To Both Barnabas and BroJames

Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
Barnabas

I posted my reply to your comment to Marin54 in the Israeli/Palestine thread because I thought it was unfair to him without placing his comment in context with what was actually said.

BroJames, your reply to me also continues the tangent.

Lately, it seems both of you have been monitoring Martin54 a little too closely. In so doing you are losing the context of his comments. Keep it fair, guys.

Comments

• Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    Be reassured Gramps49. If you’d posted “cannibal Zairean allies” I’d have picked you up on it. That was the tangent and, on the face of it, the racist allusion. Anyway I gave Martin some benefit of the doubt about that, just asked him to be more careful.

Happy to hear from Martin why he used a phrase which on the face of it was racist. The long running strifes in the Congo and in Angola were messy and complicated and often horrible. Angola had more than its fair share of nations intervening on the side of one faction or another for various self interested reasons.

Plus I know there were some allegations of cannibalism in Zaire in the first decade of the 21st century involving a couple of terrorist groups there.

But “cannibal Zairean allies” looks at best to be a pretty selective extract from that complicated, messy and often horrible history. At least to me anyway.

If Martin has an explanation for his choice of words, that’s great. I wasn’t picking on him.

• Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    And here’s a link to my host post.

I stand by my judgment that his post amounted to a personal attack. I think it recognised the context which led him to post as he did.

The previous time I interacted as a Host with Martin was a fortnight before.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Coo! Er, thanks @Gramps49 and @Barnabas62 and @BroJames. And my apologies for precipitating this.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    You are a rainmaker, Martin.