Things you just can't take seriously

SandemaniacSandemaniac Shipmate
edited March 25 in Heaven
Archaeologists in Somerset have discovered the medieval palace of the Bishop of Bath and Wells but, let's face it, who can take the Baby Eating Bishop seriously since Blackadder?

What should you take seriously, but just can't?

Comments

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    The link didn't work on my computer. :neutral:
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Lyda wrote: »
    The link didn't work on my computer. :neutral:
    There was an extra “http” in there. Try this one.

But the Blackadder reference is lost on me, so I guess I can still take the Bishop of Bath and Wells and his palace seriously.

• There is also an identifier on the link "fbclid=IwAR3_uJptAffX48x8zOxXtZmQkmox2t7CPZ77gUmsJvjcx-SuDNoCK4XHnBA" which tells us that @Sandemaniac found the link on Facebook and the rest is tracking info. If you click on it without the Facebook Click Id deleted, you get connected and may be offered this shippie as a friend on FB? or just pushed adverts slightly differently. I'd say delete such things before linking.
    edited March 24
    Good catch. I just looked at the first part of the link. Edited link here.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    But the Blackadder reference is lost on me, so I guess I can still take the Bishop of Bath and Wells and his palace seriously.

You've missed out.

The Baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells features in one episode of Blackadder II. There were four series of Blackadder, starring Rowan Atkinson as Blackadder, and a host of very funny people (Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, ...)

The writing on series one is a bit hit and miss, but series 2-4 are fantastic. (Blackadder II is set in the Elizabethan court, Blackadder III in the Regency, and Blackadder Goes Forth in World War I.)

Youtube has snippets, if you want to get an idea of whether it might match your sense of humour. I've found it on various US streaming services, and on DVD in my public library.
    Youtube has snippets, if you want to get an idea of whether it might match your sense of humour.
    Thanks, but I think I already know the answer. I don’t find Rowan Atkinson the least bit funny or entertaining, I’m afraid.

• Mr Bean is just woeful. And the less said about Johnny English the better.

But Blackadder 2 & 4 were brilliant. The very ending of Blackadder goes forth is still moving.

He was also good (in parts) in Not The Nine O'clock News, with Pamela Stevenson, Griff Rhys Jones and Mel Smith. But I suspect that NTNON has dated badly, although the sketch with the punk in the lavatory still makes me giggle.
  • But Blackadder 2 & 4 were brilliant. The very ending of Blackadder goes forth is still moving.

Indeed. I still vividly recall the first time that I saw that. There I was, feet up, having a g&t, and then the final sequence. My jaw dropped. My eyes widened. The only thought I had was, Well, I didn't see that coming.

• stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited March 25
    I think this one would fit that bill, but you sorta have to be familiar with a certain rather obscure movie...

The 1990 movie Slacker presents a verite-ish(but still scripted) assortment of aimless young people hanging around the streets and coffee shops of Austin Texas, engaging in pseudo-intellectual discussions in the general area of pop-culture and fringe politics eg. two scruffy guys in a dive bar talking about the philosophical implications of Scooby-Doo.

A few years after watching it, I read an academic book on New Religious Movements in the USA, some of which were fairly marginal. One group, some sort of Odin-worshipping outfit I believe, were described as holding their founding meeting at "a restaurant in Austin". You can guess what sort of impressions immediately popped into my mind.

And I'll admit that had it been any other city, I likely wouldn't have gotten the same impressions, or at least not quite as strongly.
  • I own the DVDs because we used that ending of Blackadder Goes Fourth when teaching WW1. It's far more Not The Nine O'Clock News than anything else with Rowan Atkinson who I only liked in Blackadder and NTNON.
    John Lloyd produced Blackadder with other regulars Tony Robinson, Tim McInnery, Stephen Fry, Ben Elton & Richard Curtis wrote it, Hugh Laurie was in some series, as was Miranda Richardson. It's more like Upstart Crow, also written by Ben Elton.
  • After years of listening to I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue with it's Uxbridge English Dictionary I discovered that Uxbridge is a real place only when I heard that Boris Johnson was its M.P.

