8th Day board available for next topic

RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
The current experiment on the 8th Day board, Write or Wrong, has run its course. I'll be clearing out its discussions in a day or two.

If you're interested in proposing something for the 8th Day, please see the Policies and procedures.

Comments

• The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    There's been a few threads on this topic recently so how about something on the afterlife? I know the procedure for getting a proposal together etc but I'm using this thread to see if there is any interest first.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited December 1
    I'm punting this here to see if there's any interest for running an 8th Day temporary board based around relationships in the New Year. This partly came out of a post that had me wondering if it would be worth running a dating thread around Valentine's Day, as has happened a couple of times in the past. There may be some mileage in discussions around dealing with relationships - maybe an agony aunt thread. And I wasn't around for this, but maybe it could include a short revival of T&T?
  • T&T was always good for some yuks, and some insightful stuff too.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    What is T&T?
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Waaaay back in the 'aughts we had a temporary board called "Tits & Testicles" to discuss (almost) everything sexual, and some things that were not.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    Oh yes, now I think I remember that being mentioned before.
  • Everything except moon cups. Don't get us started or it'll be deleted.
  • What’s wrong with moon cups ?
  • Moon cups are excellent. But not sexual.
  • What’s wrong with moon cups ?

You tell me. We had a fascinating thread going about them during the last T&T board which was deleted without warning, and scant explanation was given.
  • Moon cups are excellent. But not sexual.

No one said they were.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    For someone who doesn't get started about moon cups, mousethief seems to be discussing them a lot.
    mousethief wrote: »
    We had a fascinating thread going about them during the last T&T board which was deleted without warning, and scant explanation was given.

That has to be some kind of record, when there's a complaint in the Styx about a hosting decision that predates not only my term as an Admin, but also might have happened before I was a Hellhost. Perhaps there should be bonus points for it happening on a board that only a few Shipmates even remember existing.
  • I take it that no-one wants an 8th Day board on relationships, then? So we don't want to run a dating thread around Valentine's Day? (I'm sorry I mentioned T&T.)

That's fine, no need to find other hosts and/or write a proposal.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host, 8th Day Host
    I think the idea of a relationships board would be really good actually. If people could stop getting distracted.

I know that relationships are really tough, and there are a lot of challenges for shipmates. It would be interesting to discuss this.

I am no up to help host, but I think ther emust be others who are interested.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    We had a fascinating thread going about them during the last T&T board which was deleted without warning, and scant explanation was given.

That has to be some kind of record, when there's a complaint in the Styx about a hosting decision that predates not only my term as an Admin, but also might have happened before I was a Hellhost. Perhaps there should be bonus points for it happening on a board that only a few Shipmates even remember existing.

So why was the Small Fire board abandoned?
    (not a real complaint, just responding to RooK's challenge). :wink:
    Huia wrote: »
    Because it burned out?
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    For someone who doesn't get started about moon cups, mousethief seems to be discussing them a lot.

May I suggest you look up what "don't get me started on X" means? Because you clearly don't know.
  • I am still resisting the urge to google moon cups.
  • Moon cups are one of the reusable products for managing menstruation. These are soft silicon/plastic cups that are inserted inside the vagina to catch the blood flow, emptied, rinsed and reused. There are a number of variants now, called slightly different names: moon, lily and tulip cups exist, If they work they are brilliant, but they are not always appropriate.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    May I suggest you look up what "don't get me started on X" means? Because you clearly don't know.
    Ah.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    edited December 5
    RooK wrote: »
    Huia wrote: »
    Because it burned out?

Technically it was not abandoned but merged with what was then the Mystery Worship board to create Ecclesiantics. The predominance of Mystery Worshipper types on the new board made it hard for the Small Fire discussions to take. It should be noted that the Small Fires board was originally created to run alongside the Small Fire Column. The column had been defunct for a couple of years by the time the merger happened. Also that there had been hosting problems with the Small Fire board just prior to the merger which caused the exit of certain key players.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Jengie Jon wrote: »
    The predominance of Mystery Worshipper types on the new board made it hard for the Small Fire discussions to take.
    I also think that Small Fire is a hard discussion topic. I'm an Emerging Church type person myself, but I wouldn't know very well what to discuss about it.
  • This was Alternative Worship rather than Emerging Church. The discussion would often focus on specific worship activities. For instance, there were discussions on the appropriateness of the Piss Christ use within worship. Another discussion was one looking for actions to represent confession.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    This was Alternative Worship rather than Emerging Church.
    LOL, I never know which term to use in English.

• No idea what "small fire" refers to, but playing with fire is one of life's simple pleasures. Then you put things on sticks and hold it in the fire to roast them. After, you make the ends of the sticks glow with red hit coals and everyone waves them around in the fading dusk until someone burns a hole in something or someone. Life's simple pleasures.
  • OK, can I just ask the question again, because it seems to be getting lost:
    I'm punting this here to see if there's any interest for running an 8th Day temporary board based around relationships in the New Year. This partly came out of a post that had me wondering if it would be worth running a dating thread around Valentine's Day, as has happened a couple of times in the past. There may be some mileage in discussions around dealing with relationships - maybe an agony aunt thread. <snip>

Because at least one other Shipmate thinks it would be a good idea:
    I think the idea of a relationships board would be really good actually. If people could stop getting distracted.

I know that relationships are really tough, and there are a lot of challenges for shipmates. It would be interesting to discuss this.

I am no up to help host, but I think there must be others who are interested.

So is there any interest, or should:
    I take it that no-one wants an 8th Day board on relationships, then? So[And] we don't want to run a dating thread around Valentine's Day? <snip>
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host, 8th Day Host
    Small Fire was what brought me to the ship. I am sorry it has gone, but I think maybe we have moved on. I have, but I have only been able ot move on becasue of some of the discussions held there.

Relationships board? Come on people. You know you want to.
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    This was Alternative Worship rather than Emerging Church.
    LOL, I never know which term to use in English.

I cannot go back further that Alt.worship but

Alt.worship - a group of people engaged in trying to re-imagine worship so it was relevant to them. Largely UK and Australia, the US was late to pick up on this movement.
    Emerging Church - The idea that followed that, that the church was changing and a new form was appearing. I tend to see this as American but in origin
    Liquid Church -A movement that suggests that because modern society is in a liquid state suggests that the Church needs to adapt and how.
    Fresh Expressions - An attempt by largely mainline institutional churches to enable the experimentation to take place within the current institutions.

I tend to view each as another tide washing over the shore of the Church. Each changes the form the beach takes in different ways

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    I'm an 8th Day host; I can certainly help.
  • And once again, what is small fire?
    And once again, what is small fire?
    A fire that is not large (subjectively speaking).

Also, as indicated in some previous posts, a previous discussion board on the Ship addressing the corners of cult space with varying Venn inclusion in the greater cult space of christianity.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    It would be good to see a new 8th Day discussion and relationships sounds like a good topic. I'm afraid I have no capacity to help with hosting just now, though.

Nen - long term married with plenty of Opinions.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    1. Small Fire was amalgamated with the Mystery Worship board to make the Ecclesiantics board. At:Worship could still be discussed there I believe (unless a host or admin says differently).
    2. I could help host a relationship board, if it is to get the go ahead,
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Click here to see the procedure for going forward with an 8th Day board.