Music you'd like at your Funeral

Having just revised my Last Will And Testament, I've made some stipulations as to what I'd like to have at my funeral, music-wise.

Of course, my sorrowing :lol: Family, Heirs, and Assigns etc. are under no compulsion to oblige me, as I won't be there, but I did just wonder what others might have asked to be played or sung at their obsequies,

FWIW, I've requested that my Corpse be brought into the Crematorium to the first 5 minutes or so of Gerald Finzi's Eclogue for Piano and Strings Opus 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQbzZgwfl0

The whole piece is about 11 minutes long, which may be a bit much.

Whilst the weeping throng leaves, this is what I've chosen, but it must be THIS version, on account of the slow-ish start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFWgQT0bZQ

I was tempted by this version of The Bells of Hell, but thought it might offend any churchy peeps present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk6fDdMtuU

No, I can't really take this all as seriously as perhaps I should...

Comments

• ETA:

No hymns. My Family doesn't do hymns (as was painfully evident at Auntie S's funeral last August :grimace: ).
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    U2 I Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For and Where the Streets Have No Name head my list of funeral music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-5YC_oHjE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsrPEUt2Dg
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    1'll be seeing you .
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Into Vaughan Williams Variations on Dives and Lazarus, bit of plaintive Irish folk for the bit in the middle where everyone thoughtfully remembers me, out to Polovetzian Dances by Borodin.
  • ArielAriel Shipmate
    Not having a funeral. But in the days when I thought I would, I was going to have a Latin Mass with plainchant.
  • My ideal would be the Durufle Requiem and Messaien's Ubi Caritas. Won't happen, unless I move to a huge choral foundation before I die, but that is what I hope rings in heaven.
  • Raptor EyeRaptor Eye Shipmate
    edited February 27
    I’ve asked for the hymn ‘Going Home’ to the Hovis music, for anyone there to sing to if they wish, and Bob Dylan’s ‘Ev’ry Grain of Sand’ to listen to, with the words written on the sheet.

I’d also like the nunc to be included.

Apart from that, I’ve given them a few ideas and they can choose whatever they want.
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    Hymns: I want:

I heard the voice of Jesus say (Vaughn Williams tune)
    Great is Thy Faithfulness
    Guide me O thou Great Redeemer.
  • Another vote here for GMOTGJ, though I have been somewhat perturbed to discover that, since I first heard Half Man Half Biscuit"s "Midnight Mass Murder", I now struggle to get through my favourite hymn without singing the chorus about chips (beware, very sweary):
    https://youtu.be/27d9CAUnX-k?si=IEoS0KeMZzlcXVCv
  • The Kyrie from William Byrd's Mass for 4 voices.

Lord, it belongs not to my care (St Hugh)
    Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken (Austria)
    O for a Thousand Tongues (Lyngham)

• SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    Oh, and I want this reading of the prayer by John Donne:

Bring us, o Lord God, at our last awakening
    into the house and gate of Heaven,
    to enter into that gate and dwell in that house,
    where there shall be no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light;
    no noise nor silence, but one equal music;
    no fears or hopes, but one equal possession;
    no ends or beginnings, but one equal eternity,
    in the habitations of thy glory and dominion,
    world without end.

• ThunderBunkThunderBunk Shipmate
    edited February 27
    https://youtu.be/skwx_n8DNXc?si=MWjb7OWOJlauRZ86

(William Harris's setting of the Donne sonnet just quoted)

Yes please.
  • HarryCHHarryCH Shipmate
    Be Thou My Vision

This is My Song
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Sparrow wrote: »
    Oh, and I want this reading of the prayer by John Donne:

Bring us, o Lord God, at our last awakening
    into the house and gate of Heaven,
    to enter into that gate and dwell in that house,
    where there shall be no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light;
    no noise nor silence, but one equal music;
    no fears or hopes, but one equal possession;
    no ends or beginnings, but one equal eternity,
    in the habitations of thy glory and dominion,
    world without end.
    It’s Eric Milner-White’s (of Nine Lessons and Carols fame) adaptation of a lovely passage from the end of a sermon Donne preached at Whitehall, taking as his text Acts 7.60 on the death of Stephen, “And when he had said this he fell asleep.”
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Highway to Hell
    Stairway to Heaven

The mourners can draw their own conclusions.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Telford wrote: »
    1'll be seeing you .