My mental image of Uxbridge included an apple orchard (one of Samantha's boyfriends wanted to be big in cider), a pretty High Street with all manner of shops, including the antique shop owned by Samantha's French Polisher boyfriend, etc etc. Discovering that Uxbridge is a real place but the sort of place where people think Boris is a good choice of M.P. - I can't take it seriously.

I can't remember the lovely Samantha ever dating her M.P. - clearly Samantha has standards!
  • There is also an identifier on the link "fbclid=IwAR3_uJptAffX48x8zOxXtZmQkmox2t7CPZ77gUmsJvjcx-SuDNoCK4XHnBA" which tells us that @Sandemaniac found the link on Facebook and the rest is tracking info. If you click on it without the Facebook Click Id deleted, you get connected and may be offered this shippie as a friend on FB? or just pushed adverts slightly differently. I'd say delete such things before linking.

Well, that's just bizarre, because I'm sure I found it through google, but there.

And I hate the way inserting links (doesn't) work on this software, with a vengeance. I think I'm just going to go back to pasting the link in, because if it does shit like that...
  • Searching on Google produces long urls with tracking information regularly. I tidy them up when I code the urls into my links. But I code my posts without bothering with the buttons because I don't find they work as well as coding.
  • Could a Heaven host sort out the tracking shite in the link, please? Ta!
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    After years of listening to I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue with it's Uxbridge English Dictionary I discovered that Uxbridge is a real place only when I heard that Boris Johnson was its M.P.

My mental image of Uxbridge included an apple orchard (one of Samantha's boyfriends wanted to be big in cider), a pretty High Street with all manner of shops, including the antique shop owned by Samantha's French Polisher boyfriend, etc etc. Discovering that Uxbridge is a real place but the sort of place where people think Boris is a good choice of M.P. - I can't take it seriously.

I can't remember the lovely Samantha ever dating her M.P. - clearly Samantha has standards!
    Regrettably, for all one's rural fantasies, plenty of the places which include apple orchards, pretty High Streets and antique shops owned by French Polishers are also rife with the sort of unthinking prejudices that make some people think Mr Johnson is a good choice of M.P. and a suitable person to be a Prime Minister. They're the sort of people who chose him to lead their party.

That may not be so in Peebles and Auchtermuchty but you are blessed in Scotland in ways which those of us who have the misfortune to live in England and might once have identified as English are not.

Uxbridge, though, is rather a nondescript London suburb.

• TrudyTrudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    The OP has now been edited with the correct link, sans tracking info.
  • Much appreciated, @Trudy, thank you!
    My pleasure. The Heavenly bodies are so well-behaved these days there's not a lot of heavy Hosting work to do, so fixing a link is a nice little task to keep me occupied.
  • Does that mean you are inviting us to give you more to do? :lol:
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    edited March 25
    I was a big X-File fan as was a good friend of mine. We also liked taking road trips around the Southwest. Of course, X-Files was all about the aliens and hence a late episode involved Area 51 in Nevada. That episode featured Rachel, NV, the nearest town near Area 51 and the Little A'Le'Inn, a real place. In the ep Rachel was a tidy, well manicured suburb where people who worked at Area 51 lived, and the Little A'Le'Inn was a biggish, woodsy tavern. Rachel, as my friend and I found it when we took a day away from Vegas, was a scattering of trailer homes among the tumbleweeds and the sand. The Little A'Le'Inn was another pre-fab building with breakfast and lunch served, beer available, and a few simple motel rooms. And of course there was a gift shop packed with alien souvenirs, tee shirts, and joke gifts, and spooky photos of purported UFOs and extraterrestrials on the walls. We enjoyed our visit but it wasn't at all like what was seen in the episode. I assume anyone who worked at the Area 51 base lived in base housing.

