Welcome - Ahoy landlubbers

On signing in I am welcomed by "Ahoy landlubber"

Anyone else find the latter word divisive and irritable? I know it's meant as a welcome but it comes over as a bit twee at best and carries undertones of them/us that seem inappropriate. "Newbies" also.

Time for a change?

Comments

• SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    Yes and yes
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    I don’t think I had ever noticed to be honest. But also, if everyone is greeted with it, who are we being divided from ?
  • I like it... it makes me smile. So much better than the bland "You're not logged in" that you'd find on most sites. A nice nod to the concept of a Ship.

YMMV of course.

AFZ
    I don’t think I had ever noticed to be honest. But also, if everyone is greeted with it, who are we being divided from ?

Those on the outer, of course

“Landlubber” has long been used as an excluding and perjorative term by those as fancy themselves as mariners

Mind you the them/us mindset is alive and well once on board
  • I do notice, because I have the laptop set up to kill cookies on exit and have to sign in every time I use the laptop to come online. But I don't find it irritating or offensive, it just goes with the Ship idiom that is all over the boards. I was immersed in a sailing community and Swallows and Amazons as a child, so to me it's just a turn of phrase heard fairly regularly.
    Have also heard since childhood (60+ years ago) and as a non-inmersee I found it as irritating then as I do now

One’s mileage does indeed vary….
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate

Anyone else find the latter word divisive and irritable?
    Not at all.

• tclunetclune Shipmate
    edited June 26
    Perhaps we should post a trigger warning. ;)
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate

Anyone else find the latter word divisive and irritable? I know it's meant as a welcome but it comes over as a bit twee at best and carries undertones of them/us that seem inappropriate. "Newbies" also.

Time for a change?

No, and No.

Neither divisive nor irritable, merely a term to describe people unfamiliar with shipboardlife - in fact, IMHO, entirely appropriate.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I never saw it as offensive. But if we want to be politically correct, we could use "landsman" as Gilbert and Sullivan did. Although someone will say, "What about 'landswoman' or 'landsperson'?"
  • LandlubberLandlubber Shipmate
    You called?

(It wasn’t as ubiquitous on the Old Ship when I looked for a name, but now I like the attention :smile: )
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I kind of like it. It gives a flavor to the ship.
  • Not a problem in the least. There are bigger problems.
  • Landlubber is a nautical insult. Insults may be acceptable in Hell but not elsewhere. Landlubber plays the person not the ball. Banned elsewhere - so consistency?
  • Checking the dictionary entries, none I've just checked online described landlubber is insulting or derogatory, just that it referred to a person unfamiliar with boats and the sea.

Can you point to a source that backs your assertion that landlubber is an insult?
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited June 27
    I think it may be true that landlubber was originally an insult, but I think that in most contexts and to most people, it lost that insulting quality a long time ago. I’d say the word is now considered more humorous or cartoonish, in a Talk-Like-a-Pirate-Day sort of way.

• Actually, Wiktionary (FWIW) does indicate that it is (or might be) derogatory:

Noun
    landlubber (plural landlubbers)

(nautical, derogatory) Someone unfamiliar with the sea or seamanship, especially a novice seaman.
    Synonym: lubber
    Coordinate term: landsman

My italics.

Again, FWIW, I don't find it offensive in any way, but mildly humorous - and I live on a small motorship...
  • I also looked at my paper dictionaries, and one, of several, labelled the word derogatory, the others did not. So it seems as if dictionaries are not all convinced whether or not landlubber is derogatory.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Landlubber is a nautical insult. Insults may be acceptable in Hell but not elsewhere. Landlubber plays the person not the ball. Banned elsewhere - so consistency?

OK, so do you seriously that some nebulous ship entity looks down on you for not being a mariner ? Is that really what you believe is happening ?
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Landlubber is a nautical insult. Insults may be acceptable in Hell but not elsewhere. Landlubber plays the person not the ball. Banned elsewhere - so consistency?

I've never heard it used as an insult.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    I would object to the inaccuracy. Once someone joins the ship they're a sailor.
    Or an officer
    Seldom do people go from landlubber to officer without first being a sailor. The bridge of the ship generally commissions from within.
    Many an officer is commissioned bypassing sailor; in fact to go from sailor to officer is the exception not the rule
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Sojourner wrote: »
    Many an officer is commissioned bypassing sailor; in fact to go from sailor to officer is the exception not the rule

At least in a navy.
  • FWIW I have head Landlubber used in a derogatory sense in yachting/sailing circles.
    For all avoidance of doubt why not omit the term altogether. We do this with many other words.Why not simply change to "Welcome aboard friend?"
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Because it’s more fun to continue with the Shipley conceit?

MMM
    Sojourner wrote: »

We're talking about the Ship of Fools using the navy as a metaphor. It doesn't matter what happens in the navy. My comment was about the SOF, not any other ship.
    Nothing like stating the bleeding obvious…
    Some people apparently need it.
  • Perhaps "Hello Sailor"? :innocent:
  • I like that.

On the other hand I have no objection to landlubber. To me it sounds jokey and piratey and not the least bit offensive. Like if someone called me a dastardly blackguard, it's just too archaic to be serious.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    This. I'd rather like being called a varlet or a scurvy dog, and think wishfully of the days when we used to have such knaves walk the plank. The tot of rum was nice as well.