AS: 2021 The Untied Kingdom? - the British thread 2021

Comments

• I broke my record in the swimming pool this morning - 1100m (though small beer by many folk's standards, I'm sure). I'm now finding it hard getting "stuck in" to work.

(Yes, I was wearing my trunks).
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    We've taken up swimming again @Baptist Trainfan . Where we lived before I was five minutes from a pool and tried to go once a week and do 1km. They closed the pool in October 2019, followed a couple of months later by the rest of the centre and I never got it together to go to the next nearest place. Then lockdown happened. I'm now taking it up again and one of my aims for this week is to actually join the local leisure centre to encourage me to go at least weekly. On Saturday I only managed about 600metres and was very slow. It was partly that my goggles took ages to get right, partly the guy who kept on overtaking me and then slowing down so I had to slow down too not to collide with him, but mainly that I need to get my mojo back.
  • I am very slow (and don't wear goggles)! Our nearest pool, which had similar issues with overtaking, closed; the one I use now has three defined sections for 'fast', 'medium' and 'slow' which mostly works quite well.
  • Well done, all of you, for taking such Exercise. I never liked swimming pools much, as the chlorine gave me headaches - do the indoor pools still have a kind of chlorinic miasma about them?
    Just back from my Optical Adventure.

The Good News is that my eyes are OK, and I don't really need new specs (although my left eye has deteriorated very slightly since the last test some 10 years ago!). The optometrist says the floaters are nothing to worry about, but she has booked me in for a further test (with dilation) on Thursday, just to make 100% sure.

The Not-so-good News is that I have the beginnings of cataracts on both eyes, but they are unlikely to be of any real concern for several years yet (if I live).
    😎
  • The Not-so-good News is that I have the beginnings of cataracts on both eyes, but they are unlikely to be of any real concern for several years yet (if I live).
    😎

I doubt they will be of much concern should you not live either.
    I've had cataract surgery on both eyes and it was all very straight forward and made a huge difference. Glad it looks like there is no concern with the floaters.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Thanks! I have, however, sensibly booked a Taxi for Thursday's Expotition.

My Old Mum had cataract surgery about 40 years ago (!), and, although she was a bit nervous about the first op, reckoned that the second (a year or so later) was easy-peasy. By then, of course, she knew what to expect.

Both ops were entirely successful, and she had no more eye trouble for the rest of her life (she died in 2004).
    The Not-so-good News is that I have the beginnings of cataracts on both eyes, but they are unlikely to be of any real concern for several years yet (if I live).
    😎

I doubt they will be of much concern should you not live either.

:lol:

They might, though, as I intend to donate such parts of my Person as may be of some use to others still in the land of the living, and I'd prefer it if those parts were in reasonable condition.

I'm on the Donations Register, or whatever it's called, and have a little card in my pocket to confirm the same, should I be knocked down by a Bus.
    :fearful:
  • Clearly you don't live in a Bastion Of Rurality, where the chances of such an accident would be infinitesimal (unless you stood in the middle of the road at precisely 9.52 and 12.39 on a Tuesday during school term-time).
  • Come to think of it, I'd have to wait a good half-hour or more in our village, even if I could get up to the top of the hill where the Buses are.
  • Here it's much simpler - call ahead and the bus will come and meet you (eventually), though the chances of getting knocked down by it are somewhat reduced now Angus is no longer driving (and having to reverse).
  • I take it that people still make sure they're wearing clean Underpants, as warned by their mothers, just in case they do get knocked down...
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Cathscats wrote: »
    Firenze wrote: »
    I have a bottle of vintage Beaujolais Nouveau which is crying out for something to go with it...
    :wink:

Not too vintage I hope. I was at a party where the host proudly produced a 10 year old bottle - by this time vieux rather than nouveau. It tasted like brick dust.

Hake tonight, in a manner to be determined. I don't have the makings of a salsa verde, though I do of a mojo picon. Or with orzo and cider. Or sherry and potatoes (though that really needs chorizo).

Another memory, sadly distant... Does Henderson's on Hanover Street still have their annual Beaujolais Nouveau bash? I think we only made it there once, what with small children and having to dash back over from Fife for it. It was still pretty good even when it wasn't quite so nouveau.

@Stercus Tauri Henderson’s closed down a couple of years ago or so. Though I believe I read that a grandson of the original Henderson is reopening.

Heh. I was thinking of a different Henderson's, but that's on Hanover Way, not Hanover Street.

