Marriage and Resurrection

Luke 20:27-38
Some Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came to him and asked him a question, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no children, the man shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. Now there were seven brothers; the first married, and died childless; then the second and the third married her, and so in the same way all seven died childless. Finally the woman also died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven had married her.” J

Jesus said to them, “Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection. And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive.”

When my father died, Mom knew she would see him again. When my grandfathers died, bother grandmothers knew they would be reunited with their husbands again. But doesn't this indicate at the time of the resurrection marriages will be immaterial? Will we be reunited with our spouses, let alone families?

Comments

• TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Some Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came to him and asked him a question, “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no children, the man shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. Now there were seven brothers; the first married, and died childless; then the second and the third married her, and so in the same way all seven died childless. Finally the woman also died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven had married her.” J

Jesus said to them, “Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the resurrection. And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive.”

When my father died, Mom knew she would see him again. When my grandfathers died, bother grandmothers knew they would be reunited with their husbands again. But doesn't this indicate at the time of the resurrection marriages will be immaterial? Will we be reunited with our spouses, let alone families?

Good questions. My one set of grandparents never saw me so how could they recognise me ?

Many many years ago we decided to have a a chat with a couple of nice Mormon youths. They told us that our marriage was eternal. We didn't become Mormons
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    The context is of a loaded question - the Sadducees don't believe there's any resurrection, but put a hypothetical situation to Jesus assuming what they don't believe in. It reads like a version of a reductio ad absurdum argument, a "if there's a resurrection of the dead then you get insolvable problems like this ... therefore there's no resurrection". The challenge is whether Jesus accepts the argument that there's no resurrection (thus siding with one side in a theological argument) or whether he accepts that it results in an absurdity.

Jesus' response is to tell them that they don't understand resurrection, in which we will be transformed to become like the angels, and that will transform all our relationships. The absurdity of the widow and her seven husbands will be nullified in that unspecified new relationship between people who are all brothers and sisters together, children of God and resurrection. How will relationships with spouses change if as well as spouses they're also siblings?
  • Alan

You said
    Jesus' response is to tell them that they don't understand resurrection, in which we will be transformed to become like the angels, and that will transform all our relationships.

Where does Jesus say we will become like angels. I see him saying that the resurrection makes marriage immaterial because marriage happens before death, not after.
    It's in the passage you quoted, v36 "Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God"
  • Merry VoleMerry Vole Shipmate
    edited October 2022
    Some are of this age, and some are worthy of a place in that age. What does Jesus mean?
  • It's in the passage you quoted, v36 "Indeed they cannot die anymore, because they are like angels and are children of God"

Well, I'll be ...
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Telford wrote: »
    Gramps49 wrote: »

Good questions. My one set of grandparents never saw me so how could they recognise me ?

Many many years ago we decided to have a a chat with a couple of nice Mormon youths. They told us that our marriage was eternal. We didn't become Mormons

*Bursts out laughing but manages not to spurt coffee all over computer screen* Love that understated humour! :lol:

The apostles knew Moses and Elijah at the transfiguration of Jesus, without ever having met them, so I've always taken that to mean that we'll know and love each other in the afterlife. If we were married in the afterlife that could be a bit confusing for people who've been married to more than one person whilst here.
  • How to put this, um, delicately? I know people who mourn this idea (of no marriage in the afterlife) because they think their relationship will be reduced to "just friends" like everybody else. I'm wondering if, um, the reason there's no marriage is because on the contrary, all those OTHER relationships will be, er, raised up...
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Lamb Chopped: The thought of angels doing it like bonobos is a genuinely new one for me. It would explain some dereliction of duty by "guardian angels."
  • Reminds me of the thing Lewis said about wondering if there's sex in heaven is like a child wondering if there's chocolate in sex. Because the most pleasurable thing they can think of is chocolate, and they are being told sex is this wonderful thing. The child is told "Well I suppose you could eat chocolate while having sex but it would rather distract your attention in an unwanted way." (Chocolate syrup notwithstanding?)
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited November 2022
    And of course the most pleasurable thing in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is Turkish Delight - which probably says something about the availability of sweetmeats in early post-war Britain.
  • Um yeah. I'm not actually thinking that angels (or us!) will "do it like bonobos" (knew I'd get in trouble with that one! :lol: but more along Lewis' lines indeed, that there might be a higher form of related-ness than marriage we presently don't know much about; and yes, perhaps it includes some sort of pleasure, as marriage does. Backing away from the thread...
  • [I thought I could hear "Reversing" beeps in the distance ...].

