The "naked in church" dream

MooMoo Kerygmania Host
Many people have dreams about being naked in church or other public places. I am curious about the similarities and differences of different people's dreams. In my dreams no one else appears to notice that I am naked. I hesitate to do anything to partially conceal my nakedness for fear of drawing attention to it.

What are your dreams like?

Comments

• Not naked in church, thank God, though definitely in a whole lot of other places, mostly very crowded. And yes, nobody else seems to be taking much notice (or if they do, they don't care), but I'm trying to act casual lest they start.

I also have the standard "registered for a course and never showed up and it's FINALS DAY today" dreams, though I've been out of school for twenty years.

And for some reason, tons of architectural dreams. Dreams where I'm walking through buildings endlessly, and none of them are my home or anybody else's, just building after building after building.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I, and other librarians I know, have the "library dream". It's closing time but people won't leave, More and more keep coming in. In these covid times, when we require a mask for entrance, most of them aren't wearing one.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Given the average age of our congregation, I'm glad that all attend adequately covered.
  • WandererWanderer Shipmate
    I regularly have the naked dream but in church, no. At work, on the high street of my childhood home town, just walking outside somewhere, yes. I also had one where I was at work wearing *just *a t-shirt.
    Each time I notice people looking at me oddly (often before I realise why they are looking at me like that) but I decide to brazen it out and act as if nothing is wrong. I think it is supposed to be about the fear of people seeing you as you really are.
    I do have many dreams that feature churches. Sometimes a service is going on, sometimes I am just looking at the architecture. Recent ones (no doubt because I don't think I will be going to back to my increasingly non liturgical far more evo than me my C of E church after Covid) seem to involve me going to church for a service but then something completely different happens such as denouncing someone in front of everyone which everyone there apart from me seems fine with.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I also have the standard "registered for a course and never showed up and it's FINALS DAY today" dreams, though I've been out of school for twenty years.

Going on fifty in my case, but (increasingly?) I have dreams that I should be at school, or taking an exam, but I haven't done the work. Only the other night I must take another degree, starting tomorrow.

I'm reminded of those studio portraits of great-grandmothers in bombazine and bonnets and hefting a large Bible which always makes me think Swotting for their Finals.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited July 29
    I don’t remember my dreams. The only dream I have remembered in the last 30 years was the one that tipped me into a psychosis about 10 years ago; I assume it was an instance of what is called dream reality confusion.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Shipmate
    edited July 29
    The only time I have had "naked in church" dreams was prior to my wedding in when I had a recurring dream that I forgot to put my wedding dress etc on, and walked down the aisle naked, to the horror of the congregation, all of whom were whispering and giggling.

My mother was getting very anxious about my appearance prior to my wedding - she was oddly worried that the NE Man is only three inches taller than me, a difference which is wiped out if I wear heels. For some reason Mum desperately wanted my husband to appear taller than me. I think this fed into my "naked walking down the aisle" dreams.

Last week I woke up in a panic at 3am, convinced that I had forgotten something very important. Gradually the dream came back to me - I had been accused of witchcraft, had been summonsed to appear before the Kirk Session and I had forgotten to compear.

(My computer put a red line under "compear" so I googled and apparently it's an obsolete Scottish legal term, although I thought it was still in everyday use. Every day is a school day. Compearing before the Kirk Session means turning up in person, you can also compear before a judge in a court of law.)

Anyway, having remembered my dream I went back to sleep unworried. Then at breakfast the North East Man told me that I wouldn't have had that dream if there wasn't actually something Really Important which I had forgotten. :(
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Yes, I have that one; either to do with Finals or a maths exam. I also sometimes dream I'm in a play, in the wings waiting to go on, and suddenly remember I haven't learnt any lines. I had that one quite recently.

I also have a recurring dream about looking after small animals (and occasionally a baby - not usually mine) and I know exactly how to care for them but the people around me keep getting in my way and not providing me with what I need to do the job properly.

I find dreams fascinating. I know I dream every night; I don't always remember what the dreams were, but often I do and I frequently have vivid, detailed and very colourful dreams. At times I write them down and find that in the writing I realise something I've been thinking about or feeling comes to the surface in a way it hadn't before. I did quite a lot of work with dreams when I was seeing a counsellor.

@North East Quine , is the North East Man trying to tell you something? Have you forgotten a birthday or an anniversary or something? :wink:
  • I do sometimes dream about being in church - usually Our Place (though not always looking quite the same as IRL), but I am always neatly attired (or at least attired).

