Guilty!

Enjoy your time in prison, Chauvin you murdering bastard.

Comments

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    Starting right now. He was remanded awaiting sentencing. Not a moment too soon.

Betcha cops will riot in multiple cities tonight.
  • I am greatly relieved.
  • Maybe, just maybe, attitudes will start to change.... but how many years of appeals first?
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    I won't go so far as to refer to him being a bastard. No doubt he is guilty and I hope the streets of Minneapolis and other cities will be calm tonight. However, I know full well there will be several attempts to appeal the case. It is not all over yet, my people.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Ex cops do not do well in prison. Serves him right.
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    Ex cops do not do well in prison. Serves him right.

Probably particularly ones in prison for killing civilians. Particularly a black civilian.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Seriously? How many people does he need to murder in full view of a crowd before you'll consider him a bastard?

Of course he'll appeal. But he's going to jail tonight, he'll stay there till he's sentenced, and then he's going to prison. An appeal will take a long time and is unlikely to be successful, and he'll be in prison the whole time.
    Maybe, just maybe, attitudes will start to change...

This is historic. Which is one of the sad things about it, but it's true. It's historic that a white police officer was convicted of murdering a Black man while on duty. This is the first time it's ever happened in Minnesota.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    However, I know full well there will be several attempts to appeal the case.
    Of course he will appeal, as is his right.

But an appellate court cannot substitute its view of the evidence for the jury’s. An appellate court can only determine whether a legal error occurred that was prejudicial—that is, but for that legal error, there is a reasonable possibility he would have been acquitted of at least one charge.

He certainly has a right to appeal, but from what I’ve seen, I don’t think he should hold out lots of hope for that appeal to be successful.

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    There should be peace in the USA tonight.
  • Caissa wrote: »
    There should be peace in the USA tonight.
    Yes. But there is lots more to be done before there is real peace. This is a long-awaited and long-delayed step on the road, not the destination.

But it is without question something to be glad of.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    What strikes me most powerfully is the sheer weight of evidence damning this officer -- that it took such an extreme example of police malfeasance to get what (AFAICT) was a near-inarguable verdict. We're not done here by a long chalk

There will now be appeals . . .
  • Martin54Martin54 Deckhand, Styx
    The final line of the prosecution was terribly beautiful.
  • Chauvin's actions were so far off the scale of what is defensible and reasonable that his conviction is only slightly surprising because he's a white cop and his victim was a black man. So I agree that his conviction is a good thing.

The bigger picture, however, isn't full of Derek Chauvins. It's full of cops shooting people (more often than not black ones) when they "thought they had a gun" or "he didn't follow commands", or had some other kind of sort-of-defensible "I feared for my life" moment. And the challenge is to change what cops do so those situations don't happen so often.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    The bigger picture, however, isn't full of Derek Chauvins. It's full of cops shooting people (more often than not black ones) when they "thought they had a gun" or "he didn't follow commands", or had some other kind of sort-of-defensible "I feared for my life" moment. And the challenge is to change what cops do so those situations don't happen so often.

My big worry going forward is that apologists for police brutality will cite this verdict as evidence that the system worked, no larger reforms are needed, and since the judicial system is apparently willing to punish cops who abuse their power that therefore every other case of black Americans killed by police must have been justified and necessary and not at all criminal or an abuse of their authority because if it was they surely would have been convicted. "Not as bad as Derek Chauvin" will become a mitigating defense in cases of police violence.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    And the challenge is to change what cops do so those situations don't happen so often.

The challenge is to change an entire system that leads to that.

I just happened to be up to an episode of the podcast You're Wrong About that's titled "Murder" (and no, it's not specifically about police committing murder but that gets a mention). It starts with the fact that the rate of solving murders has gone down, but then gets into the entire culture of how police forces interact with the communities they're supposed to be policing.

The nub of it is: Police provide a service to rich communities and go to war with poor ones, and then wonder why poor communities are so unhelpful to them.

So many of these stories involve police stopping people for reasons that look completely trivial compared to the end result of a death. The stories we hear about are the tip of an iceberg of police constantly stopping people for trivial reasons.

