Ask and It Shall Be Given: 2024 General Questions

TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
Here's the thread where Shipmates post those annoying questions you can't seem to find the answer to anywhere else. Drink from the deep, dark well that is the collective wisdom of your Shipmates, and perhaps one of them will know what you're talking about.

The 2023 question thread is now locked, but will remain on the boards for a little while in case you want to respond to a question that someone asked, but the thread got locked before you had the chance to enlighten them.

Comments

• I’ve just got to say, @Trudy has truly outdone herself with thread names for 2024. Well done!

• TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Thank you!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I’ve just got to say, @Trudy has truly outdone herself with thread names for 2024.

Hasn't she just? :)
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I’ve just got to say, @Trudy has truly outdone herself with thread names for 2024.

Hasn't she just? :)

Is that a question? 😁😉
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Perhaps a rhetorical one. :)
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    No answer needed then.😁
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was in a bookshop yesterday and there was a sign that said,

"Dinosaurs didn't read and now they're extinct.

I thought it would be fun to stitch it on a bookmark* to sell at our small community library. I know that there is a name for that kind of statement where there is an implied but false causality between the first and last parts of a statement, but I can't remember what it is and its annoying me.

Help please!

* I stitch the words onto fabric, then photocopy and trim them and laminate the result.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Possibly the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy?

If not that, that same website may refresh your recollection. It lists a lot of fallacies.
  • Huia wrote: »
    I was in a bookshop yesterday and there was a sign that said,

"Dinosaurs didn't read and now they're extinct.

I thought it would be fun to stitch it on a bookmark* to sell at our small community library. I know that there is a name for that kind of statement where there is an implied but false causality between the first and last parts of a statement, but I can't remember what it is and its annoying me.

Help please!

* I stitch the words onto fabric, then photocopy and trim them and laminate the result.

It's kind of the post hoc ergo proctor hoc (after it therefore because of it) fallacy.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited January 24
    Also in this case quite untrue. There are millions of dinosaurs still alive and well; they are widespread over the entire globe, highly successful and some species are of significant economic importance.

They still haven't learnt to read, although some of them can imitate human speech.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    In the 1870s, Orphanage for Girls A had several rules - the orphans had to be legitimate, have had respectable parents, and although they didn't have to have been brought up Church of Scotland, they had to join the C of S as a condition of admittance. Another rule was that Orphanage A would only admit two girls from one family. If the deceased parents had left more than two daughters, the others had to go elsewhere.

Family X were Church of Scotland but when the parents died, two daughters went to Orphanage A and two went to the Roman Catholic orphanage.

Anyone know what the thinking behind the "only two children from one family" rule was?
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    In the 1870s, Orphanage for Girls A had several rules - the orphans had to be legitimate, have had respectable parents, and although they didn't have to have been brought up Church of Scotland, they had to join the C of S as a condition of admittance. Another rule was that Orphanage A would only admit two girls from one family. If the deceased parents had left more than two daughters, the others had to go elsewhere.

Family X were Church of Scotland but when the parents died, two daughters went to Orphanage A and two went to the Roman Catholic orphanage.

Anyone know what the thinking behind the "only two children from one family" rule was?

I have a few dark thoughts given the general emphasis on ephemera concerning the girls rather than the unfortunates themselves that they didn't want the girls looking to siblings for support rather than their preferred adult sources, such as they might have been.

This was a period where empathy appears to have been a bit of a dirty word.
  • An interesting suggestion, KarlLB.
    I guess they also might have thought it would be even harder to get the girls adopted if there were more than 2.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    I don't think there was any suggestion of the orphanage girls in Orphanage A being adopted, unless a family member could take them. Orphanage A had an extensive list of rules* and there's nothing about adoption in any of them.

*e.g. the gardener was not to grow unusual vegetables, but only those vegetables already know to grow reliably in north east Scotland. I suspect the girls' diet featured a lot of kale.

• KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited February 6
    I don't think there was any suggestion of the orphanage girls in Orphanage A being adopted, unless a family member could take them. Orphanage A had an extensive list of rules* and there's nothing about adoption in any of them.

*e.g. the gardener was not to grow unusual vegetables, but only those vegetables already know to grow reliably in north east Scotland. I suspect the girls' diet featured a lot of kale.

