Keeping signed in

In the last few days I've been asked to sign in several times, although 'Keep me signed in' has already been checked.
This has never happened before.
What's going on?

GG

Comments

• peasepease Tech Admin
    It's hard to know for sure what's going on, as this depends on several different factors (including cookies). But there are a couple of things:

Unlike quite a lot of software, the forums don't check if you're already signed in when you visit the sign-in page. And they don't always get it right - seeing that page doesn't always mean that you need to sign in (it might be evidence that your cookies are out of sync). If you can see you avatar and user name above the sign-in form, then you already are signed in - click on the Categories or Discussions link, or on the bookmarks icon (if you use bookmarks).

The other thing to try is, when you're signed in, to sign out then sign back in again. Signing-out should clear the cookies, which can mess with you (just like the old boards...).
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    edited August 23
    Sorry, revising my comment because I see you did check the little box reading 'Keep me signed in'.
  • The software also seems to sign us all out every three or four weeks or so.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I've noticed this too. Rather annoying.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Ah good, glad it's not just me.

MMM
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Happened again this morning, as it has on the new Ship every 3 or 4 weeks. I'm glad to see that it's happening to others (and in a democratic way also) and not just my error in clicking the wring button by mistake.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    I too had to sign in again today. As others have stated it happens approximately every 3 weeks.
  • Something @Alan Cresswell said made me believe that there is a line in the code that says something along the lines of "sign out every month" which was originally thought to mean "sign out if not using after a month", so left in place when the site was set up. I'd have to find the post, but I think I remember Alan saying this was not a major hassle so wasn't a priority to correct while other things needed doing.
  • passerpasser Shipmate
    I've had to re-sign in twice this week already.
  • Something @Alan Cresswell said made me believe that there is a line in the code that says something along the lines of "sign out every month" which was originally thought to mean "sign out if not using after a month", so left in place when the site was set up. I'd have to find the post, but I think I remember Alan saying this was not a major hassle so wasn't a priority to correct while other things needed doing.
    I was just repeating something the tech guys had said.

And, yes there has been a lot of other stuff going on - getting the rest of the site up and running (do you all like the new MW pages?), sorting through GDPR issues, and other settling down stuff (on top of normal work to keep things running).
  • It wasn't a criticism Alan, I like computers* so had noted that comment, and also realised how much else has been going on since we first noticed this little wrinkle at the end of March.

* as in usually do a lot of the day to day computer maintenance at work, setting up and sorting out my less computer literate colleagues
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    edited August 25
    (do you all like the new MW pages?)

[TANGENT}
    Taking of the non-forum parts of the site, I thought that at a time when sexual abuse, as well as other forms of abuse, were news in the Roman Catholic Church to have the punching nun on the front page of the blogs section was rather poor taste...

...but when has the ship ever been about good taste? Keep up the good work.
    [/TANGENT}

ETA -- putting the u in forum.
  • Whenever I do Ctrl+end to go to the bottom of the page, Synthetic Dave says 'Gadgets for god' instead!! Well, I think the problem is probabhly my software and I just roll the scroll wheel down and down and down....!! Anyway, just now I decided to click on Gadgets for God - it was a 'Whoops!' window. So I wonder what this is!

• balaambalaam Shipmate
    On behalf of LRP.

When we joined the new Ship there was a glitch with her account which meant her password did not work properly. Rook did some sort of work around. As the Ship kicks people out regularly she has been kicked out effectively for good as the passwords although correct, do not work from this end.

After trying to email and getting nowhere she has just about given up on this site and relies on me for updates.

Can her login be fixed, or can a nice admin give permission for her to try a new login, if that does bot work at least we'll know it's at this end.
  • I now have to sign in EVERY time I come to the Ship, even though I make sure that the "stay signed in" box is ticked.

It's a trifle annoying but not really much of a problem.
    Miss Amanda expired again (but not, she's glad to say, for the last time) and had to log in today both to the Forums and to Mystery Worship.
  • balaam wrote: »
    On behalf of LRP.

When we joined the new Ship there was a glitch with her account which meant her password did not work properly. Rook did some sort of work around. As the Ship kicks people out regularly she has been kicked out effectively for good as the passwords although correct, do not work from this end.

After trying to email and getting nowhere she has just about given up on this site and relies on me for updates.

Can her login be fixed, or can a nice admin give permission for her to try a new login, if that does bot work at least we'll know it's at this end.

@balaam an email has just been sent to the address supplied by LRP asking her to submit a new password. That should get her back in. If it doesn't, please PM me or another admin.

• MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Doesn’t much bother me. Then I don’t participate much anyway. At least it’s good practice in remembering my password.
  • My email account (BT) asks me to sign in about once a week. This is webmail, not Outlook etc.
  • IIRC, I'm asked to sign in again every 3 or 4 weeks, as others have said happens to them. Not a problem for me, at any rate, though I can understand it if others feel frustrated at having to sign in every time!

Oddly enough, something similar happens when I go to my eBay account. Every so often, I'm asked to sign in, despite always ticking the 'keep me signed in' box.

I blame Trump. Or Boris Johnson. Or Mr. Putin. They're all (or severally) keeping an eye on me....

Paranoid, moi?
    :fearful:

IJ

BTW, yes, I do indeed like the new MW pages - a great improvement!
  • Just noticed this thread, after having to sign in again, obviously it's happening to everyone. Thought it was my old 'squirty flower' clown gadget shorting the circuits...
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Eutychus wrote: »
    balaam wrote: »
    On behalf of LRP.

@balaam an email has just been sent to the address supplied by LRP asking her to submit a new password. That should get her back in. If it doesn't, please PM me or another admin.