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    Crœsos wrote: »

My big worry going forward is that apologists for police brutality will cite this verdict as evidence that the system worked, no larger reforms are needed, and since the judicial system is apparently willing to punish cops who abuse their power that therefore every other case of black Americans killed by police must have been justified and necessary and not at all criminal or an abuse of their authority because if it was they surely would have been convicted. "Not as bad as Derek Chauvin" will become a mitigating defense in cases of police violence.
    Yep.
  • Crœsos wrote: »

Crap! Of course you are right. This is truly one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. Systemic racism sucks big time.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    orfeo wrote: »
    The nub of it is: Police provide a service to rich communities and go to war with poor ones, and then wonder why poor communities are so unhelpful to them.

"There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."
    So many of these stories involve police stopping people for reasons that look completely trivial compared to the end result of a death. The stories we hear about are the tip of an iceberg of police constantly stopping people for trivial reasons.

It has been suggested that police be taken out of the business of performing traffic stops for non-moving violations. Expired tags or an air freshener hanging from your rear-view mirror are not an immediate hazard to others.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Nancy Pelosi needs to retire. She said, "Thank you, George Floyd, for sacrificing your life for justice, for being there to call out to your mom - how heart-breaking was that? - call out for your mom: 'I can't breathe.' But because of you and because of thousands, millions of people around the world who came out for justice, your name will always be synonymous with justice."

He didn't sacrifice his life. He was murdered.
  • What an absurd thing for her to say.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Yeah, that's not good.
  • It looks like a step in the direction of dismantling white supremacy, or are my thoughts aimed in the wrong direction? Notwithstanding that reporting of this verdict indicates that someone else was also killed by police in the same city recently, apparently shot.

Is this convicted person a monster or a bastard? I expect, as Hannah Arendt noted in a different context (ww2 war criminals), that he is probably pretty ordinary. Thankfully the prior president isn't able to pardon him.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    It looks like a step in the direction of dismantling white supremacy, or are my thoughts aimed in the wrong direction?
    It is definitely a step in the right direction, but it is just that—a step. There are lots more steps to take.

Thankfully the prior president isn't able to pardon him.
    Trump wouldn’t be able to pardon him even if he was still president. This is a state criminal conviction. The president can only pardon those convicted of federal crimes.

• TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    What an absurd thing for her to say.

Yes it was. Floyd did not want to die.

Chauvin was arrogant to think he would get away with it.
  • Plenty of precedent and not only in the US
  • amyboamybo Shipmate
    We're so fucking relieved here. This is the first time a white cop has been convicted of killing a Black man in MN.

Life will still be on pause for the next few days - we're so happy here, but there's still a protest in Brooklyn Center, and there was a Black girl in Ohio murdered right before the conviction was read. We're still worried about a police and white supremacist backlash.

The MPD positioned itself during the trial as a righteous organization that suffered one rouge member. It's bullshit. People here will be taking the next step to defund the police, and it's going to be an uphill battle.

I don't know that bastard is a strong enough term to describe the piece of shit that Chauvin is. I'm afraid that MPD officer is.
  • No, bastard is a perfectly good word to describe the child of unwed parents. Chauvin doesn't deserve to have the word applied to him. Turd, meaning piece of shit, fits him precisely. Dingleberry* would even be better.

For those not familiar with the term:

* Dingleberry: a small piece of feces that clings to rectal hair.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Good point.

Fingers crossed for you all in Minnesota, @amybo. All the pictures of the state troopers and National Guard make them look like an occupying army.
    amybo wrote: »
    We're so fucking relieved here. This is the first time a white cop has been convicted of killing a Black man in MN.

Life will still be on pause for the next few days - we're so happy here, but there's still a protest in Brooklyn Center, and there was a Black girl in Ohio murdered right before the conviction was read. We're still worried about a police and white supremacist backlash.

The MPD positioned itself during the trial as a righteous organization that suffered one rouge member. It's bullshit. People here will be taking the next step to defund the police, and it's going to be an uphill battle.