I'm sure you're right in what you say about "a higher form of related-ness".
  • TurquoiseTasticTurquoiseTastic Kerygmania Host
    And yet the resurrected Jesus seemed still to enjoy eating food. So I would suggest that we can't simply say that all these "lower" functions or "lower" forms of related-ness will necessarily disappear.
  • The Message has Jesus saying 'Marriage is a major preoccupation here, but not there. Those who are included in the resurrection of the dead will no longer concerned with marriage nor, of course, with death. They will have better things to think about, if you can believe it. All ecstasies and intimacies then will be with God'.

I'm not sure this speaks to me as a person who loves their life partner. But then I think it wasn't directed at me but at the Sadducees. Those of us who hope to be reunited with a loved one have, I'm sure, nothing to fear. And even if, say, you have remarried because of the death of your spouse, or for whatever other reason, I'm sure Jesus is not , in this story, telling us to be worried about the future.
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    I'm not sure how you would class Seraphim. Isa 6:2 has
    "Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew."
    I understand that "feet" is a euphemism for genitals.
  • It is, but it also means “feet.” Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    “How beautiful upon the mountains…” Isaiah 52.7
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    It is, but it also means “feet.” Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Ah yes. You wouldn't want anyone looking at your feet. Must get them covered.
    The phrase could just mean their wings covered their whole body ("from head to toe" as we might put it), so that they did what they could to hide themselves from the presence of God.
  • Further maybe they had some kind of fetish about feet. The Victorians covered the legs of their pianos and put little paper things on the end of their chicken legs. It doesn't mean their pianos had genitals.
  • DavidDavid Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    Further maybe they had some kind of fetish about feet. The Victorians covered the legs of their pianos and put little paper things on the end of their chicken legs. It doesn't mean their pianos had genitals.

No, but they'd have had quite a few G-strings of varying gauge.
  • David wrote: »
    Further maybe they had some kind of fetish about feet. The Victorians covered the legs of their pianos and put little paper things on the end of their chicken legs. It doesn't mean their pianos had genitals.

No, but they'd have had quite a few G-strings of varying gauge.

And every now and then they'd open the piano lid to get more air on them.
    BroJames wrote: »

Interesting that you raised this example. Taken literally it would mean that the messenger on the mountains might have to have beautiful feet, by whatever criteria there are for beautiful feet. ISTM far more reasonable to see feet symbolising the bringing of peace, salvation etc. It would not matter if the messenger had ugly, deformed feet.

That is different from the exclusion in Deut 23: 1 "No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the Lord. "
    The phrase could just mean their wings covered their whole body ("from head to toe" as we might put it), so that they did what they could to hide themselves from the presence of God.

So "feet' represents the rest of the body apart from the face!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate

Those paper things (or thingies as we'd say) are still in use here - they make it easier and a bit cleaner to pick up and gnaw upon the the drumstick.
  • BroJames wrote: »

Interesting that you raised this example. Taken literally it would mean that the messenger on the mountains might have to have beautiful feet, by whatever criteria there are for beautiful feet. ISTM far more reasonable to see feet symbolising the bringing of peace, salvation etc. It would not matter if the messenger had ugly, deformed feet.

And taken in the "feet always means genitals" sense, it means they are dragging their nuts on the ground. Which I'm sure was BroJames's point; a sort of reductio.
    edited November 2022

And taken in the "feet always means genitals" sense, it means they are dragging their nuts on the ground. Which I'm sure was BroJames's point; a sort of reductio.