Wiki article with pictures: http://www.pandora.com/station/play/143006064313591038

Sorry I have none from the X-Files episode.
  • Well, can't stand Blackadder, liked Mr. Bean. Disliked X-files - went nowhere, annoyingly so. Friends was the worst though. Awful.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I can't take how polite people are toward Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. Just once, when she bumps into someone or shoves them aside in her haste to get where she's going, I'd like to hear that someone say, "Hey, there, you insufferable old bat. Watch where you're going!"
    I can't take how polite people are toward Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances. Just once, when she bumps into someone or shoves them aside in her haste to get where she's going, I'd like to hear that someone say, "Hey, there, you insufferable old bat. Watch where you're going!"
    Ah, but there’s a point in that. She prides herself on her manners, yet it’s those “lesser ones” around her who actually exhibit good manners.

And thanks, all—perhaps I’ll give Blackadder a try.

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    What I have trouble taking seriously is anything that involves medieval castles - because David and I would have immediately launched into quoting entire scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, in particular, the one with the King of Swamp Castle (in a suitably North of England accent):
    One day, lad, ALL THIS WILL BE YOURS!

What, the curtains?

No, not the curtains ...

When we actually visited Bodiam Castle in Sussex, where that bit was filmed, I reckon we came this close to getting chucked out for doing just that!
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Ah, but there’s a point in that. She prides herself on her manners, yet it’s those “lesser ones” around her who actually exhibit good manners.

No, I understand the point. She makes an ass of herself one way or another in every episode. I just don't understand why people tolerate her snobbishness. Richard, for example, would not be exhibiting bad manners were he to say, "Hyacinth, could you get the door for me, please? My hands are full." instead of struggling to open the door himself with his hands full, while she remains oblivious to his plight.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Re Hyacinth:

People are scared of her.

Sometimes, people do stand up to her, though. Richard did, once. They'd pulled over to use a pay phone. IIRC, there was a man in the booth; H harassed him; R shouted at her to leave him alone and get back in the car; and H was totally dumbfounded, and did it!
    ROTFL.
  • I don't know if she's still up to it, but the actress who played Hyacinth, Dame Patricia Routledge, used to be a volunteer steward at Chichester Cathedral, where she was renowned for being the go-to person to deal with over-excited/noisy visitors 🤣
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    KUA was a single joke sit-com; never saw the appeal myself.
  • I don't know if she's still up to it, but the actress who played Hyacinth, Dame Patricia Routledge, used to be a volunteer steward at Chichester Cathedral, where she was renowned for being the go-to person to deal with over-excited/noisy visitors 🤣
    She was fabulous in Alan Bennett's original Talking Head's 'A Lady of Letters'.
    I don't know if she's still up to it, but the actress who played Hyacinth, Dame Patricia Routledge, used to be a volunteer steward at Chichester Cathedral, where she was renowned for being the go-to person to deal with over-excited/noisy visitors 🤣
    She was fabulous in Alan Bennett's original Talking Head's 'A Lady of Letters'.
    I would have loved to see her as Lady Bracknell.

• Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    She was also good as Hildegard von Bingen one Easter, a programme never repeated. I would like to see it again. Putting one over the bishop about the burial of someone from a family of heretics.
  • BelisariusBelisarius Admin Emeritus
    Also Mrs. Peachum in BBC's The Beggar's Opera (with Roger Daltrey as MacHeath). Imagining Hyacinth Bucket complaining "Our Polly is a sad slut" lessens the seriousness-taking.
    The actress who played Hyacinth, Dame Patricia Routledge, used to be a volunteer steward at Chichester Cathedral.

"I will NOT have you approaching the communion rail without a hat!"
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I went to a Sunday Eucharist at Chichester Cathedral 20+ years ago. I'm so sorry Dame Patricia Routledge wasn't on duty that morning.
    :cry:
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Disliked X-files - went nowhere, annoyingly so.

I think that show was a case of the writers wanting to do stuff that went beyond the settled parameters originally established for the show.

IIRC correctly, TXF started out as basically just a procedural focused on occult and alien cases, playing off the tension between the faith-driven Mulder and the skeptical Scully, who were otherwise portrayed as just average people.