In Sheffield.

https://www.hendersonsrelish.com/
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    kingsfold wrote: »
    [*] there aren't actually enough charge points at the SECC/Gleneagles (can't remember which) to actually support this...

I read somewhere (but don't know if it's true) that they are bringing in diesel generators specially to charge the electric cars
  • ArethosemyfeetArethosemyfeet Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Darda wrote: »
    kingsfold wrote: »
    [*] there aren't actually enough charge points at the SECC/Gleneagles (can't remember which) to actually support this...

I read somewhere (but don't know if it's true) that they are bringing in diesel generators specially to charge the electric cars

Even if true it's not necessarily less energy efficient than running the cars straight off diesel (generators running at constant revs for an extended period likely better than stop-start of driving) but the optics would indeed be terrible.
    EDIT: the Hootsman is reporting that the generators, if needed, will be powered by used cooking oil.
  • Shame! Let them eat organically-produced salad!
  • Shame! Let them eat organically-produced salad!

The Hootsman is silent on the quantity of chips and other traditional Glasgow (i.e. battered and deep fried) cuisine the delegations will be required to eat in order to keep the fleet moving.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Bright autumnal day with the trees fairly on the turn. We had the opportunity to see a lot of them en route to Mr F's dentist, the road runs for a stretch between a wooded hillside and a golf course, so you seem almost to be in the countryside not a city. The practice itself is in a village enclave in a steep-sided valley running down to the Water of Leith, also very picturesque.

And this evening - finally - my bulb order arrived. Unfortunately the forecast is for rain the rest of the week.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ... My Old Mum had cataract surgery about 40 years ago (!) ...
    My first cataract op was even longer ago than that (1979 - when I was 17), and apart from the fact that they made me stay in bed for three days afterwards, was no bother at all. I had the second one done about 20 years later (complicated story), and it was even less trouble.
    Today has been what my mum would have called a scunner. The train, which left more-or-less on time, was late in reaching Waverley, causing me to arrive at the bus stop just as the bus was leaving - naughty words were deployed. Then when I got home, there was an envelope awaiting me from the Canadian criminal-records people returning my unprocessed fingerprints and informing me I should have sent it to Ottawa and not Fredericton - see TICTH.

At least the second half of the lamb-shank was rather nice.
    In completely unrelated news, I've won yet another tenner in the People's Postcode Lottery; that'll pay my November subscription, and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that one of my nephews works for them ... :mrgreen:

And my income tax rebate has come through, and was about twice what I was expecting.

Not a grumpy piglet any more! :smiley:
  • I am very slow (and don't wear goggles)! Our nearest pool, which had similar issues with overtaking, closed; [...]
    Was this the reason they closed?

I'll get my towel.
    [...] the one I use now has three defined sections for 'fast', 'medium' and 'slow' which mostly works quite well.

Ah! Now that seems very sensible indeed! - Strangely, I have never encountered anything of that clever sort in any of the pools I know. But then, I do not know too many really. It sounds great! :smile:
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Piglet wrote: »
    [...] At least the second half of the lamb-shank was rather nice.
    The Lamb Shank Redemption! (Forgive me, sister, for I have punned... again!)

• Wesley J wrote: »
    I am very slow (and don't wear goggles)! Our nearest pool, which had similar issues with overtaking, closed; [...]
    No; basically it was costing too much to run. Then it became a Mass Vaccination Centre. However plans for a rebuild and new management are well in train - though we'll have to wait till 2023 for it to re-open.

• Wesley J wrote: »
    I am very slow (and don't wear goggles)! Our nearest pool, which had similar issues with overtaking, closed; [...]
    No; basically it was costing too much to run. Then it became a Mass Vaccination Centre. However plans for a rebuild and new management are well in train - though we'll have to wait till 2023 for it to re-open.

Oh, you'd mentioned that before, I seem to recall. My memory has been re-opened, ... but the management is still the same!
    Our pool has slow medium and fast lanes, but you self select so people are not always in the lane they should be.
    Great news in the money front @piglet. My husband got an unexpected tax rebate a few weeks ago. It’s paying for curtains in what we call the ‘granny lounge’ to make it a bit less old fashioned granny like and the start of our garden re-model.
  • Sarasa wrote: »
    Our pool has slow medium and fast lanes, but you self select so people are not always in the lane they should be.
    Indeed so.
  • NenyaNenya Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Glad to hear the news on the Episcopal Eyes @Bishops Finger and hope the appointment tomorrow brings good news too.