I think there'll be a lot at the funeral I shan't be seeing later....... (But that's not for me to judge, of course.)
  • Blue Suede Shoes, Elvis.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    All people that on earth do dwell - Old Hundredth*
    I to the hills will lift mine eyes - Dundee (with the long notes!)
    Guide me, O thou great Jehovah - Cwm Rhondda

* I'd like it with the RVW harmonies, fanfares etc, but I very much doubt that anyone at St Pete's would be up to it.

I'd have liked the Byrd Mass for Four Voices too, but that ain't happening either.

I wonder if they could stretch to a recording of Master Tallis's Testament at the start, and La Mourisque by Susato at the end?

And if they use any liturgy other than Cranmer's matchless prose, I'm going to do some haunting ... 😈
    Gee D wrote: »
    1'll be seeing you .

I think there'll be a lot at the funeral I shan't be seeing later....... (But that's not for me to judge, of course.)

The concept is that mourners will be seeing the deceased.
  • In a perfect world...

- as much of Victoria's Requiem as reasonably possible
    - Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness (Cruger/RVW NEH 280)
    - I bind unto myself today (NEH 159)
    - How shall I sing that majesty (Tallis, NEH 373)

We have a tradition at our shack of the organ transcription of Nimrod being played as the postlude at funerals, which I would not turn down if it were on offer.
  • 'Amazing Grace'. Cliched I know, but for me it says it all! The last Post. My friend Pastor David will be the celebrant. He has a recording of 'The Last Post' played dreadfully badly - off key, wrong notes, wonky speed - by a Boys' Brigade Brass Band. No one surely can fail to be cheered by that.
    Oh yes, Bruckner's 'Locus Isti'.
    'I hope it's not this year', says Mrs RR, 'I'm fed up with Bruckner, it being his centenial on BBC Radio 3.'
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    https://youtu.be/skwx_n8DNXc?si=MWjb7OWOJlauRZ86

(William Harris's setting of the Donne sonnet just quoted)

Yes please.

Oh to have a choir to do that justice. That and Faire is the Heaven.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60kaA7Togw
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    I have done a funeral plan to take the responsibility off my loved ones shoulders. It includes both Cwm Rhondda and Blaenwern, and a couple of 20th century RC hymns - Eagles Wings and Because the Lord is my Shepherd at the requiem.
    As people leave the crem I want Gracie Fields singing Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye. I had thought of Smoke gets in your eyes - probably too macabre, and Colours of Day with its incredible apt chorus that swings along in triple time
    "So light up the fire and let the flame burn,
    Open the door, let Jesus return,"
  • Alain Stivell’s “Ys”. to go in, the syncopated version of “Be thou my vision “ and Iona’s “Journey into the Morn” to go out.
  • I would like my funeral to end with the last movement of the Berlioz Te Deum starting from when the bass sections of the two choirs sing to each other then the boys get involved.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sNsZ-BuGKDQ[/url] from 43:15.

Would probably need to be a recording as my church isn't big enough for the 935 performers required and doesn't have an organ.
  • Definitely a service in church followed by either burial or cremation - whichever is cheaper!
    Before the service I'd like a selection of secular music to include ELO's Mr Blue Sky, something from the Dudley Moore Trio, Everytime we say goodbye sung by Ella Fitzgerald and Nina Simone singing My Baby don't care.

