Anybody here into vinyl (LPs)?

The_RivThe_Riv Shipmate
Thinking I may dip my toe into Audiophilia. Just wondering what experiences some of you may have had or are having. Cheers!

Comments

• RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    edited January 30
    Confession time .... I have been an 'audiophile' for more than fifty years. I never stopped buying and playing vinyl. Yes, I have CD's and now a few hi-res downloads, but I just prefer the sound of proper records. Mind you, Mrs RR opines we could have bought a decent car with what the record player cost.

I have recently set up my son-in-law with a decent record player and an amplifier with a 'phono' input for much less and it sounds just great. Except he tends to play a lot of Bob Dylan on it ..... I give up! But he's happy.

There are some truly excellent 'Hi Fi' shops out there with good products to suit every purse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvswW6M7bMo
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    I was so glad when CD came along. I'm very clumsy and vinyl records have a poor longevity in my hands.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The only vinyl I buy now are second hand vintage ( mostly jazz) records. I refuse to play the ridiculous prices being charged for new ( sometimes re-released) vinyl.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    Bought a new car about 30 months ago. I was in such a rush I didn't realise that it didn't have a spare wheel or a CD player.

Gave away my vinyl years ago.

• KarlLB wrote: »
    I was so glad when CD came along. I'm very clumsy and vinyl records have a poor longevity in my hands.

Ironically, the first recording I destroyed was a CD (Took it out of cd player. Left it on bedside table too close to lamp.)
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    KarlLB wrote: »

Ironically, the first recording I destroyed was a CD (Took it out of cd player. Left it on bedside table too close to lamp.)

I seldom destroyed vinyl - just rendered gradually less and less listenable to.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    There are two very good vintage vinyl shops in Hay, and the other week I found something I'd been keeping an eye out for, for years! It's the Kipper Family (and other folk singers of the 1980s) doing Crab Wars! It's the tale of the rival crab fishing fleets of Sheringham and Cromer, and the star-crossed lovers Cromeo and Sheriet! It's very funny.
  • The_RivThe_Riv Shipmate
    I only have a couple dozen vinyl albums from my childhood (well scratched, I'm sure), along with nearly the same number of 45s, but I've also come into a number of boxes of LPs from my parents, and Mrs. The Riv's grandparents, and it's got me thinking about re-engaging a proper turntable. A guy I ride bikes with is a huge proponent, so he's cheering me on.

I don't know why, but despite working my whole adult life in musical arenas I now have next to nothing at all to play music at home. Currently it's whatever speaker quality exists in out television, and a small bluetooth speaker in the corner of the kitchen. I lucked out that the last use car I bought had what's called "the entertainment package," and that's the best audio system I own. I just want to be able to listen well, now, and hear things in high quality.

I also have boxes and boxes of cassette tapes and CDs, but the vinyl has my attention right now.
  • My 19 year old spends an inordinate amount of money on vinyl, a huge amount of it old, like Pink Floyd albums and early electronic dance music. He’s even bought my old favourite, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Rumors was one of the first albums I bought. It was certainly in the first 10. I still have that copy.
  • When we renovated our living room, Mrs BA and I had installed a custom-built set of drawers and cupboards across a twelve-foot wide wall to accommodate our sound system and records. We thought eight drawers and two cupboards would be sufficient for the CD collection including boxed sets, with four tall drawers to accommodate the LPs. Famous last words. They are now crammed full. The great majority of them are classical music [including the classic recording of the Ring of the Nibelungen by Solti], with a sprinkling of mid-century light music, jazz and popular artists.
  • I can't bring myself to dispose of my vinyl records so I have virtually every record I ever bought from the early 1960s onwards, including The Everly Brothers on 78rpm. If I ever do get around to disposing of them the first to go will be opera box sets because they are so bulky and there's a good chance I'll be able to replace them with CDs.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    The first LP I ever bought was Captain Blood: Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn! Mainly for The Sea Hawk and The Adventures of Robin Hood (I love that trumpet fanfare!), but it also has Don Juan, They Died with their Boots On, Dodge City, Objective Burma (which I have never watched), and The Sun Also Rises.
    I still have the record, and about 5 years ago I walked into the antiquarian section of the bookshop where I work and found more of the same set on display! So now I also have Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk and Captain from Castile. Many of the scores are by Erich Korngold, with some by Alfred Newman.
  • TwangistTwangist Shipmate
    I'm a record collector. Have been for many years.
    I wouldn't call myself an audiophile as that sounds rather expensive and cork sniffy!!
    Buying new vinyl direct from bands is a pretty cool thing as is picking up second hand classics for next to nothing in a charity shop (doesn't happen much these days).
    Pretty varied in genre as I subscribe to the notion (I think from Duke Ellington) that there are only 2 types of music, good and bad.
  • RockyRogerRockyRoger Shipmate
    edited March 13
    The Duke was right ... now where did I put my 'Abba Gold' LP? Ah yes, next to Beethoven, Bruckner and Cat Stevens ....
    RockyRoger wrote: »
    The Duke was right ... now where did I put my 'Abba Gold' LP? Ah yes, next to Beethoven, Bruckner and Cat Stevens ....

Bang on
  • The_RivThe_Riv Shipmate
    Twangist wrote: »
    I'm a record collector. Have been for many years.
    I wouldn't call myself an audiophile as that sounds rather expensive and cork sniffy!!
    Buying new vinyl direct from bands is a pretty cool thing as is picking up second hand classics for next to nothing in a charity shop (doesn't happen much these days).
    Pretty varied in genre as I subscribe to the notion (I think from Duke Ellington) that there are only 2 types of music, good and bad.
    RockyRoger wrote: »

And yet, “it don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing!” LOL :wink:
  • I still have all my vinyl LPs and I still listen to them. I don't buy new ones, though I will pick through the bins at used record stores in search of obscure gems (most recently a couple of Dory Previn albums).
  • I am sure I have some old LPs in our garage (not ideal need a cabinet), I didn't buy a lot of music and occasionally see records come up at auction that I think about buying. Nice bundle of 5 came up yesterday and the price at my first look was very good. Just came back to check and they closed at 100 times their opening price. So interest is strong here and I need to get up to speed!
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    I fail to understand the obsession with vinyl. I was so glad when CDs appeared and we didn't have to fiddle with scratched records and problems with worn needles. I would never want to return to vinyl.
    I like cds too FWIW
  • Merry VoleMerry Vole Shipmate
    I don't have any vinyl but if you're ever in Surbiton you must visit a pub called The Antelope where the only music is a vintage hi-fi playing vinyl LPs of the classic cool 60s/70 scene eg Motown and soul. Oh and real ale too.