It's a damp grey day in Nenland, but surprisingly mild. We have not yet had our heating on, although I did spend yesterday evening under a blanket while watching TV. My usual Tuesday arrangements have been changed and I'm getting my head round what to do with my revised day.
  • I'm just wondering how you managed to actually see the TV picture if you were under a blanket ...

Here there is No Weather. It's a dull day, in every sense of the word.
  • Overcast and mild here too.

I've unpacked the meat and veg delivery, walked to Waitrose to complete the weekly shop and now I'm wading through the work emails. Work is light at present so I'm taking the opportunity to write tutorials for next month; today's is on inequality and a good death, as well as essay writing skills. On Thursday work will be busy again when around 40 assignments (personal reflections on studying death, dying and bereavement) will arrive in my inbox 😔
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Weather has also been cancelled here, which TBH is something of a relief - one can have just a tad too much Wind and Rain...

MEAT PUD and CHIPS for lunch, I think.
    :yum:
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    That sounds like an excellent lunch @Bishops Finger

Not much weather here either. I wonder where it went? 🤔
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Boogie wrote: »
    That sounds like an excellent lunch @Bishops Finger

Not much weather here either. I wonder where it went? 🤔

I think we got it.... cycling between looking OK, and horizontal rain! Would you like it back?
  • Umm...no thanks...
    :grimace:
    We've just been for a very nice long walk. Much of it was along a disused canal that is slowly being restored. As someone who spend a lot of their early life on the canals it was fascinating to see the derelict locks. We also passed a stately home that looks like it might be worth a visit for a day out.
  • NenyaNenya Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    I've had a friend over this afternoon and she is majorly diligent about having ventilation when mixing households in an enclosed space. Accordingly we had windows open in the dining room and lounge, with the doors between them wide open as well.

Now that she's gone we have, for the first time for months, put the heating on. At this stage of the game, according to Mr Nen, it is not that we actually have it on; we're simply testing it for when we might need it. This could go on for weeks. :lol:

In other news, I'm leading a discussion on a book on Friday evening and am trying to focus on preparing for that and keep getting distracted. It's a book I really liked when I read it before, so I'm pleased to be revisiting it, but somehow it currently seems urgent to get up to date with the washing and to clean all the window sills.
  • Nenya wrote: »
    At this stage of the game, according to Mr Nen, it is not that we actually have it on; we're simply testing it for when we might need it. This could go on for weeks.
    You'll probably know if it works, by April.

... Here there is No Weather. It's a dull day, in every sense of the word.
    It's a bit like that here too - for the moment anyway - and rather mild: 13° and rising.

I thought I would be late for w*rk again today; the train was a couple of minutes late leaving Linlithgow, and a couple later still arriving in Edinburgh, but mercifully the bus was running late as well, so I caught the right one.

I was chatting to the ticket lady at the station, and it looks like the COP26 strike is likely to go ahead; she said she'd much prefer if it didn't, and I agree.

The commuter gods were definitely with me today; I was fairly sure I'd miss my usual bus back from w*rk, but I just managed to catch it (and the right train too).

It can't possibly last ...

Supper chez Piglet was my first attempt at spaghetti carbonara, and while I think I'll probably do it again, it wasn't quite right: it was what my family would call "spootery", i.e. too much liquid. I think it was because I was trying to adapt a recipe for two to just one, but I didn't get the proportions right. Next time, I'll use more BACON, a little more pasta, and possibly one less egg (it would be really helpful if one could purchase half an egg). The flavour was OK though - better than a carbonara I had once in an Italian restaurant in Belfast, where even emptying half the contents of the salt cellar couldn't give it any flavour.

If in doubt, add garlic. :mrgreen:
    I was settling down to a lazy afternoon after out walk when the doorbell rang. It was our gardener with van load of plants. Husband and I spend half and hour moving pots to the garden while she sorted out which plants were for us and which were for her other clients. She left with us with strict instructions about watering them for the rest of the week, until she comes back to plant them out. I think it'll look good when it's done.
  • You can’t go wrong with more bacon, IMO, likewise the adding of garlic.

