep. 🥂
    Aw, shucks! :blush:
  • Today, I discovered through observation that Brussel sprouts grow in a spiral!
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 2021
    Re thread title, I did think of *O Mi Cron - another Year!*, but then decided it was a bit obscure, and pessimistic...
    :grimace:
    edited December 2021
    Things can only get better?. But then I’ve always been an optimist.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    It would be nice not to have a coronavirus reference in it, I think. :hushed:

How about: "Turned Out Nice Again - The British Thread 2022"?

Don't wait for me to start it though... Mr Nen and I are not planning to wait up to see the new year in. :wink: We're about to crack the bubbly now. Cheers and happy new year. See you on the other side. :smiley:
  • Nenya wrote: »

Don't wait for me to start it though... Mr Nen and I are not planning to wait up to see the new year in. :wink: We're about to crack the bubbly now. Cheers and happy new year. See you on the other side. :smiley:

Yes, I like it. Very optimistic...
    :wink:
  • I like the sound of an optimistic title.

Tea was nachos with spicy pork, as the veg man appears to have delivered some meat with a very short date (presumably bought in last week). This was followed by tree cake, which is like a very dense cake/waffle. Mr Heavenly has reminded me that I have seen a tree cake before as there was one at my niece’s wedding 2 years ago; her husband is Lithuanian (he is a builder and, consequently, answers to the adopted local name of Seamus).
    I like the sound of Turned out Nice Again - as others have said, just the right degree of optimism!

I had a lovely long natter with Joanne and have consumed many nibbles (and quite a lot of WINE). It may now be time for a cup of tea or coffee.

Not sure whether I'll make it to the bells or not!
  • HelixHelix Heaven Host
    Ha! My lunch tomorrow, as I bought a pack today!

I have a nice bottle of Polish BEER to go with them...
    :yum:

Brilliant - I'm on my way and will bring another bottle of Polish Beer. I have a Polish friend and always take Pierogi when I visit her. They are so strangely yum!
  • Our corner shop sells frozen pierogi too, I assume they are the Eastern European version of oriental dumplings we sometimes have with takeaways (Waitrose sell frozen Itsu ones). I think they are originally Chinese in origin.
  • "Land of Hope and... err..." for next year's thread? (Sorry) "It's the End of the World as we Know It" might apply to anywhere!

As 2022 is Her Gracious Britannic Majesty's Platinum Jubilee Year, perhaps something suitably commemorative? "Notes from the Jubilee (not the one in Leviticus, obvs)"?
  • It's also when the EU changes fully kick in, so something about Britain, Cut Adrift and Floating Aimlessly?

I've stayed up with a jigsaw, initially with the offspring before she headed off to play RPGS on Discord with friends. Knowing that the current fusillade would start around midnight, there was no point going to bed and sleep as I would inevitably be woken up now.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited January 1
    Nenya wrote: »

I like this, it’s very British and cheery; I even read it/hear it in George Formby’s voice (my particular talent for reading in associated voices). I appreciate the optimism as I already have depression and don’t need reminding of the darkness.
  • Hootenanny ! *hic*
  • PendragonPendragon Shipmate
    Not all the Dragonlets were asleep at the point when the local barrage of fireworks started. :disappointed: We had cheese this evening, and drank a gin barrel aged sour beer. It had a champagne cork. I found it quite nice, but sours are more my thing than Mr Dragon's.

"Turned out nice again" has the great merit of being both optimistic and sarcastic by turns.

• Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Pendragon wrote: »
    [...] "Turned out nice again" has the great merit of being both optimistic and sarcastic by turns.

I concur. With that, we'll conquer the New Year.
    edited January 1
    I like the sound of Turned out Nice Again - as others have said, just the right degree of optimism!

Yes, and a nod to the usual subject - weather!
    Knowing that the current fusillade would start around midnight, there was no point going to bed and sleep as I would inevitably be woken up now.

You were right! I slept from 9pm to midnight but the noise was deafening for half an hour after that. I’m glad to say we got back to sleep.

We are at the airport now with coffees and croissants. 🙂
    Safe travels @Boogie.
    We all went to bed at 10.30 but I couldn’t sleep despite feeling tired so got up just before midnight and caught the site of fireworks going off across our town. It’s very flat so I could see loads. I also guess it was very noisy. I didn’t have my hearing aids in, but I could hear a few very loud bangs.
  • We’re up early today and packing my eldest’s bags to take him back to uni. Husband has also started to gather his clothing as he is off to the US tomorrow for a tech show. It’s going to be very quiet round here for a week or so, with just me and Master Heavenly the Younger.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    We were in bed before midnight, woke to hear the fireworks and wish each other a Happy New Year and went back to sleep. We're up early as Mr Nen is off for a walk with friends: a long walk involving, I believe, a mountain. I have the house to myself for several hours. :smiley:

Safe travels @Boogie .

I'm off to start the 2022 thread. :smiley:
    And with that, I'll close this one.

Goodbye, 2021 - don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Thread closed.

Piglet, AS host
This discussion has been closed.