By the last few seasons, they had spun a whole ongoing storyline where Mulder himself was a space alien, and was mixed up in some sort of plot to invade Earth that his father had also been part of. But if that's where the writers had wanted to go, they shoulda made a separate show, with different characters.

• HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited March 26
    I would have loved to see her as Lady Bracknell.
    A couple of years ago I saw David Suchet (AKA Hercule Poirot) play Lady Bracknell! He was funny and very good.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Shades of Alistair Sim as the headmistress of St Trinians sneaking lines past the censor such as 'I'll have no arson about in my school!'
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Youtube has snippets, if you want to get an idea of whether it might match your sense of humour.
    Thanks, but I think I already know the answer. I don’t find Rowan Atkinson the least bit funny or entertaining, I’m afraid.

If it's any comfort, you're not alone
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    stetson wrote: »
    Disliked X-files - went nowhere, annoyingly so.

I think that show was a case of the writers wanting to do stuff that went beyond the settled parameters originally established for the show.

IIRC correctly, TXF started out as basically just a procedural focused on occult and alien cases, playing off the tension between the faith-driven Mulder and the skeptical Scully, who were otherwise portrayed as just average people.

By the last few seasons, they had spun a whole ongoing storyline where Mulder himself was a space alien, and was mixed up in some sort of plot to invade Earth that his father had also been part of. But if that's where the writers had wanted to go, they shoulda made a separate show, with different characters.

Yeah, in the later seasons I preferred the "monster of the week" episodes which were sometimes quite funny/quirky or shockingly dark. One of my favorites was "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" about a life insurance salesman who knew exactly when and perhaps how people would die including himself. He wouldn't tell Mulder about his death, but he told Scully that she wouldn't die. An episode a year or two later made this seem a possibility.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Coming late to this _ I find Rowan Atkinson only appeals sometimes, but the ending of Blackadder Goes Forth was very powerful and left me in tears.
  • Another non-fan of Rowan Atkinson here.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited March 27
    Depends what people are doing. Take Ricky Gervais. Most of his material stinks but The Office (original UK version) was a masterpiece.
    So Mr Bean - not particularly funny, although I possess Mr Bean's Diary which strangely is, because the humour is a bit darker, more obscure and less cartoony.

Blackadder is classic not because Rowan Atkinson is in it but because the writing is incredibly good. If you don't find Baldrick explaining that he's scratching his name onto a bullet because he's heard that there's a bullet somewhere with your name on it, and if he possessed that bullet he wouldn't get shot because he wasn't likely to shoot himself funny, along with Capt. Blackadder's response of "Shame", then there's no hope.

That and Prince Edmund's take down of Morris Dancing - "How it goes on in this day and age (1487) I shall never know..."
  • Back to the OP. @Sandemaniac I too have Blackadder-related problems with the Bishop of Bath & Wells.

A particularly odd one. Any mention of an armadillo means a mental rerun of the 90s UK advert for the Dime/Daim chocolate bar. The animal is 'crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside' in comparison with the Dime which is the opposite. All in a West Country accent.

Anybody called Jeremiah ('is a bullfrog') or Shirley (the Leslie Neilsen quote from Airplane)
  • Apologies for the double post but something I read reminded me:

Anybody named Ralph (for readers of the Judy Blume book 'Forever')
    Does that mean you are inviting us to give you more to do? :lol:

As long as we steer away from threads involving the English language, everything should be fine.

Oh, and I'm another one who finds Rowan Atkinson hit-or-miss humour-wise, but who reliably cries at the end of Blackadder Goes Forth.
  • A particularly odd one. Any mention of an armadillo means a mental rerun of the 90s UK advert for the Dime/Daim chocolate bar. The animal is 'crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside' in comparison with the Dime which is the opposite. All in a West Country accent.

Oh gods, yes! I remember those ads!

• Seemed stupid at the time, but I can recall every word...
    The very best ads linger in memory forever. (Do I sense a Heaven thread coming on?)