The gardening sounds fun, Sarasa; we got a local garden to re-do part of ours about 2 years ago and it was an amazing transformation.
  • If you use garlic powder it has the advantage of soaking up some moisture too. Just don't inhale while adding it.
    edited October 2021
    I've never really used garlic powder; I go through enough of it to make it worthwhile to have fresh. Anyway, you'd lose the pleasure of splatting it with the flat of a knife ... :mrgreen:
    I'm v. grumpy this morning - the 7:14 is 10 minutes late, and so shall I be. :rage:

Now on the 7:19 (which is slower, but at least it's going) - I don't understand why it's on time but the 7:14 was "subject to speed restrictions because of heavy rain" - don't they both come from the same direction? :confused:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I've never really used garlic powder; I go through enough of it to make it worthwhile to have fresh. Anyway, you'd lose the pleasure of splatting it with the flat of a knife ... :mrgreen:
    I'm v. grumpy this morning - the 7:14 is 10 minutes late, and so shall I be. :rage:

Now on the 7:19 (which is slower, but at least it's going) - I don't understand why it's on time but the 7:14 was "subject to speed restrictions because of heavy rain" - don't they both come from the same direction? :confused:

I think you might have answered your own question there. :p
  • Heavy rain for the 7:14 was clearly to the wrong kind of rain. :(
    Difficulty sleeping last night because of a sore neck and shoulder - RSI I think from too much knitting. So I shall take advantage of what looks to be a dryish morning to dig the garden and plant tulips. Which should at least get me different aches and pains.
  • I have collected my first "surprise" vegetable box today: I think I'm going to be trying out new recipes, and eating more salads this week! In it we have: about 10 large leaves and stalks of blette (I think that's chard), three small lettuces (one variety I've never seen in this form, but by its leaves I think it may be rocket), 5 black radishes, a bag (1kg?) of carrots, half a spaghetti squash (with recipe), and there are tomatoes (don't know how many...he forgot to give them to me & will deliver them later)

I can't decide if it's good value - I suspect not, costing 15€ but I think I will continue as it supports a local business, is very fresh and is organic.

I've had to resort to recipes online and tonight we're having salmon with roast black radish risorro. Any other ideas about black radishes - the recipe only uses 2!
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    I use fresh garlic and powder for different purposes.

I've tried vegetable boxes in the past but they've proven (a) not much good, and (b) unspeakably expensive for what you get. I think the lowest point was the supposed chillis that actually appeared to contain no capsaicin whatsoever. They tended to bulk them out with a few potatoes - enough to avoid having to put too much more expensive veg in but not enough to actually be useful.
  • The problem with comparing veg boxes to supermarket shopping is that I don't compare like with like - I compare cheap veg with organic veg and forget that we get it delivered, so there's a delivery charge included. Or that if I was budgeting at the supermarket I wouldn't buy the more interesting veg. We tend to have a box without potatoes, as a weekly family box delivery with potatoes gives plenty of vegetables for two, but far too many potatoes.

The thing I do think are expensive are their meal boxes. But I usually have half the ingredients in, so look with disfavour on little plastic pots of this and that, that I restock as I go along.

I've had the other problem this year with padron peppers, where every one of the bag was hot - and mixing too many into a nasi goreng to finish them up, instead of chillies made it too hot for my daughter and me to eat, and I use chilli a lot, have sriracha, chilli powder, two types of flakes and harissa for cooking. I had been treating them like green chillies until then.

I get and eat chard a lot - the trick there is to treat the stalks and leaves as two different vegetables. Black radishes I've never seen and my recipe books don't expect me to know them either.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I don't understand why it's on time but the 7:14 was "subject to speed restrictions because of heavy rain" - don't they both come from the same direction? :confused:
    No. One comes from Glasgow via Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston, the other via Main Line and Falkirk High. But what will amuse (?) is that the 7.14 was terminated short at Haymarket "due to temporary speed restrictions as a result of heat"!!!! Clearly COP26 is already having an effect.

Definitely just as well I got the 7:19 then!

The effects of COP26 are going to be even worse - there won't be any trains at all.
  • The veg box I get is definitely more expensive but it is organic, interesting and supports small businesses. If I just bought veg at waitrose we would live on mushrooms, spinach and peppers, with less regard as to their source. The box I usually have has either potatoes or onions each week so it doesn't bulk with staples, though I vary my boxes and anything extra each week anyway. A meat and veg delivery is very expensive but it does mean I go to waitrose less so don't buy as many impulse buys there.
    The meal boxes are good for ideas but are far too expensive for regular ordering - I haven't had one for several years.
    I like the padron peppers and I was surprised to see a huge bag of chillis in last week's box. I'm not a fan of chard though, I find it too 'earthy'.

A good productive morning of emails, forums and chatting to students on the phone. This afternoon there is another tutorial to write, this one I present alone to my tutor group so it is nice and straightforward; it's about working in communities to support children and young people.
    Three hours gardening got in c 100 snowdrops and about 20 tulips (plus a lot of weeding and mulching. That leaves me with maybe a 100 to go... I may have over-ordered.
This discussion has been closed.