What is the time frame for a suspension?

Note that there is no time frame specified for @Orfeo's suspension, and that it has been longer than usual 2 week time period that is normative for suspensions such that this Shipmate has been, in effect, permanently banned.

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    My recollection is that Orfeo decided on his own to take a break.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited November 22
    In any case, even if their suspension is over, any Shipmate concerned may well simply decide not to post again.

Is it still possible to PM @orfeo?
  • GDPR-enabled admins have the email address that was first used to register. Any suspended shipmates who want to contact admin can do so via the Ship's published email address, outside of the DM system.

There are potentially many reasons why a suspended shipmate doesn't return. Almost all of them are unconnected to admin malfeasance or malice.
  • In this case I've been in both past (near time of partial suspension) and after full suspension, with recent contact with @Orfeo within the week, who noted that the suspension was, in effect, a ban.

However, I'm asking for this info on my own. This is not a crusade nor am I anyone's mouthpiece.
  • I couldn't quite parse your last post, @NOprophet_NØprofit , but FWIW @orfeo is still listed as suspended, which suggests that if they're staying away that's not the only thing going on.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Purgatory Host
    Speaking in a shipmately capacity, my understanding is that either a timescale is announced at the time of suspension - or you need to email the ship to request reinstatement and agree with admins what that might mean. Versus a ban, where sof is clearly stating you will not be allowed to reboard. I do not know if Orfeo has requested reinstatement or not.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    It seems to me that requiring the suspended shipmate to contact the Admins in order to reboard is putting an extra bit of a roadblock in the process. Most people normally post because they see a post they want to comment on. If you have to go through an extra hoop and know that the discussion may have moved on by the time you get permission to post that is a disincentive.
    Orfeo may or may not wish to continue posting. However, I've seldom seen posts by orfeo from which there was nothing to be learnt, so if the impulse to post does come over him I think it undesirable that he be given the chance to think better of it.
  • edited November 22
    1. @Orfeo and I were in communication yesterday, and we have been in communication previous to yesterday. His comment is specifically that he is banned for all intents and purposes because there are no parameters for the suspension.
    2. As information, Orfeo has my email address, which is not relevant, but means that ship or no ship we can communicate with one another.
    3. I decided on my own to inquire, with our joint agreement (Orfeo's and mine) to do so.
    4. Note that he has experienced a 2 stage suspension. First from some specific forums, second from everything entirely. I do not know what other access he has.
    5. I am my own person, and decided to give it a go on my own.
    6. Orfeo is also his own person and I do not speak for him other than inquiring about suspension, ban and and how they are, in effect, the same, noting that partial suspension from some forums on the ship has been exercised previously on him.
    7. Orfeo has informed me clearly that he would like to post on the ship.. He may or may not decide to actually post, but he would like the ability to do so.
    8. I have opinions about these things, which are not relevant presently.
  • I might be missing something, but could you @NOprophet_NØprofit just contact orfeo, and simply suggest he get in touch with the Admins?

• Gee D wrote: »
    Sort of. He did post that he was not coming back because he had been “barred” (his word) from posting in Epiphanies and Styx, then posted some follow-up posts, and ultimately was suspended. See the “Anyone heard from…?” thread, starting with this September 22 post and concluding with this September 24 post (currently the last post in the thread).

Speaking in a shipmately capacity, my understanding is that either a timescale is announced at the time of suspension - or you need to email the ship to request reinstatement and agree with admins what that might mean. Versus a ban, where sof is clearly stating you will not be allowed to reboard. I do not know if Orfeo has requested reinstatement or not.
    Thank you, @Doublethink. That’s the first I’ve been aware of indefinite suspensions, where it’s necessary to contact an admin and seek reinstatement. All suspensions I’ve been aware of until now were imposed for a set period, which was stated in the post imposing the suspension.

• DoublethinkDoublethink Purgatory Host
    It’s something that’s definitely happened before https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/comment/315901/#Comment_315901
  • I've been a Shipmate for over 15 years and have seen indefinite suspensions before. There are even some people around who have been subject to them and have had the required conversations with the admins before returning.

