The lowest and the least in 1 Samuel 9: 21

RublevRublev Shipmate
edited February 12 in Kerygmania
In the Abraham cycle of stories in Genesis the author throws the traditional view of premogeniture into question by emphasising the significance of the youngest sons Isaac, Jacob and Joseph. This subversive theme re emerges with the judge Gideon and the unlikely choice of the first kings Saul, David and Solomon from the lowest and the least. Is this an OT presentation of the priority of grace above the law?

(Edited to provide link.)
Tagged:

Comments

• MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    edited February 12
    This is a fairly wide net to cast, and I'm not sure they all fit into both a "youngest son" category *and* a "lowest and least" description. Off the top of my head: I'm not sure Ishmael would, as the son of a concubine, have inheritance rights over the first son of the wedded wife. And while David may have been the youngest, the biblical writer waxes eloquent over how handsome and fit he was.

Looking at the whole sweep of the Bible, one can surely make a case that God works with the imperfect to accomplish God's will.

Nonetheless, I do not think any of the examples frim the OP are meant to show the primacy of grace over the Law. That strikes me as reading an explicitly Christian theology back into the Hebrew Scriptures, where one was not intended.
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    As a Christian I would see the whole of the scriptures as being a connected narrative. Jewish theologians consider the Exodus from Egypt to be an example of God's grace, so this is not exclusive to Christianity. The reason given for the choice of the Hebrew people is because they were 'the fewest of all' (Deut 7: 7). So I think that the persistent theme of the lowest and the least says something interesting about God.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    I don't think they are conveying a message of the priority of grace above the law. They do, though, reveal a fairly consistent theme that God may do what is unexpected, choose apparently unlikely people to do his work, and see things differently from the assumptions we make.