How is Brexit affecting us?

Comments

• Boogie wrote: »
    My dog food has almost doubled in price from £26 to £42 for a 15Kg bag. I’m glad I stockpiled 3 bags.

I’ll have to look for a different brand. Luckily she has iron guts.

🤔

Twice 26 is 52 not 42.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Boogie wrote: »
    My dog food has almost doubled in price from £26 to £42 for a 15Kg bag. I’m glad I stockpiled 3 bags.

🤔

Twice 26 is 52 not 42.

Hence the word 'almost' presumably.

Half 42 is 21...

Or to put it another way 42/26 = 1.62.

Or to put it another-'nother way the price has gone up by 62%.

I suppose if we're being really pedantic, a 62% increase probably isn't close enough to doubling to consider it 'almost doubling' but I think your critique is a little harsh.

AFZ
  • Presumably other dog-owners (along with those humans employed by cats) are experiencing the same sort of increases, or are likely to.

Little things, perhaps, but they all contribute to a much larger picture.
  • Offer the problems up to Jesus, and buy Proper English Sausages.
    I would not bother Jesus with such a trivial matter and I do buy English sausages as well

• Your purchase of English sausages is to be commended, so please continue to be patriotic.

As to offering problems to Jesus, I don't think He minds how trivial they are.
    Boogie wrote: »

🤔

Twice 26 is 52 not 42.

Hence the word 'almost' presumably.

Half 42 is 21...

Or to put it another way 42/26 = 1.62.

Or to put it another-'nother way the price has gone up by 62%.

I suppose if we're being really pedantic, a 62% increase probably isn't close enough to doubling to consider it 'almost doubling' but I think your critique is a little harsh.

AFZ

Meaning I shouldn't have mentioned it at all. It's not a critique and it's hardly harsh to point out a maths error. People all the time on the SOF ask others to provide backing to their claims. If the abacus doesn't back your claim there's no point in posting web links.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    mousethief wrote: »
    It's not a critique and it's hardly harsh to point out a maths error.
    The point is, it's not a maths error; it's a maths approximation.

• Dafyd wrote: »

Then it's a very bad one. 1.6 is far closer to 1.5 than to 2.
    Dafyd wrote: »

Then it's a very bad one. 1.6 is far closer to 1.5 than to 2.

But in maths you commonly use 1 s.f. for estimation so it's valid, if imprecise.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Two is the first approximation generated by the extended fraction expansion of 42/26. 1.5 is the second. They're equally good approximations depending on how you want to trade off precision vs ease of use. The point of the approximation in context isn't whether the price rise is closer to 2 or 1.5; the question is whether it's closer to 2 or 1.

xkcd
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    edited January 2021
    I'll add: the point beyond which 1.5 ceases to be a good approximation at all is the golden ratio: 42/26 is 21/13, which is one of the series of best underapproximations to the golden ratio. So while 1.5 is a good approximation it's only just so.
    I'll add: the point beyond which 1.5 ceases to be a good approximation at all is the golden ratio: 42/26 is 21/13, which is one of the series of best underapproximations to the golden ratio. So while 1.5 is a good approximation it's only just so.

But of 1.6 it's a hell of a lot better approximation than 2.
  • Ricardus wrote: »
    The title does in fact apply to anybody with a small business who can't afford the what, 1000 pound fee? to be authorized to collect and forward taxes. Or at least that's what I read on a small bookseller's site, who were waving bye-bye to their business in the UK. I'm sure it's going to hurt their bottom line.

What happened before Brexit? I assume someone would have had to pay tax somewhere in the transaction?

can't tell you. The bookstore didn't describe the previous set up.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    edited January 2021
    I was wrong: the point at which 1.5 ceases to be a good approximation at all is one and two thirds.
    The point is, there is a mathematical way of determining whether one number is one of the series of best approximations to another; and for any number from 1.5 below 2.5, 2 is the first best approximation. Dealing with fractions, even halves, rather than integers is a whole level of extra precision you may not actually need.

• mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Dafyd wrote: »
    I was wrong: the point at which 1.5 ceases to be a good approximation at all is one and two thirds.
    The point is, there is a mathematical way of determining whether one number is one of the series of best approximations to another; and for any number from 1.5 below 2.5, 2 is the first best approximation. Dealing with fractions, even halves, rather than integers is a whole level of extra precision you may not actually need.

This is a meaningless statement. Approximation for what purposes, and at what granularity? Rounding to the nearest 0.5 is almost always going to be a better (nearer) approximation than rounding to the nearest 1.0. And in what range? If you were asking your dad to help you pay off a loan, and you asked for "approximately £2000" and then disclose a week later that the actual loan amount was £2400, I can understand if your dad might get a little testy.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Caissa wrote: »
    Maybe then its just presumptuous. As a Canadian I see cases of both residents of the UK and the US considering themselves to be the "us" that occupies this site. Probably inevitable given their populations.