A frequent dream - most nights, I think - is my *Ambulance Dream*, where I'm back in greens (the uniform) and out on the road, sometimes with former crewmates I recognise, and others who are complete strangers!

Last night, however, I was driving (in a car, in civvies) down a very narrow street in Oslo, and was stopped by a Norwegian plain-clothes copper (well, it would have been odd if he hadn't been Norwegian) and asked to explain what I was doing.

I have no recollection of my answer, but I woke up in Arkland, not in an Oslo prison, so it must have been satisfactory...
  • Nenya wrote: »
    @North East Quine , is the North East Man trying to tell you something? Have you forgotten a birthday or an anniversary or something? :wink:

Apparently I forgot his 57 1/2 birthday in June, but I don't think that would have been bothering my subconscious.

• TelfordTelford Shipmate
    My dreams never make any sense and nudity is never an issue. Being properly dressed is an issue though

A common theme is the need to urinate and the inability to find somewhere suitable to go. The situation is only solved by me waking up.
  • Re exam. Environmental chemistry. I signed up for this course in 2nd year univ and never attended, dropping it before penalty date. I dream of being at the final exam 40 years later several times per year. Haunted by this. It's amazing what things give my brain indigestion.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 29
    Telford wrote: »

A common theme is the need to urinate and the inability to find somewhere suitable to go. The situation is only solved by me waking up.

:lol:
    A sign of increasing age, I'm afraid. I know whereof you speak.

• TelfordTelford Shipmate
    Telford wrote: »

:lol:
    A sign of increasing age, I'm afraid. I know whereof you speak.

Tis true
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    My last vivid dream was of my sister and a brother-in-law being instrumental in locking Boris J in the Tower of London
  • LolaLola Shipmate Posts: 47
    edited July 29
    I’ve never dreamed of public nudity but oh my goodness the number of times I have been sitting down to take my English A level and realised that I have not read any of the books.

I’ve also never really wondered why I’ve never dreamed about any other subject until now!

I also regularly dream about trying to run away from a tidal wave - I find this dream very distressing.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Lola wrote: »
    I’ve never dreamed of public nudity but oh my goodness the number of times I have been sitting down to take my English A level and realised that I have not read any of the books.

My version of the neglectful-student dream usually doesn't even get to the exams. Basically, I'm just walking through the halls of my school/university, and I think to myself "Holy crap, I've been registered in a math class for months now, and I haven't gone once. I don't even know when the exam is!"

Interestingly, I did have a class that was sorta like that in my first or second year: it was an intro psych course that you could pretty much pass just by reading the textbook, so I ended up attending exactly six classes all semester, and did, in fact, come relatively close to missing an exam.

On one of the days that I did show up, the prof lectured about drugs(the illegal kind) and their effect on the brain. Even though I had never actually taken any of the drugs under discussion, it somehow seemed like a fitting encapsulation of my whole approach to the class.

• Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    I, and other librarians I know, have the "library dream". It's closing time but people won't leave, More and more keep coming in. In these covid times, when we require a mask for entrance, most of them aren't wearing one.

Yes, I’ve had that dream so many times. Since I’ve retired the frequency is diminishing.
    I’ve also had the one when I’m getting married having forgotten to put my dress on.
    Also dreamed several times that I’m giving birth; I usually wake with a tummy ache.
    More recently, in these holiday-deprived times, I often dream that I’m exploring a hotel and an unfamiliar city.
    Thinking of the All Saints thread about taking a break from church...

I seem to have the opposite problem, as exemplified by a recurring dream in which I seem to wake up ready to attend services at a local Unitarian congregation, only to then wake up for real and realize that I am in a country that quite likely has no Unitarian churches, and certainly none within commuting distance of me.

(I know of at least one liberal Presbyterian church where I'd probably feel comfortable, but my pathetic Korean language skills would render the service mostly incomprehensible to me, and anyway a Unitarian identity is for some reason rather important to me.)
  • Lola wrote: »

I’ve also never really wondered why I’ve never dreamed about any other subject until now!

I also regularly dream about trying to run away from a tidal wave - I find this dream very distressing.

I used to do the tidal wave. Lived not far from the ocean, too--how about you?
    Not really. It’s quite vivid and usually takes place on a huge sandy beach where there is a gap in the dunes that my family and I are trying to make it through and which is quite unlike the nearest coastline.

It did once completely mutate and I was trying to get away in a little car with my husband’s family on a wide and lonely marshland - think Pip and Magwitch at the start of Great Expectations. Am I secretly suppressing some kind of massive agoraphobia?!
  • Rather like the "librarian" dream I have "teacher" dreams.

