Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Cancer SUCKS

Comments

• Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Safely back home, and enjoying it. The cats have scarpered, hope they will return tomorrow.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    edited July 2020
    So glad to hear this. Hope the cats return.

You could try shaking the packet of Dreamies - it's how I get mine out of the loft when they have managed to break in there - or how I entice them home from across the road!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    ((( @Robert Armin ))) I’m grateful that you’re home. (Tell the cats to do their FMS duty!)
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    @Robert Armin Thankful you are home.
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    reading and sitting quietly.
    Woken this morning by unpleasant feelings in chest. Have taken pain killers which have helped a bit. If things don't improve will have to call ambulance and return to hospital, but I really don't want to do that.
  • Praying for you!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Hope you are feeling better @Robert Armin , and if you don't and had to go to hospital they sort things out and get you home pronto.
    Spent the day in hospital, but home now. Thay think it's an infection in my lungs, and I'm on antibiotics. Not exactly comfortable, but better than I was.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Glad it wasn't your heart, Robert Armin.
  • Happy to hear you are home Robert Armin. May you receive some healing rest.
    Oh, @Robert Armin! You deserve a break from all this! May you feel much better very soon.
    I am having adventures of my own. I was referred to the only neurosurgeon in a several-state area who performs a procedure called a cordotomy, in which the spine is opened up and the surgeon ablates the nerves that are causing the agony.

I took the friend who is my future trustee/executor, an attorney who is quite brilliant (and an excellent tenor), and who can be counted on to ask intelligent questions.

It’s a difficult decision to make. The side effects range from paralysis to merely destructive of all quality of life; the doc says that he’s never had a patient experience any of them, but... I would be in ICU for a night and in a regular hospital bed for another night, and be at least a week recovering in bed, but the effects should last the rest of my life. I am currently collecting information and opinions from people whom I respect.

They perform the surgery only on cancer patients.

Meanwhile, I learned on Wednesday afternoon that I was scheduled for a nerve-blocking procedure on Friday. (I thought I was Just going in for a follow-up.) Since the epidural I only recently had was already wearing off, I went ahead and had it.

It was pretty awful; the pain was so bad that I couldn’t help moaning. The nurse stationed at my head took my hand and held it, a kind and comforting gesture. When it was over, I apologized for being such a wimp, but she said, “You’ve got a lot going on down there. I would never call you a wimp.” Her compassion was what I needed.

Anyway, your prayers for my decision-making would be most welcome. Thank you!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Ross, prayers as always for you, and may all your carers be as sensitive, sensible and comforting as that nurse.
  • Ross, praying for decision-making that will give you the most comforting and favorable outcome.
  • LouiseLouise Epiphanies Host
    Hard stuff. Praying for you.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Praying for wisdom and peace with whatever your decision will be, Ross. Continuing to pray for you every day.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Prayers for you, Ross.
  • Prayers continuing for difficult decisions. 🙏🏼
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Praying for the best decision and outcome for you, @Rossweisse 🕯
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Prayers ascending
  • And ascending from here, too.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    And up here. {{{Ross}}}
    I hate those conversations where they outline (for very good legal reasons) what might go wrong. A classic was last week: "There is a risk of a stroke or death with this procedure. Now just relax as that improves the chances of success!"
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    'Procedure-related mortality' was I think the phase they used for Mr F's stem cell treatment.
  • When the consultant went through with me the possible side-effects of brain surgery, the first item on his list was Death.
    :flushed:

The second possibility was a Stroke.

TBTG, neither occurred...

The consultant was a youngish chap, who clearly didn't mince his words, and presumably felt that I was strong enough to cope with the plain English!
  • Firenze wrote: »
    'Procedure-related mortality' was I think the phase they used for Mr F's stem cell treatment.

This is probably not the place for hangman jokes, but really, that advice was not much better. Back when I was doing the failed chemo thing, I looked at the list of known side effects, and at the bottom was 'death'. Knowing that did not help me at all.

Time to send out another flock of orneries to Rossweisse - here they come!
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Prayers for you Rossweisse
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I hate those conversations where they outline (for very good legal reasons) what might go wrong. A classic was last week: "There is a risk of a stroke or death with this procedure. Now just relax as that improves the chances of success!"

Perhaps he felt that a brisk answer was the best??? Special prayers for you also at this difficult time, and for your carers.
    edited July 2020
    Thank you all. And prayers (and orneries) for @Galilit and @Robert Armin.
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    I found the doctor's comment to me very disturbing when he said I just had to learn to manage pain myself, but there was no advice given as to how I was to achieve this. This was all conveyed to me in a very pompous voice! I think I need to change doctors.
  • Maybe, but are there others (healthcare individuals or agencies) you could approach, regarding pain management? Your doctor indeed sounds unsympathetic, but hopefully you may find someone else who is more helpful...
  • @Rossweisse Prayers, and sympathy. Haven’t been here much lately for lots of reasons but hope things are improving.
    Thank you, @Ronald Binge. I’m not dead yet!

@rhubarb, that’s appalling. You would be justified in seeking another, more compassionate physician.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Catching up with the thread and praying.
    A little bit more.

I've been terribly tired, so went to have a blood test yesterday afternoon. This morning my cancer nurse rang. My blood levels are weird, "ludicrous" was the word she used. So I will have more tests next week, as it looks as though my liver might be playing up.

On the plus side, I asked for a prognosis, and she reckons months but not years. So that's not too bad. (If Trump gets defeated I'd like to see that. If, somehow, he gets in again, then Lord send your sweet chariot to carry me home!)
  • Thank you for the share, prayers continue for you.
    ... I asked for a prognosis, and she reckons months but not years. So that's not too bad. (If Trump gets defeated I'd like to see that. If, somehow, he gets in again, then Lord send your sweet chariot to carry me home!)
    My thoughts exactly. I need to live at least long enough to vote against the Orange Menace and as many of his acolytes/enablers as I can find on the ballot, and then to witness the outcome.

• bassobasso Shipmate
    May it be so, Ross.
    Either way, maybe we could share a chariot? To celebrate or commiserate.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Prayers for you both 🕯🕯
  • Amen.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    @Robert Armin and @Rossweisse . I hope you both get your wish to see the back of Trump.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    I'd definitely add my vote if I were eligible.
    Huia and Sarasa, if we vote the bastard out, I will definitely do a few steps for each of you in my wheelchair happy (quasi-)dance.
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    Sarasa wrote: »
    @Robert Armin and @Rossweisse . I hope you both get your wish to see the back of Trump.

Amen and Amen!
  • Oh yes, AMEN!
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Just back from my oncologist - have to start applying to get my drug prescription renewed as some of the doctors involved are going on holiday. (The meanies in The Health System only gave me an extension of 2 1/2 months in June!!).
    I could tell from what he said but more importantly from his body language and tone of voice that my doctor has no worries at all about my situation. He wrote a Very Explicit Covering Letter for my application: asking for 6 months extension of treatment, how there was no need for more sophisticated testing so soon etc, etc.
    I am ok for the next 6 weeks and then I have another 2 weeks grace before things start to get serious. (Or lack of things, more like)
    So I hope it all goes through the system better this time than last time which was a panic.

Of course, it is highly inconsiderate of me not to die within the clearly defined time~frame
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    All power to the Highly Inconsiderate!