Well that's a newy - "feet always means genitals". A term used as a euphemism requires the term to have an ordinary meaning as well its euphemism use. So reductio doesn't apply. Terms can be used in different contexts with different meanings .
  • mousethief wrote: »

Well that's a newy - "feet always means genitals". A term used as a euphemism requires the term to have an ordinary meaning as well its euphemism use. So reductio doesn't apply. Terms can be used in different contexts with different meanings .

Yes, that is my f***ing point.
    Distressed Hostly Turquoise Fin Emerges

This is a nice board for nice discussions! Be nice!

I'm sure it is possible to disagree over whether "feet" are a euphemism in a particular passage of Scripture without actually moving to DEFCON 1 and launching a full-scale nuclear attack.

Please do not disillusion your Turquoise Host in this matter.

Distressed Hostly Turquoise Fin Submerges
  • Forget genitals. Bare feet in a woman is curiously sexy!
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    AIUI, marriage and being given in marriage were essentially property deals of external goods. This was a property deal between two men: the prospective groom and the potential bride's father. The groom would exchange x amount of livestock in exchange for one virgin housekeeper - an exchange of goods which could be (theoretically) externally verified. Internal goods such as love and attraction - which we now consider among the basics exchanged in marriage - were not fundamental to the deal.

So the text breaks the idea of the commercial and external exchange of goods as being fundamental to marriage. In the life to come, it doesn't matter if one party has sufficient livestock for the deal, and it doesn't matter if the other party is or is not a virgin housekeeper and potential childbearer (which is again based on earthly property concerns - who will inherit property if there are no heirs?)

The text announces freedom for people in relationship from the property/financial concerns which may motivate or stress relationships.
  • I had been wondering if the levirate marriage discussed in the text could also be a way of insuring the woman's security as she reaches old age. Yes, I know it's primary purpose to insure a male descendent from the woman.
  • Leaf wrote: »
    AIUI, marriage and being given in marriage were essentially property deals of external goods. This was a property deal between two men: the prospective groom and the potential bride's father. The groom would exchange x amount of livestock in exchange for one virgin housekeeper - an exchange of goods which could be (theoretically) externally verified. Internal goods such as love and attraction - which we now consider among the basics exchanged in marriage - were not fundamental to the deal.

So the text breaks the idea of the commercial and external exchange of goods as being fundamental to marriage. In the life to come, it doesn't matter if one party has sufficient livestock for the deal, and it doesn't matter if the other party is or is not a virgin housekeeper and potential childbearer (which is again based on earthly property concerns - who will inherit property if there are no heirs?)

The text announces freedom for people in relationship from the property/financial concerns which may motivate or stress relationships.

You know, I've heard this quoted for truth all over the place, and I have severe doubts about it. A property deal, in essence? That's the core of marriage?

Coming from where I do, I'd be far more inclined to see the core of marriage as yet another move in the extension of the family (the larger family, not nuclear) into the future. A chess move, if you like. It's about bringing in someone from outside (who depends on matrilocal vs. patrilocal cultures) and thereby (please God) "generating" yet another step into the future for the family--that is, another generation of children. Does property play into it? Yes, because human beings require it to survive, so naturally it's going to stick its nose in. But it's about the babies, from the perspective I inhabit--and I'm speaking in general terms about human marriage as an institution, not about anybody's particular child-free marriage.

You can do property deals all you like without involving women, virgin or otherwise. You can obtain housekeepers, virgin or otherwise, without involving marriage or major property deals. You can have SEX all you like outside of marriage itself, housekeeping, or property deals. But you're going to have a damn hard time advancing the family into the next generation without following an orderly, culturally accepted way of bringing outsiders into the existing family with the goal of generating a new generation of babies. Because those babies ARE the family in its next step, and generally speaking, the family will not be able to claim or even identify them properly if men and women don't marry. If children are born without official paternity, if they are abandoned by one or both parents (which destroys the maternal link as well), if they are raised in orphanages or communal set-ups which deny parental links--the family is basically kaput. So no, I don't think marriage is "esssentially" a property transfer. It's essentially a means of extending the family--at least for the cultures and groups I come from. (one of which is matriarchal)

Rant over.

• LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Lamb Chopped: ISTM your rant is somewhat misdirected.

First, I note that you have altered the verb tense from my comments. I said "were" and "was", referring to what I understand to have been the thinking about marriage in New Testament times. Insofar as I make any claims to what the core of marriage is now, according to the thinking of the current Western world, it is an exchange of internal goods: love, attraction, emotional connection.

Second, you are interpreting "property" as referring to real estate. Property in this sense is much more expansive, including the notion of a "paterfamilias" whose family members are his responsibility and possession. Property in this sense does not only refer to land or stuff: it is a way of organizing relationships. Who belongs to whom? What does "belong" mean?

I agree that in such times and cultures as that in which Jesus was preaching, family was the basic unit of society, not the individual. Marriage was a means of extending the family.

According to L. William Countryman (Dirt, Greed, and Sex: Sexual Ethics in the New Testament and Their Implications for Today, Fortress Press, Philadelphia, 1988) "The ethics of sexual property included an ideal... the ideal defined the household, the fundamental building block of society, as consisting of a male head who possessed one or more women as wives or concubines, and children who would either carry on the family (sons) or be used to make alliances with other families (daughters)." Further, "there is little evidence of significant development in this ethic between the writing of the Torah and the time of Jesus."

Countryman uses this sense of sexual "property" extensively in his book. He summarizes Jesus' response to the Sadduccees : "Jesus answered them by denying that the institution of marriage had any place at all in the life of the resurrection. The family and its internal hierarchy would, of course, fall along with the institution of marriage, leaving no more reason for the levirate law than for the problems it threatened to create."

You'd probably have to read the book to get a better sense of what Countryman means by "property." Crimes against people whose relationships were governed as sexual property were property crimes; for example, adultery was a property crime by one man against another man by taking and vandalizing his property, reducing its value to him. Such crimes fall under the heading of "greed" in the book title.
  • FWIW, I don’t see any conflict in saying that marriage at its core was about extending family and saying that marriage was, in essence, a property deal. The first (extending family) was the core why of marriage, the second (a property deal) was the core how.

Or so it seems to me.

• I doubt marriage was a property deal in merchant class or working class families. They had no property to deal, other than a family business storefront, such as a blacksmithy, or the family farm, which isn't going anywhere.
  • If I didn't make it clear before, the rant was one a long time a-coming, and not primarily directed at you. It was simply your post that triggered a frustration I've had for YEARS. Do you know how frustrating it is to try to talk sense about the Christian faith (or Judaism, for that matter) to people who (usually smugly) point to various passages in the OT and assure me that women were (and still are, in evangelical circles!) nothing but property, to be disposed of my their male lords and masters. Therefore (they claim), Christianity is unworthy of the consideration of any modern person.

Fuck that, say I. Cultures are more complicated than that, PEOPLE are more complicated than that, and while there may exist cultures where women are nothing but property to be bargained by the "true humans" (that is, males), these are to the best of my knowledge few and far between.

Look, let's try this. Instead of referring me to yet another book written by a man, try referring me to a woman's work which shows the same assumptions and belief.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    I'm with @Lamb Chopped on this one. It seems to me that @Leaf's second post is really about trying to say that he/she didn't really mean what the first post sounded like it was saying. So the second post turns out to be really saying much the same thing as "Lamb Chopped" even though claiming otherwise and drawing in an academic whom I suspect none of us have ever heard of in support. His book sounds rather little more than saying 'Oh look, past ages didn't believe marriage and relationships were all just about 'true lerv' '.

Whatever the songs may say, for most people that's not the case now either. Even in cultures (like the one I inhabit) where young people have for at least the last 250 years been expected to find their own life partners rather than have their parents do it for them, most youngsters grow up instinctively knowing that they are expected to fall in 'lerv' with the sort of person their parents are likely to approve of, welcome into the family and see as suitable parents for the next generation.