1. I realise I am supposed to be teaching a class right now that I have forgotten about and am now late for (I had that dream just this morning)
    2. I am teaching a class that is going out of control and none of the things I normally do in this situation seem to work (haven't had that one for a few months)
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    I once had a dream where I was pregnant and beginning to go into labor. I had not seen a doctor during the entire pregnancy nor made any hospital arrangements. I was standing in a public phone booth trying to get someone at a hospital to help me. They were intent on telling me that I should have made arrangements long before.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    I don't recall ever having a "naked" dream. I have had quite a number of the "exam" dreams (takign an exam for a course I never went to). I am also prone to "flying" dreams--where I am on a roof and need to escape by flying...usually with me launching myself into the air while thinking "I hope this works!" Hands down the weirdest version was one where I was a superhero who could fly but, to become the flying hero, I had to change from male to female...and then I was pestered by people trying to grab my legs as I flew over them.

Before anybody tries, I really really really really really really really really DON'T want to know what that means psychologically!!!!!

But the large majority of my dreams are boring conversations. I have quipped more than once that my dreams tend to be so boring that they would put me to sleep...except, of course, they are dreams and I am already asleep. Quite a time-saver, really.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Used to have naked while preaching dreams. I talked to my homiletics prof. He said it is quite common for newer preachers to have that type of dream. Has to do with lack of confidence, but he said as one's confidence builds they tend to go away.
  • That's kinda hilarious. Must ask Mr Lamb if he has those...

I also have the multiple tornadoes dream, where they are basically giant fingers reaching down to get me. For some odd reason, I never seem to be as alarmed as I should be.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Just this evening, I was talking to Daughter-Unit and her dear hubby. We were describing our school dreams in which we don't know where the classroom is, can't read our schedules, can't find our lockers, or if we do find them, can't remember the combination! Amazingly similar dreams!
  • Telford wrote: »
    Be grateful.
    I once had that dream as a teen, so 60 years ago, in a house with no indoor WC. I dreamt I had used my shoe.
    Unfortunately I had acted out the dream without waking.

jedijudy wrote: »
    Just this evening, I was talking to Daughter-Unit and her dear hubby. We were describing our school dreams in which we don't know where the classroom is, can't read our schedules, can't find our lockers, or if we do find them, can't remember the combination! Amazingly similar dreams!

Perhaps it's because, for at least 12 years of most peoples' lives, school is the main source of stress and regimentation, so it remains the symbolic milieu through which similar feelings are represented throughout life.
  • It's remarkable the way the brain works with metaphors and idiom as we sleep - at random, I remember during a very difficult time at work, a dream in which I was smashing my head against a wall at my old school. This seemed not painful enough for my poor abused brain, which equipped the wall with a spike.

Once a year or so I have a very disturbing dream in which something very large, amorphous and evil sweeps upon me at great speed, 'possesses' me, and makes me howl in a way I am powerless to prevent. I normally wake shaking and making a very strange, loud noise. If I were a member of a certain kind of church, I imagine letting on to this would make me the focus of some concern. I might add I don't even read the newspaper horoscopes - perhaps a solid healthy fear of the occult is what the dream is about.
  • Hmm. Sounds as if you've been reading an eldritch tale by H P Lovecraft, or one of his circle, but if it's only once a year...
    :confused:
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    I have never had a dream about showing up naked anywhere, but I'm very fond of dreams as I think they're often a good way of giving you a hint of what you're subconsciously concerned about (sometimes. Other times they are a pure mishmash of random stuff like the last two movies you watched, or something even more obscure).

I've had a few dreams that have lingered with me all my life, and the one that was probably closest to the classic "unprepared/inappropriately dressed for this situation" dream came during my first year of teaching. I felt woefully unprepared for most aspects of my job and, as I was only a year or two older than many of my students, often felt (and sometimes was told!) that I was not acting with proper professionalism and decorum, was too informal with students, etc.

We were getting a visit from the Superintendent of Education -- one of those inspection visits they sometimes do (did?) to schools to drop in on classrooms and terrify teachers. I had been warned about this sometime in advance. One night during the week the superintendent was supposed to sit in on my class, I dreamed that he had come into the school and found me, not in my classroom but in the main office, lying on top of the photocopier somewhat like a lounge singer on a grand piano, clad only in a lacy and revealing slip.
  • :smiley:

I get the "unprepared" dreams reliably before a major change like a new job. The rest of the time it's the book I read the night before (careful, there) or else endless journeying through uninspiring architecture, which is such a transparent metaphor for my daily life that :hurls:.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Trudy wrote: »
    We were getting a visit from the Superintendent of Education -- one of those inspection visits they sometimes do (did?) to schools to drop in on classrooms and terrify teachers. I had been warned about this sometime in advance. One night during the week the superintendent was supposed to sit in on my class, I dreamed that he had come into the school and found me, not in my classroom but in the main office, lying on top of the photocopier somewhat like a lounge singer on a grand piano, clad only in a lacy and revealing slip.

