Desert Island Discs

TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
Have we ever done this ?
The idea is to select things you would take to a desert island
8 pieces of music, a book and a luxury item.
I believe that everyone gets the complete works of Shakespeare and The Bible.

My choices ( in no particular order)
American Pie...Don Mclean
Ruby Tuesday...Melanie Safka
The air that I breathe...The Hollies
Dan my fling...Carly Simon
One night...Elvis Presley
Georgy Girl...The Seekers
Stars..Philip Quast
My Joe ( Carmen Jones) ...Olga James

Book. The Source...James Michener
Luxury item...My bed

Comments

  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Book. The Manufacture Of Madness by Thomas Szasz

    (Not sure I entirely agree with the premise, but a great read in any case.)

    Music is hard to do, because tastes change over time. I'm rapidly becoming sick of my current YouTube playlist, so for now, I'll just go with that old standard...

    Amazing Grace

    And let's just say the Judy Collins version, 'cuz I saw her do it live once, and it sounded pretty good when I watched the video just now.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    I'm also gonna say the VIDEO of Blondie performing Sunday Girl and Dreaming back-to-back on TOTP in 1979. But the video is a sine qua on this one.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    stetson wrote: »
    I'm also gonna say the VIDEO of Blondie performing Sunday Girl and Dreaming back-to-back on TOTP in 1979. But the video is a sine qua on this one.

    Dreaming is free.
  • I don't know if I could pick 8 individual pieces of music to take to my desert island. I tend to listen to compilation cds as I'm a bit cheap! I would probably take some Jane Austen with me and some nice instrumental music.

    Luxury item, I think a bed is a must, if one was supplied I'd take some nice moisturising cream. I imagine being on a desert island to be quite drying!!
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    8 pieces of music:

    "The River," Bruce Springsteen
    "Up the Wolves," the Mountain Goats
    "Hold Me Jesus," Rich Mullins
    "Come Dancing," The Kinks
    "Of Your Son," Bruce Guthro
    "Graceland," Paul Simon
    "Let Me Fish Off Cape St. Mary's," The Irish Descendants
    "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," U2
    [presumably "what I'm looking for" would at this point be a way off this island]

    Book: Gaudy Night, by Dorothy L. Sayers

    Luxury item: Now that @Telford has mentioned it, I'm not sure how anyone could choose any luxury item other than a good-quality bed. I suppose a flush toilet with an extremely large septic tank would be another option, but I'd still go for the bed as a good night's sleep makes everything better and you do spend 1/3 of your life in bed (maybe more if there's not much to do on a desert island).
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    I used to hear Desert Island Discs on the radio when I was a kid (my mum listened to it avidly) and could never understand why nobody ever asked for a record player as their luxury
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    Trudy wrote: »
    "Up the Wolves," the Mountain Goats
    As a fan of West Bromwich Albion, I couldn't be doing with this one, however nice it may be.
    Spike wrote: »
    I used to hear Desert Island Discs on the radio when I was a kid (my mum listened to it avidly) and could never understand why nobody ever asked for a record player as their luxury

    I have always asumed there would be one but it is never stated as such.
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    Telford wrote: »
    Spike wrote: »
    I used to hear Desert Island Discs on the radio when I was a kid (my mum listened to it avidly) and could never understand why nobody ever asked for a record player as their luxury

    I have always asumed there would be one but it is never stated as such.

    And where would they plug it in?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    It would be solar powered, or a wind-up model, or even a combination of both.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    edited March 21
    BroJames wrote: »
    It would be solar powered, or a wind-up model, or even a combination of both.

    Or it would come with a lifetimes supply of batteries.
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    Telford wrote: »
    BroJames wrote: »
    It would be solar powered, or a wind-up model, or even a combination of both.

    Or it would come with a lifetimes supply of batteries.

    Can I ask for batteries as my luxury then?
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    Batteries would be automatic I assume, the same as a ready supply of food and water. The important thing is the choice of music.
Sign In or Register to comment.