Ship of Fools Book Group 2024

edited January 3 in Heaven
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ship of Fools Book Group - 2023 Edition.

Comments

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I want to add my vote of thanks @Sarasa. I look forward to coordinating the Book Club next year. I wanted to suggest a manner for proceeding. Would it be possible to get 12 volunteers (1 for each month) to agree to facilitate a discussion? The volunteer would get to choose a book (keeping in mind availability). If we could have a complete schedule in place by the end of this year people could plan for acquiring copies for the months in which they want to join in the reading and discussion. Thoughts?
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    @Caissa, I think that would be a good thing to try! My two cents!
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Are there any further thoughts on my suggestion above for 2024?
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Sounds good Caissa. I am thinking about what book I could pick for next year.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Mili wrote: »
    I am thinking about what book I could pick for next year.
    Yes; me too.

Thank you very much @Sarasa for looking after the Ship's book group so well and for so long; and thank you @Caissa for taking it on.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    I enjoyed Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus recently and think that might be a good read for next year. I'm happy to lead on that.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    I'm happy to take a month. Will have to think a bit about what book to choose.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Oh, I know! The last example I can find of us doing a Terry Pratchett book was "Witches Abroad" in 2015, which I didn't read. In fact I didn't read any Pratchett at all until the last couple of years, despite the urging of literally everyone who shares my taste in books. When I finally tried a couple of his books, I didn't really get into them -- until Monstrous Regiment, which I've just finished and have MANY thoughts on. So I would be interested in taking a month in 2024 to discuss that book.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Could we do a non-fiction book? We have in the past. 'Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup,' by John Carreyrou sounds interesting and topical. It is about the sham blood testing start up Theranos. It was published in 2018 so hopefully should be available in libraries.
    Trudy wrote: »
    Oh, I know! The last example I can find of us doing a Terry Pratchett book was "Witches Abroad" in 2015, which I didn't read. In fact I didn't read any Pratchett at all until the last couple of years, despite the urging of literally everyone who shares my taste in books. When I finally tried a couple of his books, I didn't really get into them -- until Monstrous Regiment, which I've just finished and have MANY thoughts on. So I would be interested in taking a month in 2024 to discuss that book.

Oo, yes, I would love to revisit Monstrous Regiment which is on my shelf and which I read years ago as I felt I was missing something having read no Pratchett. I can't remember a thing about it (it clearly didn't make much of an impression!) so it would be great to reread it in the company of others.

I would be happy to lead a discussion on one of my favourite rereads: Robert Harris's Pompeii . Or in my real-life book group I've been introduced to Patrick Gale and would be interested to read another by him - perhaps Notes From An Exhibition.

I'd also be interested in joining a discussion on Lessons In Chemistry , of which I've heard nothing but good.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    I nearly suggested 'Lessons from Chemistry' too as have also heard people recommend it.
    I like the idea of a non-fiction book (or two). I very much liked Pompeii when I read it a few years ago, and wouldn't mind revisiting it. I'm one of those people who doesn't 'get' Pratchett, but I'm always happy to have another go.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Sarasa, Does it make sense to open a thread for 2024 and start discussing options and having people pick books and months? Or is it too early?
    Hi @Caissa , I think you could start a thread on that now, or maybe a kindly mod could split the recent discussions for us.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Would it be possible for a kindly mod to do this so that we retain the discussion about next year that has begun?
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    A Kindly Mod has done this, and now we have this thread specifically for 2024 planning.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Thank you very much, Trudy.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    As I understand it, there seems to be support for 12 individuals each choosing a month and book to facilitate. We can start with people agreeing to a month they will do and if they know what book they would like to facilitate at this point all the better. Does this sound like a manner for us to proceed?
    Sounds a good idea. I'll go with Lessons in Chemistry as people seem happy with that. At the moment any month should be OK, though maybe not June 2024.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    You seemed to be able to modify a schedule in previous years. If I created a post with a monthly schedule in it are you able to modify it or should I just copy and paste the schedule into a new message every time there is a change? I appreciate any guidance you have Sarasa during this transition period.
    Nenya wrote: »
    I would be happy to lead a discussion on one of my favourite rereads: Robert Harris's Pompeii . Or in my real-life book group I've been introduced to Patrick Gale and would be interested to read another by him - perhaps Notes From An Exhibition.
    By a nice coincidence, I found a secondhand copy of Notes From An Exhibition in one of our local charity shops this afternoon - obviously I haven't read it yet! I am happy to consider leading two discussions next year, on this and Pompeii, if there are not 12 people wanting to lead. If I were to do that I would prefer not to do two months in a row. At the moment any month should be ok for me, always bearing in mind that Life Happens for everyone.
    I just used to cut and paste my list as the schedule updated. I don't have permissions to edits posts in Heaven.
    It's great we've got a lot of suggestions. We did a Patrick Gale a couple of years back, and I'm not adverse to reading another one.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    OK. If people start listing book, author and preferred month(s), I will start a list.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Mili wrote: »
    Could we do a non-fiction book? We have in the past. 'Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup,' by John Carreyrou sounds interesting and topical. It is about the sham blood testing start up Theranos. It was published in 2018 so hopefully should be available in libraries.

