2021 The Plot Thickens: The Gardening Thread

12345679»

Comments

• To my house. Where they have eaten all our peaches, had a try at our watermelons, and scarfed whatever tomatoes, bell peppers, and other goodies made it through our dry summer. Amazingly enough, they seem to have left the bitter melon alone.
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    Someone just gave me an absolute shed load of runner beans. Now I need to find something to do with them...

I am not personally a fan of pickled things, but Delia's runner bean chutney is always highly recommended ime.
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    We only have one dessert apple and I’m not even sure what it is. We aren’t in the SE of England but our community orchard has local varieties for Cambridgeshire https://trumpingtonorchard.org/our-trees/ some of their list are very niche but perhaps there is a community orchard near your uni which might have suggestions? Alternatively, our local botanic gardens does apple tasting in the autumn so perhaps a local garden/garden centre might have similar.
    I’ve noticed the council has recently been planting apple trees on our council estate which is such a good idea and I’ve no idea why fruit trees aren’t more commonly used in residential areas.

That's a good idea re the garden centre. There is actually a garden centre next to the uni so I wonder if a tasting event could be set up with the Sustainability Society even if they don't have a public one.

I've seen cherry plum trees planted in residential areas quite a bit but I'm pretty sure they're not good to eat raw, like those sour wild cherries. I guess fruit that isn't picked is seen as causing problems in terms of mess.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Someone just gave me an absolute shed load of runner beans. Now I need to find something to do with them...

Oh dear, I AM sorry you've suffered in this way... :lol: It reminds me of National Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch Day.

I like runner beans but everyone I know lets them get too big before picking. When my dad grew them we used to pick them when they were just about finger length - tender and flavoursome as a vegetable and also eaten on their own, just with cheese sauce... mmmm...

I never cook courgettes/Zucchini and keep being offered them at the moment.
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    Nenya wrote: »

Oh dear, I AM sorry you've suffered in this way... :lol: It reminds me of National Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch Day.

I like runner beans but everyone I know lets them get too big before picking. When my dad grew them we used to pick them when they were just about finger length - tender and flavoursome as a vegetable and also eaten on their own, just with cheese sauce... mmmm...

Courgette/zucchini is good grated and added to bolognese sauce, chilli, curries etc - you can't detect them, they just melt into the sauce. Also good in courgette/zucchini cake rather like carrot cake, but I prefer to peel them first and avoid the green flecks in the cake. You can't taste anything different but I find green flecks offputting in cake!
  • I also sneak grated courgette in sauces as younger son won’t eat them. Grated courgette fritters are delicious and I sometimes make them in the waffle iron, much to my son’s horror. I like courgette raw in salads, especially if I get yellow ones (I grow both yellow and green).
  • We should have held back far more courgettes for chutney, it is very more-ish!
  • Pomona wrote: »
    I've seen cherry plum trees planted in residential areas quite a bit but I'm pretty sure they're not good to eat raw, like those sour wild cherries. I guess fruit that isn't picked is seen as causing problems in terms of mess.

From my youth - the only ones I know of round here are next to a busy road, so I'm not sampling those - cherry plums are fine to eat raw, just rather bland.
  • It was 92F yesterday and I watered the patio plants early and again in the evening. I have ferns on my screened-in porch that I water once a week and they do fine. I forgot them yesterday and nearly lost them. I am not sure the maidenhair is going to pull back to life but thankfully the others look okay after a good soak and rest inside today. I feel so bad that I just forgot them as I usually water the porch plants every Saturday.
  • The snails had the peas and the beans and the courgette, but I have a glut of small stubby cucumbers which they have grazed, a little, on the skin, but left me with at least a dozen, all ready to harvest at once, but too marked to give away.
    I am not a pickly sort of person. They won't freeze. It's past salad season. Help.
  • You can freeze them with a little water in ice cube trays, then pop them into your glass of water maybe with a sprig of mint. I do like them cut up with onions and a bit of vinegar and salt, not really pickles but sort of.
  • Local wildlife rehab center, zoo, or other place with turtles. Yum yum (the cucumbers, not the turtles)
  • john holdingjohn holding Ecclesiantics Host, Mystery Worshipper Host
    I have made cucumber pickles -- peel and seed, then cut into inch-long bits and cover with your favorite pickling liquid. Treat as you would any picklek vegetable.
  • What was it with snails at the peas this year? Our didn’t even make the pod stage
  • I did get two handfuls which got in a salad.
    Why can't they eat willowherb (imported by friend for pleasure of his mother), creeping jenny - my fault, vinca -my ex neighbour's fault?
    Or why can't the seeds merchants breed whatever the weeds have into the food plants?
  • Pomona wrote: »

I mostly don't eat raw fruit as I have some sort of raw fruit reaction but (yellow) cherry plums seem fine to me. I made 5 gallons of wine from a nearby 'public' tree this year and it does drop fruit on a piece of grass at the footpath entrance to a housing estate. They carpeted the grounbd and I picked up carrier bags of them. I made jam from them in the past too. That didn't happen this year as I was getting short of sugar and felt led to devote it to the wine.
  • Nenya wrote: »

They need to be watched and picked when they're they've grown to the right size, not ignored and only picked when you need the beans. As soon as they go lumpy or get more than about 20cm/8in long or wider than your thumb, pick 'em. I keep the big lumpy beans for drying and planting for next year.
  • After perusing a number of recipes, I have scrubbed, to remove any mucus, peeled where appropriate to remove snail chewing marks, sliced and put in a roasting tin with some butter, in the slow cook section of my cooker. I aim to run the water out and evaporate it, and put the remains into zip bags to freeze and make soup when needed.
  • And, hot, it can't be told from courgette.
  • Minus two portions eaten with sausage and mash, the dozenish remains fitted into one zip bag.