Hostly Fin Surfaces

This discussion on "marriage as property deal or alternatively NOT" has legs - on the other hand we seem to have come rather a long way from the Sadducees and resurrection. I'll see whether a transfer to Purgatory is in order.

Hostly Fin Submerges
    My understanding is that in Judaism at the time Levirate marriage was practiced solely so that a man might have a son by proxy through his brother (Deuteronomy 25:5-10), which maintains the social structure by giving an heir to inherit from the dead man. Ruth seems to provide an example of Levirate marriage. Other cultures have practiced Levirate marriage for providing for the widow and her children (at least until such a time as any sons are old enough to provide for their mother and siblings), with variations on whether or not it can apply if the widow has children or sons. That's a very different understanding of marriage to most of our cultures - for a start it requires a patriarchy to have any meaning, without that there's no reason why a widow can't have her own property and not require a man to protect and provide for her, and also a strong clan based social structure where property passes to sons and it's important to maintain clan property within the clan.

Now, it's not clear to me how much of that influenced the Sadducees and their question, in contemporary Judaism Levirate marriage isn't practiced and it may have already been unusual in the 1st century - though clearly not unknown otherwise the question wouldn't have been asked in that way. But, the question clearly relies on particular social expectations and structures surrounding marriage - and Jesus' answer clearly is that after the resurrection those expectations and structures will be so different that the question has no meaning ... without really describing what the new social structure will be.
  • Although I don't actually think that this passage is about marriage and/or resurrection at all. I think what the Sadducees arev doing is trying to "check out" Jesus' attitude to Scripture and tradition by posing a frankly absurd question. They will use his answer to prove where, by believing or not believing in resurrection, he is "one of them" and so (in their eyes) a "true Jew" - or not. Cleverly Jesus turns the tables by "proving" resurrection from the only part of the Canon which they consider to be truly inspired by God and normative for faith.
  • I concur that the passage is more about resurrection than about marriage.

It seems to me (admittedly a tangent) that one reason for Levirate marriage was to provide for childless widows, who otherwise might have an ambiguous status (or none) in the O.T. world.
  • Basically, if a widow had no male to provide for them, they would likely had to become prostitutes,
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    Yes, the marriage story is obviously used to create a 'paradox' to create issues.
    If that didn't work they'd have found another and the core of the dialogue (from the saduccees side at least) would remain the same.

As a 'parodox' it almost works with all her other changing relationships (is Ruth a daughter or a mother).

As an example paradox, abstract leviritical marriage would probably be a slightly poorer choice over other remarriage examples (as everyone involved nominally agrees that the first marriage is the intended one).
  • jay_emmjay_emm Kerygmania Host
    The passage is of course (Yes I had forgotten, even though it was quoted) very explicit that they are brothers and following custom.

I still think it seems a weaker form than other examples you could construct. The one advantage being that it's a command to re-marry.
    I wonder if there's a second 'trap' waiting there. Especially given John lost his head for saying the 'wrong' thing about remarriage.

The ideal position from their point of view would presumably be if Jesus said something silly (and pharisaical) from a saduccee point of view and also something unsound from the pharisaical point of view.
  • Simple: no marital ownership or sex in Heaven.

Deo gratias.
    edited November 2022
    Sojourner wrote: »
    Simple: no marital ownership or sex in Heaven.

Deo gratias.

I am more confident about the former than about the latter! If the resurrected Jesus could and did eat food, how can we be sure that there is no sex in the new heavens and Earth? Whereas inequality in the marriage relationship is represented in Genesis as undesirable and a consequence of the Fall.
  • Maybe a more reasonable question is whether there is gender in Heaven.
  • HarryCH wrote: »
    Maybe a more reasonable question is whether there is gender in Heaven.

Our gender identity is very much a part of our personality.

Genesis tells us God created male and female for companionship, The one is supposed to be the help mate of the other--goes both ways in my book. Now, that purpose will probably be fulfilled in the age to come, but are there still gender roles?