Yes but no. There are many threads that are really best for US or other countries that us Brits can take part in but are not primarily about us Brits. I think it is the same here this thread is primarily about Brexit so is mostly for Brits and posters from EU countries. Posters from other countries are totally free to join in. They may bring a fresh perspective and we may give you more info than you get in your news reports.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Telford wrote: »
    I am still having problems getting bratwurst

Mr F was lamenting this as well. About the same time we had a flyer from an enterprising food stall offering delivery of a brattie in a roll.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love all this chat about my maths ability! I have smiled and chuckled through every post.

My maths ability is low, verging on zero, even when I make the effort to think about it. In this case ‘nearly doubled’ was merely an expression of my dismay that Tatze’s dog food has gone up in price to a level which I really don’t want to pay. I certainly didn’t look at the numbers and think ‘is that really almost double?’ :laugh:

She’s a big dog and gets through a lot of food. I’m also hoping to get another dog soon - so have been researching other brands. Maybe a brand made entirely in the U.K. will be cheaper.

(Maybe ‘low verging on zero’ is also mathematically incorrect? I have a pedant in my family, I drive him loopy too. :lol: )
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    I used to work for a firm that included a pet food division. One of their technologists said that if you get a new cat or dog, start it off on the cheapest food as they are all very similar nutritionally. The scientists also put as much effort into making pet food look / smell acceptable to human owners as to making it palatable for the animals!
  • Darda wrote: »
    I used to work for a firm that included a pet food division. One of their technologists said that if you get a new cat or dog, start it off on the cheapest food as they are all very similar nutritionally. The scientists also put as much effort into making pet food look / smell acceptable to human owners as to making it palatable for the animals!

A lot of effort but little apparent success as far as I'm concerned.
  • Jane RJane R Shipmate
    Well, here's another thing... Just logged in to the Fish4Dogs website to order more food for ours (thank you Boogie for reminding me) and discovered they've stopped shipping to Northern Ireland. Doesn't affect me personally, but...

I love all this chat about my maths ability! I have smiled and chuckled through every post.

My maths ability is low, verging on zero, even when I make the effort to think about it. In this case ‘nearly doubled’ was merely an expression of my dismay that Tatze’s dog food has gone up in price to a level which I really don’t want to pay. I certainly didn’t look at the numbers and think ‘is that really almost double?’ :laugh:

She’s a big dog and gets through a lot of food. I’m also hoping to get another dog soon - so have been researching other brands. Maybe a brand made entirely in the U.K. will be cheaper.

(Maybe ‘low verging on zero’ is also mathematically incorrect? I have a pedant in my family, I drive him loopy too. :lol: )

Hee hee. Glad to help. It's not often I argue with Mousethief.

You May struggle to find (or even identify) a dog food made entirely in the UK. Supply chains for ingredients are long, complex and often transnational.

AFZ

Hee hee. Glad to help. It's not often I argue with Mousethief.

You May struggle to find (or even identify) a dog food made entirely in the UK. Supply chains for ingredients are long, complex and often transnational.

AFZ

However asking for pet mince at a decent butcher may serve as well. Just be prepared for your hound to put on some serious muscle. We used to buy it for around 50p/lb, made of ground up chicken caracasses, ends of joints, offal and unsold meat.
    That’s not a bad idea @Arethosemyfeet. We have an excellent butcher who delivers to us every week.
  • Darda wrote: »
    Works unless your darling mogs eat any brand EXCEPT that produced by the local supermarket.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the prices in the local Polish shops, and for that matter the Asian supermarkets. The former in particular import pretty much everything except bread and maybe some meats, whereas there are more UK manufacturers of South Asian foods.

Mr Dragon has a proper electronic organ in our dining room. He is trying to improve the speaker set up after upgrading some of the other parts, and ordered a couple from Germany just before new year. They are in the UK now awaiting delivery, but the power cables they were sending too are stuck there until some unknown date. Looking on a certain well known retail portal to buy the last one from the UK will now cost twice as much as from Germany, where they are made.
  • Your purchase of English sausages is to be commended, so please continue to be patriotic.

So when two fans of two different football clubs pray for their team to win when they are playing each other, Jesuis is able to satisfy both ?

• O indeed.

Answers to prayer don't always mean you get what you want, so it may be that, by offering to Jesus their desire to win, the losing team might actually gain more long-term benefit than if they'd won.

But this is rather off-topic, and I hope your bratwurst arrives soon (in good condition!).
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    O indeed.

