Sometimes I can’t stay logged in

Every once in a while I come to the Ship and discover I’ve been logged out. So I login. But then as soon as I try to open a forum or discussion, it turns out I’ve been logged out again. Usually I’m going through Categories view.

The fix seems to be finding a way to navigate into discussions in a different way from how I normally do.

For example, I normally never go through Recent Discussions but tonight after logging in for the umpteenth time in a row, I used to menu to go to Discussions, and this time I stayed logged in, even when I went back to Categories which had been misbehaving only shortly before.

Any idea why this happens? Ways to prevent it? Others who have experienced it?

Comments

• EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    AIUI the software logs you out from time to time as a security feature.

When you log back in, it sometimes seems to take a while to reset across the different views.

My usual experience is the opposite to yours: I log back in, go to Recent Discussions, and find myself not logged in and having to go through Categories for a few moments before it recognises me.
  • I find I get logged out once per calendar month.
  • @Eutychus is your normal way of viewing the Ship through Discussions?

Maybe what our experiences have in common is that Our Usual Ways are cached and slow updating, while Our Unusual Ways are not cached, and so are delivered up fresh and correctly logged in.
  • EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    @Autenrieth Road I invariably use "Recent Discussions". And I agree with your explanation, inasmuch as I understand these things, which is not very much.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    I find I get logged out once per calendar month.
    Yes, the cookie times out after 30d. When you log back in the cookie is re-set and you have another 30d before the cookie expires and you need to log in again.
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host, 8th Day Host
    I don't know if this is the same thing that is happening to you, but I find this seems to happen to me - that I've logged in, but when I then click on 'most recent', it's showing that I'm logged out again, But I'm not actually logged out - if I refresh the page, I'm logged in again. This happens on my iPhone and iPad.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Yes. This happens to me too. I think the device caches the page, and when you go back it uses what it has cached until you refresh the page.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    It happens to me on my laptop too.
  • Notwithstanding that some like me consider that always needing to login is a feature, not a bug, logins are stored in cookie the site puts into your browser on your computer or phone. The cookie may be deleted by browser settings (close browser, cookies get deleted), by what the cookie has in it (expires on a particular date). I'd suspect that the browser deletes via a setting if you're always getting logged out.

Checking SOF in terms of trackers shows no third party cookies are used. Which is great for privacy. Many sites do track this way. And they follow you where ever you browse. Which is why some suspicious people like me auto delete everything when either leaving a website or closing a browser.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    I find I get logged out once per calendar month.
    Yes, the cookie times out after 30d. When you log back in the cookie is re-set and you have another 30d before the cookie expires and you need to log in again.

I'm content.
  • @fineline, @brojames: ah, refreshing the page! I’ll try that next time this happens... in 29 days per @Alan Cresswell .

Thank you to everyone who has contributed answers to this puzzle. I feel much less puzzled now.