Football World Cup

TukaiTukai Shipmate
So how do shipmates rate the chances of "their" team?

For me, Australia will do well to get out of the group. To do so they have to avoid being thrashed in their first game by the top seed in their group like their loss to Germany in 2014. It's France this time , whose defence is reportedly not up to the high standard of their attack. But France may be up by a goal or two in the first ten minutes unless Australia switch on from the kick off.

Le Roc with Brazil must fancy their chances?

Comments

• LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited June 8
    Tukai wrote: »
    Le Roc with Brazil must fancy their chances?
    Yeah, much more than last time. Their defeat in 2014 didn't come unexpected to me after watching their friendlies and preparations up until that Cup. Now they seem to be doing better. It still isn't the best Brazilian team ever, but some of the other countries don't seem to be on the top of their game either, so I give Brazil a good chance.

On another note, I've tipped Belgium as a dangerous outsider for a couple of World Cups now, here's me hoping they'll finally make this come true.
  • Gath fachGath fach Shipmate
    My team didn't qualify, not that it bothers me much
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Obviously, the U.S. failed to qualify--deservedly so, they were horrible. My default team is to go with my family heritage and cheer on Germany. There have been some interesting omissions from the team, but Germany is always dangerous in tournaments. On the other hand, it is tough to repeat.

Pretending like I have actual applicable data that can be converted to numbers so that it sounds scientific, I will say that Germany has a 30% chance of winning it all. Maybe 31%. Depending on weather, which is a variable of +/- 2.64%. As any ful knows.
  • As one sports journalist here said, "Iceland is everyone's second favourite team". Which reminds me, I must fill out my pool submission over morning tea before church.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    It's worth remembering that until recently European sides have won when the tournament is held in Europe and South American teams win when it is held in the Americas. If we disregards the tournaments has been held in South Africa and Japan then every tournament except those in 1958 (Brazil won in Sweden) and 2014 (Germany won in Brazil) has followed that "rule".

I'm pretty sure England will make an embarrassing exit, which is no fault of the manager: While there are plenty of good England-qualified players, too few of them are playing for the better clubs, so they just aren't used to playing skilful, winning football. Then again, Gareth Southgate could bring the team home early because of racist and homophobic abuse from local "fans". It could get very nasty out there.
  • Don't care who wins, but am loving this unofficial World Cup Anthem.
    Hey Duggee Kick Song
  • 1. I have enjoyed the CONIFA World Football Cup games, that have just ended in London. (Karpatalya beat Northern Cyprus on penalties in the final). Football as it should be played! If FIFA 2018 can match that for entertainment, it won't have done badly.

2. England are probably in the best position for years. No hyped-up expectations, no attempt at trying to fit in "star" players who are either injured or past it. Southgate - for all the panning he gets - seems to be a pretty good international manager (which is very different from being a club manager); he knows what he wants from the players and seems able to get them to play according to that plan. Lack of experience could be a drawback but could also act in their favour. Failing to get out of the group stage will still be seen as "failure" but a lot depends on how the group of players perform. Overall, I would be happy with getting out of the group; really happy with an exit at the quarter finals. Anything more than that would be miraculous.

3. I am hoping that players like Pickford, Alexander-Arnold and Alli will finish the tournament with reputations enhanced. If so, they could go on to become the nucleus of a pretty good side in future years.

4. The player I have most concerns about is Sterling. If he is in form, he could be great but too often when I have seen him play (especially for England), he is wasteful in front of goal and then becomes a liability rather than an asset. At the moment, I would prefer Rashford or Lingard to him.
  • Could have sworn I'd posted a link to this:
    Hey Duggee Kick Song
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    is anyone doing a fantasy team thing, or a "guess the results" thing ?
    I set up leagues for both types of competition at work on Superbru.com

i know it's quite short notice but would anyone be interested in having a "league of fools" on this ?
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    "My" team didn't make it to Russia: the children will cast an eye over the England matches but they don't see them as potential winners.
    "My" team didn't make it to Russia: the children will cast an eye over the England matches but they don't see them as potential winners.

At first sight it's difficult to work out how Wales have failed to qualify year after year while the Republic of Ireland and even Northern Ireland get to qualify so often, but when you realise that they usually get in a group with Germany it does become more difficult. Maybe the team isn't at it's very strongest right now but with a complete squad they could compete with all but the very best.

There are some surprises among the absentees: The Dutch won't be there, nor many of the eastern and central European sides eg, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and the Czechs that were regulars when only 16 sides qualified, but the most surprising absentees must be Italy*. As Hedgehog said, the USA won't be there, and had the tournament not been in Russia then the Russians probably wouldn't have qualified either. My how have the mighty fallen.