I don't know that bastard is a strong enough term to describe the piece of shit that Chauvin is. I'm afraid that MPD officer is.

What are the implications of defunding the police? No Police Force ?
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The MPD positioned itself during the trial as a righteous organization that suffered one rouge member. It's bullshit.

Ah yes, the proverbial "bad apple". For some reason those who blame "bad apples" never go on to finish that proverb.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus

Yes, huge relief and morning news headlines leading with this verdict in South Africa. The same uncertainties and fears of a white supremacist backlash in the US as expressed by @amybo. Hoping this conviction will be a catalyst for genuine accountability and real systemic change.
  • Telford wrote: »

That's not what is usually meant, no. It means funding other services (mental health, social work, education etc.) by cutting back on police. There's pretty good evidence that with regard to crime an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Telford wrote: »

Despite agreeing that the slogan was initially misleading, I think after a year there's no excuse really for not knowing that it means diverting a significant proportion of their funding into the sorts of services which are needed for and to prevent the many of the situations police go into with negative outcomes. Social services, drug and alcohol intervention, mental health services.

That's not what is usually meant, no. It means funding other services (mental health, social work, education etc.) by cutting back on police. There's pretty good evidence that with regard to crime an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thanks for that.
    KarlLB wrote: »

Despite agreeing that the slogan was initially misleading, I think after a year there's no excuse really for not knowing that it means diverting a significant proportion of their funding into the sorts of services which are needed for and to prevent the many of the situations police go into with negative outcomes. Social services, drug and alcohol intervention, mental health services.

I apologise for not knowing what everyone else appears to know

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    However, I know full well there will be several attempts to appeal the case.
    Of course he will appeal, as is his right.

But an appellate court cannot substitute its view of the evidence for the jury’s. An appellate court can only determine whether a legal error occurred that was prejudicial—that is, but for that legal error, there is a reasonable possibility he would have been acquitted of at least one charge.

He certainly has a right to appeal, but from what I’ve seen, I don’t think he should hold out lots of hope for that appeal to be successful.

Unfortunately he's certain to appeal and, potentially could get a a complete retrial due to Improper Influence due to Representative Maxine Waters' comments

Judge Cahill said: "I give you that congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this trial being overturned."
    The judge said he wished "elected officials would stop talking about this case, especially in a manner that is disrespectful to the rule of law". "Their failure to do so is abhorrent," he added.
    However, Judge Cahill dismissed Mr Nelson's motion for a mistrial, saying Ms Waters' "opinion really doesn't matter a whole lot".

• TukaiTukai Shipmate
    I presume that he was found guilty on 3 charges for the same action is a legal strategy to ensure Chauvin still goes to jail, even if an appeal court upholds an appeal against 1 (or even 2) of the charges.
    I don’t think that strategy can be used here in Australia , though my family lawyer tells me that a person can be charged with murder, found not guilty of that , but convicted of manslaughter without having to go to a separate trial.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    I am still wondering if there was anything in the previous connection between Chauvin and Floyd in an earlier employment.
    But a great sense of relief in the verdict.
  • EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    Ruth wrote: »
    Nancy Pelosi needs to retire. She said, "Thank you, George Floyd, for sacrificing your life for justice, for being there to call out to your mom - how heart-breaking was that? - call out for your mom: 'I can't breathe.' But because of you and because of thousands, millions of people around the world who came out for justice, your name will always be synonymous with justice."

He didn't sacrifice his life. He was murdered.

"It is expedient that one man die for the people".

The difficulty is that those involved in this kind of case come to serve as actors playing out a drama in the national psyche. They become canvases onto which our social suffering, fears, and aspirations are painted.
    Penny S wrote: »
    I am still wondering if there was anything in the previous connection between Chauvin and Floyd in an earlier employment.
    But a great sense of relief in the verdict.

Incidental, individual elements that are perhaps crucial to how events actually went down, perhaps such as those @Penny S mentions, get swept away in the metanarrative, important though that metanarrative may be.

