Promotional Material

So. following from a discussion in Heaven, this is a question about promoting ones own work. Note that I am not in any way wanting to question the hosting decision as it stands.

On the old ship, we could promote our own work (like my book, as per the original comment) in my signature. So any overt promotion in a thread was dismissed with a comment to put it in your sig. Now, of course, we no longer have this.

Is there a case for more leniency? In my case, it was one post, about my book, on a thread of "what are you reading" - so had some relevancy.

I have no desire to see the blatant threads that are pure advertising. But also, something like the "Who is going to Greenbelt" thread could be seen as being advertising for GB.

I Just wonder if some reconsideration could be made for the lack of sigs, and for the fact that some shipmates might actually be interested in what other shipmates have done and created.

Comments

• I have some sympathy with this, for obvious reasons.
  • I'm wondering whether we might have a dedicated thread, perhaps with guidelines--for example, that it's Just Not Done to post something promotional more than once a month, or what have you.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I think that’s a good idea @Lamb Chopped.
  • We had a promotional thread on the new Ship - not sure what happened to it - for this very reason
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Just to let you all know that the hosts and admins are discussing possibilities for this. We miss the signatures too!
  • Ooh, change! Well blister my barnacles! Peers curiously through the porthole to observe goings-on inside....
  • Chorister wrote: »
    Ooh, change! Well blister my barnacles! Peers curiously through the porthole to observe goings-on inside....

If you're peering IN through the porthole, that suggests that you are floating in the water off of the Ship. I do hope you are wearing a lifebelt - or do we need to call out the RNLI?
  • Ruth wrote: »
    Just to let you all know that the hosts and admins are discussing possibilities for this. We miss the signatures too!

Thank you.
  • Chorister wrote: »
    Ooh, change! Well blister my barnacles! Peers curiously through the porthole to observe goings-on inside....

If you're peering IN through the porthole, that suggests that you are floating in the water off of the Ship. I do hope you are wearing a lifebelt - or do we need to call out the RNLI?

She could be hanging from a rope dangling down from the deck and peering in.
  • The Rogue wrote: »
    Chorister wrote: »

At sea? That's just as dangerous. What if a big wave comes and smashes her against the side of the Ship? Does the Ship not have a Health and Safety Officer?
  • And thinking about it - who are the designated first-aiders? Is there a written emergency protocol? I think we should be told.
  • Is there a written emergency protocol? I think we should be told.
    Yes, we have an emergency protocol
  • Alan, thank you. Most helpful! I think I can manage that.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    The Rogue wrote: »

At sea? That's just as dangerous. What if a big wave comes and smashes her against the side of the Ship? Does the Ship not have a Health and Safety Officer?

No fear, she has a drone.

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Boogie wrote: »
    The Rogue wrote: »

No fear, she has a drone.
    I can hear it, but all it’s doing is letting the air out of her bagpipes.
  • MagianMagian Shipmate Posts: 31
    This thread reinforces the literal meaning of the 9th commandment, & it even ought to prevent virtually all posts for advertising one's ignorance as a product, or oneself since "Everyone lives by selling oneself" to paraphrase RL Stevenson.

Thus, my crime was ignorance of not knowing the unwritten rule that the 9th applies to other's books, including announcements of their withdrawal from publication accompanied by a summary of what they were to cover. The Ship ought to be guilty of entrapping me for my lack of clairvoyance, in leading by example to help Brian Greene promote a book newly appearing on the market, that I followed: to 'promote' one being withdrawn. The idea was to get others' views of the content, as well as split up listening time for a 10h marathon which turned into 15. There ought to be allowance for organising such a division of labor.

Further, I'm guilty of not knowing all the rules of other boards aren't meant literally, but what they've devolved into by the traditions of shipmates. I posted what was an announcement/gripe on bulletin boards for announcements/gripes, etc, only to discover that another board wasn't just a better choice, but the only choice, which is typically Western: via the legal fiction of an excluded middle, & duly outlawing it.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Admin
    If you had a map with a place on it marked "I have no idea what you're talking about and am completely unclear as to what you're asking", that exact place is where you could find me, and probably a lot of other shipmates.