Hymns: Difficult to pin down but I'm thinking Calon Lan (in Welsh!) and Guide me, O thou great Redeemer; and Psalm 67 sung to "the" Wesley chant. I'd like the choir to sing (or a recording to be played of) the Nunc Dimittis by Dyson in F and Edgar Bainton's And I saw a new heaven.

As they carry me out I want the congregation to sit and listen to Bach's Fantasia on Komm, Heiliger geist; then as they leave the final movement of Mendelssohn's violin concerto.

Party afterwards with decent food and champagne.

I have a Banned List which includes: Crimond; Abide with me; Lord of all hopefulness; Jesu, joy of man's desiring, The lark ascending, and Nimrod.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Oh, dear, I rather like The Lark Ascending!
  • betjemaniacbetjemaniac Shipmate
    edited February 28
    while everyone's sitting around in the church beforehand a selection of the Dead March from Saul, David of the White Rock, Isle of Beauty, Oft in the Stilly Night.

Coffin into the Church to Dido's Lament (if they can fit the Massed Bands of the Household Division and the Royal Marines into the churchyard then they can play it).

Depending on location order of service to be either by the book 1662 BCP or a High Mass of Requiem.

HYMNS - The Church's One Foundation, All is Safely Gathered In, Eternal Father Strong to Save, Ye Who Own the Faith of Jesus.

Lots and Lots of Incense at the commendation.

Coffin out to For All the Saints (yes, it's a 5 hymn funeral, I can do what I like).

Interment in the churchyard. Or internment, which is one of the better typos I've seen at a funeral and one which I wouldn't mind going into the order of service accidentally on purpose.

Local huntsman to blow Gone Away and Home over the grave.

It's going to be a spectacle, and it's going to keep as many people as possible as busy as possible.

When my mother died - not unexpectedly - 10 years ago and left no instructions whatsoever it was awful.

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    For the gathering music, recordings of Bach Keyboard Concerto in G minor, BWV 1058 with András Schiff at the piano. Also Brandenburg Concertos 5 and 3. The hymn I most want is And Can It Be.
    If Amazing Grace or How Great Thou Art are sung, like Piglet, I will threaten a haunting!
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    At the graveside, which will be alongside Mr Puzzler in a beautiful woodland setting, my family are welcome to use they same playlist as we had for him last year.
    Rutter: The Lord is my shepherd ( from his Requiem) for the walk to the grave.
    Purcell- Thou knowest, Lord, the secrets of our hearts
    Bridge over troubled water (Simon and Garfunkel)
    Rutter- The Lord bless you and keep you.
    Taizé: Jesus, remember me.

If they want a church service I guess the family should choose hymns they know, which aren’t many, as they are no longer church goers, but I would like the choir to sing Hylton Stewart’s Nunc Dimittis. ( Not my most favourite of all, but this is a version the choir can do well).

I would add Bainton’s And I saw a new heaven, but the church choir isn’t good enough to manage it, unless they import singers from my other two choirs. I would have to leave very precise instructions about that.
    Failing that, View me Lord (Richard Lloyd).

And family tradition dictates that TDS’s Lord of the years should feature.
  • AravisAravis Shipmate
    “Come down O love divine” (complete with hints of cremation!)
    I’m undecided about other hymns - possibly “O God our help in ages past” or “For all the saints”. Or is that presumptuous, as it might imply I am saintly when I’m not?

Definitely the final chorale from Bach’s St John Passion at some point; live would be ideal, but I’d rather a good recording than a bad performance, and with a translation of the words on the service sheet.

The other recorded music I want played is Rush “The Garden”, if I die a peaceful death after a long life. Should I die in tragic circumstances (unlikely) that can be replaced with Rush “Bravado”.

I am somewhat tempted by the Life of Brian finale “Always look on the bright side of life”.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    I haven't fully thought out this but would definitely like
    Common Worship rather than 1662, particularly because of the way Common Worship separates the tributes from the sermon and is a service structured with a clear journey. Part of me would quite like a Requiem, but that might make the service a bit long.