Uruguay ought to lead the group Russia is in but Russia also have to fight it out with Saudi Arabia and Egypt both of whom, and especially the latter, are well capable of beating Russia.

*Italy lost in a play-off against Sweden which is bad news because the Swedes are always the most boring team in any tournament.
  • Sionisias wrote:
    Then again, Gareth Southgate could bring the team home early because of racist and homophobic abuse from local "fans". It could get very nasty out there.

Sorry, am I missing something?
    Sionisias wrote:
    Then again, Gareth Southgate could bring the team home early because of racist and homophobic abuse from local "fans". It could get very nasty out there.

Sorry, am I missing something?

Black players, from overseas and those contracted to Russian clubs have been on the receiving end of abuse and death threats when playing in Eastern Europe. It's a problem elsewhere too, and still exists in Britain and France which have substantial numbers of black players, but this tournament is in Russia and Russia isn't well known for its tolerance of diversity.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Russia off to a great start after thrashing Saudi Arabia 5-0. I don't know about heir players, but I suspect that some Russian fans perceive the Saudis as akin to a bunch of Muslim terrorists, and will rejoice accordingly.
    We'll see tomorrow if Australia (who qualified behind Saudi Arabia) can do better against their first opponent - France, who on paper are are a much stronger team than Russia.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Uruguay not impressing so far. But you never now what Suárez does in the last minute.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Spain–Portugal very good game.
    I think that match shows why England aren’t going to win the World Cup. For once it really was the Beautiful Game.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    LOL Iran is heading Group B.
    LeRoc wrote: »
    Spain–Portugal very good game.
    Exceptional game. One wished they could just keep playing.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    LOL Iran is heading Group B.

Iran won largely thanks to their goal-keeper, who had a much better game than some of his much-heralded peers. (I'm thinking here of De Gea.)
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I'm not a real fan, but this warmed my heart.
  • Let's all hail Iceland!
    Argentina 1 - Iceland 1
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Hmm, both Morocco and Peru started with a bang but lost in the end. Maybe that's not the right way?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host
    Let's all hail Iceland!
    Argentina 1 - Iceland 1
    I just popped in to say well done Iceland - holding the Argentinians to a draw is no mean feat! :smiley:
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    And with Messi missing a penalty  …
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Australia were doing almost as well as Iceland against a more fancied opponent, but didn't enjoy as much luck.
    They were the victims of a dubious penalty awarded by the VAR after the ref waved play on - it looked dubious even on the replay as the Aus defender slid into a tackle got the ball and the French attacker dived over the top of him. And the French penalty taker made no mistake, as you would expect at this level, especially in ordinary time (as distinct from in a shoot-out after extra time).
    The second French goal also benefitted from technology, though less contoversially The ball hit the crossbar, bounced down to about 2 cm behind the goal-line (as the goal-line camera showed) , and then bounced out. So it was 0-0 at half time, but 2-1 to France at full-time.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Well well.
    Germany falls to Mexico, 1-0. In the first half, Germany had little answer to Mexico's quick counterattacks, and the second half was the standard 11-in-the-box defense from Mexico.

I suspect that Germany will still advance from the group stage and an opening loss may be a useful wake-up call for the team.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    ...And its been reported that the celebrations in Mexico City were such that they registered as a small earthquake on the seismological recording equipment they have there :lol:
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    So, one thing we can conclude is that the "big" countries are vulnerable. Spain, Argentina, Germany, Brazil. None of them won their first game. I expect most of them to go through but still. France won, but by a hair (and I wouldn't consider them a favourite).

Can't say I'm excited about this Cup yet. Maybe England and/or Belgium will change that?
  • I don't think the excitement of the cup will really start until the knock-out stage. At the moment, it's all really shadow boxing. Perhaps one or two "big" teams may struggle to get out of the groups but i am tempted to think that they will all do so in the end. Then the real fun will start. What the results so far have shown us is that almost no-one is unbeatable. If an "unfancied" team like Belgium or England can put in the right performances, they could go far. Suddenly the prospect of meeting Brazil or Germany in the Quarter Finals doesn't seem so daunting after all.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I feel a bit that second-tier countries are catching up with the big ones, not in attacking or playing attractive football but in defending. If you have a reasonable defence these days you can stop Germany or Brazil and perhaps get a lucky goal in for the draw or the win. Of course if you're an inhabitant of these countries you'll be happy but it doesn't make for football that's interesting to watch.

But let's see the other rounds.
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Germany falls to Mexico, 1-0. In the first half, Germany had little answer to Mexico's quick counterattacks, and the second half was the standard 11-in-the-box defense from Mexico.

