America! America! God shed his grace on thee! The 2021 USA Thread

Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
May I take the liberty of starting it?

Here in the Phoenix area, a strict no-burn order was in effect due to stagnant air -- no wind, temperature inversion. People were not supposed to light fireplaces or outdoor barbecues.

Of course, people ignored the order.

Result? Today there is a thick haze in the air and everything smells like soot. Still no wind.

Comments

• And let me guess—those who ignored the order are the ones complaining most loudly about the haze and smell.

Happy New Year all! Here’s to a much better year, from sea to shining sea!

• Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    We certainly had enough judgment last year. But a new congress, a new president, a new administration, new vaccines. Things are looking up.

However, I wish everyone everywhere will start waking up to better times--not just the USA.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Yea and amen to that, Gramps - happy new year to all my American chums!
  • I echo the sentiments of @Piglet - but what is this? Our American friends seem strangely silent, or absent from this thread!

Could it be that they are all immersed in solemn thanksgiving to God for the defeat of Trump, and solemn intercession for His blessing on the new President? The mere fact of Mr Biden's success is surely a sign of grace, and an opportunity later this month for the World to take a deep breath, and to wish him (and Ms Harris) well...
    edited January 2
    Like BF, I wish Mr. Biden and his government all the very best.

I thought (once it was too late, as usual) that a good title for this year's American thread might have been Biden our Time.

I'll fetch my own coat. :mrgreen:
  • By all means fetch your coat, but check inside a pocket for the virtual CHOCOLATE I've just put there as a reward for at least thinking of Biden Our Time...
    :wink:
    Thanks, BF! :mrgreen:
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Congress still has to ratify the Electoral College vote. They will meet on January 6 to do so. Enough Republicans have said that they will object to the vote that it may well be a very messy process. There is still a chance that the vote will be overturned. God help us!
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2
    Gold help you, indeed.
    :open_mouth:

And the rest of the World...
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I thought (once it was too late, as usual) that a good title for this year's American thread might have been Biden our Time.

I like that! Perhaps it could replace one of our many trump threads.

I do agree, Miss Amanda, that the situation could be messy, but I'm a bit more optimistic than you are about the final outcome. However, I won't rest easy until at least January 20.

Mind you, I'm very optimistic that things will turn out just fine. But we must not overlook the possibility that they won't.
    Is there a real, serious possibility that the results could be overturned and you get stuck with Mango Mussolini for another four years?

I know Mr. Biden didn't exactly get a landslide, but surely it wasn't close enough for them to change it?
  • Who knows what that malignant nest of fruitloops and nutjobs, the Republican Party, might do?
    :fearful:
    I don't think it will happen. For an electoral vote to be challenged, at least one Senator and one Representative must sign off on it. The challenge is then debated, and both the Senate and House of Representatives must vote to uphold the challenge.

It appears clear that enough Senators and Representatives have said that they will challenge votes, that some votes will indeed be challenged. However, with the House controlled by the Democrats, the chances that any challenge will be upheld are virtually zero.

It's all a show -- but a very messy show, and a very long drawn out show. In the end, a colossal waste of time and a prime illustration of the shameful depths to which the once-proud Republican Party has plummeted.
  • Lord have mercy.
  • Amen.
  • It certainly looks pretty bad right now from media video scenes. The best think would a very cold sleet come down and soak the protesters/terrorist people enough to make them want to go home and warm up.
  • Watching and praying
  • Well, it all points to even more serious unrest.

Trump will surely go down in history as the first president to behave and speak in such a way as to be guilty of sedition and treason.

Yes, quaint, old-fashioned words but there's no other way to describe his, and his son's, inflammatory statements other than being seditious and treacherous.

Surely there must be enough prima facie evidence for action to be taken now to close him and his Twitter feed down? The choice seems stark and simple: either he is doing this while in full control of his faculties, and therefore in the knowledge of the effect of his words - in other words he is bad; or he truly is unaware of the untruthfulness of his statements or of the effect they are almost bound to have - so mad. I think the best way for the US to live with itself after this would be to plump for him being mad.

There again, is there anyone in DC with the balls to get two shrinks from Walter Reed to certify him as being in the throes of an extreme psychotic episode and in need of treatment even against his will?

God help America.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Pray for America, everyone.
  • Nicole--

Sent you a PM.