I haven't decided yet what to open with.

The Psalm I'd prefer is what was traditionally the funeral psalm, Tate and Brady metrical version of Psalm 90 to St Stephen. It's long and would have to be a selection but the selection needs to include,
    "3 You turn us back into the dust,
    from which we first were made:
    And when you speak the word, "Return,"
    'tis instantly obey'd.

4 For in your sight a thousand years
    are like a day that's past:
    Or like a watch in dead of night,
    whose hours un-minded waste."

and
    "10 Our term of life is sev'nty years,
    an age that few survive;
    But if, with more than common strength,
    to eighty we arrive;

Yet then our boasted strength decays,
    to sorrow turned, and pain:
    So soon the slender thread is cut,
    and we no more remain"

I'd like at the end a version of the Nunc Dimittis, and when the coffin with me in it goes out, Thine be the Glory. I'd also quite like it to be splattered.

• Aravis wrote: »
    or “For all the saints”. Or is that presumptuous, as it might imply I am saintly when I’m not?

I've seen it used at a funeral. I think there was more mischief there than assumption of saintliness, and also it's just a good football terrace hymn that everyone can shout along to.

Big occasions need football terrace hymns that you can imagine a crowd bawling out - whether they would these days or not.
  • I have a Banned List which includes: Crimond; Abide with me; Lord of all hopefulness; Jesu, joy of man's desiring, The lark ascending, and Nimrod.

I’ve threatened to haunt Darllenwr if he picks The Old Rugged Cross or The Day Thou Gavest” - words are quite good, tune is awful.
  • Alan29 wrote: »
    I have done a funeral plan to take the responsibility off my loved ones shoulders.
    So have I. After multiple instances of me turning to my wife during church and saying “You know I want this at my funeral, right?,” and her answering “Then you know you need to write it down, right?,” I have made a detailed plan. My family will be amused at and entertained by the detail, I suspect. I have at least differentiated between those things I’d choose and the much smaller number of things I consider must-dos, or must-not-dos.

I’ve suggested that hymns, or perhaps more accurately hymn-tunes, be played before the service. That’s fairly common in these parts, and I’ve given a list of tunes I’d choose, as well as some that should not be chosen. I have noted that, if the organist knows it, I would very much like for the last piece played before the service starts to be Gordon Young’s “Voluntary on Kremser.”

As for hymns, they are:
    • “All Creatures of Our God and King”/LASST UNS ERFREUEN
    • “Jesus Christ Is Risen Today”/EASTER HYMN (the last verse only, as a response to the Thanksgiving for Baptism)
    • “I to the Hills Will Lift My Eyes”/DUNDEE (Like @Piglet, with the long notes)
    • “The Lone, Wild Bird”/PROSPECT
    • “My Shepherd Will Supply My Need”/RESIGNATION
    • “Now Thank We All Our God”/NUN DANKET ALLE GOTT
    • “God Be the Love to Search and Keep Me” (“O Christ, Surround Me”)/GREEN TYLER (as the family, and my ashes, l
    If there is a choir, I’ve requested Alfred Fedak’s “The Falconer” (text by Richard Leach). For the sung parts of the Great Thanksgiving (Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation and Amen), I would like Richard Proulx’s adaptation of the Zum Sanctus (“Heilig, Heilig, Heilig”) from the Schubert Deutsche Messe.

I have mentioned on the Ship before that I write hymns, but I haven’t included any of my own on the list. I’ve suggested that if the family really wants to sing any hymns of mine, that could happen during Communion.

(yes, it's a 5 hymn funeral, I can do what I like).
    I’ll see your 5 and raise you 2. :lol:

Meanwhile, @Enoch, “For All the Saints” is a very common funeral hymn in my part of the world, particularly in Presbyterian and Episcopal churches.