I suspect that Germany will still advance from the group stage and an opening loss may be a useful wake-up call for the team.

We have had some surprises but while the German defence was most un-Germanic, Mexico should have scored at least two more, and possibly more than that. Props to the German and Mexican fans for incredible support throughout.
    And with Messi missing a penalty  …

Messi is getting some terrible stick back home but it looked throughout as if the rest of the team expected him to get them out of jail. The problem is that Messi plays in a well-drilled side packed with brilliant footballers at club level while that just isn't so in the Argentina side - they are good, but not that good. The opposition can therefore close down Messi in an international and no matter how hard he tries, and he did try hard, they will always have a chance. Do that against Barcelona, even if they aren't at their very strongest and you get a thumping.

It makes Ronaldo's one-man show even more remarkable, but Portugal supported and played around him rather than sat back and watched. Whether he has anything left in the tank for the next game I doubt. He might take a breather.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Belgium isn't having a lot of trouble with Panamá right now.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I wonder why it's so quiet on the Ship? :smile:
  • It's a mystery :wink:

That's both England and Belgium on 3 points and a happy Arachnid. If we're going by genetics then I'm ¼ of each. I'm not going to know what to do with myself when they play each other.

It's traditional for my two friends and I to watch World Cup matches on holiday. Not doing it this year feels very strange. My favourite experience was taking them to visit my family in Mauritius, watching the matches in the British theme pub or beach bars. We found a gentleman from the next town over who joined us to watch the British match and at the next table the only Argentinian tourist on the island somehow managed to accidently bump into the only Swede to watch the Argentina vs Sweden match!
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    That's both England and Belgium on 3 points and a happy Arachnid. If we're going by genetics then I'm ¼ of each. I'm not going to know what to do with myself when they play each other.
    They'll probably both be through already when they do. After that, they can only meet if both reach the final.
    That was a very frustrating performance by England. Nice football but a lack of composure in front of goal - save for Harry Kane. Maybe we should have had a penalty, maybe Tunisia shouldn’t, but it shouldn’t have made a difference
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    I feel a bit that second-tier countries are catching up with the big ones, not in attacking or playing attractive football but in defending. If you have a reasonable defence these days you can stop Germany or Brazil and perhaps get a lucky goal in for the draw or the win. Of course if you're an inhabitant of these countries you'll be happy but it doesn't make for football that's interesting to watch.

I certainly would not describe Mexico's win against Germany as dull. Shots galore at both ends, especially in the first half. Mexico certainly did not start with a defensive mindset; they always kept some quick players forward , ready for a quick breakout, and could have been 3-0 up at half time with a bit more luck.
    But you are right that some of the other weaker teams facing a top-ranked opponent did focus primarily on defence , and with some success, e.g. Switzerland and Australia.
    And now Columbia has fallen to Japan. Columbia was playing a man down from the 3rd minute.

But, just to review: Columbia lost to Japan; Brazil tied with Switzerland; Argentina tied with Iceland. That means that the pride of South America is...Uruguay, who at least won their game! :wink:

• LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    If you extend it to Latin America, then Mexico's win against Germany is significant of course.
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    They'll probably both be through already when they do. After that, they can only meet if both reach the final.

Very true, and if that happens I'll be too shocked to care either way.
  • Sadly, I think that the England v Tunisia match proved me right about Sterling. He bungled a lot of things.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Is it me, or are there rather a lot of goalkeeper's errors this year?
    There is an article on the BBC site stating that, through 17 games, the "leading scorer" for the World Cup is "own goal."

So Morocco has been eliminated. An Egypt is hanging by a thread that Uruguay may be cutting in the next, oh, 45 minutes.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    There is an article on the BBC site stating that, through 17 games, the "leading scorer" for the World Cup is "own goal."
    Hmm goalkeeper and defender errors then. And a couple of posts above this, I said that countries were getting better at defending :smile:

Here is a link to the article. Apparently the tournament record is 6 own-goals (France 1998; 6 in 64 games) and so far this year there have been 5 in 17 games.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Maybe what's happening is that second-tier teams are defending more, but in the style of "let's allow the stronger team to get to our box, and we'll defend there with 11 of ours there." If this happens a lot, then a ball may get in via a defender's leg sometimes.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited June 20
    PS If Iran maintains this score against Spain, and also equalises against Portugal, then they're through and Spain is out right?

[Edit: No, I miscalculated. Then it depends on how many goals Spain make against Morocco.]
    So, technically, Portugal and Spain both won their respective games. But both struggled mightily to do it. Iran had Spain sweating it right to the end.