Republicanism in the UK

This thread is an offshoot of the Royal thread and I would like to discuss the following:

1) Is it a good idea for the UK to become a Republic
2) What are the reasonable prospects for the UK to become a Republic

I think there are good and not so good arguments for republicanism. The good argument is simply that the notion of inherited rule is fundamentally at odds with the principle of democracy. The notion that one person rules simply on the basis that they are born into this role seems at odds with any principle of meritocracy.

The not so good argument is simply that the royals are "bad people". Whether are not the royals themselves are individually good or bad people makes no difference whatsoever of whether the institution of monarchy is desirable in itself. There have been good and bad monarchs as they are good and bad presidents, but that in itself does not have to do with the institution.

Comments

• Hosts, can you delete this thread as I just realized that there is another thread about this?
  • TelfordTelford Shipmate

No
    Very poor at the moment

• Telford wrote: »

No
    Very poor at the moment

Why is it not a good idea?

Why do you think the prospects are poor at the moment? The implication is that things may change, so how do you see that happening?
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Come play on my thread, it has a jazzy title - what more could a good shipmate wish ...
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    I’ve copied all the substantive posts to the other British republic thread.
This discussion has been closed.