Ice Hockey

CaissaCaissa Shipmate
My Montreal Canadiens have made it to the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time since they won the Cup in 1993. This is the first time a Canadian team has been in the finals since Vancouver in 2011.
https://www.tsn.ca/artturi-lehkonen-montreal-canadiens-stanley-cup-final-vegas-golden-knights-1.1659900

Comments

  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Seattle looks to be getting a new team soon, but I'm not sure which season. The Seattle Metropolitans were, of course, winners of the first-ever Stanley Cup, before the NHL was formed. Our new team will be The Kraken.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The Kraken begin next season. The first time the Stanley Cup was awarded was to the Montreal AAA in 1893. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Cup_champions
  • Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.

    What other chauvinism you got?
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.

    What other chauvinism you got?

    The NHL is a money-making business, and thus can be expected to market the game anywhere people are willing to watch it. And no one in the more tropical climates is obligated to forego fanship out of deference to the sensibilities of people in colder locales who feel some sort of "moral ownership" of the game.

    If northerners don't like southward expansion, they're free to stop watching NHL games entirely and wait for some entrepreneur start up a Snow Belt Hockey League, with regulations specifying no franchises south of Philadelphia(let's say). It would probably work toward giving fans a greater sense of camraderie-via-competition.

  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    All that said, as a non-fan raised in the culture, I will say there is something a little aesthetically jarring about people in eg. Tampa Bay going to watch a Stanley Cup in what I assume is the sweltering heat of a Gulf Coast June. Not much I can do about it, though.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Gentle Hostly Oink

    I assume that in the OP, @Caissa intended this to be a thread about the game of ice hockey in rather the same vein as the threads about football, cricket, rugby, tennis and so on are.

    If you want to turn it into a North-South slanging match, or indeed one about the semantics of the game's nomenclature, you've all been on the Ship for long enough to know that this isn't the place.

    Thank you.

    Piglet, Circus host
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    stetson wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.

    What other chauvinism you got?

    The NHL is a money-making business, and thus can be expected to market the game anywhere people are willing to watch it. And no one in the more tropical climates is obligated to forego fanship out of deference to the sensibilities of people in colder locales who feel some sort of "moral ownership" of the game.

    If northerners don't like southward expansion, they're free to stop watching NHL games entirely and wait for some entrepreneur start up a Snow Belt Hockey League, with regulations specifying no franchises south of Philadelphia(let's say). It would probably work toward giving fans a greater sense of camraderie-via-competition.

    What in what I said does this refer to?
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    stetson wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.

    What other chauvinism you got?

    The NHL is a money-making business, and thus can be expected to market the game anywhere people are willing to watch it. And no one in the more tropical climates is obligated to forego fanship out of deference to the sensibilities of people in colder locales who feel some sort of "moral ownership" of the game.

    If northerners don't like southward expansion, they're free to stop watching NHL games entirely and wait for some entrepreneur start up a Snow Belt Hockey League, with regulations specifying no franchises south of Philadelphia(let's say). It would probably work toward giving fans a greater sense of camraderie-via-competition.

    What in what I said does this refer to?
    I took him to be responding to @Caissa by adding to what you said.

  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited June 28
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    stetson wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.

    What other chauvinism you got?

    The NHL is a money-making business, and thus can be expected to market the game anywhere people are willing to watch it. And no one in the more tropical climates is obligated to forego fanship out of deference to the sensibilities of people in colder locales who feel some sort of "moral ownership" of the game.

    If northerners don't like southward expansion, they're free to stop watching NHL games entirely and wait for some entrepreneur start up a Snow Belt Hockey League, with regulations specifying no franchises south of Philadelphia(let's say). It would probably work toward giving fans a greater sense of camraderie-via-competition.

    What in what I said does this refer to?
    I took him to be responding to @Caissa by adding to what you said.

    Well, the response was to NoProphet, but otherwise, you're correct, I was augmenting Mousethief's point.

    (And that's assuming NoProphet was seriously admonishing sun-belters for having NHL teams. If he was just sorta jocularly observing that it seems kind of weird to northerners, as I say, I will concur.)
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    stetson wrote: »
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    stetson wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    Forgive me. But there's only hockey on ice. And forgive me again: if you don't have kids playing hockey in the streets and there's snow around, your city shouldn't have an NHL team.

    What other chauvinism you got?

    The NHL is a money-making business, and thus can be expected to market the game anywhere people are willing to watch it. And no one in the more tropical climates is obligated to forego fanship out of deference to the sensibilities of people in colder locales who feel some sort of "moral ownership" of the game.

    If northerners don't like southward expansion, they're free to stop watching NHL games entirely and wait for some entrepreneur start up a Snow Belt Hockey League, with regulations specifying no franchises south of Philadelphia(let's say). It would probably work toward giving fans a greater sense of camraderie-via-competition.

    What in what I said does this refer to?
    I took him to be responding to @Caissa by adding to what you said.

    Well, the response was to NoProphet, but otherwise, you're correct, I was augmenting Mousethief's point.
    Duh, of course. Apologies to @Caissa and @NOprophet_NØprofit.

  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    As soon as you start playing hockey indoors on man-made ice, the latitude of the home ice immediately matters shit.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The Stanley Cup remains in the US for a 28th straight year. Tampa Bay beat Montreal in game 5 to win the best of seven series 4-1.
  • Yes indeed. I'm hankering after old times. When we used to take a bus trip to watch NHL. And the bus trip cost more than the tickets to games.

    On the theme of old timey hockey, the National Film Board has free streaming of "The Sweater". If it doesn't stream for you let me know. https://www.nfb.ca/film/sweater/
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I have seen that NFB short many times. It's masterful.
Sign In or Register to comment.