Answers to prayer don't always mean you get what you want, so it may be that, by offering to Jesus their desire to win, the losing team might actually gain more long-term benefit than if they'd won.
    In the circumstances described they probably draw. God does not favour the big teams, rather the best shots
    But this is rather off-topic, and I hope your bratwurst arrives soon (in good condition!).
    Unable to order. I will give them to February and I will then be writing to Angela

• Telford wrote: »
    O indeed.

In the circumstances described they probably draw. God does not favour the big teams, rather the best shots
    Unable to order. I will give them to February and I will then be writing to Angela

Good answers!
    :lol:

• Dave WDave W Shipmate
    Telford wrote: »
    Your purchase of English sausages is to be commended, so please continue to be patriotic.

So when two fans of two different football clubs pray for their team to win when they are playing each other, Jesuis is able to satisfy both ?

Sadly, he is not.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Back to pet food - mince provided by the butcher sounds like a good idea, but is it necessary to add various other ingredients, as it might be vitamins and such-like?

If so, how, and from whence, are these other ingredients to be obtained? Given the increasing problems with supply chains, how will Larry The Number Ten Cat get the nourishment he requires?
  • Eating the current resident, hopefully
  • I wouldn't want to wish food poisoning on Larry.
  • Quite. Think of the horrid blonde fur-balls he'd throw up, too...
  • ThunderBunkThunderBunk Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Quite. Think of the horrid blonde fur-balls he'd throw up, too...

At last!! A credible account of the genesis of Bozo. He is a cat's blond furball.
  • Ewww...but with less sense and attractiveness.
  • I had a bit of a chuckle at this report from the Guardian:
    https://theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/dutch-officials-seize-ham-sandwiches-from-british-drivers

Hard luck on the lorry-drivers, but it's The Will Of The People™, guys...
  • ...and given that in 2001 an outbreak of African Swine Fever in the UK was believed to have been started by someone throwing a ham sarnie into a pig pen, they've got a point.
  • Maybe, but I have this vision of lots of Dutch frietjes (chips/French fries) booths springing up on their side of the Sea...
    :naughty:
  • ...and given that in 2001 an outbreak of African Swine Fever in the UK was believed to have been started by someone throwing a ham sarnie into a pig pen, they've got a point.
    It was Foot and Mouth rather than swine flu. I remember us getting the DEFRA leaflet on spotting it as our field was registered with them due to people sometimes grazing sheep there. Or course it shut the countryside for months and caused a complete rewrite of The Archers. (Sounds familiar!)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    So far, I don't think I've been directly affected by Brexit (although I don't pay nearly as much attention to the bills at the supermarket as I should).

However, as an amateur musician and the widow of a professional one, I'm absolutely outraged by the Government's rejection of the offer by the EU to make an exemption to the end-of-free-movement for touring musicians.

Bloody Tory philistine toffs. :rage:

[/rant]
  • @Piglet there's a petition to sign. It was one of the concerns of a wide range of musicians around the negotiations.

Apparently, according to the Independent today, but disputed on Twitter, the reason this Government refused the EU waiver on 90 day travel for musicians and artists was that it came with a quid pro quo - that European musicians and artists could equally travel here.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Who do I believe? Johnson's government or the Independent?
  • You mean you have a problem deciding after all the proven lies of this Government? :wink:

Apparently the story came from an EU leak. Again, which would you prefer to believe, the Government or the EU. (There were a lot of posters on Twitter could not believe the EU, so Johnson's misinformation has done its work.)
  • Pendragon wrote: »
    It was Foot and Mouth rather than swine flu. I remember us getting the DEFRA leaflet on spotting it as our field was registered with them due to people sometimes grazing sheep there. Or course it shut the countryside for months and caused a complete rewrite of The Archers. (Sounds familiar!)

I think that's me muddling the dates - of course 2001 was foot and mouth, I think swine fever was the year before.

Who do I believe? Johnson's government or the Independent?

When there is a choice, Johnson lies, so the decision is easy, surely.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    I remember there was a time when Trump said one thing, and Johnson denied it, and everyone was stuck to know what had happened because for once they couldn't both be lying.
  • Trump "The grass is red"
    BoJo "The grass is purple"
    Everyone else "Green"

See, both lying.
    Update re: medical insurance. The EHIC has been replaced with a similar scheme.

Some good news - https://tinyurl.com/y2h4xecj
    I remember there was a time when Trump said one thing, and Johnson denied it, and everyone was stuck to know what had happened because for once they couldn't both be lying.

The problem is that they're worse than liars - they're bullshitters. Truth or falsehood are orthogonal to the real determinant of what they say: do they have something to gain by saying it?