So. What is it that we're preventing you from doing, bearing in mind that the Ship's front end is a privately-run magazine, and the forums are a public message board? Because the general rule is simply that if you want to advertise something on the Ship, then paying the Ship to run a side-bar advertisement is the way to do it.
  • One is tempted to enquire as to which part of *NO* Magian can't comprehend...
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    One is tempted to enquire as to which part of *NO* Magian can't comprehend...
    I think it’s more that Magian is ignoring the reality that the Ship as a magazine—where the articles are—and the Ship’s discussion forums are separate things. They’re related, obviously, as both are part of the Ship, but they’re separate. He seems to think the rules on what is and isn’t acceptable in the discussion forums and what is and isn’t acceptable elsewhere on the Ship are, or at least should be, the same. He also seems to think the mods and admins of the discussion forums are also responsible for what goes into articles on the magazine side, as he claimed (in his Hell thread) that “it's hypocritical for the moderators, jedijudy and Alan Cresswell, to ban my posts for the webinar, while collectively promoting an interview with Dr Greene on a book tour ‘to London to promote his latest book.’”

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 3
    @Nick Tamen - a rather more balanced and charitable view than mine, and I guess you're probably right. I tend to forget about The Other Place (the magazine), concentrating on the forums.
  • The article in question is an interview with an author, an interview that was conducted at a particular time and place (which happened to be during a tour to promote the authors new book ... unsurprisingly, authors tend to give a lot of interviews at such times). The article is a stand-alone item, you can read and think about it without external references. For anyone interested in taking things further there are two references provided, one to the book that provided the occasion for the interview and the other to a longer version of the interview.

Within these forums, it's very common for posts to similarly be stand-alone, that can be read and thought about and responded to within the context of the rest of the thread. It is very common within such posts for references to be made to other sources - maybe a newspaper article or a book - that are relevant and provide more information than can be included within a post. That doesn't make those posts adverts for those newspapers or books.

A post, especially an opening post for a thread and thus lacking the context of earlier posts, which does nothing but provide information about a forthcoming event with details of how to register for it is a very different thing. Without any indication of what you find interesting in the book/blog/article/video/whatever and your thoughts on that there's nothing to discuss, and it's difficult to see what place a simple advert for such would have on a discussion forum.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    One is tempted to enquire as to which part of *NO* Magian can't comprehend...

But realizing that this would verge on personal attack, one stops short.

Ruth, Styx Host
  • Indeed. A timely admonition, duly noted.
  • @Magian - from your comments here about Number 9 in The 10 Commandments (link), you have found that there are some rules for the Ship, and that advertising threads are not allowed. In all the time I've been around that has included advertising for other work, not just your own although that's not explicitly stated in the Commandments. As you may have realised from this thread, we used to be able to put links in our signatures, but that has not been possible since February 2018, when we moved to this particular software, and that does continue to be an issue when Shipmates have wanted to promote things, often charitable stuff.

Your other complaint about not being aware that if you want to query a host or admin ruling it has to be done in the Styx is also covered in those Commandments, at number 6, which says:
    6. Respect the Ship’s crew – If you disagree with an admin, host or editor in their Ship role, raise the issue in the Styx, our board for in-house stuff. Personal attacks on crew members for their official actions aren’t tolerated.

The usual advice for people new to the Ship is to read the 10 Commandments, and hang around a bit reading and joining in by posting on threads before starting new threads, as that way you get more of a feel of what fits where.

Many people posting have been around for years, decades in some cases, and have got to know each other, often through real life meetings or present exchanges. So if you do put a bit of time into getting to know the boards, you might find it suits you better than you feel it does now, and that you do want to hang around and get to know people better.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Magian wrote: »
    The Ship ought to be guilty of entrapping me for my lack of clairvoyance

For complaints of entrapment to be relevant, there would have to be some punishment that you suffered.

You do not appear to have been punished. As far as I'm aware, you were told that a line had been crossed, and that would have been the end of the matter except that you seem utterly determined to make sure that somehow it isn't the end of the matter.

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Magian, thank you for bringing your thoughts to the Styx, which is the proper place to question Hosts and Admins.

I will not reiterate what has been stated before this post, except to say that we (H&As) do take our volunteer duties seriously. The 10 Commandments are not difficult to comprehend, and are there to keep this Ship running smoothly.

Also, your posts were not banned. The thread was locked as it doesn't come under the remit of a discussion board. (Commandment 9, as mentioned above.)

However, I will admit to not following my duties completely. Normally the link would be disabled or deleted, and I failed to do so.

I hope these posts will help you to understand why the thread was locked, and I also hope that you will want to start or contribute to discussions here!