Crosswords challenge

Do we want another round of crosswords?

We did this a while back, using Google sheets to share and save an updated crossword grid that we could all work on and access. The game is whoever sets it up sets a grid and the first clue, the person who solves that word sets another clue that interlocks and so on.
S

Comments

• I'm up for this.
  • Is anyone else?

@Leorning Cniht, @LatchKeyKid, @Wet Kipper, @fineline, @Martin54, @Piglet - adding Piglet into the list of people who used to play, because I know she does the Guardian crossword too, and we could add in crossword chat for those of us who do that one.

(I found today's prize massively easier than last week's offering.)
  • I'd play.
  • Yes, please
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Yes - count me in. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I expect I'll pick it up as we go along.

I've just been doing the Grauniad Prize, and managed to get stuck on a couple on the left hand side, so I decided to take a break and go back to it later.

It's now about five minutes later; I went back to it and it's done. :grin:

Qaos isn't the most devious of crossword setters; they usually put him in on a Monday or Tuesday, and keep the Prize for setters like Paul and Crucible.
  • Or Picaroon or Brendan. Picaroon last weekend was a challenge. Today with Qaos was a whole lot more accessible.

The author Will needs some general knowledge.
    He was one of the ones I was stuck on, then I had a flash of inspiration.
  • There is now a shared crossword grid here on my Google drive (pinched from Maskarade's grid on Friday), set up so anyone who has the link can play.

Anyone who wants to join in with a joint cryptic crosswords is welcome. We last did this in 2019, and I listed the people who were involved last time above to see if it was worth setting up, but this isn't aimed exclusively at anyone. There's a beginner's guide to solving cryptic crosswords here (link).

The rules are,
    1. If you solve a clue you set the next clue.
    2. Any new clue needs to cross with existing solved clues.
    3. Please check that the spaces left when your clue fits in will give reasonable words for others to clue. This crossword solver tool (link) is good to check if there are any words that will fit.
    4. If no-one can answer your clue be prepared to rewrite an alternative version.
    5. As this is a play along game, last time we explained the answers (parsed them in crossword jargon) for others who might want to join in.

To number the squares, the numbers are in separate smaller boxes above the clue boxes. I didn't keep the grids from a couple of years back, so can't remember how big I made everything last time, but there is a zoom in and out option on the tool bar to make things legible. If it doesn't work I'll go back and reformat a bit.

First clue: 1A John agrees with the start being night in north east resorts (2,3,9)
  • There is now a shared crossword grid here on my Google drive (pinched from Maskarade's grid on Friday), set up so anyone who has the link can play.

Looks like you haven't granted public access...
  • (The answer is "IN THE BEGINNING")
  • Sorry - try this grid (link). (It was the wee small hours and having logged in to set it up, I then struggle to see it not logged in.)

1A. John agrees with the start being night in north east resorts (2,3,9)

John and Genesis both start with IN THE BEGINNING (this was going out on a Sunday here, so it seemed apt to start with a Biblical solution for the Ship).

BEING NIGHT IN NE is an anagram of the above, ANAGRIND (anagram indicator) resorts - read as re-sorts. It's normal to use the abbreviations of compass bearings.
  • The thing I forgot to say was @Leorning Cniht over to you.
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Shipmate
    edited September 26
    I'm ready to play. I failed to set up the last crossword so I won't be jumping in to do that until I know my way around.
    LKKspouse and I do the Sydney Morning Herald crosswords together before breakfast.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited September 26
    The link to the Guardian Crosswords (and other puzzles) is here, and there's an entertaining Crossword Blog here (link). The Saturday prize is what Piglet and I were chatting about. Sunday is the Everyman. Neither of those gets the answers until the following week. Daily cryptics answers are published immediately.
  • OK, Let's go with:

2D: Belief, and after a Roman cross? (5)
    OK, Let's go with:

TENET?
  • I reckoned so.
    edited September 26
    I haven’t played the crossword challenge before; did I do the wrong thing blurting out an answer? And do I now
    provide a clue for one of the crossers, or do I need to wait until Leorning Cniht says I'm right?
  • I'd prepare a clue either crossing that one or coming down from the long one I started with. And wait for @Leorning Cniht to confirm, then you can post when he does.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    OK, Let's go with:

TENET?

Yup. (Just back from church). Your turn, @Piglet.
    11ac: Take someone out to lunch again to a hideaway (7)
    Is there a way I can put answers in the grid, or does that have to be done by Curiosity as she's the instigator?
  • You should be able to, I'm cooking so not trying from a phone.
  • RETREAT?
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited September 26
    Did it anyway not probably logged in, can see a few people have symbols showing as looking:

TENET = belief (definition),
    and = ET (et al and all those Latin tags) comes after, a Roman Cross =X = ten in Roman numerals - TEN + ET to put in order.

@Piglet, sorry cross-posted with @Leorning Cniht above, who I reckon is right.
  • RETREAT. (A retreat is like a hideaway, and to re-treat can mean to buy someone a meal again). Give me a few minutes to think up a clue.
  • 1D. Baptist sister confused nothing with half note. (12)
  • I need to refresh the page more often. Didn't see that Leorning Cniht already got retreat.

I feel I am getting close with "immersionist" but not quite somehow.
    Well done, @Leorning Cniht .
  • @Jonah the Whale I think you're right and it's an anagram of MINIM = half note, SISTER and O, but I'm on my next chores, does that work out?
    I need to refresh the page more often. Didn't see that Leorning Cniht already got retreat.

I feel I am getting close with "immersionist" but not quite somehow.

Anagram of SISTER MINIM (half-note) O (nothing)?
  • Yes, immersionist is correct, and you've all figured out the anagram.
  • The link to the Guardian Crosswords (and other puzzles) is here, and there's an entertaining Crossword Blog here (link). The Saturday prize is what Piglet and I were chatting about. Sunday is the Everyman. Neither of those gets the answers until the following week. Daily cryptics answers are published immediately.

Thanks for the link. It'll help me understand the crossword maker's style. Good thing I was a Londoner to understand the Angel underground station clue.

The SMH crossword today had me baffled with "Famous herder gutted buffalo! Look! (4,2)" until LKKspouse saw that they should have put (2,4).
  • Sorry to disappear all day. For some reason I was thinking of a semi-breve as a half note. Anyway, next clue is:

8A: Somewhere to eat, when not right, causes complaint. (5) M_N__
  • MANGE - is the complaint, which is MANGER, somewhere to eat, minus R?
  • If I'm right,

3D Interpretation past partners absorb to understand integrated circuit. (9)
    edited September 27
    Exegetics Exe -get -ic -s
    Exe -- s Past partners
    get - to understand
    ic -integrated circuit
    edited September 27
    Need to Correct . Clue coming next.
  • 4D chosen newspaper worker follows god depression therapy (7)
  • ELECTED?

Chosen = elected,
    newspaper worker = ED.
    EL = God, ECT = depression therapy.
  • Let's do 13A: Queen B's followers slay northern one. (5)
  • ICENI? - Queen Boudicca's (Bodicea) followers,
    ICE - slay + N (northern) + I (one in Roman numeras)
  • OK, I'll sort the next clue.
  • 17A Required cysteines unfortunately. (9)

N - - - S - - - -
    Necessity?

Excuse my stupidity, but why does ICE = slay?
  • Yes,.

American slang - to ice someone is to kill them.
  • Imagine one of the Sopranos saying they'd just iced someone.

I assume the etymology has to do with keeping bodies in the morgue on ice, but I don't actually know.