I was aware that the way to deal with an indefinite suspension was to talk to the Admins, via Ship e-mail. I wasn't aware that it was possible to private message while suspended, but it seems that that route is also open to contact the admins, as PMs while suspended seem to be an option on this software.
  • It’s something that’s definitely happened before https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/comment/315901/#Comment_315901
    Thanks, @Doublethink, and I didn’t mean to suggest it hadn’t happened before—just that I hadn’t been aware of or didn’t recall it happening before.

• @orfeo knows how to contact us, which includes not just the mechanism but also the sort of content that is needed if a response is wanted.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Gee D wrote: »
    Sort of. He did post that he was not coming back because he had been “barred” (his word) from posting in Epiphanies and Styx, then posted some follow-up posts, and ultimately was suspended. See the “Anyone heard from…?” thread, starting with this September 22 post and concluding with this September 24 post (currently the last post in the thread)

Thanks for the link and detail. I do not know Orfeo personally but a fellow I know had occasional professional contact with him before my friend retired. I consider it would be wrong for me to use that avenue to get in touch with him.
  • edited November 24
    I have been sent all the messages between @orfeo and @Alan Cresswell . My opinion will be undoubtedly of no value, but I will provide it in measured and distanced terms state (like I would whenever objectivity is required and emotions must be tertiary at most).

Things were very poorly handled by Admin and Hosts, also in the context of @orfeo's conduct. Both.

I didn't expect to see events here, like I have seen in real life Church Land: always the party with the power controls the messaging and forces it, and this works for most of the group or congregation, with those who leave being characterized something along the line of Judas, idiots or rats, even if done quietly or unconsciously, and depending if they just drift away or make it known. So I'll be perhaps a Judas-idiot-rat.

It's also not usually worth saying that the ball in your court in such circumstances. The sooner the rats jump over the side, the more relieved everyone is. Notwithstanding, I do view this in the light of game theory, "tit for tat", in one of its forms. Where conduct is noted, and until it changes, there is non-engagement until the behaviour is changed, and when it is, bygones are bygones, and the play is nice once again. But I suspect few care about my analysis given the power-messaging referenced in the prior paragraph. The time will be now for ignoring this that I've written, and disparagement of the things expressed herein.

If the above violates anything, it doesn't matter.

Be well, those of you who are staying aboard. I'll have a look once in a while perhaps, and now end this post with an anecdote. The church which we attended up to 13 years ago closed, weirdly down the street from where we recently moved. The building is intact. The lawn gets mowed and snow shovelled. The bell never rings: so quiet. "Ring them bells, ye heathen... Ring them bells for all of us who are left, Ring them bells for the chosen few, Who will judge the many when the game is through"
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    So, uh, this was a flounce?¹

I mean, some style points for implying it without saying it, but sort of buried pretty hard by the weak-sauce manifesto thing. Plus, you know, flounces are not Ship's Business.

Not going to close this just yet, because I suppose there is some mileage to be had dissecting how responsive this group of volunteers is regarding correspondence with shit-stirrers. How exhausting is the drama versus the utterly essential need to post bullshit screeds on discussion fora? The debate doubtlessly rages on.

-RooK
    Styx Nanny

¹ Obviously, this is best answered in the affirmative by not responding.
  • I'll just leave this here:
    https://i.imgflip.com/mzijo.jpg

Though I must say Eric Cantona's famous press conference also sprang to mind.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I am sad anytime a shipmate feels they need to flounce. As a community we are diminished.
  • Caissa wrote: »
    I am sad anytime a shipmate feels they need to flounce. As a community we are diminished.

I agree.
  • We acknowledged at the time there was a communication problem in notifying orfeo about their ability to post in Epiphanies. However, any discussion with Admin about a return from suspension has to be directly with orfeo, and we're not going have those negotiations or discussions via a third party, either serially or in parallel.

We're also closing this thread, as the original question has been answered. If there are further developments, then we'll reopen.

Doc Tor
    SoF admin
This discussion has been closed.