PM sent.
  • @balaam, I've replied!
  • I have now had to sign in again on daily basis.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Same here.
    I had to sign in yet again this morning.
  • It could be how you have the cookies set on your computer / tablet. I have to sign into everything every time I log on because that's the way I've got the laptop and tablet set up. But I did it deliberately to allow me to use a site that throws a hissy fit unless it has no cookies showing I've logged in before.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited September 27
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I had to sign in yet again this morning.
    Hmm...

The system doesn't record any diagnostic information about why it asks users to sign in - all there is to go by is what you post here. So...

Did it ask you to sign in when you first connected this morning, or when you tried to post (or something else)?

Is the clock on your computer/device correct?

And can you check the specific cookies that are being saved? (This is usually possible on desktop browsers, but not always on smartphones.) There should be between one and three cookies from forums.shipoffools.com, called Vanilla, Vanilla-tk and Vanilla-Vv.
    I’m traveling, and thus posting on an iPad. I don’t know how to check for cookies on it.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Fair enough - I don't know either...

But if you're travelling, it's likely that your IP address (or some other aspect of your connection) is changing, which could be another factor.
    Okay. If it keeps up once I’m home, I’ll let you know!
  • It’s not possible AFAIK for a normal user to view cookies on an iPhone or iPad because they are written into a protected area in iOS.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    On your iPad, you can go to settings, then to Safari, and there is a section called 'privacy and security.' Make sure 'block all cookies' is not selected.

Also, if you click 'Clear history and website data' it will reset everything (you should do this every now and then - I do it about once a month). This will mean you have to sign in again after you've done it, but hopefully then you'll stay signed in.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    IP address shouldn't be an issue - I use my iPad Mini all the time, and I use it in different coffee shops as well as at home, so it's often a different IP address, and I am not being signed out of these forums. I've been signed out only three times since I joined this new site in June (in addition to the times when I clear history and so sign myself out) so I guess it is signing me out once a month. The most recent time was a few days ago.
    I am active on another website that also uses Wordpress. It requires me to sign in again about once each month, regardless of how often I have logged onto the site during the month. It seems to be a Wordpress thing.
    I had to sign in twice today!

• I checked out Life Downunder a few days ago but didn't bother to stay because it wanted me to sign in even though I'd had to sign in a day or two earlier and as always had seen that 'Keep me signed in' was still checked.
    Very frustrating.

GG
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    The settings I use on my browser over-ride the "keep me signed in" things everywhere - here, my email website, my credit union website, etc.
  • had to sign in yesterday (work computer, in the office) -guessing the monthly thing was in effect. What I thought was the password didn't work, nor did any of the 4 other combinations of what would have been caps etc, so I reset the password
    tried to log in today (same [work] computer, different location [home], but through our work VPN). What I am sure was the password I created yesterday didn't work nor did the different possibilites of lower/upper case

I have now reset the password yet again, and have taken a specific note of what it is. I'll be trying different computers and locations to see if I still have the same issues.
  • Not only do I have to keep signing in, but I have to keep requesting a new password - they're getting swearier and swearier! I believe we've covered upthread that the software overrides remembering passwords, but I don't think anyone else has mentioned keeping needing new ones.

AG
    (somewhat peeved - which is British English for "Just about to get the assault rifle out and blow some fucker who desperately deserves it an extra set of assholes")
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Hmm...

Just because the computer says you need to sign in again doesn't always mean that you really do - I've occasionally got the sign-in page when I'm already signed in (which is easy to check, because you get your avatar, username and other icons above the sign-in form, on the right - if you're not signed in, all you see is the words "SIGN IN").

So, if it's only a day or two since you last signed in (on the particular device & browser that you're using - and assuming that you ticked "keep me signed in"), try going back to whatever page you were on before you got the sign-in page, and doing whatever you were doing again.

In general, it's not straightforward to investigate these things unless they're reproducible.
  • It also says: "Ahoy There Landlubber" if you're not signed in.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    That's on the main pages, not the sign-in page.
  • It also says: "Ahoy There Landlubber" if you're not signed in.
    Interesting if you are me!
  • pease wrote: »
    Hmm...

Just because the computer says you need to sign in again doesn't always mean that you really do - I've occasionally got the sign-in page when I'm already signed in (which is easy to check, because you get your avatar, username and other icons above the sign-in form, on the right - if you're not signed in, all you see is the words "SIGN IN").

So, if it's only a day or two since you last signed in (on the particular device & browser that you're using - and assuming that you ticked "keep me signed in"), try going back to whatever page you were on before you got the sign-in page, and doing whatever you were doing again.

In general, it's not straightforward to investigate these things unless they're reproducible.

It's reproducible for me - it's every time I try to log on. Guess what, I've just had to request a new password to get on to post this. Every time.

I'm about to close the browser and go back and try your second suggestion.

AG

• Well, it's worked thus far - let's see what happens when I turn the machine off though.

AG
    Getting back to my home computer, I found that I was signed in - so, clearly, the issue was with the iPad.
  • Still isn't keeping me logged in. And the password issue seems to be that it's just showing a random number of blobs in the password box - these do not match the number of characters in my password. So I'll just hhave to remember the thing like in the old days.

AG
  • ...but now I've turned the PC back on, and I'm still logged in. Weird!

AG
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    edited October 1
    well, (work computer, at work) I had to sign in again today - but at least the password I set on Friday was acceptable and it let me in.
    The "keep signed in" box is ticked, but I wonder if there is some sort of work-related override which is not storing cookies or whatever is needed to be kept signed in.