At the end of the day this depersonalises both perpetrator and victim.

The verdict is deserved and necessary, but Chauvin's individual responsibility and person should not be confused with all the symbolism he is being made to embody.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    KarlLB wrote: »
    That may be true if you're the sort of person who regularly takes part in online forums with people on the egalitarian side of the culture wars. That doesn't I think apply to everybody.

• Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    Of this reduced budget, the police need to put more funding into training their officers in less hostile, non-confrontational interactions with the public and using restraint methods only to the extent necessary and less into firearms practice. They need training in how to defuse rather than ramp up confrontations.

The MPD need urgent assessment of each of their officers to root out the jackboot types who much prefer using their position and uniform as a free pass to brutalise people. Giving quick-tempered bullies a uniform, a weapon and protection (usually) of the law doesn't help keep the peace. Anyone who prefers to use violence (only when they have the upper hand!) to peaceful methods doesn't belong in law enforcement.

Maybe working in an abbatoir would suit these misfits better.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    edited April 2021
    Tukai wrote: »
    I presume that he was found guilty on 3 charges for the same action is a legal strategy to ensure Chauvin still goes to jail, even if an appeal court upholds an appeal against 1 (or even 2) of the charges.
    I don’t think that strategy can be used here in Australia , though my family lawyer tells me that a person can be charged with murder, found not guilty of that , but convicted of manslaughter without having to go to a separate trial.

Pretty much yes. The US system frequently involves throwing a whole raft of charges rather than picking just one. The options for employing that approach in Australia are far more limited.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that none of the charges against Chauvin were based on seeking to prove he had an intent to kill. They were all based on recklessness or gross negligence (intent to kill is not necessary for murder, sufficient reckless disregard for life will also qualify).
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    In England and Wales a person can be convicted of a lesser crime for which all of the elements necessary to impose liability are also elements found in a more serious crime.

So not guilty of murder can still be found guilty of manslaughter, or not guilty of robbery can still be found guilty of assault. In England and Wales it is known as an alternative verdict.
  • Yes, for those outside the UK, a good example of this was the PC Andrew Harper case recently (PC Harper was dragged to his death behind a vehicle, having caught his foot in the tow strap it was trailing). The charge was murder (quite why I'm not sure, I can't see any jury that could convict on that charge unless the parties charged had actually tied him into the tow strap), the parties were found not guilty on that charge but guilty of manslaughter.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Pretty much yes. The US system frequently involves throwing a whole raft of charges rather than picking just one. The options for employing that approach in Australia are far more limited.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that none of the charges against Chauvin were based on seeking to prove he had an intent to kill. They were all based on recklessness or gross negligence (intent to kill is not necessary for murder, sufficient reckless disregard for life will also qualify).

The range of intents which can be proven in NSW include "reckless indifference to human life", and the facts reported has occurred here a jury would certainly be able to reach such a finding. That intent, and variations on it, appear in legislation in other jurisdictions.
  • GarethMoon wrote: »
    Unfortunately he's certain to appeal and, potentially could get a a complete retrial due to Improper Influence due to Representative Maxine Waters' comments

Unfortunately Mrs. Waters is not the first elected official to feel that it is perfectly acceptable to incite violence, regardless of how just the cause. As we all too well remember.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    And then I woke up to this on the national news this morning:
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/us/ohio-columbus-police-shooting-15-year-old/index.html
  • That looks like a fairly typical example of a case where you would hope that different training and a different approach from the cops might work better.

A cop arrives on the scene, in his patrol car, to find several high school age girls having some kind of fight in a residential area. He gets out of his car, walks over to the girls saying "Hey, what's going on?", sees one girl with a knife attempting to slash / stab at another girl, and shoots and kills the girl with the knife.

So on one side of the ledger, the cop has prevented injury to the victim of the knife attack. On the other side, the girl with the knife is dead. Should the cop have stood back and allowed the victim girl to be stabbed, assuming that the stabbing would probably not be fatal, and that with a bit more time and some blood on the ground, the attacker might have calmed down?