Poor sods. I'll eat virtually any vegetables but I draw the line at kale, which is like trying to eat green cellophane.
  • Yes, Kale can be ... challenging. I treat it like Chinese "crispy seaweed", stir fried with garlic, cinnamon and ground coriander.
  • Yes, Kale can be ... challenging. I treat it like Chinese "crispy seaweed", stir fried with garlic, cinnamon and ground coriander.

Yeah... I'm taking a wild guess at boiled, with salt if they were lucky.
  • I have sprained my ankle. I am doing pretty good with a cane and have just received the brace I ordered which feels very comfortable. The problem is not a single shoe in my closet even my fuzzy bedroom slippers will not fit over the brace. The brace is soft and thin on the bottom so would not work walking outside in it. Any suggestions other than buying an extra large pair of shoes which I am afraid might also trip me up?
  • I should add cold wet weather where I live.
  • You could order a boot sole and attach it to the bottom of the brace, or more practically a sandal with adjustable straps might be better than nothing.

• Thanks for the suggestions. Sandal with straps might work.

• Being a lowbrow kind of person, I suggest thick socks with a plastic bag tied over the top in wet conditions. An ace bandage might make one inner layer...
  • carexcarex Shipmate
    When my feet were swollen, I cut up an old shoe so the tongue essentially extended all the way to the toe That let the sides separate further, and I could slip my swollen foot inside. It would have helped to have longer laces to get all the way around the foot, but I managed with the old ones by skipping a couple eyelets on each side.

I now have an assortment of such shoes in the closet, should I need them again.
  • Being a lowbrow kind of person, I suggest thick socks with a plastic bag tied over the top in wet conditions. An ace bandage might make one inner layer...

Indeed that is what I planned for trips to trash cans and the mailbox. I did find a shoe made for people with swollen feet that closes on the heel and top with velcro. They are on order. they should arrive tomorrow from blessed Amazon. Not a big fan of Amazon but sometimes they do come in handy. Today my foot only hurts when I stand. big improvement.
  • Hurray!!!
  • @GravenImage wrote:
    Indeed that is what I planned for trips to trash cans and the mailbox. I did find a shoe made for people with swollen feet that closes on the heel and top with velcro. They are on order. they should arrive tomorrow from blessed Amazon. Not a big fan of Amazon but sometimes they do come in handy. Today my foot only hurts when I stand. big improvement.

My Other Half wears those. He swears by them.
  • Indeed they worked, and are still useable after healing. Not a lot of style, but big on comfort.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Style is vastly overrated - comfort rules!

My wonderful neighbour has a very strong WiFi, She has invited me to share it. When the helpful technician fully connected to it my computer showed a small icon that led to some sites I had downloaded to Internet Explorer on my first computer. Some of the sites no longer exist, but others, mainly craft and recipes still do.

Neither my last computer, nor this one (before it was connected to the more powerful WiFi) showed any signs of this information and my original computer died before I bought the second one, so information was not passed from the first to the second.

Can anyone explain this please? In simple terms.
  • Martin54Martin54 Suspended
    Last week on Radio 4 news whilst driving, I heard an article about a development in laser spectroscopy that will enhance our searching for ET life by an order of magnitude. If that applies to distance, we're looking at gas giants over a thousand light years away already. I'd have thought we can only look at Earth size range planet atmospheres at a fraction, 5% or less of that - 50 light years Before this development. Whatever it is! I can't find any reference to it.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    I suspect this is what you’re looking for.
  • The_RivThe_Riv Shipmate
    Can any one explain to me what it is that prevents the US from discontinuing Daylight Savings Time? We're now into this annual pattern of one chamber or the other passing such legislation, announcements being made about it, but then... nothing. What's the big obstacle?
  • KendelKendel Shipmate
    The_Riv wrote: »
    Can any one explain to me what it is that prevents the US from discontinuing Daylight Savings Time? We're now into this annual pattern of one chamber or the other passing such legislation, announcements being made about it, but then... nothing. What's the big obstacle?
    1) Their sleep is so interrupted from the switch that they cannot function.
    2) the other party likes the idea, so it must be bad.
    3) bipartisan anything would destroy the benefits of a hyper-polarized, over-politicized legislature.