And ditto re praying for America.
  • It certainly looks pretty bad right now from media video scenes. The best think would a very cold sleet come down and soak the protesters/terrorist people enough to make them want to go home and warm up.

...except a lot of them are in the Capitol building...
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    Pray for America, everyone.

I have been doing so since I first heard.

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    This is terrifying. And heartbreaking.
  • Never was an old prayer more relevant.
    Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage: We humbly beseech thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of thy favor and glad to do thy will. Bless our land with honorable industry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people the multitudes brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endue with the spirit of wisdom those to whom in thy Name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to thy law, we may show forth thy praise among the nations of the earth. In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in thee to fail; all which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
    Yea and amen.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited January 6
    I’m not at all sure about him giving this land to anybody but the Indians, but appreciate the other sentiments.
    Maricopa County, Arizona, will enter Phase 1B of the vaccine rollout as of Monday. Educators and folks 75 and older can apply for an appointment. That includes me. Thanks be to God.
    Go for it, Miss Amanda, and may your side-effects be few and bearable!
  • Yea and Amen! (But no nasty side-effects, please God)
    My sister, a nurse practitioner, received her shot last week. She said she had a very slight headache that went away after a few minutes, otherwise no side effects. I hope I have her genes.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    I refuse to believe Miss Amanda is a day over 45.
    Lord bless you, she wishes she wasn't.
  • Ruth wrote: »
    I refuse to believe Miss Amanda is a day over 45.
    I always assume that Miss Amanda is 35, in accordance with Lady Bracknell’s astute observation:

“Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years. Lady Dumbleton is an instance in point. To my own knowledge she has been thirty-five ever since she arrived at the age of forty, which was many years ago now.”

That's where I went wrong -- I allowed myself to turn 36. What was I even thinking?!?
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited January 7
    Well, if Lady Dumbleton is any guide, you can always turn the clock back. :wink:

• The year I was 35 was a year from H*ll. I do NOT want to go back there!
    If I understand correctly, you get to be 35 in the current year, and every year going forward.
    I'd be quite happy to go back to being 35.
  • All this speculation as to Miss Amanda's age is Most Unseemly. I have always pictured her as Ageless...
    :wink:
    [sings]
    When I was 35
    It was a very good year.

Apologies to Frank Sinatra.

Actually it wasn't a bad year at all for me. But if I were to go back to it, there are some things I'd do differently.
  • I got carded yesterday...

To be sure, a wide mask and long hair do wonders for concealing one's age.
  • Please, what is carded?

ION, I have been impressed by your new President's speeches on TV, as reported here in England.

As I have said elsewhere, a better day is hopefully dawning for y'all across the Pond.
    Carded - being asked for proof of your age when buying alcohol. :smiley:

A Very Good Thing if you're substantially older than you need to be.

O I see. Not something that's happened to Me for quite some time...alas...
    :disappointed:
  • I was 54 the last time I was carded. That was on a Sunday at lunch when I ordered a Guinness.

Then on that Wednesday I turned 55. When a friend and I went to a movie on the following Friday evening, the ticket person handed me a Senior Ticket without asking my age.

It seems to have been quite a significant birthday!

I've encountered establishments in the US that card everyone, and witnessed someone's elderly grandmother at the next table being refused a glass of wine because she didn't think to bring id with her when her children took her out for lunch.

I don't look even vaguely possibly underage, and I just find it annoying when someone asks, because I have to muck around fishing the drivers license out of the little pocket in my wallet. (They always want to touch it, not just look at it in situ.)
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    I echo the sentiments of @Piglet - but what is this? Our American friends seem strangely silent, or absent from this thread!

Could it be that they are all immersed in solemn thanksgiving to God for the defeat of Trump, and solemn intercession for His blessing on the new President? The mere fact of Mr Biden's success is surely a sign of grace, and an opportunity later this month for the World to take a deep breath, and to wish him (and Ms Harris) well...
    Should we be thanking the Almighty for Trumps first term

• I was carded at 80, I had ordered for curbside pick up at the grocery store, and because it was curbside and my order included a bottle of wine they were required by law to card everyone. Cheap thrill.
  • I don't believe I've ever been carded. Then again I was 6'4" when I was 14 years old, and didn't really drink in restaurants until into my 20's.