Inappropriate Nomenclature

EirenistEirenist Shipmate
I always enjoy spotting off-putting names for businesses, shops, hotels, restaurants etc. My prize exhibit so far is the 'Impact School of Motoring', followed closely by 'Ultimate Destinations' , a travel agency. A friend claimed to have seen a 'Hotel Clytemnestra' (she polished off her husband with an axe) in Greece. Would any shipmate care to contribute?

Comments

• TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    My favourite was a combo business -- taxidermist (with samples on display) and take-out restaurant. (Apparently it's very common for taxidermy to be combined with other businesses, presumably because it's not a great money maker on its own). The place was called "Animal Display and Take-Out." We understood that the foxes, lynx, etc., that were displayed glassy-eyed on shelves around the place were not the same animals making up the burgers and hot dogs, but the name definitely raised the question.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    There used to be a restaurant near my local train station that billed itself as "The Terminal Cafe."

It went out of business. For some reason.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited June 23
    "After following the advice of that credit-rating agency, my financial situation went from standard to poor."
    ^ And somewhat related, in Canada, there's an insurance firm called MelocheMonnex. I gather it's pronounced "melosh monecks", but the first time I saw it on a billboard, it put me in mind of "Moloch Money".
  • Ex_OrganistEx_Organist Shipmate
    In Wolverhampton, UK, you can find a window manufacturer called Breakwells Glass.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    I learned to drive with The Impact School of Motoring - I chose it because the name made me smile. I passed first time and have only had a couple of minor scrapes in 40 years of motoring. No great impact!
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Here in Queens there was the Boom Boom Auto Driving School.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited June 23
    I used to walk past an undertaker called Sydney Hurry. It's still in business 50 years later.

And W.J. Bone the butcher, which isn't.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    There's a splendid butchers based in Forres called Macbeth's.
  • RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    Bill Bryson recalls that an eatery at a poular fishing spot had, blazoned outside, 'Takeaway and Livebait'.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    There are some small streets in Florence named for Dante's Divine Comedy. We were staying at the Hotel Esperanza in the Via dell'Inferno - literally, the Hope in Hell.
  • Unfortunate, rather than inappropriate. When Robert Slater opened a shop he had a sign over it reading "R. Slater"

It was generally known as Head First.

(For American Shipmates, there is a phrase "Head first, Arse later" )
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    At work it was my job to write thank you letters for donations, which at times came via funeral directors as the collection at a funeral had been given to the charity. More than one communication involved undertakers called Burnham.
  • MargaretMargaret Shipmate
    Not sure if this is really inappropriate, unless you lack a sense of humour - but when I was in Cramlington in Northumberland last autumn I passed an undertakers called "Go As You Please".
  • RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    There was a Swedish motor cycle racer - a dangerous sport if ever there was - called Burnt Perrson.
    And let's not forget Dr D'eath.
  • I'm going to have to remind you all of when Dr De Cock was the WHO lead for HIV/AIDS, aren't I?
    Margaret wrote: »
    Not sure if this is really inappropriate, unless you lack a sense of humour - but when I was in Cramlington in Northumberland last autumn I passed an undertakers called "Go As You Please".

There's one in Edinburgh. I was going to art classes in the building next door. The tutor did say she was a bit freaked by the sounds of joinery, even if it was for custom coffins.

• mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Trudy wrote: »
    My favourite was a combo business -- taxidermist (with samples on display) and take-out restaurant. (Apparently it's very common for taxidermy to be combined with other businesses, presumably because it's not a great money maker on its own). The place was called "Animal Display and Take-Out." We understood that the foxes, lynx, etc., that were displayed glassy-eyed on shelves around the place were not the same animals making up the burgers and hot dogs, but the name definitely raised the question.

There used to be a combination taxidermist and custom bakery not far from here. Best cakes anywhere. Full of deer and wild African/Asian animals (think tiger, lioness, etc.).
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    There's a splendid butchers based in Forres called Macbeth's.

Sign near the door says "No dogs please. Out, damn Spot!"
  • Closet DruidCloset Druid Shipmate Posts: 45
    There is a bakers shop in Street (Somerset) called "Burns the Bread". There maybe another shop of the same name in Glastonbury.
    There is a bakers shop in Street (Somerset) called "Burns the Bread". There maybe another shop of the same name in Glastonbury.