• Martin54Martin54 Suspended
    BroJames wrote: »
    I suspect this is what you’re looking for.

Excellent, thank you @BroJames.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    Kendel wrote: »
    3) bipartisan anything would destroy the benefits of a hyper-polarized, over-politicized legislature.
    Lighter nights mean more opportunity for Mid week cricket.

Telford wrote: »
    Lighter nights mean more opportunity for Mid week cricket.
    Not a big issue in the USA, methinks.
  • KendelKendel Shipmate
    @Telford and @BroJames We have crickets. I live out in the country, where they sing in droves. And not just mid week.

That it stays light until 10 pm though is a pain, because the lightening bugs only show up after dark.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    It's the end of daylight Saving here (NZ) tonight, though some people are pushing for summer timing to be made permanent, which may be OK further north, but would be less welcome further south.

One reason people may have for opposing changing the time that I have seen mentioned is that there are more accidents around the time of changing. I don't know whether this is accurate.
  • KendelKendel Shipmate
    Vocabulary help, please?

What is "PCC AGM?"
    I looked it up and the answers I'm finding are not very meaningful to an American Independent Baptist, now hanging out in a PCA church.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Vocabulary help, please?

What is "PCC AGM?"
    I looked it up and the answers I'm finding are not very meaningful to an American Independent Baptist, now hanging out in a PCA church.
    I think it’s “parish church council” and “annual general meeting.”

At least, that’s if I’m remembering correctly from when I’ve asked the very same question. :wink:

• KendelKendel Shipmate
    Thanks, @Nick Tamen .
    Wonder what such an thing is like? It seems quite different from the Quarterly Business Meetings I'm used to at church.
    At your service, @Kendel.

We have annual congregational meetings in the PC(USA), so I’m assuming an annual general meeting in the Church of England is similar—lots of info sharing, with a very few actual bits of business. (There are only a handful of things congregations in my tribe vote on or decide.)

In England PCCs (Parish/Parochial Church Councils) are legally charities. The membership is mostly elected, and mostly by those on the parish church’s electoral roll. Legally the PCCs are required to report annually to those on the electoral roll on the work of the PCC, the church’s finances, and on the care of church property. It is also quite common to have a report on other activities of the church. Church wardens are elected on this occasion, and also PCC members for the coming year. Often it is one third of the members each year for a three year term. The meeting to elect church wardens is strictly speaking called the Easter Vestry and is held immediately before the PCC’s annual meeting (often referred to as the APCM (Annual Parish/Parochial Church Meeting).
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    The AGM can be a mere formality, with just the legal business. This is often poorly attended, only by those who need to be there. Anyone else who turns up is liable to find themselves roped in for some role or other.

Some churches turn a necessity into a pleasant event, by including more than the minimum, with reports from all church groups, maybe with some sort of entertaining participation from group members, and refreshments or even a meal provided. I have been to some of these and found them interesting and even enjoyable.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Sorry I should have said APCM, not AGM. Same thing.
  • KendelKendel Shipmate
    Thanks, @BroJames and @Puzzler.

Different matter.
    Is the music from "South Pacific" in the public domain, @The_Riv ?

In the US, it seems still to be under copyright protection, per:
    https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html

I don't know what restrictions are on it in the UK.
  • If it's still under copyright in USA it can't be in public domain. Has to be out of copyright everywhere to be classed public domain. Over here in UK works go out of copyright 70 years after the death of the composer/author etc
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I believe it's the same here in the US.
    That’s the case for works published since January 1, 1978. For works published prior to that date, copyrights could be renewed.
    South Pacific copyright was renewed in 1976. After that, the further extensions of copyright were, if I understand it correctly, by statute.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited May 15
    I'm not sure if I should have put this into the recipes thread or not. Because my partner is out of hospital after abdominal surgery, I've been wondering if I should introduce some probiotics into her diet, including fermented lactic acid products such as kefir grains, kombucha and perhaps a milder kimchi. I made litres of kombucha during the Covid pandemic and like it, but she is reluctant to try sour-ish drinks or foods although we consume a lot of organic yoghurt in smoothies and with chopped fruit or cereals.

Has anyone here used these pre- or probiotics and benefited from them?