• Songs I’ve requested for my funeral:

Hide and Seek by Howard Jones

Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum,

All Things Must Pass as sung by Paul McCartney at the Concert for George.

All 3 songs mean a lot to me, and I hope they bring some comfort to my friends and family.
    I’ve written a letter of intent which is with our wills at the solicitors, and it’s on my pc desktop.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    On the subject of For all the saints, it was what finished me off at the first Choral Evensong I sang in after David died; by the time the choir was halfway down the nave I was in floods. :cry:
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    And if they use any liturgy other than Cranmer's matchless prose, I'm going to do some haunting ... 😈
    Let’s hope it’s good weather, then. Sentences (which may be sung), Psalm and reading of 1 Cor 15.20ff in church.

Everything else is at the grave side: more sentences (which may also be sung); committal; verse from Revelation - “I heard a voice from heaven” - (which may also be sung); Kyries in English; Lord’s Prayer; two more prayers and the Grace. (No hymns in Cranmer’s liturgy.)
    The coffin of an old colleague of mine was lowered to the tune of Z Cars.
  • Telford wrote: »

Wow!

Wow!

He was not an Everton supporter by the way.
  • Ha ha ...

Let me guess ...

Traffic warden? Fireman?

Meanwhile, so many funerals, so little time. Funeral attendance is a national hobby in my native South Wales. My Dad always said my Uncle Roger should be in The Guinness Book of Records for it.

Reading the musical choices here I'd like to attend quite a few of everyone's here. Well, most people's ...

There are some choices here that would deter even the most resolute funeral attender.
    I see a lot of you going for the grand send-offs, whereas I'm just expecting my 15 minutes at the crem. Because on the whole I'm not expecting to be shoved out to sea in a flaming longship surrounded by treasure. Though if that happens 'Freedom Come All Ye' from the pipers on the quayside.
  • Firenze wrote: »
    I see a lot of you going for the grand send-offs, whereas I'm just expecting my 15 minutes at the crem.
    Services at a crematorium are not a thing here; it’s something I’ve only heard of on the Ship.

• AnnAnn Shipmate Posts: 45
    Alan29 wrote: »

As people leave the crem I want Gracie Fields singing Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye. I had thought of Smoke gets in your eyes - probably too macabre, and Colours of Day with its incredible apt chorus that swings along in triple time
    "So light up the fire and let the flame burn,
    Open the door, let Jesus return,"

It was a suggestion of these hymn/songs for a duneral in a very very old thread on the earlyiest ship boards (on dial-up) whiuch convinced me that the ship was a website worth following!

Ha ha ...

Let me guess ...

Traffic warden? Fireman?
    Close but no prize

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Firenze wrote: »
    I see a lot of you going for the grand send-offs, whereas I'm just expecting my 15 minutes at the crem.
    Services at a crematorium are not a thing here; it’s something I’ve only heard of on the Ship.
    Nick, just to give you an idea of what a crematorium chapel looks like, this is me reading (from 1 Cor 13) at my partner's funeral last week https://photos.app.goo.gl/nm3hua6wzBTWXqfd7
    Characteristic is the lack of specific religious - or often any - imagery, and the presence of a large screen and a lectern. They are a neutrality to be inhabited by whatever form of farewell you chose.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Gee D wrote: »
    1'll be seeing you .

The concept is that mourners will be seeing the deceased.

I understand that, but my hope (and faith) is that my destination is one which I doubt will be that of many attending.
  • BarnabasBarnabas Shipmate Posts: 32
    Amazing grace on the bagpipes on the way in. Mrs Barnabas had it as she came down the aisle at our wedding and we'll both have it at our end. And at some point Sunshine on Leith by the Proclaimers. I'm not a Hibs fan (Dunfermline Athletic if anything...) but I just love it. My mother left only one suggestion that I followed: at the end of her service we had the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba as it's quite brisk and lively, she didn't want people hanging around and it might encourage them to move!!