And what was his assessment of you? Anxious minds need to know.
  • (I want to imagine he sang it...'gunpowder, gelatine, dynamite with a laser beam...' :smile: )
    I have just awoken from an instance of the classic frustration dream. I am in a sewing class and we have an uninspiring brief to make something from tweed. I have an off cut of my wedding dress (which is black and white) and three other bolts of fabric in plain colours. I decide on double-sided coasters. I go rummage in the cupboards to find something the right size and shape to use as a pattern. And I cannot find it. Or if I do, it disappears, or someone takes it and puts a drink in it, or by the time I take it back to my bench it has morphed into something else.

The class finishes and I have achieved nothing.

The symbolic implications are overwhelming frankly.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    That does sound distressing @Firenze .

Yes - I'm keen to hear the finale of @Trudy 's dream too!

This thread has reminded me of a vivid and helpful dream I had during my last 18 months of work. They weren't happy months - the location of the office had moved, the job had changed, the ethos of the whole organisation was changing, and most of the time I felt overwhelmed and unfit for the task. One night I dreamed I was in the path of an oncoming train, powerless to move, and when I looked about in desperation to see if I had anything at all that could help me all I had in my hand was a stick. I thought, "What use is that?" but when I looked at it again I realised it was one of those crafted wooden implements they used In The Old Days to move the points on a railway track to change the direction of the train. So, right at the last minute, I moved the points and the train shot by, just avoiding me.

I knew this was work-related and on days when I felt overwhelmed I thought of it and reminded myself that I was equipped for the task even though I didn't feel it, and was not going to be mowed down by the oncoming train. It was one of the things that got me through that last 18 months.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    A variation on the unprepared for an exam dream is one I have relatively frequently, where it is coming to the end of the school year, and I am worried because I have taught no maths to the class. I wonder whether people will believe me if I say we have done a lot of verbal work, and just not written it down...
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    For some reason I regularly dream about having to sit A levels and not being able to remember any of the content - which is bizarre as they didn’t worry me at the time. I was far more stressed by Finals but never dream about those. However, I do dream about being back at uni and getting lost in the corridors. Usually I remember that over 35 years have passed since then, so my brain then starts to invent some back story about why I’m there.

I used to have the tidal wave dream - variations on this included being on the edge of a cliff, or struggling up a steep shingle beach with the tide rapidly coming in.

Before any exams I used to dream about being on a high bookshelf and in danger of falling off. Sometimes the bookshelves were normal size and I was tiny; other times the bookshelves would stretch right up to the ceiling of a large hall.

And the urination dream is probably more frequent than any of those now! Usually I find a toilet but there’s some reason why I can’t use it. I suppose this is my subconscious helpfully preventing me actually wetting the bed.
  • I'm really enjoying these. You made me remember the one where I am (I think I can say this without outing myself, but on here you never know) making noise measurements for a certain music festival, with a view to demonstrating their compliance with local authority license conditions and ensuring such breaches are swiftly controlled - this used to be part of my job in RL. And it gets to the last day and I realise I just have not been arsed enough to get the sound level meter out of the box. I start to wonder what I am going to put in the report.

Now I look at that, in the context of this thread, I wonder if I am anticipating an awkward meeting with the chief EHO, err, up-there.

@Nenya , I really liked your train one. If I had dreamt it, I would have known that the stick was meant for changing points, but on applying it to the task they would have been seized solid / stick would somehow have failed to enter the required socket (uh-huh) / stick would have gone floppy as soon as I tried to heave on it (uh-huh-huh). Cue sweaty, hard-breathing awakening.
  • WandererWanderer Shipmate
    @Nenya I am glad your dream gave you a sense of agency in your work situation.
    I had one which emphasised my sense that a temporary situation at my work felt out of control. I am a hospital receptionist in a busy outpatients department and at the time of my dream we had lost a capable member of the admin team and had gone several months without being able to find a suitable replacement for her. So the remaining members of the team, especially me as the most experienced, were having to cover that work too. IRL I tried unsuccessfully for some time to learn to drive but never managed to reach a standard good enough to even take the test let alone pass. So any dreams I have that involve me driving tend to be not very subtle metaphors for me not in control. Anyway, in this particular dream I was driving my reception desk up the A30. I had arrived at work and sat behind the desk as normal but then I suddenly found it hurtling up the A30. It was equipped with a steering wheel (where the computer would normally be) and pedals but none of the pedals were a brake! I could steer and accelerate but I had no means of stopping! I was careering through the traffic getting more and more worried about how, if ever, I would come to a halt. Would there be an accident? Would other people get hurt? There was no in-dream resolution to this, I just woke up. Fortunately we were able to to take on another member of staff soon after and I did not have such a dream again.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Sadly, i cannot remember if there was any ending to the dream about the superintendent — I just recall a general sense of shock and disapproval from everyone around me (hardly surprising, really).
  • Moo wrote: »
    Many people have dreams about being naked in church or other public places.
    That reminds me of the film Sirens https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1050728_sirens.