I'm happy to lead for 'Bad Blood' in March before my year gets too busy.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    I'd be happy to do Monstrous Regiment in either January or February.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    January-Monstrous Regiment-Terry Pratchett (Trudy)
    February-
    March-Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyou (Mili)
    April-
    May-
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    December-
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    I very much like @Nenya's suggestion of Pompeii as I've been wanting an excuse to read that!
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Nenya, do you have a preferred month for this book?
    Shall I take February for Robert Harris's Pompeii? That means we are sorted for the first three months of next year.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Perfect.

February-Pompeii- Robert Harris (Nenya)
    March-Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyou (Mili)
    April-
    May-
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    December-
    I could do April for Lessons in Chemistry
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    April-Lessons in Chemistry- Bonnie Garmus (Sarasa)
    May-
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    December-
  • Bump. Any thoughts for May-December?
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I'm keen to do a book we can find on Gutenberg, Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter with a closer look at New England Puritanism, perhaps in April.
  • April is taken but May to December is currently wide open.
    edited December 2023
    The Scarlet Letter would be interesting. Its one of those books I've not read, but think I should have.
    How about Abir Mukherjee's Rising Man for later in the year? It's a fairly light crime novel set in India in 1919.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited December 2023
    Caissa wrote: »
    April is taken but May to December is currently wide open.

What about May or June? I'm easy on the month and the book is available free to read with project Gutenberg so readers won't need advance warning.

@Sarasa, Rising Man sounds good. Your link is wrong though?
  • Let's put the Scarlett letter in May. Did you have a month later in the year in mind, Sarasa?
    Oops sorry about the link. Not sure how that happened. I’m
    On my phone, but I’ll find a proper link tomorrow. October would be good for me.
  • January-Monstrous Regiment-Terry Pratchett (Trudy)
    May- Scarlett Letter-Nathaniel Hawthorne (Mary Louise)
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-Rising Man-Abir Mukherjee (Sarasa)
    November-
    December-
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    I will post a welcome post for the January discussion sometime tomorrow.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Still planning to do the January post tonight, but also, I edited the title of this thread so it's now the ongoing thread for choosing book club books for the year (no longer "planning ahead" as 2024 is upon us now!).
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Bumping for suggestions/volunteers for the empty months.
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    November-
    December-
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Any volunteers for any of the 6 missing months?
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    I will put the March thread up tomorrow, 2nd of March my time.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I have sourced a copy.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I must confess, I have never read a book by Jane Austen. At a second-hand book sale I picked up a copy of Northanger Abbey. Any interest in giving me a reason to read it? I would be happy to facilitate it in July.

Bumping for suggestions/volunteers for the empty months.
    June-
    July-
    August-
    September-
    November-
    December-

Also, is it me, or is participation in the book club declining?
    I said that I was willing to lead two discussions if we didn't have enough people to cover the 12 months so I could lead on Notes From an Exhibition by Patrick Gale in June, if people were interested?

I have, during the course of my life, tried very hard to like Jane Austen and had numerous attempts at several of her books. I think I have tried Northanger Abbey although I don't own a copy. I would like to think I'd be willing to give it another go, but the reality is that I'm unlikely to.

It's true that the last couple of months don't seem to have engendered much interest in the book club but I for one would be sorry if it stopped. For me it's one of the best bits of the Ship and I always read the thread even if I haven't read the book.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Nenya wrote: »
    For me it's one of the best bits of the Ship and I always read the thread even if I haven't read the book.

Same for me ... and I have discovered so many books I've really loved, including one of my absolute favourite authors, through the Ship's Book Group when I might not have heard of them otherwise.

I'd be up for Northanger Abbey -- it's been a long time since I've ready any Austen -- and I'm also willing to lead a second discussion later in the year if I can think of the right book to choose. I'm ruminating on it.

• I always read the book thread even if it's not a book I know or have read. It's encouraged me to go back to try books that I had started but not persisted with.
    When I was a lurker it was one of my most enjoyed threads and I hope to participate more in future