What exactly does that mean? Is it a way of saying that someone named Burns is the owner?
  • There's a garage near here called "DNR Automotive" (DNR usually understood to mean Do Not Resuscitate).

Then there was the undertaker in Buffalo called Curtains, with whom my reverend brother-in-law used to do quite a bit of business.
  • Closet DruidCloset Druid Shipmate Posts: 45
    stetson wrote: »
    [
    What exactly does that mean? Is it a way of saying that someone named Burns is the owner?

Sorry, that I did not make it clear, the baker business in run and owned by the Burns family.
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    In Wales, where many people for historic reasons have the same surname, it is common to distinguish between them by occuptation or residence. Thus Jones the Coal, Jones the Fish, Jones Ty Coch (Red House0, etc.
  • And there is the apocryphal story of Jones the Spy.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    There’s a Burns the Bread in Wells. We go past it going into the town centre, and it always makes me smile.
  • Bright Eyes Nursery (children, not plants) in Cirencester.
  • MelangellMelangell Shipmate
    Many years ago, when the road journey from Anglesey to Surrey took us through Kidderminster, we always looked out for Doolittle and Dalley (estate agents), and a quick search shows they are still going strong...

How can the eyes that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale?
  • There's a local plumber called Flood and French
  • dogwalkerdogwalker Shipmate Posts: 11
    On the Mass Pike (Interstate 90 in Massachusetts) today:

Tingley Electrical Co,
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Bright Eyes Nursery (children, not plants) in Cirencester.

There was one in my old West London stamping ground too. Their sign featured some very ‘Miffy’ style bunnies. I used to worry about nap time…
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    There was a sheriff's deputy in the county north of me who had a landscaping side business called Lawn Order.

:lol: I'd only just stopped humming it.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Bright Eyes Nursery (children, not plants) in Cirencester.

🎶 rabbit pie 🎶
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    So the topic is Inappropriate Nomenclature? May I offer: "the United States of America"? United? Hilarious! They are ripping each other apart!
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited June 25
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    So the topic is Inappropriate Nomenclature? May I offer: "the United States of America"? United? Hilarious! They are ripping each other apart!
    Seriously?!

Gee, lets start a pond war in Heaven, why don't we?
  • Probably noted here before, but there's a local lawyer who has a son named Will and a daughter named Sue. They are both Presbyterian ministers.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    Gee, lets start a pond war in Heaven, why don't we?

Just confirming that the Gee is not me.
  • HelixHelix Heaven Host
    Hi all - just a gentle reminder that this is Heaven, so please stick to the theme of "Nomenclature". Please take any other discussion elsewhere.

Thanks
    Helix - Heavenly Host
    When driving through Maybole, we always look out to see if the Po King Chinese restaurant is still...er...in business.
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    There used to be (perhaps still is) a legal firm called 'Evill & Co.' Worthy of Dickens.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Eirenist wrote: »
    There used to be (perhaps still is) a legal firm called 'Evill & Co.' Worthy of Dickens.
    Reminds me of an essay I did years ago at secretarial college, involving a fictitious firm of solicitors called "Sue, Grabbit and Runn." It came back marked as "Imaginative work." :lol:
    Sorry @Gee D , didn't mean to involve you.
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    Dormouse wrote: »
    I learned to drive with The Impact School of Motoring - I chose it because the name made me smile. I passed first time and have only had a couple of minor scrapes in 40 years of motoring. No great impact!
    Nenya wrote: »
    Reminds me of an essay I did years ago at secretarial college, involving a fictitious firm of solicitors called "Sue, Grabbit and Runn." It came back marked as "Imaginative work." :lol:

In Neasden, NW10? I remember them well. When I was learning to drive I deliberately avoided signing up with them and went with BSM!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    Sorry @Gee D , didn't mean to involve you.

I know you didn't, and my comment was not all that serious - or to change the word order around, it was not at all serious.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Nenya wrote: »
    :lol: Those who used to listen to NPR’s Car Talk will remember the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe.

I sometimes have occasion to drive by a certain funeral home. A church meets in the chapel of that funeral home, and the name of the church is New Beginnings in Christ Church. New Beginnings at the funeral home always makes me chuckle a little.

• A local doctor has a sign on the door that reads Dr. Slaughter, Oral Surgery.
  • HelixHelix Heaven Host
    I remember a Mr Pick, the dentist!