I have been embarrassingly underdressed, but no-one notices.

I have also several times urinated, waking up to find that the event has not been mirrored in real life.

Many times I have found myself at exam time realising that I have yet to do any study.

And at work I find that the company is closing down or changing its business and I am now in a position that I have no idea how to perform, but no-one notices.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited August 2
    Anyone had the one where you're desperate for a wazz but there's absolutely nowhere you can go?

The "I'm on stage in five minutes and I hope I can busk this by watching the bass player for changes" one and the closely related "I really ought to start reading this text book for the exam tomorrow, although the fact I've attended precisely zero classes isn't going to help" are regular fixtures.
    All of those.

I have to admire the subconscious lock on bed-wetting that kicks in even if you dream you have got up and gone to your own bathroom.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Firenze wrote: »
    All of those.

I have to admire the subconscious lock on bed-wetting that kicks in even if you dream you have got up and gone to your own bathroom.

I once dreamt that and had this niggling feeling in the dream that I wasn't going properly. Fortunately I woke up just as I realised what muscle to flex, as it were...
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host, 8th Day Host
    I've never dreamed I was naked in church, in fact never dreamed I was fully naked at all, but I do get dreams where I realise the bottom part of my body is naked - no knickers or trousers or anything. And in this dream I'm realising with a shock that people can see this, that I've been walking around like this for ages, and I start trying to pull my tee shirt down a bit to cover myself, and thinking of what I can do, whether there's a way I can quickly find some knickers and leggings to put on. I wonder whether this dream relates to when I first started primary school, age four, and I would sometimes forget to put my knickers on when I got dressed in the morning, and I'd realise at school when I went to the loo that I had tights on with no knickers underneath, and it was quite horrifying for me to realise my knickers were at home, and I was at school, so I couldn't put them on. A bit like the times when I would forget to take my vest off when I got into the bath - I hated getting it wrong! But also I suppose ot partly relates to the adult experience of when you have something on your face or you're wearing something inside our or back to front, and you realise at the end of the day that you've been going round like that all day - I guess going round all day with bare legs and bum would be an exaggeratedly embarrassing version of this!

Other dreams I have are that I'm studying A level maths again, and the dream is not necessarily about the exam, but of the whole two years of A levels, sped up, and in these dreams I am not understanding the classes, and I'm not going to the classes, and I'm getting more and more behind, and knowing that I will fail the exam. I have a similar dream about doing a thesis, that I've been avoiding it, that I'm really behind, that I don't have any idea what I'm doing or how to approach it, that there's loads to do and the deadline is coming up, and I'm just going to fail. I always find these dreams very stressful and I wake up and wonder why I dreamed them, as I did well in my A level maths and in the theses I wrote, and this experience in the deam, which feels so familiar, never actually happened. Maybe it's about feeling like I'm behind and confused with life in general - that would make more sense!
    When I was doing the final year of my Maths degree I would dream equations and matrices coming at me in some kind of Dali-esque fog. I am glad this had never happened since!
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    I dreamt I was naked on a city bus. Don't remember how it ended, just that I sat all scrunched up. Unfortunately I was in the section of seats that faced the aisle rather than the ones that faced front or rear.
    Another common dream type is the Famous Person (presumably if you meet FP while naked you've hit some sort of somnolence jackpot).

I had a doozie last night about Barack Obama's song for the inauguration. A lot concerned the costuming - you'll be pleased to know he favoured a goatskin tabard over a dark blue shirt and red trousers. The performance involved a dizzying aerial view of arid but mountainous landscape, and culminated in a piece about Jimmy Carter being mayor of somewhere. Not that you hear it clearly because of everyone talking.

Ol' Barack drops into my dreams not infrequently of late.