The video shows a chaotic fight scene - one girl is on the floor being kicked in the head by a young man in a grey hoodie; the girl who was shot is swinging at a girl in hot pink with a knife, and there are a couple of other young people looking on.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    edited April 2021
    That looks like a fairly typical example of a case where you would hope that different training and a different approach from the cops might work better.

A cop arrives on the scene, in his patrol car, to find several high school age girls having some kind of fight in a residential area. He gets out of his car, walks over to the girls saying "Hey, what's going on?", sees one girl with a knife attempting to slash / stab at another girl, and shoots and kills the girl with the knife.

So on one side of the ledger, the cop has prevented injury to the victim of the knife attack. On the other side, the girl with the knife is dead. Should the cop have stood back and allowed the victim girl to be stabbed, assuming that the stabbing would probably not be fatal, and that with a bit more time and some blood on the ground, the attacker might have calmed down?

The video shows a chaotic fight scene - one girl is on the floor being kicked in the head by a young man in a grey hoodie; the girl who was shot is swinging at a girl in hot pink with a knife, and there are a couple of other young people looking on.

A great deal of fault lies in habitually arming police officers.

Arming traffic cops? Why?

If the police officer in question had no gun they’d have to find a way to calm the situation and save the threatened girl.

Tazer? Restraint? They are well trained in other methods, not just shooting.
  • Tukai wrote: »

It’s not just a question of what an appeal court will do but also what the jury will decide. If the prosecution has a proper basis to proceed on both more serious and less serious charges for the same action then it may make sense to do so as it will never be possible to predict exactly how the evidence will come out at trial - or what the jury will make of it.

In Canadian law you don’t have to charge a less serious charge separately if it’s considered lesser and included for the more serious charge. So in Canada manslaughter is a lesser and included offence for murder - it’s basically the result if the prosecution proves that the accused unlawfully killed the victim but fails to prove intent to kill. Minnesota obviously carves up these offences differently because one of the offences that Chauvin was convicted of was unintentional murder, which is an oxymoron in Canadian law (and I suspect elsewhere as well, but I don’t know offhand).

That said, the grounds of appeal seem to be alleging that the trial was rendered unfair because of publicity and as a matter of logic this could potentially affect the convictions on all three counts.

• Boogie wrote: »
    Arming traffic cops? Why?

It's a fair question. I think US cops would be rather resistant to the idea that they should make traffic stops without being armed. You know that US culture heavily buys in to the power of the gun - lots of people carry a gun for self-defence, or have a gun to defend their home. So I'd be pretty sure that a typical cop would feel safer making a traffic stop if they had a gun.

In the last week or so, I've seen news reports of a "traffic cop" pursuing and killing an armed robber, and of another "traffic cop" being killed after having made a routine stop of someone who turned out to be a drug dealer with an AR-15.

It might be true that cops would be safer in traffic stops if they didn't have weapons, and were known to not have weapons, but I think it would be quite difficult to convince the cops of that, just like it's difficult to convince ordinary Americans who carry guns for self-defence that their gun might not actually be increasing their personal safety,
    Boogie wrote: »
    Tazer? Restraint? They are well trained in other methods, not just shooting.

I don't think a single cop by themselves can wade in to a street fight like that. Partly, this is an issue of the cop being armed. An armed cop cannot lose control of their weapon, which means that a single cop can't grapple with someone in that kind of environment.

And partly, it's an issue of officer safety: a single cop without backup wading in to the middle of a street fight? What are the chances that the warring parties forget their differences and gang up on the cop?

Accepting the clarity that one obtains from "Monday Morning Quarterbacking", it would seem that a Taser would have been a good option here, if the cop had one. Did the cop have one? My understanding is that all cops carry guns, but not all police forces routinely issue tasers to all their cops.

But I think these are absolutely the right questions to ask.

This is not a case where there will be charges against the cop. It's clear to me that the cop did a defensible thing. But it is a thing that resulted in a young black woman being killed, and we should absolutely be asking questions about what other choices the cop could have made, and whether they would have worked out better.